Deluxe Stratocaster FMT Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 01/03/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Squier: Deluxe Stratocaster FMT
The Deluxe Stratocaster is a special edition Squier with an impressive figured maple top and a white pearl pickguard. Finishes like these are typically seen on guitars costing ten times as much. It's an amazing value, and it's a real Fender designed Stratocaster. This special run instrument is a cut above the crowd in visual appeal.
 8.8
 9.8
 7.7
reviews (2) 29 comments vote for this gear:
Deluxe Stratocaster FMT Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 28, 2005

Features: - Special Edition, made in China, 2004 - 22 Medium-Jumbo Frets, Rosewood 9. 5" Radius (241 mm), 25. 5" (648 mm)Scale Length - Body is Alder or Agathis, neck is maple, C-shaped - Flamed Maple Top, 3-color sunburst, polyurethane finish on body and neck - Standard Stratocaster body - Synchronous Twin-Pivot tremolo - 1 volume, 2 tone controls, 5-way selector - 3 Alnico Magnet single-coil pickups - Standard Die-Cast tuners - Chrome hardware, 3-ply white pearloid pickguard - No accessories. // 8

Sound: I use this guitar mostly to play blues, punk, and metal. This is the best guitar I've played for blues, plays, sounds, and feels as well as a Fender Standard Strat, great sustain, stays in tune even through whammy dives and string bends. Great for punk, especially surf-punk. This guitar is my 2nd choice for metal, only because I'm a humbucker guy when laying on the gain and distortion, but my first choice among other single-coil axes. I'm normally use this through a Drive 120-watt DSP amp, Danelectro Wasabi distortion pedal, (or a Zakk Wylde Overdrive if I want chunk, not distortion), and a Dunlop 535Q Wah pedal. This guitar isn't noisy at all whether playing clean, distorted, or through an overdriven amp, very rich and bright sound. This guitar can make all kinds of sounds, the action is great for pinch harmonics, the whammy is dual pivot, meaning you can pull up for screams as well as dive down for moans. The action is also great for bends, trills, slides, etc all over the neck. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came out of the box ready to play, I didn't need to make any adjustments at all. The action is perfect for just about anything, so no truss-rod adjusting needed. the pickups were set up great, all strings ring loud and clear for the length of the neck, no dull frets and no fret buzz. The finish and hardware were set up great, the pickup selector and control knobs adjust with no noise, this guitar has no flaws so far (after 7 months of ownership). My only complaint is having to remove the wrap from the pickguard and under the control knobs, but it's no big deal at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will excel for live playing, very durable and trustworthy. The hardware seems strong, no loose parts at all. The strap buttons are solid, no drops yet. I would definitely use this guitar through a whole gig with no backup. The finish is great, no wear yet, will last for a long time, even with heavy playing. // 10

Overall Impression: Again, I play mostly blues, punk and metal with this guitar and it's a perfect match for each. I've been playing for 9 years and this is the best guitar I've come across for the amount I've paid for it. I also own an Ibanez Artcore hollowbody, Ibanez Dreadnought acoustic, Epiphone Studio LP, Gibson Custom LP, Fender American Strat, and a cheap nylon-string classical guitar, don't recall the make offhand. The Squier Deluxe Strat is among my favorites because of the versatility to play all styles of music. Don't be fooled by the Squier name, this guitar plays and feels exactly like an expensive Fender Strat, in fact I bought it to back up my Fender American Strat, but I find myself using the Squier almost exclusively. If this guitar were lost or stolen, then I'd definitely buy it again, I'd may even buy the quilted-top version too. What I love most about this guitar is that it simply sounds amazing, there's nothing to hate about it. My favorite features are the beautiful finish, the dual-pivot tremolo (first I've seen on a Squier), and the '60s retro oversized head looks great too. I compared this to other Squier strats, and this guitar beats them all in looks, feel, sound, and features. The only thing I could ask for is that Squier would make a Fat-strat (2 single coil, one humbucker at bridge) with these features, as far as this guitar goes, it's perfect. // 10

Deluxe Stratocaster FMT Reviewed by: KillYourIdols, on january 03, 2006

Features: I bought the Squier Deluxe Strat quilted top in 2004 for my birthday. It was a step up from a Les Paul Special II. It was made in 2004 and in the USA. The neck has medium jumbo frets and a 25 1/2" scale neck. My hands are quite big so it has enough room for my fingers. The neck is thin and very smooth. I would say that it is one of the best necks I have played on. The guitar has a quilted maple top and you can pick either an alder or agathis body. The finish on the guitar is beautiful! It caught my eye when I first entered Guitar Center. It has a deluxe antique burst finish that will captivate you! I didnt even beleive it was a Squier (many people think that Squiers are poorly made guitars but its not true). The body style is of course a Stratocaster. The bridge is a Synchronous Twin-Pivot Tremolo and are seen on very expensive Fender guitars. The controls that are given is volume, 2 tone, and 5 way Switch. The pickup configuration is S/S/S. If you don't like S/S/S, you can add pickups to your liking because of the swimming pool route. No need for expensive routing. The tuners are standard die cast tuners and the guitar did not come with any accessories. // 10

Sound: The music I play is mainly rock. The guitar is really great for anything. I play a little blues on it and it is awesome. I run the Strat through a Fender 212FM amp with a Boss Distortion pedal. The guitar does have a little buzz at high volumes with distortion. For me I think it isnt a big deal. The settings that I use for songs that have distortion is: volume - 10, tone - 10, tone - 10, and 5 way selector on middle and bridge pickups. Another setting that I use for songs without distortion or you just want a clean sound is: volume - 10, tone - 10, tone - 10, and 5 way selector Switch on neck and middle pickups. The sound on the guitar can vary. Mainly its the pickups and settings that you use. I have went to Kurt Cobain's noisy distortioned guitar to a clean, no effects, guitar. It all depends on your taste and this guitar will live up to it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup on the guitar was very good. But I had to do some alterations to my liking. The pickups were adjusted to a nice height. The guitar had no flaws in the finish. As I said before the finish will stun you. The guitar was new becuase I bought it at Guitar Center. Came right out of the box and was the last one at that time. I am very pleased with this purchase. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The hardware on the guitar seems like it is going to last for a very long time. That's if you take care of it. The strap buttons are very solid. I don't have any problems about it dropping but I prefer you to buy a locking strap. You dont want to drop it and mess up the finish! I can really depend on this guitar. The finish on the guitar is going to last and isn't going to wear off just by playing. It might wear off if you throw it around. Hey! Why would you do that to a beatiful guitar? // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this guitar is that it is more bang for your buck. They are selling it at Guitar Center for $250! This guitar looks and feels like a $700 guitar! This guitar is really amazing. I highly recommend it for anybody that is a beginner or a pro. If my guitar was stolen I would buy another one. I wouldnt get something else! I really love the finish and the tremolo. This guitar does not go out of tune easily. That is a really nice feature. This is an awesome guitar! Go out there and buy one. // 10

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Standard Strat 7.5 Electric Guitars 08/25/2014