Showmaster HH Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 02/06/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Squier: Showmaster HH
Solid basswood body. Maple neck. Rosewood fingerboard. Medium-jumbo frets. Dot inlays. Small reverse headstock. Licensed Floyd Rose tremolo. 2 humbucking pickups.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.4
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.4
 Features: 8.2
 6.9
 7.6
 6.1
reviews (7) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Showmaster HH Reviewed by: lennen1rulez, on august 01, 2005

Features: I got this guitar a year ago and still have it today, I went on it today and still find it is as good as any guitar for playing. To be honest, what everyone says about Squires is shit! I think they may not look as good as a SG or Les Paul but still plays the same. Well I really like mine. It was made in Japan. It has the same amount as frets as a Les Paul, I don't knw how many that is though. It has a solid top. Neck is mahogany. It has a dark blue glossy finish. Really nice when new and clean! Body stlye is like Strat, but a bit different. The controls, well that's the s--tty bit, they look good, they are solid, shinny metal. But they don't have numbers of words. So you don't know which is what? There are only 2 controls. The controls given are volume and tone. It is a right handed guitar, but the tuners are on as if they were on a left handed guitar! That's gay as well. Pickups - 3 of them. It comes with a strap, whammy bar, lead and 10 wat Squier amp (I didn't get the amp, bad service problems). Overall good, stylish but style can be a let down. // 8

Sound: It sounds good, but not as good as a PRS or Les Paul, Telecaster etc. but still sounds good for what it is, it sounds as good as a Les Paul etc. through an amp. It looks silly if you like playing heay metal (like me) 'cause it is like a country style shape. But good if you like that country stuff. I use it with, a Fab Metal pedal and distortion through my amp. It is noisy, but thats only cos I have my amp on loud! Quite a low sound through an amp, but high not through an amp. It is not good for finger sliding, it is really sticky, it was from when I got it to now (a year later)! // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set-up quite well, but it was loose and still is at the part were you put the lead in to the guitar. The pickups are good and sound best at the top pickup (closer to the neck). It was all good when I got it! No problems, apart from, the strings were rusted when I got the guitar. But I easily got new strings! // 8

Reliability & Durability: It will do good for live playing, it is the right shape for moshing, and jumping of amps Justin Hawkins (Darkness) style. The hardware has lasted a year so far without falling apart so its ok. The strap buttons are solid, they are good. I would use it in a gig, yes, I already have and it was fine, apart from pulm muting is really s--t with this guitar, it rattles when you mute it! It does scratch easily as it doesn't have a scratch plate! // 6

Overall Impression: It is ok, but it does lack some really key features, like the scratch plate, metal controls, left handed tuning keys and dodgy input. Overall I give it 4/5. // 8

Showmaster HH Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 28, 2004

Features: My Squier was made in 2002, with two Duncan Designed humbucking pickups, a floyd rose and reverse headstock it was just what I was looking for as I play some Rage and also find time for Jimi Hendrix. The body is of a Strat style without a pickguard which was a bit of a shame because I now have small dents where I have used a coin out of desperation when gigging. It has a 3 way pickup selectior Switch a volume and tone control aswell. // 10

Sound: The guitar fitted my style perfectly a year or two ago when I was playing rage, but now I use a ES-355 as it has a warmer, brighter sound. This guitar could be suited for metal as the bass tones are loud, but as you move up the notes it becomes a fantastic blues guitar aswell. I have used it with a wah and it screams amazingly, the duncan humbucking pickups really were a great choice by Squier. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is awful, stock from the factory it is set up way to high for a player like me and the low E buzzed alot. I have managed to fix the low E problem to some avail but still buzzes when I play with my band. The toggle Switch and the volume control were also sent to me in a horrendous condition and the pickup cuts out when it is in a certain position and the volume control only actually adjusts the volume when it is near the end of its turn. Also while gigging I found out the strap hooks were bad the whole strap came off and I dropped the guitar and left a dent in the bottom. // 2

Reliability & Durability: The guitar plays wonderfully now I have set it up correctly. You can get some very nice blues tones out of it and I love the jumbo frets as I have big fingers. The pickup problem got very annoying as when I was gigging I would strum down and knock it into the position and my guitar would cut out making me look like a plonk on stage, but now that is fixed I am fine. I am using it as a backup guitar now as I own a Epiphone ES-355 Dot which suits the style of music we are playing but when the Squier is used as a backup it still sounds quite good. // 6

Overall Impression: I love the sound of this guitar, its raw, bassy and is good for alot of music. I just hate the way it was shoddily made and the way it was setup, I had to pay about 35 extra just to get the problems fixed. I also like the floyd rose as you can rock out and not go out of tune and the way it sounds with a wah wah, I cant reproduce that with my ES-355. It may just have been my guitar that was built by an ignoramus so dont take everything badly on this, I really love the guitar I just had alot of bad experience with it due to poor workmanship. // 8

Showmaster HH Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 30, 2004

Features: Made in korea I think or somewhere similar. 24 fret fast neck made of rosewood. Came with liscenced floyd rose and passive pickups with a five way Strat style Switch. Stock pickups with an awesome bridge humbucker and reasonable single coils that I don't use much except for rainmaker-ish solos. Came with a Fender 15watt amp, strap and lead (which were s--t). Great for the price though. // 8

Sound: Sounds pretty good for the kind of music I play (anything from the Murderdolls to Zyklon through Guns N' Roses). I use it with the 15watt Fender with Slipknot style amp settings from total guitar. I don't really use effects much but I always have the gain right up. The pickups have a descent variety of sounds cos I can get anything from a Psyklon Aeon (Zyklon-extreme metal) to Nemo (Nightwish-goth metal) to Rainmaker (Maiden-duh). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was really well set up with a nice low action (perfect for shredding) and was pretty much perfect. Came from Fenders UK distributor and was just about perfect. Still no marks at all on it even when the strap kept falling off-built like a brick shithouse! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will last until I get a BC Rich or ESP I imagine. It has taken loads of knocks and my band members insist on knocking it over all the time lol. I would use it with out backup if necessary but because of the floyd you'd need a spare just in case. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a great match for my style of music, it actually outplays some of my friends more expensive axes. If it was stolen I would probably buy another because it is an excellent back up even if I had a BC Rich or similar. All in all a great guitar and well worth investing in, especially if you have a really shit beginner guitar (like my old crafter-which I loathe-so I smashed it on stage) and need something with a bit of oomph. If you have a Gibson or Summat you'll probably just sneer at it and thats fair enough but this is one of the best guitars in its price range. // 8

Showmaster HH Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 29, 2004

Purchased from: tri-state music

Features: Mine was made in 02 I think. It's the 20th anniversary edition. It is red with white ghost flames. It has a 24 fret bolt on neck with a scaloped joint. This guitar has a real thin fast neck (that I love). My Showmaster is nothing compared to my kelly pro star, but nothing plays like a Jackson. This Ax had 2 Duncan Designed humbuckers whitch didn't sound to bad, but I had a pair of Emg HZ's so I dropped them in, along with the rest of the electronics from the busted ass ltd I took them out of. The double locking free-floating floyd rose is awesome. They always are. // 8

Sound: When I first got this guitar, it didn't really suit my style. I couldn't get strong artifical harmonics out of it. I like to play old school Metallica, Pantera, Snot, Deftones, Slayer, and such, so this was a predicament. I also like bands like Sublime, Radiohead, 311, and all the way back to Yngwie Malmsteen, and Stevie Ray Vaughn. After I changed the electronics, it was on! This beast will scream. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up was (in my opinion) quite well considering it is a squire. Everything was in its place and fully functional. It also came with pretty high quality parts as well. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar definately will withstand live playing. It stays in tune verry well, and not once has it fallen off the strap. This guitar is my back up, but for a couple songs, I will only use this. The finish is excelent (not that it really maters what it looks like as long as it plays well). // 10

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal. I play punk (real punk, Rancid, Nofx). I play reagga, and I think this guitar does quite well with all. Very versitile. I have been playing for 12 years. I also play drums, bass, violin, and piano. I have a tama rockstar fusion set, with an Iron Cobra Power Glide Double Bass pedal. I have a Jackson Kelly Pro Star. A peice of s--t BC Rich Warlock, and an Aria Pro Urchin Deluxe. Aside from my Jackson, I play this beast more than any other one. The Jackson has 24 jumbo frets, and my Showmaster has 24 as well, but they are much smaller, allowing for greater reach and more comfort. If it had a set neck, I would never put it down. // 8

Showmaster HH Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 14, 2004

Purchased from: Music Light

Features: I don't know when it was made or where. It has 24 jumbo frets with a laminated top. It has a mahogany body and a blue pearl finish. Strat body and a Tele-style bridge. Active electronics and with volume and tone controls. I have no ideia whats the model of the pick-ups, but I know they fucking stink! It's got non-locking tuners. It didn't come with any accessories. // 6

Sound: I play hard-rock and punk rock, but the guitar only sounds good with the distortion on. When I play a few musics on acoustic it makes a shity sound. I'm using a 100 amp and I use distortion and reverb. It's very noisy on any settings. when I'm doing solos they only sound cool with distortion. Acoustic with this guitar is a big no! // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought the guitar it was great but at the first change of strings it completely changed its sound. And it wasn't me! I changed them the best possible way. The pick-ups can be easily ajusted, except that the screws came all rusty! Thar guitar must have been on that store forever. The only flaws the guitar had was the rusty screws and a two small cuts in the neck. // 6

Reliability & Durability: People, whatever you do, don't use this guitar live. It totally sucks. I don't think the hardware will last very long, but the strap buttons are solid though. When I have a gig I only use it if I really need too. I usualy use for rehearsal. The finish wasn't made to last on this guitar. It wears out with lots of playing. // 4

Overall Impression: I play for a year and I own a Ibanez RG7-321 and a Jackson PL-4. They are much better. I hope someone stole it. That bunch of trash. My favourite thing about that guitar is the colour. I hate that bridge. // 4

Showmaster HH Reviewed by: zx7r, on november 30, 2005

Sound: I play funk-rock like Red Hot Chili Peppers and it suits my style pretty good its styling isnt quite right for funk though. I use the Fender amp given in the package and will soon be using a DigiTech RP80 effects pedal to add a bit more tone to my playing The guitar gives a rich sound that sounds a bit weird with distortion. It has a large range of sounds available to it but some sound beter than others; heavy rock doesn't sound too good. Overall it sounds like it should; a guitar. It sounds as good as any other guitar that costs within 150 of its price. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: My Squier was in mint condition when I recieved it, I think Squier really take time to make sure their guitars are quality products. I have only recently noticed a slight flaw; the volume control dial on the guitar comes off very easily. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Like so many other guitars that don't cost loads it has a few durability issues. It won't let you down on stage it can handle a long gig, it won't make a dash for the ground because of a fallen strap the buttons are solid. The finish could rub off with some very brutal playing, it hasn't yet for me though. The tuning heads are decent quality but it could do with a better set its not without its flaws but it can handle a gig. // 7

Overall Impression: My funk music sounds good with this guitar so I don't need another guitar yet. I've owned my Squier for a year now it was my first electric. I mainly chose it because of its price I couldn't afford anything better. I wish it had two tone controls, one for treble and one for bass but its only got the one. I love the dark blue colour of mine and the pick-up-and-play-ability. When I bought it I compared it to other guitars of it's price range and it blew them all out of the water. I love my Squier but I'd love a Telecaster more. Overall a great guitar for the price. // 8

Showmaster HH Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 06, 2006

Purchased from: ebay

Features: US model Squire by Fender Showmaster HH, 2002 model. Orginally painted midnight blue, but custom paint job done last month incorporating chopper style skulls in a ghost effect over a matt black with silver leaf detailing around hardware. Custom tunning knobs shaped like crucifixes in chrome. DiMarzio pickups for heavy sound and Ernie Ball heavy slinkys (.56 - .10). all amounts to a very chunky sound, but with good defenition further up the scale. // 9

Sound: Thrash metal is what I play in my band, Bibles Make Good Coasters. We use twin axes Kirk Hammett style and take a lot of influence from classic bands like Maiden/Metallica and also newer bands like Slipknot, Soulfly and Bullet For My Valentine. Both axe wealders using Line 6 Spider cabs and heads. Using Boss DS-1 for distortion, which give some seroius raw power but not stripping the sound of its fullness. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Some minor adjustments on action required. Just 2 screws on bridge though. Although it did have a pro setup when new hardware was fit after paint so its about perfect now. Fast playing and easy to move around. Good curve on the back of neck allows maximum comfort for fretting hand. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Played live alot at pubs and small gigs. Pretty heavy duty strap buttons mean your not going to be dropping it anytime soon. Considering the punishment it recieves from heavy riffing and throwing it about a bit its held up very well indeed. Only a couple of broken strings really but thats to be expected. // 9

Overall Impression: Great axe. Love my guitar. Wouldn't change it for anything. Not even a Les Paul. Get good insurance if you got a respectable amount of kit or special edition/custom shop guitar and you go gigging. You will regret it if something happens and you didn't get insurance. But if you got some cash burning a hole in your pocket by anything by Fender/Squier. It's an investment, not a purchase. // 9

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Vintage Modified Telecaster Custom 6.8 Electric Guitars 10/28/2014