M-77 Review

6.6
review (1) 16 comments vote for this gear:
M-77 Reviewed by: rug_doctors1, on august 23, 2006

Purchased from: Ithaca Guitar Outlet

Features: Discontinued, so I don't know the year. Set neck with 22 jumbo frets. 24.75" scale length. Solid mahogany body with a maple cap, not veneer. Single cutaway Les Paul Classic style, a very nice copy. Tune-O-Matic bridge. 2 Duncan Designed hubuckers with no covers. 3-way selector with two tone and two volume knobs, LP style. Comes in a variety of finishes, most commonly cherry flame top and black. Mine is black and it polishes up nicely. The tuners are some die cast non locking grover copys which are actualy pretty good. Plus, I got a nice gig bag and strings for free when I purchased it. // 9

Sound: I play a mix of classic rock and new rock, and this guitar is all I need. I run it through a DigiTech RP80 pedal for distortion, but it sounds fantastic just plain clean through most amps. The Duncan Designed pickups are a lot more than I expected, the bridge pickup is really hot and the neck is quite the opposite. A big step up from flat no name pickups, if you'd ask me. Although I'll probably replace them down the line. The pickups are sheilded, so the guitar itself is very quiet. The Koreans have been making guitars for so long that they figured out how to do it really well! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This thing has the fastest neck I've ever played in my life. Hammer ons and pull offs happen so much more naturaly. I didn't touch the settings. The bridge is easy enough to adjust, if I wanted to, though. Overall quality of this thing is astounding, and I didn't know it was a Squier until I looked at the headstock and read the name. don't let the name fool you, this isnt your everyday cheap ripoff guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'd gig with this guitar without a backup, as long as it had straplocks. There's nothing about it that gives me the impression of it being flimsy and I'm confident it could handle a fall, although it does have a set neck and I'd hate to see that happen. My only complaint is that mine is black and thus pickmarks show up a little easier in the right lighting. // 10

Overall Impression: Pretty much, I went out looking for the best Les Paul styled guitar I could find under $700, and I found one that was more than I could ask for. I don't know why they discontinued these, because it's a solid guitar and it looks good too. The only thing I wish it had was some protection for the body near the input, as I'm always worried I'll end up jabbing and scratching the body when I plug in. // 9

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Standard Strat 7.5 Electric Guitars 08/25/2014