Standard Fat Strat Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 07/02/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Squier: Standard Fat Strat
This Fat Strat features the heavy tone of a high-output humbucking pickup in the bridge position, while the neck and middle positions are fitted with classic single-coil pickups. Also it features a '70s big headstock, a slimmer, fast-action neck profile and 22 frets for enhanced playability.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.4
 7.9
reviews (12) pictures (2) 28 comments vote for this gear:
Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 03, 2006

Purchased from: Just Pickin' Guitar Store

Features: The Standard Series Squier Fat Strat's (quite a mouthful) best features are its two humbucker pickups full give it a full, meaty kinda sound you just cant get from single coil pickups (that is without effects). A nice 3-way pickup selector makes it a good choice for lead or rhythm guitarists. It features a volume nob and 2 tone nobs (one for bridge, one for neck). It has a good sturdy dual pivot tremolo, Die-Cast tuners, and a good thick 3-ply pickguard. The body is made of agathis and the neck maple with a rosewood fretboard. Mine has a sweet looking, really hard to chip, black metallic polyurethane finish but the white outlined black pickguard is what really gives it a unique look. 22 medium jumbo frets make it very player friendly. // 10

Sound: This guitar is perfect for anything from death metal to blues to indie-rock. The dual humbuckers give it a mean meaty sound even without effects. Awesome guitar for the beginner. I would recommend it to anyone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was almost completly flawless when I got it. The action was nice and low for easy hammer-ons. Pickups perfectly set. Tremolo was perfectly set. Tuners perfectly set. Only flaws were a small blemish on the back of the body and the strings werent perfectly in tune. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Awesome sturdy guitar. Hard to chip. Nice reliable sound. I would definitly trust this guitar on stage (though I would need a backup in case of a broken string). Strap buttons are nicely secured. The bottom line is, If you take well enough care of guitar it will last for years. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of grunge and punk-rock like Nirvana, Pixies, Green Day, Sex Pistols, Violent Femmes, etc. and I don't believe I could have a better guitar, cept maybe a Fender USA. I love the double humbuckers. I would reccomend this guitar to any beginner or seasoned musician. Much more affordable then other strats, basically the same quality. If this guitar were lost of stolen, I would probably save up and buy a Fender. // 10

Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: jimzer, on december 19, 2007

Purchased from: Piano Shop And Music Co.

Features: The Fat Strat my parents got me was new and off the rack, it was probably made in maybe 2004-2006. It has 22 medium jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard. The body is made of agathis and it is black in a polyurethane finish. The bridge is a 'Synchronous Twin-Pivot Tremolo'. the pickguard is a 1-ply mirror which looks really sweet on a black body. The pickups are Standard Squier pickups, nothing flash but they do the job! The machine-heads are Standard die-cast tuners. The 450 I paid included a Fender Frontman 15R with reverd which is a decent beginners amp. // 9

Sound: As I said before they are Standard Squier pickups. Considering I was a bgeginner when I had these pickups, I mainly played nirvana and easy power chordy stuff in which the humbucker had an awesome sound for! Just crank the distortion and you got yourself a very decent metal tone. The cleans acheived were very good! Great for all that jazz playing and soft rhythmy stuff. But after I got to learn about pickups and tone of a guitar, I removed the middle pickup, added a Fender aerodyne Strat pickup in the neck and a Seymour Duncan SH-4 Jazz Blues humbucker in the bridge, now it's just plain awesome. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set-up well I guess, the action was good the pickup height was normal. nothing bad really. It was out of tune but that was quickly rectified. All the electronics worked fine and it has a real bad-ass look to it. No problems whatsoever. Everything was installed to Fender-standards, two tone and one volume nknob, 5-way pickup selector, and all pickups installed correct, true to the traditional Stratocaster. The heights were fine. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've dinged this guitar and gave it some buckle rash but it still looks brand spankin new off the rack if you give it a wipe. I would definitely use it as a backup for a gig cause it's just so sturdy. If the guitar strap ever came off it'd be the straps fault because the strap buttons are pure solid and sturdy. The finish doesnt't really matter, it's just black, you don't need any les paul fireburst spray to maintain the black, just a dampened cloth to wipe and another to wipe down. Easy. // 9

Overall Impression: I started off with power chordy punk grunge stuff like nirvana and this guitar definitely did the job. It's great for beginners and with a little upgrade would be perfect for intermediate and pro players! I definitely recommend it to anyone because it's such a versatile guitar! there are not many flaws and the price is great! The only thing I would like is for Fender to include some spare tremolo springs. It's such a apin to tune the guitar with the tremolo bridge up because it always goes out of tune. Even when you use the tremolo it goes out of tune quick. The remedy to this is simple to install some tremolo springs at the back of the guitar. Overall a great and versatile axe for the beginner! // 9

Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: klaf5, on april 23, 2008

Purchased from: R.A.M.

Features: Made in 06 in Indonesia my Standard Fat Strat came in a pewter finish (that's dark grey to you and me)over an agathis body, it has a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard holding 22 medium jumbo frets and a dark coloured '70s style headstock. It comes with a two point tremelo system and Die-Cast tuners. This particular model comes with a humbucker/single/single pickup variation and a five point selector Switch allowing the use of two pickups through the second and fourth positions. The pup's are squire Standard stock and do not bare any manufacturers branding. My particular baby is offset with a black pickguard. // 7

Sound: This Strat is a guitar which is fine for blues and classic/easy rock so if your a begginer who wants to get into metal, this is not for you. I started off running through a Line 6 Spider III amp (full of digital effects-chorus/phaser/delay/echo etc.) and I found it to be fairly dull and unresponsive I could only get an aproximated tone instead of what I was aiming for. However, I recently upgraded to my first tube amp and this guitar has been ressurected, It sounds brighter through the cleans and can produce a decent crunch and the selection through the single pickups can produce some nice blues and funk sounds. The tone and volume controls are more responsive through the tube setup as well allowing for more tonal variation. One serious downfall is the floating tremelo bridge does tend to make it go out of tune quickly when using the trem arm. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought the guitar off the shop floor after a very short demonstration not knowing anything about set-ups and thought it was fine, but within a few weeks the sound had changed and I was getting horrible basey drone whilst playing chords. I took it to a store that had tech's and asked for a setup. On pick up the tech told me the neck had been to straight, the pickups had to be raised and the bridge required another spring to add better tension control. They also lowered the action and still managed to take the buzz out of the low E. So all in all, I would not say it was set up well at all but, maybe someone at the store I bought it from had screwed around with it. My squire is now very nice to play since it's set-up. Astetically, the finishes on the Fat Strat are very plain but well done, and the neck is fairly smooth in comparison to other cheap models I have played. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I'm gonna vote to rename this model the tank, because everything I've bumped into or dropped it on it has left its mark, and yet come away without the slightest ding on itself. It has seen a few drunken accidents but could go back on the shop floor as new. Great Durability. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about a year now and this is my first guitar, it has served me well up till now as I've been learning blues and rock like Jimi, AC/DC and Queen. It can cope with these sounds easily as well as more modern tunes from the likes of Greenday or White Stripes. I now play through a Marshall DSL 401 Amp with a DigiTech Whammy and Boss MT-2 pedal. But even with the distortion pedal it doesnt't really cut it for higher gain metal riffs which I am branching into .I think it will become a project guitar for upgrading later but, I'll be buying a new guitar soon to suite the higher gain tunes. If it were stolen I'd be heartbroken because it's my first guitar, that and the fact I'd be out of pocket to the tune of 140. Then again the thief would feel pretty bad too, after I broke his pilfering little fingers. // 7

Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: agerginov, on july 23, 2010

Price paid: € 240

Purchased from: Rising Force

Features: This particular guitar was made in 2005. My father bought it for my 14th birth day which was the year 2007. Now I am currently 17. The model is just a classical fat Strat with two single coil and one humbucker pickups. It is crafted in Indonesia. It has 22 Medium Jumbo frets with a scale length 25.5". It has solid top. The body is Strat made from black Agathis (Polyurethane Finish). The brigde is Synchronous Twin-Pivot Tremolo. Comes with passive electronics. Two tone controls for the singe coils and one master volume. Standard Die-Cast Tuners. // 10

Sound: If fits perfectly and my stile varies :D I have a Randall g3+ 150watt valve dynamic Head with 4x12 celestion speaker cabinet also a Mesa Boogie duo recto (which unfortunately I don't own anymore). My first amp was a Randall Rh15H which is a good practice amp but still didn't have the dirtiness I needed so I bought a Boss MT2 and Boss Me50 processor through which the guitar sounds bad ass. One disadvantage is that the neck and middle pickups have some noise not much but still it is heariable mostly on the dirty channel. It suits almost all stiles known to mankind form blues to hard rock and heavy metal. It isn't suitable for trash not that it isn't possible to play it on but it doesn't have that low thick heaviness that most trashers search for. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up pretty good in the factory. The first thing I noticed was that the strings were a bit high so I had them lowered to the point were they almost hit the first fret (There is a standart for string height but almost every guitars come with with a bit high strings and every guitarist lowers the string to his comfort so I don't think this is such a big deal). Despite the little noise that comes out from the pickups they are pretty well balanced. The neck gives thick low ends with tight highs perfect for rhythm sections, the middle is suitable for an Acoustic or clean parts and the bridge for high gain lead sections. It didn't contain any flaws when I got it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can assure you that it can withstand Live playing. I played once live and it sounded good. The hardware will last because think that I have been taking a big care after this guitar and actually I don't see why it shouldn't last. Sometimes my strap falls but this is because it is with big holes. The strap buttons are good but not that good. With a locking straps it will be just about perfect. For another 3-4 years this guitar will hold unless I sell it or something happens but pretty sure that it will. // 10

Overall Impression: My music style differs. Big fan of Metallica and Alice in Chains. The sound of the guitar and the shape of the neck makes it possible for me to play fast improvisations and make excellent covers. Just something to add - The tone of metallica can easily be reproduced only by the amp I use manly the processor for the clean tones for One, Nothing else matters and some other. It is not the guitar that makes the sound it is the player and the amp. I compared it to a Gibson standart les paul and a ESP Explorer like Hetfield's - these are the guitars that my guitar teacher owns. Through the same amp on clean channel the Gibson sounded more warm, mellow and full, the ESP with it's active EMG pickups sounded more scooped and bright and the Squier somewhere in between. On the dirty channel ( used the neck pickup ) Gibosn had great mids, the Squier had great highs and the ESP combined both sounds. I wish it had EMG 60/81 despite not being a trademark for Fender guitars because Squire is by Fender, the active pickups are noiseless and have that specific tone that I am searching for. I also have a Jacksons Js30 kelly with stock Jackson high gain pickups. // 9

Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: tsmilliner, on february 23, 2006

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Sound: It sounds ok, my style is pretty open so it works for me. I have used it with a Roland Cube 15 and a DigiTech RP200 effects pedal. It has decent sutain and the tremelo is quite imperessive for a "starter" level guitar. It has a good sustain and decent sound quality. The pickups are not noisy at all. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was pretty well set up when I got it. I did change out the strings right away. I have had it about 3 months and just sent it in to get weaked at the local shop. only loose part was the lock nut on the plug-in. Fit and finish are excellent. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I am not sure I would play live with it just because it is a Squier. It does seem well made almost tank like, and seems like it would last and endure lot's of abuse though. // 7

Overall Impression: I play a bit of everything. I played Bass as a teen for a couple of years and just picked up guitar playing again after a 20 year break. This time I have taken it much more seriously. I just bought a Jay Turser for about 100 dollars more after owning this one for 3 months. I wish I would have bought the Jay Turser first. The Squier is a good guitar for a change though and I am not afraid to travel with it. I am ambivalant about this guitar, not happy or disappointed. If I dodn't have the JT I am sure I would still be fairly happy with it though as it plays well and sounds ok. I would recommend it for anyone starting out. If it were stolen, I would deal with the person that stole it, then collect the insurance money. I don't think I would replace it in like kind thoguh. // 6

Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 14, 2006

Purchased from: www.Soundslive.com

Features: I have no idea when this was made but it is completely new so I think probably 2004, and where I have no idea either, sorry! it has 21 frets and is awesome. it has a roseood fingerboard and a maple neck. it was great as a strater guitar as it is my first one. It is a sort of silvery grey body with a black scratchplate and is called satin pewter metallic. it has a twin pivot tremolo bridge which is awesome aswell, there is a 5-way selector switch to switch between the humbucker and the two single coils. and there is a master volume and 2 tone controls. dont know what teh model of pickups are but they were upgraded because it is a standard not affinity. there were no included accessories as it doesn't come in a pack only the worse affinity. The only thing I am annoyed about is the scratchplate as it has little airbubbles in where the plastic covering is (I can't take it off) and they look like scratches, and also the nut is a bit dirty (might be grease, don't know) which are only cosmetic flaws and depend on luck really, it looks amazing though! // 9

Sound: My style is like Green Day, Guns N' Roses, Red Hot Chilis stuff like that and it suits that well. You can get more rock like GN'R with the humbucker and others with the brighter single coils. basically I couldn't decide whether to get an Epiphone les paul, or a Squier normal Strat, so I found this and thought of it as getting the best of both worlds as then I could decide which one was coolest, and I now have the best of both worlds! I use a random amplifier we have in our living room which is 600 watts so it can go pretty loud! I haven't got a practice one yet as I have to buy all the stuff seperately. it is very loud with the humbucker and is definately more rounded and you can get classic rock tones. at the moment I can only hear a slight difference between the two single coil pickups but I'm sure my ear will get better! I can also only play it clean so I can't give any more details. Clean though, it is awesome, I'm sure if you bought a Fender and this you wouldn't really hear the difference! I can hear lots of cool sounds and get a vareity of good tones for different styles. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up perfectly and the action is perfect! the pickups were like the sword in teh stone so was all the other hardware. the only flaws I have mntioned are above so this was pretty good. the tuners are pretty good, after using the whammy bar, I needed to tune it very much but after using it a few times it seems to go less out of tune and so they are getting better, although, when I have just tuned it, as in, half a second it sort of goes down in pitch which can be stopeed with some Precision. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It probably will withstand live playing but I don't do gigs as yet 'cause I am not really super talented, yet! the strap buttons are very solid and so is the rest of the hardware: pickups, buttons etc. I would not gig without a backup but then Who would? the finish seems very thick and thrashing around wouldn't really have much effect. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great guitar and you can get the best of both worlds with the pickups etc, awesome, buy it if you want a relatively cheap first guitar and you dunnno what to get! // 10

Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 18, 2006

Purchased from: Guitar Shop

Sound: I play Beatles, Cream, Hendrix and other old stuff. It's great for this, not for metal/death kind of music. Surprisingly, it's not noisy at all. I use it with a Fender amp, only with the amp's overdrive for now, and it sounds cool. With a little patience, you can make it sound like a nylon string guitar, like a dreadnought, and many blues-style electric sounds, even heavyer tones with the bridge pickup. It suits me well. Nice tone, could be better, but no obvious flaws. Btw, pleny of sustain despite the floating bridge. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The shop crew had already tuned it, so it was just right when I got it. It feels and looks good, not a scratch or mark on it, and I'm a flaw maniac. Low action, nicely balanced floating bridge. The neck was (is) straight. It doesn't get out of tune if I use the vibrato bar (I was surprised, it was my biggerst worry with this guitar). // 10

Reliability & Durability: Have it for a week. Looks solid, I think it will last long. I take good care of my instruments, but if you abuse it, the first things that are going to fail are the tone and volume dials. I think only if abused. As I said, it doesn't go out of tune that quick, lasts even 20 (add up, of course) hard playing hours, with bends and everything. I retuned it only once so far since I had it. Since the paint is transparent, I can see that the wood is beautifuly cut, no flaws there either. // 9

Overall Impression: I like it a lot. It's good, and has a good price. I had to choose between this and a $300 Ibanez. It's my first electric guitar, played a lot on dreadnought. It suits me, love the Stratocaster look and feel. The only effect pedal I'm going to get is a wah-wah. I tested it a lot at the shop, because I am certain there may be flaws in some particular guitars. I know buying from the internet is comfortable, but you have to hear and feel a guitar to like it. // 10

Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: Scorpexv, on march 15, 2008

Purchased from: Allans

Features: The Standard series Fat Strat. 22 frets, 2 single coils and bridge humbucker. Agathis (i.e. cheap mahogany) body, with rosewood 'board and maple neck. '70s Hendrix headstock, and everything else fresh out of China. I have a red one (not transparent finish), with mega awesome black pickguard and pickups! Very versatile combination. // 9

Sound: I've owned this guitar for about 1 year, and must say I am impressed. I have recently bought a Fender Mexican Strat (with 3 single coils) and this guitar is lighter by comparison. The pickups are a bit muddy with distortion. I don't expect much for the price tag, but once you get some chops under your belt, you'll want more. This is a very versatile axe though, the humbucker allows you to experiment a lot. A great beginner's Tool. Agathis is supposedly mahogany-like in tone, and it does sound different from Alder Strats. Compared to my MIM Strat, it actually a little warmer, and the humbucker allows a lot more versatility. Better pickups would undoubtebly improve the tone, and I intend to upgrade this one. I like that it is a little warmer sounding. Clean this guitar sounds ok, distorion is harder to muster a useable sound, but still fun. This axe can go anywhere (2 SC's plus bridge bucker means it will do almost anything you tell it to). // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Okay, when I brought this home, the strings were rusted to shit (probably just not maintained), though after a once over this Strat played great. The neck has a real Fender feel to it, slim and fast, though not Ibanez shred-god worthy (wizard necks are shred-kings) but fast, relaxed, with no faults. While cheap, it's light, and very fun to play. Built well, no obvious flaws, played very well once I changed the strings. Should note that I tried to sting this up with 10-52 strings, and gave up as the string floated over it's 'nut-space'. I don't wanna file it, so it's good ol' 9's for me. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I took it apart and put it back together. Considering I'm a retard when it comes to dissassembling and re-assembling guitars, it lived and plays well. I had a few 'near misses' when the strap decided to let go and try to throw my gutar down (Very lucky to catch it), I invested in strap locks and haven't looked back. Other than that, The finish shows no wearing, and nothing is broke. Seems solid, though I wouldn't gig without replacing the pickups, unless 'River of mud' is your tone (and there's nothing wrong with that) // 9

Overall Impression: I'm an alt-rock, psychedelic rock fuzz junkie. So getting a Strat was pretty much essential. I got this as my first axe, as I wanted to toy with a lot of different sounds and for this it does it's job well. For the price, there is no complaints. The neck-feel is impressive, and the pickup combo really helps you find your voice. I don't think it's a gigger, but it offers enough to be a great first axe, a tonal powerhouse, and will probably help you much when choosing your next axe to better fit you. A great first step. // 8

Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: Kiwara, on september 16, 2008

Purchased from: www.kytary.cz

Features: Standard Strat from Squier by Fender, 22 frets, palisander fretboard. Walnut satin finish. 1x humbucker 2x singel-coil, 5 way selector switch. Tuners non lociking, has a tremolo (Strat-style). I really like the looks of this guitar, but that's probably it. The guitar doesn't intonate well, so when I play higher notes, it goes out of tune. Then it seems that when I only touch the tremolo, it gets out of tune. Mine got pickups slightly too down, so there seems to be no magnet under the thickest E string, so it sound kind of muffled. // 5

Sound: I play metal and hard rock. This guitar had quite a good sound, but now I have it like maybe a year, and the pickups got really weak, they are some no name brand, so the sound is away. Has absolutely no sustain now, badly intonates in higher positions on the fretboard. When I play clean it's still quite ok, but. When you play on the humbucker it has a deep darker clean sound, when I play on the single in neck position, it is really bright. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is perefect, I bought it and it was good straight from factory. It also has a very good thin neck, which I really like. The pickups were adjusted well, although I rose them a bit. It was good stright from factory. I had to tighten up the hole where you insert the jack, and the tuning pegs. What I hate about this guitar is that the plastic top on the selector Switch falls down all the time. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I played quite a lot of gigs with it and it's relyable, strap buttons solid, everything OK. I always took it without backup. The finish is superb. // 10

Overall Impression: Well I think this guitar isnt good for any style. it's made to be so universal that you can play anything on it, but there will be always something of that particular style missing. I play the guitar for nine years, and when I bought this guitar, my old one broke, and I didn't have money. It's quite solid, but I think there are better guitars for this money (maybe some AXL's or something). If it was stolen I would deffinitly not buy it again (I'm now saving money, and I'll buy probably an EPI Prophecy EX, or Jackson Dinky D2/DXMG). The worst are probably the pickups, I can never recomend you to buy a guitar with noname pickups. The guitar played fine when I bought it but now it's a disaster. The pups are weak. Guess the If I'd replace the frets, so it intonates better, change the pups for some Seymour duncans, and bought a Floyd Rose, the guitar would be great - the body is great, I love the neck. But if you count the costs, it's really better to buy a new GTR. // 5

Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: gbgg9409, on october 29, 2008

Features: This guitar was made in about 2000, 2001 maybe, and was crafted in Indonesia. It has 22 frets and a rosewood fretboard, and it is green with a black pickguard. The green finish has a really nice slight sparkle to it. It comes with a string through body and Floyd Rose Tremolo, as well as 2 tone knobs and 1 volume knob, and, as usual, the 5-way selector. There are 2 single coils in the middle and the neck, (don't know what kind, possibly Duncan Designed, ) and a nice humbucker on the bridge. It doesn't say what kind of tuners they are, but it came with a Marshall G10 MK. II practice amp, (tiny yet super powerful, ) gig bag, strap and cable, which I have replaced after 7 years of usage. // 9

Sound: I play mostly rock, (alternative, garage, retro, classic) and some blues and a little bit of country. This thing is so versatile. It suits all my styles perfectly. I am using it with a Marshall G10 MK. II (as mentioned earlier, ) and a Dunlop Crybaby Classic. It's not muddy or anything, and sounds awesome. I can get a variety of great sounds out of it, including one that sounds a lot like Hendrix, or Clapton on "Sunshine of Your Love." // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't really know what it was like when it was Brand New, because my sister owned it for about 5 years before giving it to me 2 years ago. The bridge comes out of tune a little less than often, and it's a pain in the butt to put it in different tunings. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't like that when it was new. Considering how long I've had this, it's in excellent shape, but I've been shopping around for a new guitar anyway. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think it would be pretty good Live. The hardware has lasted for almost a decade, so I'm pretty sure it won't bail out on me just yet. After I got a stiffer leather strap, it hasn't come off by itself for a long time. However, the strap that came with it is cheaper and comes off a lot easier. I would use it on a gig with no backup, because this is 1. a decent guitar which I can rely on and 2. my only guitar. The finish is pretty much flawless, even though I've been playing it lots. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said before, I play mostly rock, blues, and some country, and this suits it perfectly. Extremely versatile. Squier has made an excellent guitar for a very affordable price. How they do it is a mystery to me. If it were lost or stolen, I would hunt that thief down and cut off his toes until he gave it back. The best part about this is probably how versatile it is. Don't waste your money on a Fender, you're just paying for the brand name! Squiers are just as great! // 10

Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: LezPaulEpiphone, on may 04, 2009

Features: 22 frets, Rosewood fretboard. Strat sytle body, String-thru body. Chrome hardware. Large 60's style headstock. Master Volume one, 2 tone, 5 way pick up selector. Polyurethane Finish. Available in Red/Black, Black. I got a gig bag, and a strap when I brought it, I also got a lead with it. // 8

Sound: I play some Metallica/Megadeth style metal, and also some classic rock (Led Zep, GNR). I'm using a Roland Cube 15X with it, with no effects apart form the built in ones on the amp. With the humbucker, you can get a nice full rich sound, and with the single coils, you can get a very bright sound. Very versatile. I am quite happy with the sound of this, I've played it through a Peavey Valveking, and I got some really nice tones using a better amp. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was VERY poorly set up. I went back to the shop, told them that it was set up terribly, and they gave me a free set up. The pick ups were fine. In fact I really like the sound of these pups. It didn't contain any major flaws apart from the set up, and a small chip in the wood. Hardly any fret buzz, very good for a 200 guitar. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Yes, this guitar is very well built, it has suffered a few major knocks, and it still plays just as it did before. I've had the guitar for about a year and a half now, and the hardware looks like it is going to last. Yes, I would use it on a gig with no backup. The finish is very good, I'm pretty sure it will not wear away. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly Metal, and the bridge position suit's the genre very well. The neck position is great for clean stuff, sounds very nice and bright. I've been playing for about 3 years (including 1 year classical) I own a Vintage V100 guitar, a Roland Cube 15X, and a Crafter Acoustic. If it was stolen/lost, I wouldn't buy it again, mainly because I'm saving up for a new amp, and I can't afford a new one. I love the Strat look, that was probably the main reason I brought it, I also love the headstock, as it is a 60's one. I don't like the neck, it's quite slow, and doesn't allow upper fret access. Compared to my Vintage, It's nearly as good, although I do prefer my Vintage for playing metal. When I'm playing lighter stuff, I use the squire. I would recommend this for players who are starting guitar, it's very good value for money. // 9

Standard Fat Strat Reviewed by: Bluelephant4, on july 02, 2012

Purchased from: My moms work friend

Features: This was my first electric guitar. I've been to guitar center and played Stratocasters (and don't get mo wrong I like them) and none of them have compared to this guitar for me. I've always been partial to rosewood fretboards so that was a major plus. I never use the humbucker but its great for some effects. I have 4 springs on the tremolo (just because I couldnt get the 6th one on) and use Dr strings. I never use the tremolo so it just got in the way and went out of tune but its okay now. The springs really helped. I never had problems with the strap locks (not sure what they're called) like some other people. I've always preferred the CBS era headstocks as well. // 9

Sound: I play some metal and hard rock (I think its fine for both. Metals a little sketchy but it manages). I mostly play songs by bands such as Weezer, Russian Circles, Isis, RHCP, Mogwai, Pedro The Lion, This Bike Is A Pipe Bomb, The White Stripes etc. I also play a lot of blues and punk. It has a very good tone to me. I can pretty much get every sound I want out of it by messing with the tone and effects. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a little high. A problem solved by the springs. The pickups were fine. I adjusted them so that the pickups were higher towards the low E. I had no problems with the guitar whatsoever. Well.. There was the fact that the tremolo bridge floated waaaaaaaaay to high but I fixed that. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Yes. Yes. Yes. I can depend on this guitar. The finish is GREAT. I have that red with the black pickguard. Although I want to switch it out for an aluminum one. I do want to change the humbucker too. But overall? Great guitar. I wouldn't trade the finish for anything else. // 9

Overall Impression: I love Squier. The only thing I wish that this guitar had is a Bigsby tailpiece lol. One thing I really love about this guitar is the headstock. I don't really enjoy the smaller ones and I feel like other fenders are too small. I know that this is supposed to be a beginner guitar but its really good. My mom got it from a friend for 50 dollars. We were pretty lucky I guess. // 10

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Vintage Modified Telecaster Custom 6.8 Electric Guitars 10/28/2014