Double Fat Strat Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 02/15/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Squier: Double Fat Strat
Single-coil pickups are bright and versatile, but some players need the crunch and power of two humbucking pickups straight-up. If you?re that kind of player, our Double Fat Strat was designed for you.
 8.4
 8.8
 7.9
review (1) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Double Fat Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 15, 2006

Purchased from: Sound Control

Features: No too sure the date this guitar was produced. Manufactured in Indonesia. Maple neck with 21 jumbo frets, quite fast with no shrp edges on the fret wire. Laminated top with 3 tone sunburst finish. Think the boy is alder but I'm not too sure. Squier trem unit, doesnt go out of tune right away. Passive pickups, 2 humbuckers with 3 way select Switch, 1 volume and 2 tone. Stock pickups. Non-locking tuners, hold tune quite well. The guitar came with a little bag with an allen key for adjusting the truss-rod and an allen key for adjusting the action. A spare spring for the back of the trem unit was also included. // 8

Sound: I bought this guitar as part of a starter package around 3 years ago now. I bought the guitar with a Marshall MG10CD amplifier. Run through the MG10, the guitar would not suit any of the music styles I played at that time (grunge and classic rock), however this was mainly due to lack of tone control on the amplifier. When ran through my current set-up (a Marshall MG-100DFX, Boss GT-6) the guitar can achieve a wide variety of sounds from most music styles. The pickups lack power at times but this only affects heavier types of music. I have found no background hum or static from this guitar in the time I have used it. Without effects units however, the guitar lacks variety of sounds as the guitar is only equipped with two humbucker pickups. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: After purchase of the guitar, a fault on the bridge caused the D string to keep snapping. I put the guitar into a guitar technician from the shop I bought the guitar and the problem was sorted. Apart from this problem, the guitar was fine, itonation was good and the action was low for a Strat. Only flaw have found with the guitar is how poorly the nut was fixed to the neck, it was slightly squint but wasnt wide enough to fit the neck so didn't cover the whole width of the neck. Throught time, the valume and tone pots have become loose, these are easily tightened though. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is solid, it is built like a tank. I would have no problem playing this guitar without a backup (if it sounded as good as my Schecter and didnt have the Squier logo on the top). I have dropped this guitar countless times and each time it only comes out with scratches or dents so I wouldn't have a problem feeling it was going to break. The finish is strong, after three years, the finish still looks exactly the same as it did when I bought it (despite tiny chips and scratches). Other guitars I own have worn away where my right elbow sits on the body, I don't have this problem with my Squier. // 10

Overall Impression: For a beginners guitar, you can't ask much more of the Squier Double Fat Strat. I'm sure Squier didn't design this guitar with playing sold out tours in mind. I'm sure with new pickups and tuners it would do the job though. This guitar is built brilliantly. After buying this guitar I have also bought a Fender Mexican Telecaster, an Epiphone G-400 SG, a Freshman acoustic and a Schecter Tempest Blackjack. The Squier compares easily with the Epiphone and the Mex Tele. If this guitar was stolen or lost I probably wouldn't buy another as I don't use this guitar live or play it very often. I love the neck on this guitar, it compares well with most other guitars I've ever played. When buying the guitar I compared it to a Peavey Telecaster styled guitar (can't remember which), I mainly chose the Strat over the Peavey due to price and shop recommendation. I'm glad I chose the Strat. Things I wished it had are better pickups and coil tapping for a wider variety of sound. For 140 what more can you want though? Squier have made a great guitar for the price. Fabulous beginners guitar. // 10

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Classic Vibe 60's Telecaster Custom 9.6 Electric Guitars 08/20/2014