Cyclone Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 04/02/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Squier: Cyclone
Like its bigger Fender brothers, this Cyclone is the best of all worlds, a hybrid of classic and modern features in a great looking versatile package. A great piece for any player or musical style.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.7
 7.6
 7.1
reviews (3) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Cyclone Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 10, 2005

Purchased from: Music123.com

Features: Weak single coil and pretty good humbucker with Vintage type vibrato on Mustang body aith 24.75 neck. No single coil splitting on 2 conductor wire humbucker. // 8

Sound: No Fender quack or jangle. It sounds real good through Marshall's turns out to be a cool guitar for playing leads. The underwound single coil I can get some great surf sounds and some okay light grind blues tone. Kinda lacking on clean tones and rythmn except if you playing some surf stuff. Middle pick up position is useless Fender screwed up here they should of split humbucker for usable rythmnn tone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Good paint some noise but resoldiered everything and brought it to a tech for set up. Wangie bar is kinda hard to put on but it getting a little easier with age. Intonation was off. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It been dropped banged still in great shape has that Fender durability. // 10

Overall Impression: Very comfie to play for lead and rhythm. Good lead tones, surf tones and stays in tune good even with vibrato use. For the money excellent and it can take a good beating to. // 10

Cyclone Reviewed by: Peterjs, on july 18, 2005

Sound: The humbucker sound is pretty much standard. I was expecting a jazzy, Strat sound with the single coil, but it lacks that. The pickup is pretty much a split between bass and treble. Normal sound that you can play on when you're not on distortion. When I was on distortion, 30w Peavey, I liked it. The single coil sounded more raspy and the humbucker was about the same as any other. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Two things were wrong with my guitar when I got it. The pickgaurd wasn't screwed down all the way and the and the strap pegs kept coming loose(they still do). They weren't that big of a problem and could could have been due to having it shipped through the mail. Everthing else was good. The bridge was adjusted well and the neck tuning pegs were on straight and functioning. // 8

Overall Impression: It is strickly a starting guitar. I still wish I would have bought something better. I do not recomend its pickup layout though. I'd go more with a 5-way Switch layout (pickup-pickup-humbucker). It gives you more of a variety of sounds. // 6

Cyclone Reviewed by: Jens Hoorn, on april 02, 2007

Purchased from: Guitarbox Meppel

Features: I bought this guitar to be my back-up guitar, and/or drop d# guitar. My other guitar is an Fender Jag-Stang, so I looked for similair pickups (single coil-humbucker). Mine came including a gigbag. but that was an extra from the shop. // 8

Sound: My music style is pretty diverse. I play Pearl Jam, The Cardigans, Deus, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers and some other genres like old blues like Ten Years After. I wanted a guitar wich gave me the posibility to play al kinds of stuff and I hate Stratocasters and Telecaster (no offense). Mostly because the necks and everybody have them already. The single coil is a little weaker than the humbucker, but it sounds good for clean chords. When you play those same chords and you wanna have a little more power and some twang; chose the humbucker. The humbucker is also great for leads. I'm happy with it. The Cyclone can match my Jag-Stang pretty good. the real big difference has to be the fact that you pay more for an Fender and that you can hear. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The man for the shop where I bought the Cyclone told me the he always prepares the new guitar for playing. So when he gets new guitars, he tunes the and adjusts the intonation. I can't say how the was when it came from the factory. All I did home was restring it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Sometimes my guitarstrap sits wrong on the holders and comes of in the middle of the action. So both of my guitar are tested on durability this way. The paint holds nice and is hard. It also doesn't de-tune by dropping it on the floor. Even when it falls on the headstock, the tuning keeps pretty good. I have to say that the guitar feels cheap when you hold it. Nonetheless, it's worth it's money. // 7

Overall Impression: This guitar is no Fender. but it's much better than other cheaper Squiers, like those Bullet Strat. Those are horrible. This guitar feels 10 times better. If you want a cheap(er) guitar, and an unique shape, and nice sounds. Get an Squier Cyclone. // 8

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ S-73 7.9 Electric Guitars 07/21/2014