Stagemaster 7 Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 08/31/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Squier: Stagemaster 7
It has 24 jumbo frets, and a big but thin neck. The fingerboard is made out of rosewood. The neck is very good, and real fast.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.3
 Features: 8.3
 8.4
 8.7
reviews (3) pictures (3) 7 comments vote for this gear:
Stagemaster 7 Reviewed by: travislausch, on november 24, 2006

Purchased from: Classified ad

Features: The guitar appears to be very modern and is a Chinese-built instrument. It has 24 jumbo frets, and small inlays. I'm not sure what types of wood make up the body. Being a 7-string, it's definitely a slightly heavier instrument than most other guitars (even outweighing a Les Paul). The controls are very simple: just a volume knob, a tone knob, and a 3-way selector Switch for the dual humbucker pickups. As far as I know, the pickups in it are stock. The bridge is a string-through body fixed bridge, and feels really stable with tuning, even despite its lack of locking tuners. The tuners are located on the bottom of the headstock, and were a little disconcerting to get used to at first, but after a while I got the hang of it. // 8

Sound: Because it uses humbucker pickups, it can be a little noisy when cranked. I like to back off the tone control a bit, and I run it through a DigiTech RP200A, directly into my Mac Mini for recording, or an ancient Yamaha VX65D amp on stage. It has a very big sound, which isn't surprising, seeing as it is a big guitar with a lot more wood than your typical Strat. My only gripe is that there aren't a lot of varieties of sounds. Every pickup setting sounds pretty much the same, and backing off the tone knob doesn't give me much tonal variety, except for cutting down on some noise, and some highs. But, since I mostly play progressive rock, I usually rely more on effects for variety of tones, so I don't mind not having much control on the guitar end. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where the guitar shines. The action was a little high, but perfect for me anyways. Everything on the guitar seems solid and well-built. The knobs are smooth, the tuners are tight, but not too tight, the finish doesn't appear to have any problems, apart from a few self-induced chips here and there, and the strap buttons haven't given out on me yet. The pickups are adjusted a little wonky, but that may be a result of the previous owner's handiwork. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar, being my only 7-stringer, has to be able to withstand a gig. I do believe that it will. The hardware on this guitar seems rather solid, and the strap buttons have held up remarkably well. I've slammed my guitar around a bit here at home, and haven't chipped the guitar more than once or twice, so I think the finish will stand up to the test of time on stage. I can depend on it enough to use without a backup, though I have no choice, since 7-string guitars are a rare breed around these parts. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar matches the style of music I play perfectly, as I like to play a lot of Dream Theater songs, some of which involve 7-string guitars. I've been playing for 10 years, and owned mostly cheap Strat knock-offs designed for beginners, and a budget ES-355 knock-off. My gripes with this guitar are very minor, and though I won't give it a perfect rating, I do feel it deserves a high one. If it were stolen, my heart would break, since I don't own another 7-string. The only thing that really irked me at first was the transition to 7-strings, as I've been used to bashing the low E string on songs typically played on 6 strings. With the low B in the way, I have to be more careful on it. However, this taught me to become a more precise, careful player, and I feel like my playing has improved since I bought it. The only features I wish it had were locking tuners and a whammy bar, so I can complete the Dream Theater picture. // 9

Stagemaster 7 Reviewed by: Elvisz, on december 19, 2005

Purchased from: A friend

Features: I don't know in what year was it made, but I bought new, dosen't have a scratch or anything. It was made in China. It has 24 jumbo frets, and a big but thin neck. The fingerboard is made out of rosewood. The body is solid hardwood (believe me it's solid, but you only feel that in it's weight). The neck is very good, and real fast. It has a big neck but it's thin and you don't really will notice the difference, only when you bump into the 7 string if you played a 6 stringer). Mine has a double locking floyd rose, and 2 knobs one volume and one tone, with 3 way switching. My guitar has stock double pickups, gotta change them cause the pickups are not very good (lots of noise, or is it my multi effect). Comed with a tremolo, stolen of an Ibanez (now you think I doubled the price of my guitar). But you're wrong cause it' realy good, and worth buying, of course you wonder why I paid so much for it? I'm from Romania and to get an musical instrument you have to work a lot for it, and the instruments are the double of the price (to be honest, I got it way cheaper cause it was imported from Germany, and if you're looking for it in a shop it costs 400-480 euros. // 8

Sound: I'm Korn fanatic! But I think you already knowed that by the 7 string. But I use it for all kind of rock and metal (Dream Theater, Megadeth, the new James LaBrie album, and lots). It's noisy oh yeah it's noisy, but through the tones of pedals I'm not shure that the guitar or the effects try to make me angry. It has a rich sound! It sounds very good, and the B makes you're amp blow! I had lots of guitars wich had the tone knob only for design, but on this guitar you hear the tone change real quick! The weakness of this guitar it's his pickups, but you can change that real quick (I just need money). I'm using it with an Fender Frontman 75, and some effects like Marshall Distortion 1, Boss Digital Delay 3, Zoom 510 multi effect, Boss Chorus, Arion Chorus\Flanger, Ibanez Delay, I think that's it and I use Jim Dunlop and Fender picks, and D'Addario strings, and D'Addario cables. This guitar was made for nu-metal fans that looking for a cheap guitar, but you get more than a nu-metal guitar, just use you're brain, and you'll be really satisfied! whatever kind of music you are into (but okay it's not an Ibanez). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory settings, not the greatest but works. I'm only dissapointed by the pickup settings and the electrics are a bit messy, but you can fix that with a hairbrush! But it's built real good, and I didn't see any factory defects (so if you don't consider the pickups it's great). // 9

Reliability & Durability: This has to withstand live playing! And until now I never had any problems and it's always with me, even at work. You will not have any problems with the hardware for a long time that's for shure. The strap buttons? Good question, 'cause the guitar is real heavy (in weight) and could be problems, but until now nothing bad happend (okay the wood is solid, but who knows). I can depend on it! Never had problem with it, and I hope I never will. The finish is lasting I play lots and it's lasting, but I answer to this question in 2010 okay? // 7

Overall Impression: As I said before I play all kind of metal, and rock, and it suits me well yuo can play almost everything with it (but all you Korn freaks get this). I play guitar about 9-10 years and I got this guitar about a year and a half, and I play this guitar the most. If it were stolen I would hunt the the motherf--ker and I would beat up him\her so bad that he would regret that he lives (or I would have to work real hard to buy another one). I love the whole guitar so that's that! Mine is a metalic black so it rocks! I'm pleased with it and I can't complaine about it maybe you can. // 8

Stagemaster 7 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 31, 2011

Features: I bought this as a basket case off of eBay, in pieces. It was missing the bridge pickup. It has two humbucker pickups, two pots (vol/tone) controls and a 3-way switch. It was made in 2000 and is made in China. The color is a cool purple metalic finish that is very well done with black hardware. The bridge is fixed through the body and the intonation adjusted perfectly. The wriering and neck pickup were as disaster (this was a basket case after all!). The pots were wired incorrectly and the lead wire from the nect pickup was spliced incorrectly. Clearly someone had hacked it trying to get it to work as a single pick up guitar. I removed all the electronics and the neck pick up and started over. The neck pickup pocket was NOT properly routed for the factory pickup. This is a factory defect. It took all of 3 minutes with a router to get enough clearence for the cable feed slot to allow the pickup to lie flat. Othwerwise the neck pickup would tilt upward due to no clearance for the pickup wire to feed to the control cavity. Next I properly spliced the pickup leads and used heat shrinking to insulated them. Now it looks like a factory job. I ordered a Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB 7 string humbucker pickup for the bridge. I added two mini-switches - one for a phase switch and the other to split the JB-4 into single/dual coils. The SD JB-4 needed a small bit of routing to clear the pickup wires as well but was not a big problem at all. It fit like a glove. The pickups SCREW into the body and do not use a pickup ring for mounting. It has a 24 fret neck and a rosewood fretboard. The neck is wide and thin, very easy to play. The tuners are sealed and are about an 18:1 ratio. The scroll headstock is reversed a la Jimi Hendrix. I added Schaller black strap locks. // 9

Sound: It sonds good to my old ears. I play blues and rock and wanted a 7 string to add some bass to my playing. I use it through a variety of tube amps (Fender Deluxe Reverd, Carvin Vintage 50 and a Ricenbacker M12). The guitar screams when cranked and the stock neck pickup makes a nice companion to the SD JB neck pickup. It is quite. The single coil bridge mode does get a bit more noise but nothing outlandish. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't comemnt on the factory set up as I got it in pieces (thank God the seller had the neckplate. It's an odd size and you will never find one if missing). After I installed the replacement pickup and did the minor routing, I was amazed at how well the guitar set up. The neck is straight as an arrow and the intonation is perfect all the way up the neck. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will stand up to live gigs without a doubt. It is my only 7 string, I have no back up. No worries! No comment on the strap buttons as I only use Schaller Strap Locks on all my guitars. Period. The finish will last longer than I will. It buffed out nicely and looks like new even though it's 11 years old. // 9

Overall Impression: I play blues, rock, and jazz. I've been plaing since the 60's. If this 7 string gets stolen I would look for another. I prefer hard-tail bridges and this one has one with through the body string path. This was one rescued guitar that is exceptional. If you see a Stagemaster 7 buy it! // 9

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Vintage Modified Telecaster Custom 6.8 Electric Guitars 10/28/2014