OBEY Graphic Stratocaster HSS Collage Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 12/04/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Squier: OBEY Graphic Stratocaster HSS Collage
Squier's OBEY Graphic Stratocaster HSS Collage puts an awesomely eye-catching spin on a classic Fender instrument, with a collage of distinctive Shepard Fairey design elements.
 8.3
 8.4
 8.1
reviews (2) 37 comments vote for this gear:
OBEY Graphic Stratocaster HSS Collage Reviewed by: Toy Soldier, on july 13, 2007

Purchased from: Music and Arts

Features: This model is Indonesian made. - Basswood body - Maple neck with rosewood fingerboard - 22 medium frets - Un-plated hardware - Die-cast machine heads - Fixed bridge - No pick guard - 2 single-coil Alnico magnet pickups (neck and center) - Duncan Designed HB102B hum bucker with alnico magnets - 5-way switching - 1 volume, 2 tone controls - Obey collage graphic top - Antique violin back and sides - Oxidized and worn hardware It came with 3 tools, one for taking the neck off, one for changing strings and one for removing pickups. // 9

Sound: It has amazing sound. It can go from blues to metal to rock to punk, anything you can think of. I play a lot of rock and punk and it sounds great playing both. I'm using a Roland Micro Cube with it and the only bad thing is you have to turn the volume up a little loud to get it to sound good, but that's just the amp. The amp has flanger, phaser, chorus, tremolo, delay, and reverb. The guitar sounds awesome with and without the effects. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Um everything on the guitar was perfect. All I had to do was tighten the whammy bar and tune it a little. But, overall everything is on nice and tight and in the right place. Ha-ha. The only thing I wished they had done was made an owner's manual to go with it. Oh and I did shine it when I got home because it looked really bad. But after I shined it, it looked amazing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has withstood 4 days of pretty much non-stop playing, and it seems like it will last. The strap buttons seem to be on pretty well, and I would definitely depend on it at a gig without a back up. The finish is great and will easily last. It's been knocked up against a few amps, walls, and tables, and hasn't chipped or scratched once. // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly play punk, and rock, and both sound great on the guitar. I've been playing for about a year now. I own an acoustic (don't know the brand) a Levy's gig bag and strap, and a Roland Micro Cube. If it was stolen I think I'd buy it again or the blue sunburst Les Paul. I absolutely love the design and I hate nothing. I also love the whammy bar. I compared it to the Les Paul, and I got this one because that's the only one I could afford at the moment. // 9

OBEY Graphic Stratocaster HSS Collage Reviewed by: stormcrow82, on december 04, 2009

Features: Circa 2006, Indonesia Strat Body Custom Paint Job 22 Fret Maple Neck with Rosewood Fingerboard Basswood Body Standard Tremolo 1 Volume and 2 Tone Knobs Standard Tuners S-S-H Passive Pickups (more info below) Solid Body, No Pickguard // 7

Sound: Have used it on a Line 6 Spider III 15, a Crate Half Stack, and a Johnson 2X12. Sounds fair, humbucker is much louder than the single coils. The single coil pickups are NOT hum canceling. You will experience hum in every switch setting except H and S-S (2 and 5). Nothing special about the pickups, just plain and fairly versatile. It's a basswood body, so it's neither bright nor dark tones. The single coils hum noticably, but it's been a while since I've had any other guitar, so I don't know if that's normal or not. I'm giving Sound a 5 because the pickups are good, middle-of-the-road, for a beginner or for practicing. The humbucker seems to be a mid-output, while the single coils give 1/2 the volume of the humbucker. Not quite the sound I want, but for the money they aren't terrible, at all. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar needed set up badly from the get-go. The tuning hardware was somewhat loose and almost all of it needed tightened up. The pickups, action, and intonation needed set, which should be checked and done with any new guitar, no biggie there. There was one re-drill hole for one of the screws that holds the neck pickup into place. The finish was good, no flaws there, controls and switch are tight. Everything seemed routed good as well. The neck was almost perfectly straight when I remembered to check it, last week. Considering I forgot to when I purchased it and it was only about 1/32 off, that's not too bad. The tremolo only had two springs, did not work well with the DiMarzio hybrid strings I use. The tremolo came all of the way up, and the strings I use are three heavy gauge bass and three lighter gauged treble strings. I put two more springs in it (total of 4) to make it more like a fixed bridge. I'm not a fan of tremolo systems anyways, so I recommend anticipating buying at least one tremolo spring if you get this. You could also get two or three springs or even a tremol-No clamp, if you want to make it more like a fixed bridge guitar. I'm giving this rating an 8. Tightening hardware isn't that big of a deal, it's something that should be checked/done when getting a new guitar, but the mis-drilled hole for the neck pickup is going to be a small hassle to fix. Only two tremolo springs come in this guitar (from my understanding and reading of a few other reviews) and it's not a big deal to put more in, but it should come with three, because two makes using the tremolo system impossible heavier gauge strings, due to the tremolo coming all of the way up when tuned. // 8

Reliability & Durability: You CAN play live with this guitar, you just have to dial in your sound with your amp. Probably better for Rythem than Lead with the stock pickups. Hardware is good, I don't see myself replacing the hardware anytime soon. Strap buttons are solid, haven't loosened or wallowed out after two years. I feel like I can depend on this guitar, but I would never use any guitar on a gig, without a backup, so that's a pretty moot question. The finish has held up extremely well over the past two years, seems pretty danged good to me. This deserves a 10. Mine has taken it's fair shares of bumps and falls over the past two years and still looks like I just bought it. I don't touch the body with a pick, so I don't know what the lack of a pickguard would effect, in the hands of someone Who scrapes the body with a pick. // 10

Overall Impression: Seems to be a good Rock/Alternative guitar, maybe Blues. It's good for Rythem, but that may change with different pickups. I've been playing guitar for a few years and bass for a few years before that. I own a Kramer bass, a Raven bass, a Crate BFX 220 head and matching 2X15 cabinet, and a Line 6 Spider III 15 guitar amp. If this were stolen or lost, I would get another. I like the paint job and am confident that replacing the pickups will round out the sound I want from this guitar. Love the paint job, don't care for the pickups. It's cool for a beginning guitar, but don't buy this and expect to sound as awesome as it looks. My favorite feature? No pickguard and it's not made out of plywood. I'm going to replace all of the pickups and have some push-pull pots put in. For the cost of the guitar and replacing the SSH pickups, I will have spent less than $500, so I don't think that's too bad for a gig-worthy guitar. I'm giving it an Overall of 7. I think that's fair considereing a good beginner guitar should be a "5" on a scale of 1 to 10. It's an awesome beginner guitar (that can be gig-worthy with better pickups) and a pretty well-priced one, at that. // 7

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Standard Strat 7.5 Electric Guitars 08/25/2014