M-80 Special Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 11/12/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Squier: M-80 Special
The Squire M-80 Special is a sleek, modern, sophisticated looking, fast-playing double cutaway electric guitar. Designed by Custom Shop Senior Master Builder Todd Krause, it features a bolt-on neck, basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, 2 black humbuckers, chrome hardware, and more!
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.3
 Features: 7.8
 7.9
 7.8
reviews (4) 50 comments vote for this gear:
M-80 Special Reviewed by: emo_rocker89, on october 17, 2005

Purchased from: Musician

Features: The Squier M-80 Special is a 21-fret double cutaway electric guitar with dual humbuckers. It has a basswood body and a maple neck. Two volume and two tone controls can be used to shape your sound, and a 3-way pickup selector Switch is standard. I found the features to be easy to use, high quality, and able to give me a wide variety of sounds. The only complaint I would have is that the pickup Switch is very weak. // 8

Sound: I play punk rock, hard rock, metal, and classic rock and this guitar is perfect for all styles that I have used it for. It can produce creamy highs and guttural lows for any style, and can easily measure up to much more expensive guitars. I run this guitar through a Line 6 Spider II 210, and it sounds excellent. It tends to have a brighter sound, which I prefer. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was perfectly set-up when I received it. The pickups were at the correct postition and the bridge needed no adjusting. I took it out of the box, tuned it, and it was ready to play. The only complaint regarding this is that when I got this guitar, the strings were already rusted. However, I do not know if this is because if the company or where I purchased it from. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have used this guitar to play live shows with, and it has held up exceedingly well. I was forced to use it as my main guitar when my Les Paul was damaged before a show recently, and it performed wonderfully. The hardware and finish appear to be quite good, and are in no danger of being damaged from shows. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I was greatly impressed with this guitar. It is perfect for punk, hard rock, metal, blues, or almost anything else possible. It measures up easily in quality and tone to my Les Paul, which cost over 3 times as much as this guitar. The price is one of the most astounding aspects; this is an amazing guitar for under 200 dollars. If it was lost or stolen, I would definitely buy another one immediately. Don't be fooled by the Squier name; this guitar is anything but low-quality. // 9

M-80 Special Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 31, 2006

Purchased from: Belli Brothers

Features: I picked up this guitar as my second guitar, the main reason being the humbuckers. I had been playing guitar for a year and doing considerable research, so as not to waste my money. The humbucker pickups are great, do not get a guitar with single coil unless you enjoy static and a constant buzzing. The neck wood is rosewood, which as I understand is a great wood, everthing seemed pretty much together. There are two volume knobs and two tune knobs which are great for getting the most out of your controls. 22 frets in all. One problem for inexperenced players is the fact that the neck does not have dots on the face and only has dots on the upper side of the wood. This is confusing and diffacult to play at first, personally I prefer my dots on the front and top so I can reference where I am quickily, however once you get use to playing while referncing from the top dots it doesn't make a difference. Why they did this I don't know, maybe to make it look badass because no one can tell it even has dots except the player. If you care enough you could paint or mark your own dots, or symbols on without too much trouble, just make sure you use the right paint. // 8

Sound: I use a spider Line 6 amp, it has a computer in it with quite a few effects, and sounds. The guitar is really clean thanks to the humbuckers. While I have little experence with other guitars, other guitars tend to sound alot more dirty. Not to say this dirty sound is bad its just different. The M-80 sounds really bright and clean, that's not to say you can't distort the hell out of it and make it sound like a monster. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar has a good action and is pretty comfortable to play. There was one main problem that plagued me for about a month. The nut kept falling out of the output jack (where your guitar plug goes in). No matter how much I tightened the little bastard down it just would not stay. I took it back to the shop and it turned out that the actual output jack was stripped so they had to soder in a brand new one. This was covered by the warranty so it wasn't too big a deal. Whether this is simply my case or happans in others I don't know. What it does prove is that they do not handcheck and inspect the guitar. Thankfully you can, and with the warranty avoid any costly problems or repairs (not that I have found anymore). Just a heads up to inspect the guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Its hard to say, I've had the guitar for 3 months. I had an interesting problem about 2 months after I got the guitar, the first fret on the B and High E string sounded really twangy, like a citar. This problem onset itself about 2 months after I got the guitar (I've had the guitar for four months). When I held down the strings on either those two frets the string was slightly touching another fret. I brought it back to the shop the same time I brought it back for the output jack. All he had to do was adjust the screws at the end of the neck to bring the taper up a little. The shop owner said that it was due to the humidity and heat. Once again covered by the warranty and not a problem. So, whether this was the guitar problem or the weather and happans to all guitars I don't know. The good thing was it was covered by the warranty, wasn't a big deal and now sounds great as ever. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a lot of genres, metal, punk, grunge, jazz. I have two teachers, ones a metal head and ones a classical guitarist. When the metal head picked up the guitar he approved it with flying colors. I feel that for a mid grade guitar this is one of the better ones availble in sound and style. For the price range there are alot of guitars availble however, most of them don't have humbuckers, rosewood and a good warranty. For the price, compared to most other guitars in its level, I would recommend this guitar. Infact if I lost it, I wound't consider a higher level guitar, and most likely buy this one again. I was worried when buying this guitar about the quality, I didn't wanna spend a lot but wanted something that sounded good, and the name Squier kinda turned me off. However, it's proved it worth, and I recommend it to you. Even when I move up to higher more flashy guitars, I think I will always be able to depend on this one for a good sounding solid backup. Happy guitar hunting. // 9

M-80 Special Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 03, 2006

Purchased from: media play

Features: Our local Media Play went out of business. I was just toying with the collection of crap 'til I played the M-80. I was pleasantly surprised and since I own an early model (Jap) Squire Strat, I know they can be hit or miss good/bad. I had to set it up, but I love the feel. I do find the selector Switch to be cheap but replacable. I've owned it a day but have no regrets so far. I don't buy without first playing, but at the price I couldn't pass. This is more than just a beginner guitar. Close your eyes and let your ears/hands make the call. // 9

Sound: Haven't owned it long enough to experiment, but can see it being very versital. It is very comfortable and easy on the eyes, like a good woman. It is for sure a quiet (humbucking) guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was in good shape, but I had to take several out of the boxes to find one with a straight neck. One was twisted. Two were straight. A father and son bought the other good one. Selector Switch is cheap and flimsy. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I always take two gutars to gigs, I can't wait to play this one live. I don't foresee any problems. Like all instuments, just take care of the damn thing and it will last you. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar was/is definitely a bang for the buck buy. I would recommend it for any seasoned player, especially a Fender player like myself. Don't let the made in Indonesia fool you. I own a recording studio and definitely plan on using this for recording. Hey, why not? // 9

M-80 Special Reviewed by: BGM>YOU, on november 12, 2007

Features: The M-80 is a 21 fret piece of crap basically. It has a maple neck that within about two or three months of getting it becomes very worn hard to play on. It really doesn't have many good features to it besides the fact that strings can be put on it very easily and it's impossible to break. // 6

Sound: I have a variety of sounds that I'll play in. The main one would be grunge, and it does actually give an okay sound for that. But, I like to play a lot of hardcore and Morello-like things. And it is no good there. I don't use a ton of effects. A wah and a comple distortion pedals. My amp has built in effects like delay, chorus, tremold, ect. and really if I use the slightest distortion I can't even hear those effects well. It has an overall mediocre sound. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up terrible evidently. Maybe that's why I hate it so much. The pickups are probably my biggest problem. Within two months of owning the guitar out of the blue both screws on one of my pickups go flying out. I pick them up to notice that one is significantly larger than the other. And it has other flaws. The wiring is bad. When you plug the cable into it, a wire inside revolves, and if you plug it (or move it at all) much at all. The wire breaks. And I'm suprised after about five times of this happening it even works. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Yet again. The hardware is awful. So no. The strap usually stays on fairly well though. And I can depend on it for jamming and acting crazy (and no, that isn't why it gets messed up. I started going crazy with it when I found out what a pile of crap it was and how little I would care if I broke it). The finish is okay. Since I got this as a gift it isn't really what I wanted. But it's okay, plus the guitar itself only weighs about eight pounds. And since at the moment I have no backup. Yes. // 5

Overall Impression: I answered style up there. I've only been playing for somewhat over a year. I own a wah, distortion, and delay pedals. I wish I had asked for another guitar. I would definately get something else if it were stolen. I like that it's light and sturdy. I think you know how much I hate most everything about it though. // 6

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Vintage Modified Telecaster Custom 6.8 Electric Guitars 10/28/2014