Showmaster Blackout Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 02/15/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Squier: Showmaster Blackout
The Squier Showmaster Blackout looks as dark and heavy as it sounds. It features one humbucker in the bridge position and a single coil in the neck position for various sonic possibilities.
 7.9
 9.2
 6.6
review (1) 59 comments vote for this gear:
Showmaster Blackout Reviewed by: The Purple Fury, on february 15, 2007

Features: My Squier Showmaster was crafted in Indonesia, has one double humbucker and one single coil pickup. It came with a whammy bar which does tend to knock it out of tune a little bit. It has a 3-way selector, a volume knob and a tone knob. It did not come with a strap or a case. One thing I love about this guitar is the headstock on these models is flipped upside down. Of corse that always brings up the annoying question, "Oh, do yo uplay left handed?" This guitar has 24 frets and a bolt-on neck. It is fantastic. // 8

Sound: I play industrial metal, and this guitar works great for that, the previous owner player more melodic and heavier metal wich seemed to better suite this guitar. The top string tends to completely drown out all of the other strings form time to time and I can not seem to fix this, reguardless of the vast amount of effort I have put into solving this problem. I play this guitar threw a DigiTech Grunge Pedal (Cheap But Suprisingly Good), threw a DigiTech RP50 Multieffects pedal, Into a Crate KBA150 amplifier. In all honesty the single coil pickup sounds like dead cows Who are fornicating, but the humbucker more than makes up for this with it's amazingly clean sound. But this is no major problem because pickups are easily replaced. This guitar (with the single coil turned off). Sounds great and is really comforitable, I would suggest it to anyone playing in the metal genre. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar, besides the single coil pickup sucking horrendously, has no visible our audible flaws. The body, bridge and headstock are all perfectly crafted, and since I'm fairly sertain I just got a flawed pickup I believe this is the most well put together guitar I've ever bought. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could easily withstand live playing. The only fears I would have playing a Live show would be the input messing up but that problem is my fault for tripping on my chord way to much and even after all that it still barely faults. I love this guitar and If I could ever get a band Who worked well enough together to play a Live show, it would be the first guitar I would grab. Provided I had enough Faith in my strings not breaking during a show I wouldn't need a Backup guitar, this guitar can handle it. unfortunatley in my two years of playing guitar I've never broken a string from playing and I know that's only because it's waiting to spite me when I finaly do play a Live show, so I, personaly, would carry a backup guitar. This guitar has been threw hell and back, the previous owner kept it in an extremely damp garrage where most the hardware rusted, and yet it still plays like new. The paint on this guitar is on there for good, it takes a whole hell of a lot to get it to come off, in all of the incidents I've had with this guitar, dropping it, bumping into things, straps breaking while trying to throw it around my shoulder, that crazy nunchaku incident (no joke), All this thing does is dent. Even the scratches seem to not be able to penetrate threw the paint. This guitar is fantastic, and I enjoy playing it almost every day. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said, I play Industrial Metal and although better fitted for a heavier, more melodic style of playing, it does great. I've been playing guitar for almost two years now and this was my second guitar. My first guitar was a First Act, which I'd rather not talk about and was "disposed of" when I recieved this guitar. I currently own three guitars, wich are A B\.C\. Rich Bronze Warlock, a Davison Flying V, and of corse my Squier. My Squier is most definatly my favorite guitar and if it where stolen, I would track down the thief, and Impale them with thier own testicles because I have never seen another guitar exactly the same as this one that I have. This only thing I wish it had was a better single coil pickup. // 10

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ S-73 7.9 Electric Guitars 07/21/2014