S-73 Review

7.9
 5.7
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
S-73 Reviewed by: jedidiah.larson, on july 21, 2014

Features: 2002 model Korean made Squier S-73, 22 frets, 24 and 3/4" scale length, medium frets, rosewood fretboard with white binding and block inlays with pearl corner stripes, mahogany body and neck(I believe), black in color with clear coat type finish, Guild S-100 body style (double cutaway), tune-o-matic bridge, passive Duncan Designed open faced humbuckers, two vol two tone knobs, three way toggle switch, sealed tulip tuners, white plastic nut, set neck. The guitar features a solid mahogany body and set mahogany neck. // 10

Sound: I play anything from blues to Nirvana to Slipknot and this guitar can handle it all with full clear high output. I use a Boss DS-2 for distortion and Marshall JH-1 for overdrive. I vary witch amps I use according to what style I'm playing. When playing through a Hiwatt Mini Stack I can get cranked gainy metal sounds and when playing through a Peavey Bandit 65 I can get Hendrixish reverby bright fat tones. The set neck and mahogany body give this axe a great sustaining resonance not often found in cheaper guitars made by Squier. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar from the previous owner it was missing strings and poorly set up with what smelled like root beer dribbled on it but once I set it up and cleaned it up the action was great with no fret buzz. I have installed Dunlop strap locks but the original bottoms were descent. This guitar seems well balanced unlike many Epiphone SGs. These guitars were supposedly left over Guild S-100s which makes sense since Guild is owned by Fender now. The machine heads are the tulip style machine heads that look like ones used on a lot of old Gibsons. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Seems reliable to me I've had it for three years and never had to replace electronic components, machine heads etc. Hardware is standard nickel and doesn't really rust or tarnish easy so thats a plus. Finish is thick enough and doesn't wear off. I would gig with this guitar if I weren't scared of something happening to it or it getting stolen and not being able to buy another one at least not new since they were a limited two year run. I have recorded guitar parts with this guitar and the tone and clarity is definitely there. There is however a cheaper model of this guitar with a bolt on neck and cheaper machine heads that doesn't have the Duncan Designed pickups but I have never played one. // 10

Overall Impression: I mainly play hard rock and punk/grunge and some pop punk ska type stuff and the high output humbuckers suit it well however it sounds rather nice on clean settings with a warm tone on the neck pickup. This has been my favorite guitar since I bought it and the feel reminds me a lot of a Gibson Les Paul Studio. I love the feel of the neck on this guitar especially for soloing and reaching high frets. If it was stolen/lost I would cry and try to find another one. If I was unable to find another for cheap I would save up and buy a Guild S-100 and give it a try. // 10

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Tele Custom II 7.7 Electric Guitars 10/13/2014