Deryck Whibley Telecaster Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 08/29/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Squier: Deryck Whibley Telecaster
Squier's latest uber-cool artist signature model is the Artist Series Deryck Whibley Telecaster guitar. Whibley, as all the cool punk-pop kids know, is the leader of Juno-winning Canadian punk-pop trio Sum 41. His new Squier signature model nails the vibe of a classic '70s Fender Telecaster Deluxe model, with features including Whibley's signature red X graphics, a single ferocious Duncan Designed humbucking pickup and retro-cool "blackface" amp control knobs.
 Features: 8.3
 8.5
 7.4
reviews (3) 124 comments vote for this gear:
Deryck Whibley Telecaster Reviewed by: Lt hilsdorf, on november 28, 2007

Features: Here are the basics: This is a Deryck Whibley Telecaster, made in 2007 in Indonesia. It has 21 frets on a maple neck, with an agathis body. The body is black with a polyester finish and has one Ducan HB-120 chrome pickup at the bridge. Just one volume and one tone knob. Pretty basic really, but I was pleasently surprised at the quality thus far. It's based of the model Deryck uses Live, and '72 Telecaster Deluxe (I think) with 2 red X's on the body and one pickup removed. // 8

Sound: When I play music, it's usually classic rock or punk for the most part (the old stuff from it's early history and the more modern varieties), and this guitar fits both fairly decently, though it does tend to lean more to the punk end. I use a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp with a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal. With the combination and this guitar you'll end up with an extremely loud distorted tone. This guitar is VERY loud due to that Seymour Duncan pickup. I actually have to turn the distortion on my pedal down quiet a bit to make it not a complete distorted mess. For punk this is good, but the classic rock tone isn't as easy to get, though a bit of tinkering produced some decent results. Mind you, they were not as good as my Epiphone Dot or 57` Les Paul Junior Reissue creates. Just be aware, this is definatly a punk guitar through and through. Also, it's really only a Telecaster in looks only, there's not much, if any, of that twangy sound you'd expect. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I recieved this guitar out of the box from the storage room in House Of Guitars. iI had a good look at it before deciding on it and noticed one problem. Many frets past the 12th fret had a good deal of rust on them. The worked said he'd have someone take a look and fix it. A little while later the frets were good as new. This was the only real problem, so be forewarned that you may have a similar issue, though it could have been bad luck for me. Anyway, the finish itself was fine and the factory setup seemed to my liking, though I will probly tinker with it as time goes on. The pickups seemed fine and the bridge was also without any problems I could see. The only problem people may have is with the distinctive red X's on the pick guard and near the bridge. They aren't removable, but it's part of buying this signiture guitar so you probably won't care too much if you're looking at this particular model. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I feel this guitar would definatly withstand a Live gig. I'd probably add some strap locks to it for the added safety, but there's nothing wrong with it. A lot of people seem to not like Squier guitars, but from what I've seen this guitar is of a pretty good quality. I'd definatly use a backup because you never know what could happen onstage. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about almost 2 years and this was my third guitar, my others being an Epiphone Dot and Les Paul Jr '57 Reissue. The only real problems I can see with this guitar is the fact that it can only do one thing: play punk. I'm sure I'll outgrow it eventually, but until then it will fit my punk needs perfectly. For $250 I feel this was a good bargin, though it's probably worth a little less then that. If it were stolen or lost, I'd probably save up for something like a real '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue (which is around $700, but offers a greater variety of tones) or maybe even just a Fender Standard Telecaster. For a beginner or someone who just plays punk, I would definatly recommend this guitar. I was very surprised at the quality of this and you may feel the same way. // 7

Deryck Whibley Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 23, 2008

Purchased from: Musos Corner, Newcastle NSW

Features: Designed in 2007 by Deryck Whibley and Fender/Squire, made in Indonesia I think. 21 frets on the ever so lovely maple neck. Only 2 controls are given, volume and Tone. The body is olympic white, with a black pickguard. With Duncan-Designed HB-120. Very basic design, but great quality for the price. // 8

Sound: This suits my music style nicely, as I play punk/rock. I wouldn't use this guitar as a lead, mainly a rythm guitar. I use Marshall amps and I also use my little SX practice amp. Sounds great through both. Yeah the distortion is very loud, I myself also have to turn it down when using distortion. This guitar, like I said, should be used as a rythem guitar, but, can also be used as a lead, as it can produce nice high bright sounds on the frets closer to the body. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I had this guitar ordered in from Sydney, NSW, when I recieved it, where you plug your lead into, was broken, so I had to take it back and get it fixed. The pick-ups were fine. Everything else was excellent, other than the plug-in on the side. That was the only problem. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I use this guitar Live when playing, have used it up to 15 times, still going good as gold, excellent. It seems like it will last, as it looks like it did when I opened it from the box. The strap buttons were not solid, my strap kept on coming off, so I added some strap locks to it, now it's cool. I've heard squires are really bad quality, as I only bought this due to deryck whibleys make, but after playing this, I'd rate squires right up there with the best. // 9

Overall Impression: I play punk/rock, great match for that style, but could be used for basically any other style, depends what effects/amps you use I guess. I have been playing for 3 years, I have Fender 72' Telecaster (nearly the same as this), SX Strat and Mexican Fender Strat. If this was stolen, I would definetly order another one in. I love the colous and the distortion sound. I don't hate anything about this. My favourite feature would have to be the maple neck, I love the look of it. I compared it with an Epiphone SG-400, I liked this sound better so I chose it, but it was a close call. Uhh I wouldn't mind it having another humbucker in the neck postion, but life goes, I like it how it is. // 10

Deryck Whibley Telecaster Reviewed by: dragonkidkoga, on august 29, 2011

Price paid: C$ 300

Purchased from: Long And McQuade

Features: Squier by Fender Deryck Whibley Telecaster made in April, 2007 in Indonesia. 21 medium jumbo frets maple neck and fretboard with an agathis body. Body comes in 2 colors black or Olympic white with polyester finish and 1 Duncan-Designed HB-102 humbucker pick-up Chrome plated cover in the bridge. It is a String-thru body telecaster. It has 1 volume and 1 tone knob. Squier Standard Die-Cast tuners. Has a custom Fender '72 Telecaster 3-ply pickguard. Chrome hardware. Fender Super 250L, and .009 - .42 nickel plated steel strings (perfect for beginners). Some unique features are the "Deryck" Signature on the "Large 60's Style Strat Headstock" with the Signature "X's" on the body and pickguard with "No belly cut on body". It didn't come with anything at all. // 9

Sound: It suits my music style perfectly. I play punk and I am the rhythm guitarist of the band "K.R.PunK77". I use a used Treynor amp which I got for 70$, the owner of the shop didn't know what the model was. I also use a BOSS DS-1 Pedal which gives it a noisy metallic sound (the best I could get from that) and with Tone at 2 o'clock and distortion at max with the level at around 11 o'clock (same as my amp) those settings are pretty good for the nice "creative" sound that will give you some heavy rock tones, not so much bass though. The amp settings I use are mostly for solos which is Bass: 2 Mid: 2 Treble: 8. It's very noisy and instead of turning the guitar down I turn it all the way up and turn the distortion down. It has alot of feedback that's very noisy and will give you a loud "screaming" noise when untouched. The variety isn't so much can play from Metallica to Sum 41 (half hour of power, does this look infected, chuck and screaming bloody murder) (distorted) and Sum 41's "all killer no filler and underclass hero" to Blink-182 when clean not much of a variety but I only play punk so it's great when paired with those amp settings/distortion settings. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well the guitar was setup really well, I had no problems at all, everything was perfect (even the tuners and strap locks), the action is great. It's really awesome and comfortable you just have to pick it up, put a strap on, and play (connecting distortion is really just an option if you have overdrive on your amp) it's really great for solos like the one in "In Too Deep" or "Grab The Devil By The Horns" and "Ride The Chariot To The Devil" which I just learned a few minutes ago. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar I've moved from BC then to Washington then to Oregon and I've played Sooo many gigs throughout the Summer, I'm in Richmond so I've moved to Vancouver to do a gig about 20 times (just in the summer) when I got it (first day of summer) I played for around 5 hours straight playing tabs with my laptop. It seems like it will last longer than I will and I'm definitely going to keep this, though when I'm older I'd like to put the neck on the guitar I built myself but I will definitely order another one in! I definitely depend on it as it is the ONLY guitar I have right now and I've done 20 gigs about 2-3 hours long and it's still good as gold when I practice/recorded on it (I upgraded from a Slammer by Hamer SP-1). The finish will definitely last a long time probably as long as my guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I play punk and this is definitely AMAZING although I could use more tone because I'd like to play "Grab The Devil By The Horns" better and hopefully get an Epiphone SP-II (pretty cheap). I've been playing for about a year and I'm can play better than most of my other friends who have been playing for 3 years. The other gear I used to own was a crappy Slammer by Hamer SP-1 which was ok for metal but terrible for punk and not enough noise and had terrible tone. There isn't anything that I'd would've asked beforehand. I love everything about this guitar and the only thing I hate is that it can only play punk and only has 1 pickup so I can't customize it (won't matter after I build my guitar). If this was stolen or lost I would definitely buy this instead of buying a Gibson (I've used a Gibson SG Reissue and an LP Studio). Before buying it I played a few Epiphones and Gibsons at Long and Mcquade paired up with a Marshall amp and this is better paired up with my DS-1 and 5-watt Treynor amp. I wish this had a maple body and another a JB-4 Humbucker or an invader in the neck but that's just me (It's because I want my own PERSONAL guitar, one that I MADE). // 10

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ S-73 7.9 Electric Guitars 07/21/2014