OBEY Graphic Telecaster HS Propaganda Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 02/02/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Squier: OBEY Graphic Telecaster HS Propaganda
Squier's OBEY Graphic Telecaster HS Propaganda puts an awesomely eye-catching spin on a classic Fender instrument, with a distinctive Shepard Fairey design theme.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.3
 6.8
reviews (4) 11 comments vote for this gear:
OBEY Graphic Telecaster HS Propaganda Reviewed by: radof94, on january 23, 2008

Purchased from: Manny's Melbourne

Features: My Propaganda was made in Indonesia in 2006, it has 22 medium jumbo frets. The body is made of agathis, with a maple neck and rosewood fret board. The artwork is over-the-top for me, I only chose this guitar over the Standard because of the pickups. The body is tele-style, but the graphics sorta break up the lines and it doen't look like anything. It has a strings-thru-body bridge. the tuners are Standard Die-Casts, and the electronics are passive. it has one tone, one volume and a 3-way switch. The controls and the tuners are "rustic and worn" and have a "beaten up" look. Pickup config is H/S, the humbucker is a duncan designed "HB102B". The pickups make up for the looks, and I have always liked teles. As far as value for money goes, it's the best. // 9

Sound: I like to play bluesy sorta stuff and it suits it great, and the tone reaches from bluesy warm tones to ear piercing highs with the HB. Some times it gives out a quiet buzz, not too bad. It gets pretty muddy under heavy distorion, but with some light it performs alright. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up is great. the action is very good, and great to play (not for slide though I guess). The neck is so thin too. Really comfortable to play. The neck pickup has dropped out once, but only for a second. Not bad. One of the tuners ha slightly too much rust for my liking, but it's sort of meant to be like that. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have never played Live, but I would have a back-up. The hard ware is good for the price, pretty good. The strap buttons have not moved an inch, and I am glad. The finish seems like it will never come off, and I don't like the graphic as I have said, so I wish it would. // 6

Overall Impression: This is a great match for the music that I like. Though I wish I had asked to try the tele custom when I bought this guitar, I doubt it would be better, but you never know. If it were stolen, I would look everywhere for it. but I think, just for a change I would get the thinline or similar. The humbucker plays the pixies "where is my mind" great, almost like the guitar was made for it. The neck pickup loves to play warm tones. I wish it had more colour options, and it could be called the "fat Tele" but I am happy with it. // 8

OBEY Graphic Telecaster HS Propaganda Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 04, 2010

Purchased from: A friend

Features: Model Number 032-5003-(550) Series OBEY Graphic Series Colors (550) OBEY Graphic Top with Black Back and Sides, (Polyurethane Finish) Body Agathis Neck Maple, C-Shape, (Polyurethane Finish) Fingerboard Rosewood, 9.5 Radius (241 mm) No. of Frets 22 Medium Jumbo Pickups 1 Duncan Designed HB102B Humbucking Pickup with Alnico Magnets (Bridge), 1 Alnico Magnet Single-Coil Pickup (Neck) Controls Volume, Tone Pickup Switching 3-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups Position 3. Neck Pickup Bridge 6-Saddle Strings-Thru-Body Bridge Machine Heads Standard Die-Cast Tuners Hardware Un-plated: RusticAndWorn Pickguard None Scale Length 25.5 (648 mm) Width at Nut 1.650 (42 mm) Unique Features OBEY Graphic Top, RusticAndWorn Hardware, Gold and Black Squier Logo, Engraved Neckplate, Knurled Dome Control Knobs, Black Plastic Parts, Dot Position Inlays That's straight from the website. // 6

Sound: I play a lot of metal, but I also do some blues. I have a Line 6 150w 3s Spider half-stack. The sounds vary on my amp settings, but I find it works best on the channels with a "metal" tone to it. I wish they put real seymour duncans in it, it would make the guitar a lot better. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I purchased this guitar from my friend for 50 bucks a few months ago, so he had everything adjusted to his specs, but I later fixed them to my preferences. The knob for the tone started to slip, so I just took it off and dealt with it. It's decent, but by no means "the upmost quality" // 7

Reliability & Durability: In my honest opinion, I would pack this guitar with your main ax and keep this one on stage just in case something happens.I wouldn't have this as my main guitar, but it is quite a good backup guitar. I plan on replacing the tuning keys, as they don't hold tune too well. The strap knobs were pretty crappy, and one day they fell out along with the screws (I was just standing up, no banging or crazy stuff). I am going to replace them soon, with bigger and better ones. The bridge isn't that great either, it's a somewhat poor quality. I plan to replace this with a REAL Fender Telecaster bridge and paint it black to match the body. The finish is very good, it's stood up to my style, no problem. // 5

Overall Impression: Like I said earlier, metal is my preference. I've been playing for 5 years, and I own my fair share of gear. If it were stolen or lost, I'd definately spend my time looking for it. I love the graphics, but the hardware SUCKS! Nothing too big of a fix though, so I give Squier some credit. Wish it had black hardware stock. A Floyd Rose would be nice, but it IS a telecaster, let alone a Squier. If I could sum it up, I'd say "Close, but no cigar." // 7

OBEY Graphic Telecaster HS Propaganda Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 23, 2010

Price paid: A$ 329

Purchased from: Cranbourne Music

Features: 2006 model. Made in Indonesia. Features covered in the previous posts. Adler body. Duncan designed bridge humbucker. // 7

Sound: OK the last reviewer was a little unfair. This is a TELE - you do not use it for METAL(unless you're John 5 and even then you use a truckload of effects pedals). Sorry - pet gripe with UG reviews that don't take into account intended use of the instrument, kinda like marking down a Ferrari 'cause there's no room for a baby capsule. Anyway.... I bought this for blues and it does not disappoint. This is a 'dirty' tele. It gives rich texture on the neck pickup and high powered output on the bridge. The Duncan HB102 on the bridge will give you crunchy breakup and distortion when you want some dirty gain. The neck gives a gritty clean tone with a little twang that sounds great through my Vox. Purists will gripe that it doesn't sound like a Tele and they'd be right. This doesn't have the same bright tone of a typical Tele - it's dirtier. But I love it. Perfect for blues and classic rock. As far as comparisons go it's got more bite than my MIM Strat but less than my Gibson SG. Actually my Strat sounds kinda dull now... // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is great- a little fret buzz but we'll work on that. The finish is what drew me to it - I expected it to be a $1000 guitar looking at it across the shop floor. The paintwork and the aged hardware is beautiful. The C shaped neck is identical to my Strat - there's a small knot in the wood- no big deal really for the price. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Seems solid enough. Made in Indonesia - not China. No defects yet. No complaints. I suppose I would take a backup just in case - but thats me... // 10

Overall Impression: A Bargain. Sometimes Squires can produce very underrated guitars. This is one of those. I think these are discontinued which is a real shame as it's great value. On the other hand it's kinda cool to have something that will be rarer in years to come. I would rank the tone from this guitar alongside my MIM Strat without hesitation - in fact I think I prefer it. If it got stolen I would replace it. Ignore the gear snobs that turn up their noses at the Squire headstock. Go let them spend another $700 on a different headstock and you'll still have the better guitar ;) // 10

OBEY Graphic Telecaster HS Propaganda Reviewed by: TeleCam1990, on february 02, 2011

Purchased from: Kendall's

Features: Made in Indonesia around 2007 but I'm not 100% sure about the year. Has 22 medium-jumbo frets on a c shape maple neck with rosewood fretboard. The body is agathis with a bolt on maple neck. Graphic finish on the front of the guitar. The sides an back are solid black. As the title suggests it's a Telecaster. The guitar has a 6-Saddle Strings-Thru-Body Bridge that, along with all the other hardware, is oxidized to look road worn and rusty. Pickups are a Duncan designed humbucker at the bridge and a single coil at the neck. Tone and volume controls and a 3-way selector. Tuners are road worn/rusting non-locking. // 7

Sound: I tend to play rock and punk music and it suits these styles perfectly. The neck pickup is perfect for Acoustic parts and has real warmth to it. The bridge pickup gets a bit muddy at high volumes when distorted however replacing it with something a bit higher up the market may help this. I've been playing it through a Fender Frontman 25R with a Zoom G1 effects pedal and while it's not the best for high gain metal it's versatile through numerous effects. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Off the shop wall it was set-up almost perfectly. I changed the string to my preferred choice and the action needed to be raised slightly due to this but other than that everything was bang on the mark. So far I'm yet to find a flaw although when I raised the bridge pickup it gave masses of feedback with no difference in tone or sound. I think it was in the perfect position to begin with! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't gigged this guitar but after six months constant use I can honestly say that I would gig it no problem. Hardware is fine, no screws etc. loose and the strap buttons are more solid than a friends MiJ Stratocaster. I would always have a backup if I were to gig it but that's mainly due to my habit of snapping strings. The finish is brilliant and not wearing away any time soon although I am getting hints of buckle rash, but after six months it's only the tiniest amount. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said before I mainly play rock and punk and this guitar fits perfectly. I've been playing for around 3 years now and out of my other guitars this is definitely number one. If this were stolen I would hunt down whoever stole it and beat them with my bright pink Hello Kitty Strat just to embarass them more. But, being seious now, I would definitely replace it. I'm already trying to get hold of the collage version of this! I love the classic Telecaster body and the graphics are beautiful. Pictures on the net don't do it justice at all. I can honestly say I am yet to find anything I dislike other than the previously mentioned bridge pickup. Even then it's a brilliant piece of equipment for the price. I did compare it with a J5 Telecaster but the artwork on this got me hook, line and sinker. So far the only thing I wish it had is a different pickup at the bridge, but even then it does it's job really well! Maybe the name Fender instead of Squier because I know there are plenty of nay-sayers out there who look purely at brand names. Three words for you people: Try Squier out! // 8

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Bullet HS Telecaster 7.7 Electric Guitars 03/26/2014