Standard Strat Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 08/25/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Squier: Standard Strat
An affordable, quality Strat! Maple neck, agathis body, tremolo, 2 single-coil pickups, and a bridge humbucker for a fatter sound.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Features: 7.8
 7.5
 8.2
 6.8
reviews (22) pictures (5) 36 comments vote for this gear:
Standard Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 18, 2005

Purchased from: [Undisclosed Location]

Features: I'm upgrading/modifying the manufacturer set up to individualize my sound: - Pickup neck position: Fender Vintage Noiseless Telecaster Pickup. - Pickup middle position: DiMarzio DP117 HS-3. - Pickup bridge position: Fender Vintage Noiseless Stratocaster Pickup. I'm replacing the tuning keys with a set of Gotoh's. Off the line this guitar is great, if anyone has a problem with it, personally they either got a lemon, or they are a lemon. With a decent rack, or even pedals you can compensate, however for a beginning player, I would definately recommend this guitar (or any in the Ibanez S series). // 8

Sound: This guitar (minus the limiting nature of the twin pivot trem) can take me from Mount Celestia with Vaughan, to Nirvana with Satch, to Hell with Malmsteen and back again to chill with BB King. I've used this guitar running through various amps, pre-amps, processors, etc. My preferred line up would be: Marshall JCM800 Head, 1960AV/BV Cab, Line 6 Pod XT live. Live: Behringer X V-AMP (small time messing around when away from home). Ibanez TB100H Half stack w/Digitech GNX4 GeNeTx Workstation. (for at home practicing). The stock pickups buzz like a mother with the little Behringer or, just in general (which is why they're being sub'd). All in all, it's an extremely versatile guitar with the proper set up. When I first got it I was only using an Ibanez TB10, even then it was superb. Harmonics, harmonics, harmonics! I've used this guitar to help cover bands such as Disturbed, Satriani, Steve Vai, Creedence Clearwater Revival to... Avril Lavigne (god she's hot). When finances permit, I do recommend sub'ing the pickups/pots. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action needed to be adjusted a wee bit, wasn't to far off and was definately playable out of the box. The pickups however needed massive adjustment, the damn things were almost buried under the pickguard, the machination of the body/neck was fine, just a little adjusting of her Trus-r' fixed the neck (note: Don't play with your rod if you don't know what you're doing, Replacement necks are expensive). I did find three specs, about .5 mm in size just above the pickguard on the cutaway it looks like a bunch of the metallic flecks got stuck together when they painted it. Not noticable from a distance but damn they're annoying. The neck did have a sandburn on it, infront of the back-facing bolt. The coating inside the routing under the pickguard was satisfactory, although they misaligned one of the holes for the screw that goes in the pickguard at the fartest point from the ferrule/jack. Less than what I found wrong with the SG Standard. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could probably withstand the test of time, or even eternity, if its treated properly, buy a decent case for it, don't act like a barbarian with it and try to cleave open your cabinets with it, and it should be fine. The only reason you may need a backup is if you snap your strings, or beat the hell out of it. The finish is fine, its held up for quite a while now, and I've rubbed/polished the hell out of it. I changed the pickguard to a custom made Fender black mirror Standard Strat guard, bad idea, swirls, swirls, swirls. It's a bastard to keep clean. Of the line rating. // 10

Overall Impression: I have what I need, as required and no more. This guitar is symbiotic with its owner, it will morph to any situation given proper skill. If there one thing I wish I would have asked, had come with it, was a licenced Fender tech to do the upgrading for me at first. I compared this to the Squier/Fender Fat/Standard and Double fats, I chose Squier because it was the little girl in the family, but I did accidentally buy a Standard instead of the Fat Strat I'm not disappointed. // 8

Standard Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 30, 2005

Features: Very nice, especially concerning the cost. This particular guitar features you normal Strat body, three single coil pickups in usual Strat formation, knob for bass pickup tone, knob for middle pickup tone, volume, 5 way pickup selection Switch, black polyurethane finish, and mirror pickguard. Tremolo bridge is an added plus, but I have never strung it correctly without having that floating brigde be raised too high. Probably just me. Fender strings are worthless, so get some GHS before you leave store. Wood, agathis body, maple C-shaped neck, and nice rosewood fretboard, with 22 med-jumbo frets. My opinion, a very nice Strat design guitar with accordingly great features for a much smaler price than your usual Strat. Great buy at $199 too. // 10

Sound: Well, I play alot of '60s and '70s rock like Zeppelin and Hendrix, country, jazz, and the good SRV stuff. Sound is great, and can get very thick with a well overdriven amp. I commonly use a little 15 watt Fender amp, no pedals, just set it on a medium Drive volume with alot of gain, and the sound is tailor made for Hendrix type rock. As for variety, the 5 way Switch is very useful. For example, with less gain and bridge pick up, adding high treble volume on the amp, you get a nice sort of clanging sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Only flaw is self induced. Some nut accidentally knocked in the middle pickup knob, so the pickguard is chipped in, and the knob has a habit of falling inside the guitar. Fretboard action is pretty good, and fits my hand well. The bridge, again, I think it's just me, but I've never strung it correctly because it's always pulled up so far out of it's little hole, you cant really use the tremolo bar. Hardware shines like stars. The output plug thing. Well, it's where you plug in your guitar cable and I don't know it's technical term. Anyway, the nut outside the plug tends to get loose often, and I find tightening it only cuts any output whatsoever. Dunno if that's what's supposed to happen, but that's what I get. When I first got it though, thing was fine, so I'll bet this is all my doing. It gets a five. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Live palying? Well, sans a snap-crackle-pop cable, it'll be just fine. Though, got to get that output plug squared away. One certainly does not want the sound cut off randomly. Hardware looks quite durable. Strap buttons, I may need some duct tape for those guys. Now, without a back up? Yeah, I'd feel good without a backup, so long as I have GHS strings. Finish looks like it'll last well, but looks are the last thing on my mind. // 10

Overall Impression: For me, great match for a great price. When I first got it last June, I wanted to get something that I could use for several years and beyond, and something that could take some abuse. Thus far, thing is working very well, and I could see it surviving for a while. For the cost, I'd buy anohter one if it got lost, though if it got stolen, then I'd probably kill that fellow who pilfered it. As for buying something else. I've never used a Les Paul, but I rather like the three single coil pickups, and the Switch, so I'd stick with Fender or Squire. // 10

Standard Strat Reviewed by: nick dixon, on april 30, 2007

Purchased from: Carboot sale

Sound: The sound, where to begin. This guitar is absolutyl amazing. I'd say it sounds exactly the same, if not better to any other Fender Stratocaster I've heard. The pickups are warm and rich and subtle, but the harder you hit the strings the more it breaks up for a heavier blues sound. Only with 9 gauge strings fitted too. Currently I have a few amps (Marshall valvestate, Line 6 Spider II 212 and a 10 watt Squier practise amp) I'm going to shock you, but the Squier Strat and the little cheapo 10 watt practise amp with 2 band EQ and volume, it sounds simply amazing. I'm not kidding you, I've been playing guitar for 5 years and been involved with music for 10 years, I've never heard anything quite like it. The sound is identical to Hendrix's earlier hits like "Wind Cries Mary," "Hey Joe". Neck pickup is very bluesy and warm, while the middle setting is biting and full, and the bridge pickup is a little thin sounding, but just boost the gain a bit and your away. No noisy controls or anything. Certainly a lot more articulate then any humbucking guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well this guitar was secondhand, and had been used. Few minor things for example the frets are a tad worn at the basic chord positions like G, C, A, D etc. The guitar hasn't been played with or adjusted by the owner, it looks like everything was done by guitar shop workers. The neck has a few low frets afer the 14th fret on the neck, but it's fine. Machine heads were loose but I've sorted that out. One of the best guitar necks I have ever played, smooth fast comfy. Just a little bit of a high action on the 1st string, only from the radius roll off. All the woodwork is neatly done, no poor routing or hand chiseling in the pockets. everything as normal I geuss, pickups were well balanced. The paint finish on this guitar is flawlest perfect, better then most American fenders. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built like a brick shit house. Almost identical to my 1994 japaneese 1962 reissue. I would play any gig with this guitar, it holds tune perfect. This is intresting as whoever had it last (like always) has lost the tremelo arm, not a problem, but what I really like is that the tremelo springs have been tightened to pull the tremelo flat to the body so it can't be moved from palm muting and also stops detuning in general. Good idea. I may get a tremelo arm and blance it back up again, but hardly anyone uses the tremelo unless you want crazy dive bombs like a floyd rose. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best guitar I've ever owned. Any I've had about 20 guitars ranging from a custom project to a Fender to a Hondo to a Gibson. Amazing little thing. I would look out for another guitar just the same as this, but I doubt I'd strike gold like this one, it just seems to be right for me. // 10

Standard Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 12, 2009

Purchased from: UniSound

Features: This guitar is a Standard Squier Strat made in 2006 in China. It consists of 21 frets, which is quite irritating as a lot of songs incorporate notes on the 22nd fret; but as this was a starter guitar for me this allowed me to develop my bending as every time I needed to play the 22nd fret I'd just bend up there. The neck is rosewood and I think the body is made out of alder like strats should be. Finished in black with a white pick-guard. Not the prettiest combination I have to say. It has non-locking tuners and the Standard bread and butter features found in all Strats - 2 tone pots etc.For the price I managed to get a couple of picks, a strap and a small practice amp thrown in. // 7

Sound: There is a very bad preconception towards the Squier brand - people say they sound terrible and this is simply not the case. Any guitar can sound good if it has a good player behind it. This is intended as a guitar for people to learn on. Some assume it's the guitar that sucks and not the player - it's usually the opposite way around. I play anything except heavy metal and this guitar really suits that. Currently, I am playing it through a Marshall MG 10 (terrible amp) and a Korg AX 1500 (fantastic effects board) The pick ups are acceptable; they can manage a nice clean sound and can be distorted quite well; they heaviest I've managed to make them sound good at is around a Rage Against The Machine level distortion. Any higher level of distortion sounds silly. The pick ups are a little muddy and don't have much clarity compared to some of the fenders I played but are by far the most clear, bright and punchy that I played in the same price range. The neck pickup can produce a nice, full sound (see 'The Tourist' by Radiohead) and the bridge can bring some 'squealing' tones and deliver a bit of Red Hot Chilli Pepper style funk (see 'Can't Stop') There is a lot left to be desired but, a beginner almost certainly won't be able to tell the difference. If I used the ear I had been developing after the last 3 years I would rate the sound 7 however, if I heard this when I was beginning to play I would rate it a 9. So I struck the middle ground with my rating. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was surprisingly well set up. It sounded fine when I got it and after a small pick up adjustment I managed to make it sound as good as it's ever going to sound; the people at the factory knew what they were doing. The action was perfect, it was very low but not to buzzy levels. (after I changed the stock strings though)The finish is definitely not very good. If you put it in some lights you can see the lines where the spray pointing gun has gone up and down (particularly on the curves) and the colour is a little bit depressing to be honest. The pick up selector is quite noisy too; especially with distortion on, but that's nitpicking. The volume pot was Busted from day one; anything below volume 10 the amp buzzes like crazy. I literally can't keep it on anything less than 10 but, hey that's not exactly a bad thing? :D // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have gigged with this guitar several times and it has never failed me in the slightest. Totally reliable for gigging; however I highly recommend fixing some strap buttons on. Many-a-band practice I had my strap fall off and I look like a bit of a pleb. I've had the guitar for 2 years now and no piece of hardware has stopped working in that time. There's a few dents from where I've knocked it around but you only notice them if you look for them and why would you do that? It's a really solid guitar and feels it. If I see it about to fall over I don't Rush to catch it because I know it will be fine. Unless it's on concrete. Then I jump for it. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said earlier, I've had this guitar for 2 years now; I think that's sufficient time to give this a review. Now, I'm really ready to move onto bigger and better things but as a starter guitar - look no further. Seriously, in hindsight there is no other starter guitar I would buy and I've played a lot. The Les Paul copies in this price range are just terrible and for a Strat type guitar this is the best in the price range. Also, you can get pretty good deals with them. Strats are the most versatile guitars, full stop. Although, if you play metal look to install a humbucker in here or just look for a more metal orientated guitar. For anything else, this is what you want. it's versatility is perfect for a beginner trying to find his/her style. If it were stolen, no, I wouldn't buy a new one. Mainly, because I'm buying a new guitar tomorrow though. But, for the while I'm keeping it as a back up guitar. I don't wish it had anything extra - for the price you pay this guitar is as good as perfect. To summarise in a sentence; a perfect beginners guitar that has great reliability and versatility. Thanks if you took the time to read this. // 10

Standard Strat Reviewed by: jeffo46, on november 17, 2011

Features: This is my 2nd review for this guitar. Mine is a 2008 Indonesian made model in the Metallic Black finish. It has a Maple neck and fretboard w/ 22 Medium Jumbo frets and stock Squier Lubricated Tuners. The body is made from Agathis and has a Volume and 2 Tone Controls, along with 3 single coil pickups which I'll get into later, because since my last review, I did a total rehaul of all of the electronics of the guitar. // 10

Sound: I did a total revamp of the electronics of the guitar strating with the Volume and Tone Pots which were replaced with Fender 250K Split Pots. My reason for doing this is because, Squier makes these with 500K's which being the Strat purist that I am, I wanted my Strat to have all 100% Strat parts in it. Next I replaced the cheap 5 way switch with a USA made, Fender Strat 5 way pup switch after which I installed a set of Custom Shop 57/62 pickups. Now the sound and tone of this guitar is definitely on par with any MIA Fender Strat but for a fraction of what it would cost to buy a new one. I do have a 2006 MIA 60th Anniversary Model but, ever since I remodded this, that's been sitting in it's case while this one's been getting a ton of use. It sounds absolutely great. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The neck is well made with no edges sticking out and has that nice "C" profile to it, which I think has that early 60's feel to it. It was setup fine when I got it, but as I said, I just did a total rehaul with the electronics, so now it's like having a all new guitar. The action on it, is absolutely great and the stock tuners do a great job of maintaining tuning stability. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This one's a keeper that'll last me a lifetime. There's no doubt about that at all. I've already used it at several gigs as my main guitar with no problems at all. These are very well made instruments that will last, providing you take proper care of them. // 10

Overall Impression: Not that this was a bad guitar to begin with, because it wasn't, but I found that these are great for modding and the end result was definitely worth it. I highly recommend getting one of these if you're a beginner or are on a low budget. I personally think they're one of Fender's best kept secrets. // 10

Standard Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 07, 2004

Purchased from: prosound

Features: 2002 20th ann. Standard Strat, Indonesion made. 22frets rosewood. Laminated top I think, alder body maple neck, platnum gold metallic finish, 3 ply pickgaurd, Standard Strat floating trem. 3 knobs 1v2t 5way sw. Standard Strat s.c. immitation pickups (very good knock offs), immitation Standard Strat tuners non locking (also very fine immitations). It came with the trem bar atleast. // 8

Sound: I play everything from the Beatles to Pantera, Slipknot to Simon & Garfukle, it's rich lows are fairly clean not to mention the painless highs. I plug into a Peavy Expess 112 65w 12" spk. 2 channel amp it's an impressive amp to begin with so it really brings out the Strat sound. I commonly use wah, it really contributes to that classic Strat noise. Scp u's aren't really as powerful for some things as they are others so I tend to stomp on my DOD Death Metal pedal to make it scream like dimebag. With a little fancy picking this axe will scream. Noises are a slight problem when I'm using my pedals though, any Strat makes a little noise when you select just one pu even the most expensive model out there. I really like the sound, it fascinates me how much this guitar mimicks it's almost $400 Fender cousin. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I had prosound set it up for me, it took just a few minutes he gave the guitar to me and asked him for the phillips head to raise the brigde pu then it was tits! Everything was set up perfect, definetly one the nicest squiers I've ever played. I just love the 60's style headstock and thin neck, it fits me like a glove. The brigde is narrower than my other Strat which not only looks shnazzy but is quite simple to play and I find it easier to find notes in the 1st-5th fret range. Very comfortable feel for non american Fender products. I got the guitar virtualy brand new so there were no dings or dints no grime on the stings not even a slight showing of wear on the pickguard. Since I got it though the lamination started chipping off the back of the neck on the bottom by about the 3rd fret position on the lower side (high E). I'm still pissed about it. I almost thought I found the only perfect Squier. Expectedly like any guitar the cable nut came loose after a while. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I could say if I wasn't worried about people laughing at me carring a Squier on stage, I would rely on it to go live, with a backup. The hardware is actual Fender stuff so it should be rock solid, so far so good. The strap buttons aren't presenting a problem but I don't expect to be jumping around or anything that might cause me to drop the guitar, I treat all my guitars like gold, even the cheap ones. Like I said earlier the finish on the neck continues to chip but you can barely tell w/out getting up close and really rubbing your hand over the area. The paint on the body looks wet and thick, very good for the price. It shines up real deep and glossy like an expensive metal flake car finish. // 6

Overall Impression: For my extensive roots in almost every aspect of the guitar, this guitar is awesome it can really cover it all. The only thing I wouldn't use it for is extremely thrashing metal, but with mods this guitar could do that too! I've been playing guitar for ten years. I have picked up some of the best guitars in the world, played them and said they sucked because they werent as comfortable or as playable as any Strat out there. I own a 95' Fender Mexican Strat it's the aged model. Not sure what they call that one. Customized with SD hotrails pu's & custom wiring, it's ok. I also have the disconinued Ibanez RG470 black-out super Strat style HSH configured floyd rose locking metal machine. I love it like a child and wouldnt give up for the world (the price is what really gets me $899 brand new in 95' or 96'). It's actually back at prosound as of today getting a well deserved servicing. I've go a real 1960 somthing Gibson Explorer played by some famous dude I can't remember (he wasn't that famous obviously). It's paited blue with a giant bright red spider web, it's very custom, it's just a single hb with a Fender style string through body trem. System, someone put a bunch of time and effort into it. But it's warped to all hell and sounds like I found it in a dumpster. I've gone through numerous acoustics, giving them away to nursing homes and other such places. I've got a few amps, my fav being my expess 112, it's a real piece of equipment. Countless stomp boxes, dist., wah, dely. I should have asked if there were any others Squiers anywhere in the world that play like this one, I got lucky! Funny thing though, I didnt mean to even buy this guitar! I ordered a Custom Squier from Fender through prosound, the order got f--ked up and nobody told me. I went down to prosound to pick up my custom job on the day I was told to come (like 6 weeks after I placed the order) and thats when they broke it to me that my order failed, they shipped some wierd looking Custom Squier Tele with nothing I asked for except the paint color! I was furious. At the same time some guy was returning this Strat at the checkout desk, saying it just wasn't what he was looking for. He had bought it 2 days prior for $199. They refunded the unhappy customer and offered me the 2 day used Strat for $99 to compensate for my mental anguish. Took one look at the $200 brand new Squier and said yes. It wasn't quite what I was looking for but after the sevice department set it up for me it just started growing on me. Now I pick it up instead of my brand name axes. If it were lost or stolen I would be royally pissed, I honestly dont think there is another Standard Squier like this one its just the pick of the litter. I would probably get the real thing next time, just to compare. I love the look of it altogether its a chip off the ol' block, classic Fender styling, 60's style headstock, 3-ply pickguard, bronze powdercoated saddles, marble inlays, engraved neck plate with Fender logo and 20th ann. Insignia. Brilliant chrome hw, glossy rosewood fingerboard, large arched 60's style "Stratocaster" lettering, detailed gold & black "Squier" lettering on headstock, clearly stating "Standard Series" in cursive on the very round head. I am going to put a 3ply bwb pickguard w/coresponding black knobs & pickup covers & backplate. 2 black seymor duncan screamin demons neck and bridge positions, get the wiring done, no more noises. Then it'll be ready for the world. And posibly I'll get down and dirty, buy a one peice body and a locking trem. Probly that new Ibanez floyd rose knock off, the edge-pro er' whatever, I personly like it better that the floyd rose. I've gotta get my whammy bar fix in! overall I'm impressed with this Squier unlike most of them. Go Fender! // 8

Standard Strat Reviewed by: sghero, on december 09, 2004

Purchased from: Academy of Sound Glasgow

Features: The model I have was built in 2000 and constructed in China and is a Fat Strat model, it has 22 jumbo frets and has a standard 25.5" bolt-on neck. The body and neck are both maple and the fretboard is rosewood. The finish is a semi transparent idea where you can see the woodgrain through the paint. I have it in candyapple red but it also comes in Satin Pewter Metallic Black Metallic and Walnut Satin. You are provided with a single volume and 2 tone pots as is standard with most Stratocasters and the 5-way blade selector. The Fat Strat differs from the Standard Strat ION that it comes with a humbucker in the bridge position giving you that extra bite needed for heavier styles of music because lets face it singlecoils just ain't metal. The Fat Strat also carries the Fender Spaghetti signature and a pre CBS buyout 60s style headstock. Lets face it everybody who knows guitars has lusted after one of these guitars (albeit one of the slighty more expensive cousins) but lets face it the Strat is a classic and theres not a hell of a lot to complain about on the features side. // 8

Sound: I play punk music mostly, or at least I did when I first got this guitar, my musical tastes have changed over the past four years but I still always end up back playing my stratand playnig a bit of Hendrix on it. Through the Marshall Micro Stack I've recently bought I think I may trully understand why the pairing of a Marshall stack and a Fender (or close approximation) was so important to the music community. The one problem I have with this guitar is that it does lose a considerable ammount of power when played clean in the bridge possition but the neck and all possitions before the bridge more than make up for the slightly less powerful sound at the bridge, however when played at the appropriate volume and with a major ammount of gain thrown into the mix this guitar trully comes into its own and could stand up to a Fender Strat rather easily. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: There really isn't much I can say bad about anything here. The guitar was well set up out of the shop, but as there was a custom shop on site (the guys pretty famous in Glasgow and my dad actually knows the guy). I would be very supprised if the guitar was in anything less than amazing condition. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Can I just get one point across. This is a Stratocaster, these guitars have been used for playing live for over 50 years now. So any company that are quite capeable of producing guitars for well over 50 years and put as much effort into their sister company for over 20 must surley know what they're doing. I also own a Epi G-310 (stripped down version of the G-400). I've had the Epi for around 2 and a half years and the epi has taken a lot more damage, the Fat Strat is a solidly built very stable guitar. There may be many similarly priced Strat style guitars but none with the backing of Fender. // 10

Overall Impression: I've had enough time with this guitar to know it intimately (hell I even woke up with it one morning) but I do know that this guitar will stand the test of time, even though its a budget guitar it definetly compares its more expensive Fender counterparts. A must for young players with as much experience as money and fans of guitars alike. // 10

Standard Strat Reviewed by: who0ligan, on january 24, 2005

Features: - 22 medium jumbo frets (25.5" scale) - 1.650" width at nut - Solid tonewood body - Alder/agathis - Maple neck, C-shape neck. (maple or rosewood fingerboard, 9.5" radius) - Polyurethane finish - Fender American Series Strat style - Two Pivot Point Fulcrum tremolo brige - 5-position pickup Switch blade - 3 Knobs: master volume, tone 1 (neck pickup), tone 2 (middle pickup) - 3 Alnico Magnet single-coil pickups - Standard Die-Cast tuners - Chrome hardware - Large '60s style headstock - Plastic parts - Dot position inlays - Comes with Fender 3250 strings (nickel plated steel). // 8

Sound: I play mostly rock; soft, classic, hard, metal, punk. Just about everything. My style is a rhytmic/melody blues rock style. Just like most players today. I play alot of Hendrix, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, and some AC/DC. And this guitar plays 'em perfectly. Especailly the Strat users like Hendrix and Eddy Van Halen. But can also have that Les Paul/humbucking sound if you have your amp and guitar set right. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Well when you first get this guitar you might wanna get new strings. Or just try to break it. Because I personally don't like the sound or feel of the Fender strings. But that's just me. The neck is pretty good, not too amazing. Just average. The fretboard feels pretty good and the frets aint bad. The action is perfect like when I play a chord, I just don't play it I annihilate the strings. So it's pretty good. So far I haven't found any flaws 'cept for the shitty strings. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Well I've had this guitar for only 'bout a month or so now. And so far it's held up strong compaired to others. No problems, 'cept the strings (as I said) started to rust and stuff after like, the first week. So I got a nice standard light gauge pair of D'Addario strings to fix the problem. // 6

Overall Impression: Well overall for me, this guitar is perfect. If I only had a bit more cash I would've got something nicer like a Fender American Series. Because that's what this guitar is modeled after. If you're a serious musican but don't got alot of dough. Or just starting out this is a good guitar for you. Add some nice Seymour Duncan pickups and maybe an Offical Floyd Rose bridge on this baby and this guitar would be the mack of all the daddys. // 8

Standard Strat Reviewed by: guitar21@WE, on october 14, 2005

Purchased from: Guitar Center - Buffalo

Features: This 22 fret strat-style guitar has a rose wood neck with a nice finish of sunburst maple on the body. It is a good looking guitar. It has all the usuals of a Stratocaster Squire edition. It came with a whammy bar, and thats about all of the accesories that I got with this guitar. Great starter guitar. // 9

Sound: I play anything from Green Day to Jimi hendrix and all in between. This guitar does fine with sound, minus some pickup fuzz noise, but htat I feel is expected from a base guitar like this. I have it hooke up through a Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion guitar pedal and a Peavey 30 watt amp, and sometimes a crate 15 watt amp. The sound is fine for what I play. There is a pretty nice variety of sound coming from this guitar and it's 5 choices of pickups. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Its a beautiful looking guitar, not as finished as a regular Stratocaster, but it is enough to make it beautiful. The only problem that I had with this guitar is behind the plastic string cover on the back, there were extra drill holes, but I think that was a mistake at the factory with only my guitar and not with others. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well I've had it for 2 years and it has been through alot with me. The only thing that is wearing is the finish, but thats only my fault from the pick strokes and struming. // 10

Overall Impression: This is only a begginers guitar, and if I had it stolen, I would probably upgrade to the real Stratocaster instead of this squire model. // 9

Standard Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 31, 2005

Purchased from: Gift

Features: This guitar was made in 2003, came with cheap gig bag and strap, and Standard Strat accoutrements, 3 single coils, 5-way switching, and a nice 21 fret neck, the volume control works nice but the tones only work pushed almost all the way one way or the other. // 8

Sound: I play punk and blues mostly, the single coils give a nice bright sound for "grungy" punk as well as of course a decent classic blues sound (more SRV than muddy waters). The pickups are alright and will be replaced when I customize it but are in general good, and hum cancel in pos2/4. I play with a 15 watt Behringer and Danelectro distortion and even at high gain the guitar is way quieter than many Fender Strats I've played. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Awesome action, everything is really good (ESP by Fender Standards). // 10

Reliability & Durability: Live - it has and will, I havn't gigged but during band practice I'm still pretty brutal. Hardware - maybe, pots are crap and due to taste I'll repalce the tuners but other than that its really good. Strap buttons - we don't need no shtinking buttons! I was introduced to DiMarzio cliplocks early and will never go back so I don't know squat about strap buttons. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is a good match for my blues/punk, I play through a behringer amp with Danelectro overdrive and also own a Telecaster and actually like this better because of its greater variety of tones. If stolen I'd def. buy another, the price can't be beat. I love the surprisingly stable whammy bar, but hate the pots. I got this guitar as a present and really did no comparisons, but I really wish it had hot rails in the bridge position! // 8

Standard Strat Reviewed by: Abnormal_Omish, on november 24, 2005

Sound: I upgraded mine with Fender Mex Strat single coils. Very little difference in sound. I play it through a Line 6 Spider 2 30watt. Very nice clean sound on the neck. Don't seem that powerful though and comes through kinda muddy on distortion. Do not buy if you are looking for a metal guitar. Can handle classic rock and blues. It does buzz like a b--ch. The bridge pickup is also awful under any distortion. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup when I bought it was pretty nice. Came with medium action but I just lowered it. The finish seems kinda thin but it is one of few guitars where you wont need strap locks. It is a real pretty guitar though and is nearly as good as a Fender mex for at least 100pounds less. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Would stand live clean playing, or maybe some distortion. If you had crap loads of gain on though the feedback would pop some heads so I don't recomend playing Trivium or Megadeth on it. Real nice smooth clean tone though and sounds beautiful with a little crunch through a Marshall. // 9

Overall Impression: I play loads of different stuff and this guitar can handle anythin apart from heavy metal. You could give it some meaty humbuckers but than again you might aswel stay away from a Strat all together if you want to be playing through a stack with full Drive on the distortion. I would buy it again if I lost it its very reliable and feels nice on the fingers. You might want to give it more springs for the tremelo if your using a heavy gauge though. // 8

Standard Strat Reviewed by: Cal UK, on april 10, 2006

Features: This is your basic Strat style 3 controls (two tone one volume) five way pickup selector non locking bridge. It does the job as a starter guitar seems pretty reliable. This guitar also came with an OK Squier amp and a cheap lead. I have now upgraded the amp to the Marshall MG30DFX. A case was also included. I did not fit strap locks as the strap buttons seemed fine when I used a good quality strap. // 7

Sound: I have very varied music tastes (classic rock, metal, blues, Indie, shred) and this guitar seems to be able to match them well. I use a Zoom 606 multi FX unit and when thats combined with the effects on my amp it sounds great. The guitar does have a little buzz at high gain around 9 but thats normal for single coils. The pickups all sound different; the bridge is very trebly and bright and I need to dial in more bass on my amp when I use it. The middle pickup is a good balance of bass and treble. The neck pickup is nice and deep I use it the most for soloing etc. The inbetween pickup positions (neck and middle, bridge and middle) are helpful because they sound a little different to the middle but not too bassy or bright. A decent versatile guitar which sounds OK for the price. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar seemed to come out of the factory OK the action was high but it was my first guitar and Id never played any others and didnt want to go fiddling with things I knew nothing about. Later on I did lower the action though it feels way better. Everything seemed to be in working order but it needed the tuning of a lifetime when I got it went in and out of tune constantly. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar will withstand live playing it seems pretty robust and the hardware is of a good quality. The strap buttons are solid my good quality strap has only fallen off once in a year and I was sat down anyway. I would not gig without a backup you never know when your going to break a string. Overall seems pretty tough. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for a year and a couple of months and this guitar does me well. It seems to be pretty well made for the money. If it were lost/stolen I would buy a Fender Telecaster they're brilliant guitars I'm after one now in fact. I chose this because it looked good on the website and for the price I'm happy with my choice. It matches my styles of music (see above) pretty well I'm pleased with it. // 8

Standard Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 18, 2006

Purchased from: CONNcert Music World

Features: This guitar was made in 2005 in Indonesia by the Squier-Fender company there, and it came with a gig bad and a cable. The fretboard is rosewood and I believe that the body itself is maple, with a transparent sunburst finish. It has the general Strat cutaway, which allows for high-note access, as well as a five way pickup selector for combinations of up to two of the three pickups at once. // 5

Sound: In my style of playing, I dabble around in everything to some degree, whether it's rock, jazz, or bluegrass, and the Stratocaster is one of the most versatile electrics around. I have a Line 6 Spider 2 amp with built-in effects and distortion, and the Strat makes good use of those effects. I've had one problem though, which is the buzzing it creates on the amp when plugged in, though I'm not sure if that's a problem in the guitar or amp, though it stops when you begin playing. The pickup selector allow to choose a bright or mellow sound to compliment whatever genre you play. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first recieved the guitar, it was in good shape; no dings or missing parts. The solid wood neck is very smooth and makes for quickness, unlike some finished guitars, which tend to slow me down a bit. The only flaws are really in the appearance, because at some patterns in the wood are slightly distorted, but it doesn't affect the playing and it doesn't stand out dramatically. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I'd say that his guitar could withstand live playing, but a lot of folks would be ashamed playing a Squier on stage. Again, I recommend it for starting musicians on a budget. The hardware has lasted me for about a year, and I can't tell any difference in the playing over that time. Strap buttons were, and still are in good shape. The finish has also lasted, and I've never had any of it scratched off, although I'm not the gentlest person with my guitar. // 6

Overall Impression: I think it's a good guitar for any beginner, really, regardless of your style. I've been playing for about three years, and I also own an Epiphone Les Paul that I occasionally play, though I prefer the Strat on stage, because it is lighter than the Paul, though both fit well in any genre. If I lost this guitar, I doubt I'd buy another one, because I have a back-up guitar already, and would likely buy a higher quality. My favorite feature would have to be the pickups, which give your sound the harshness of metal or the mellow tones you'd expect in blues. // 7

Standard Strat Reviewed by: chaoticgeek, on march 12, 2007

Purchased from: Peeler Music

Features: It was made in 2005 in Indonesia I think. 22 frets, rosewood fretboard, they have maple too. Mine is a special model though. It is a Antique Burst color with a tortoise, 5-ply shell pickgaurd. It is like a Standard Strat, 5-way pickup, 1 volume, 2 tone, etc. I gave it an 8 because many people like my guitar that are far more experienced than I am. // 8

Sound: I run it through a Roland 20X Cube amp and it has great sounds. The only time it really hums is when I'm right next to my computer looking something up with full volume for both guitar and amp. But since I'm living in a dorm room I don't do that too often. I like to try to play a lot of stuff. Jimi Hendrix style to 80's hair bands and classic rock to new stuff like FOB and Afi type of music. I can get a wide range of sounds from both the guitar and the amp. 8 because my friend Who is pretty good at guitar loves my setup and found the perfect sound on both of them to play pretty much anything that is not metal. Wish I would have not changed the settings on it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It's factory setup is nice, I have yet to adjust anything after about a month and a half, I should look into getting a setup so I know everything is still good. The finish is awesome. The paint job is great, it is a redish brown burst that just looks awesome. Looks wise I was sold once I saw the rosewood fretboard, I don't like how the maple fretboard looked with this paint job. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Never tried to gig with this guitar, but it is solid. I don't have the strap problems everyone else has though. With cleaning and care I think the finish will survive quite a long time. I don't know what else to say about it, I love the paint job and other people do too. // 8

Overall Impression: I love my guitar, although I'd like to see what it would look like with a black pickgaurd or a deep red one. I compared this with an Ibanez in the same price range, 200 USD and I still liked it better. And a Telecaster style guitar, but I don't like that style so I did not get it. My mom would kill me if it was lost/stolen/broken because it was an early birthday present. Plus the fact that I love this finish I would probably beat the crap out of Who ever stole it. // 8

Standard Strat Reviewed by: squire_punk666, on december 17, 2007

Features: My Guitar is a 22-fret Squire by Fender Stratocaster. It has 3 singlecoil pickups, a master volume and 2 tone switchers, 5-way selector. Features on some squires also include a tremelo bar too. It was made in the last '90s in Japan, hence it being a Squire. // 6

Sound: The sound is crisp and has a good tone for band-practising and small social gigs. This guitar is great when being used to practise, a 15W Ibanez or similar Amp will enhance your performance, expecially when your overdrive function is on, you bass is near maxed out and half your treble is halfway. By my opinion and a few other players of Squire, they say it appeals to a rock or grunge background, some even said thrash metal. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: From what I've seen the guitar is in top knick, the pickups were adjusted correctly and too a certain extent. There has been a few slight occasions when the pickup selecter has made a rattling sound but that was taken care of. The guitars finish was satin, its action was good and the saddle was fit pretty much perfectly. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can be used for stage performanes, but the genre you or your band plays depends. So far the hardwear is still in good condition and it still has a lot of playing til I'm going to need to think about a replacement. The strap buttons are solid and reliable, as once when I was performing I hurled it around my waist and over my back to see my guitar was still attached. I would say you don't need a backup but if you play songs that become heavier or more metal-like, bring another. // 8

Overall Impression: I play for a post-hardcore band, we tend to play softer songs when playing Live though. Squires have been depended on from my band for 3 years now and yet I still have my stage Squire from 3 years ago. I picked up the guitar about 5 and a half years ago, I originally played drums but soon got bored of sitting behind and at the back of the stage and wanted to be more 'out there'. I have had my practise Squire stolen but I retreived it after a few months.One of my bandmates lent me a Ibanez but I just didn't feel comfortable playing live with it. I love Squires as they are affordable, reliable and they sound good too. My favourite feature is the tremelo bar, I use it in about 8 or 9 songs I play. Ibanez make strats of the same shape but I believe Squires have their own unique sound. The one thing I wish Squires had were a spikey cut-out. It'd suit my look. // 8

Standard Strat Reviewed by: Squall.exe, on april 07, 2008

Features: The Squier Standard Stratocaster is the cheaper version of the Fender Stratocaster. It comes with 21 frets, a satin finish (Mine is metallic black) and a Standard Fender Tremolo unit. All three pickups are single-coil Fender Standard, and it has a five way Switch to choose between them. The body is made out of Absinthe and the neck is maple, with a rosewood fretboard. It has a C-shape neck for a natural fit for your hand and two silver strap buttons. It has the three Standard controls: two tone, one volume; a non-locking tuner. It came with two extra springs for the tremolo unit and the proper tools to adjust the truss rod. // 9

Sound: The guitar suits my playing style well. I play anything from the Animal's House of the Rising Sun to Muse's Plug in Baby, and the pickups provide clear sound for any distortion. I play it through a Line 6 Spider III amp, and a Boss Blues Driver. With the Blues driver it can cause feedback, but the noise gate in the amp eliminates the extra sound. It has a clear, bright sound, but it doesn't pick up tapping so well, mainly because the action on the guitar is a little high. Nothing too hard to fix anyway. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a little high for hammer ons, pull offs, and tapping, but not so high that it impeded playing. The pickups are set just fine, and all the pieces were set in place. No issues with bad hardware. It didn't contain any flaws at all, and the bridge works just fine. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've used it for several months through constant playing, and it seems well enough to stand Live playing. The hardware is well-constructed, and very reliable. The strap buttons fit amazingly. I replaced the buttons, but one of the buttons would not stay, so I put the original one back in, and there's no problem at all. I would use this guitar with a backup in a gig, but I wouldn't expect to use it. The finish has not diminished at all. // 10

Overall Impression: It fits my music well (Animals to Muse to Led Zeppelin) and sounds better than a lot of my friend's gear. I really don't think there was anything I needed when I got it, so it doesn't really need anything else. If it were stolen, I would probably buy it again. I compared it to a Epiphone Les Paul of some sort, and the sound is much better. I love the fact that it fits my hand and body perfectly and don't really hate anything about it. // 10

Standard Strat Reviewed by: eddY888, on october 16, 2008

Purchased from: My friend

Features: No idea when it was made. 21 frets, normal old frets... Cherry red finish. Active pickups. there's 1 volume knob and 2 tone knobs [that are extremely loose but can be fixed]. Um idk the pickups. Nonlocking tuners. The guy gave me a case [that is ripping itself apart because it can't handle the stress of the guitar it was built for] and a Fender Frontman 15G Amp, which kinda sucks. // 4

Sound: I play metal. This guitar is not metal. I play it straight through the Fender Frontman 15G Amp with on-amp distortion. The distortion is ok but there's like no bass to it at all unless I hook it up to my sound system. It's noisy on the first pickup selection, 3rd, and last. even on the 2nd and 4th it's noisy but then I just turn the tone down and the buzz goes away. The guitar can make the noisy sound, the crappy tone sound, the really heavy distortion sound, the melodic death solo sound. I can pretty much make any sound I want to. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Well idk how it was setup at the factory because the guy Who had it before me probably screwed it up. But I know how to set up this type of guitar and even when I set it up the action is really high. but the pickups are adjusted pretty well now. there's about 10 dents in the finish and you can feel them..but I made the biggest one. my b. IDK WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE BRIDGE AND TUNERS but this thing wont stay in tune if you even touch the whammy bar when it's in. otherwise it stays perfectly in tune. It feels like if I run it into something it will break into a million pieces. // 2

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will not withstand Live playing. At all. The hardware sucks. um... my strap has fallen off at least twice while I was playing in the past month. I would never use this at a gig. // 2

Overall Impression: I listen to metal. like I said, this guitar is not metal. but I make it work. I've been playing for almost 2 years... but I can play the Children Of Bodom - Downfall solo just fine on any guitar, even this horrible one. so don't think I'm writing a review as an inexperienced player. If it were stolen or lost I'd say hallelujia and go buy an ESP or Jackson V with a Floyd Rose and get EMG pickups. I like the red finish, the fact that it stays in tune[unless you use the whammy bar]. I hate everything else lol. It's been a good guitar to me though so I will have to give it that... I just don't have the money right now for a Jackson RR3 Rhoads right now:S. I wish it had a Floyd Rose and Locking Tuners... and EMG pickups..but that's about it. and I wish it was possible to get any lower action with 11 gauge strings. // 6

Standard Strat Reviewed by: jeffo46, on august 02, 2011

Features: Mine is a 2008 model which was made in Indonesia. It has a Agathis body with a Maple neck and fretboard, along with 22 frets and Squier Standard Tuners. The pickups are Alnico Single coils and the Bridge is a 2 point with modern style Bridge saddles which are a lot easier on my hand and don't tear into it, unlike Vintage style ones. It has a 3 way pup Switch and 1 Volume and 2 Tone controls. The color of mine is Metallic Black, which looks pretty cool with the Maple fretboard. // 10

Sound: The first thing I did when I got this was to shield the body cavity with some Aluminum tape, after which I put in a 022 capacitor on both of the tone pots. After that, I did a full setup and changed the string guage to 10's which gave it a fuller tone. The stock alnicos are quite good and are capable of handling any genre from Metal to Blues. I'm playing this through a Crate GX-65 and a DigiTech RP-50 and the results are astonishing. I am however, considering getting a Fender Mustang III combo, to go with this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this in a trade from a high school kid, and it was obvious that he didn't really take care of it. Once I got done with it, I was able to restore it and have it look like it just came off the assembly line. The neck on this guitar is really fast and has perfectly rolled fret edges. None of the fret buzz or fret edges sticking out, which I've heard a lot about from some of the Squier haters. The Agathis body has some weight to it, which gives it a really nice tone IMO. I'm sure that this would last a lifetime given the proper care. I really like this guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've already used this at one gig as the only guitar and it held up very well. IMO, it's just as good as a MIM Fender Standard Strat with the only difference being the pickups and the bridge, along with the large headstock design. I don't see any need to modify the stock pickups at all on this axe. It's fine just the way it is as far as I'm concerned. I'm really happy with it. // 10

Overall Impression: I got rid of a ESP LTD M-15 in order to get this, and I'm glad that I did. It was a worthwhile deal. If you can't afford the price for a MIM Fender Standard Strat or a Squier Classic Vibe, then for $230.00, this is the next best thing and well worth it. Just make sure that you have a proper setup done, as you would with any new guitar, and you won't regret it. Squier has IMO, upped their game in the last couple of years and, this guitar is proof why. // 10

Standard Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 14, 2011

Features: My Squier Strat is a 2004 crafted in China. It's a really nice sunburst with a tortoise shell pickguard and a 22 fret rosewood fingerboard. The Sunburst finish really is brilliant because you can see the wood underneath unlike some other sunburst guitars. It's got what I believe are Alnico or maybe even Squier branded pickups which sound good. I had a Seymour Duncan JB put in the bridge position to suit my style more. // 9

Sound: I use a Marshall MG15DFX with an EHX Small clone, EHX big muff and a Boss DS-1 Distortion running through it. As I say, it has a Duncan JB in the bridge pickup because I play mostly rock and with single coils it didn't do the trick. It really does sound fantastic with the JB and also the single coils in the middle and neck positions. You get good cleans, which is what Fender/Squier are famous for and also some really nice distortion/overdrive tones. Overall some real nice sounds from this guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I had mine set up at the shop with the action lowered, truss rod adjusted etc. You can really tell it is well made which I've found with all Squiers I've played, even the cheaper beginner's ones. Everything is nicely done and the neck action is perfect- you can move around so easily on it. Just brilliantly put together. As for hardware. The tuners keep the guitar in tune but obviously with a tremolo as well the guitar can slip slightly out, but it's not really a big problem. All the controls and selectors haven't come off or buzz so that sort of stuff is good. The tremolo most of the time keeps the guitar in tune but every now again it goes slightly out, but with the good tuners on board it's not even too noticeable. Really well made guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Fenders/Squiers are probably some of the most robust guitars you can buy. People have and play Fenders for years and nothing really goes wrong. If you've seen Kurt Cobain from Nirvana just throw a Fender Strat across the stage, most of the time it will still be in one piece and even from being thrown into a drum kit or into an amp is still perfectly playable. If I gigged I wouldn't have a problem with taking it at all. Fender and Squier models just have the reputation for being really reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for just over 2 years now and for Nirvana which is what I play most of the time is a perfect match. It is so reliable-everything is so solid on it. It's a brilliant looking guitar and I'd never sell it. If it were stolen, I'd get another one or a Tele. Just brilliant sound and looks. // 10

Standard Strat Reviewed by: Ausbrett23, on august 28, 2012

Features: I purchased the guitar in one of those cheep deluxe starter packs. So the guitar came with the following: - Strap - Small Amp - Gig Bag - 2 Packages of strings (Ernie Ball Regular Slinky) - And a small 5 foot amp cable. It is a solid body Strat with a maple wood finish. There are 21 frets. It has a String-Thru Body bridge with 3 single pickups like on the usual Stratocasters. It has a 3-way control with 1 volume knob and 2 tone knobs. // 8

Sound: The music style I play involves artists who used a Strat to record some of these songs. Of course they were using the real Fender Strat's and not Squire's, but they sound close enough. The only thing I am not liking is the fact that when I plug it in and I want to play it on clean I have to turn up my clean setting on my amp 1 point more than what I would usually have it set on for my Epiphone G-400. I don't have any effects but at least I have an amp. I use a Peavey Rage 158. I sold the amp that came in the package with the Strat. It does have a Full sound most of the time. I have all the guitar settings set at 10, the amp on clean at 3, and the Lead (Distortion) settings on 2 for both Post and Pre Gain. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The Guitar wasn't perfectly set up and very few flaws were found. Let's start with the body of the guitar. Pickgaurd was a full pickgaurd with no flaws. All 3 knobs were there. The guitar was supposed to come with a whammy bar, but the bridge was whammy bar free. The pickups were perfectly adjusted, but the pickup selector was missing its cover. Now to the neck and action. The action wasn't set too high or too low. The tuning pegs were coming loose. And nothing was rustedexcept the strings that were on the Guitar itself. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is able to withstand live play and I can depend on it to use "AS" a backup. But I would never play a gig with it without a backup. Whenever I am in the middle of the song "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", a little before the end of the first guitar solo, this Stratocaster comes completely out of tune. The strap buttons are solid and the finish hasn't even started to wear off and I have had this thing for over 7 years. // 7

Overall Impression: I mainly play Rock music like The Beatles, Aerosmith, Eric Clapton, Guns N' Roses, etc. And I have seen a lot of live concerts in person and on YouTube and in almost every concert I see every guitarist on stage pull out a Fender Stratocaster so I'm glad to have something like the ones they use. If there was one thing I should have asked before I bought this Strat, it would have been, "Can I see the actual guitar out of the box first?" Because there were so many little things wrong with it. If it were lost or stolen I would save up the money and buy an original Stratocaster by Fender not by Squire. There is only 1 guitar I compared it too and that was a Fender Stratocaster. I asked what the difference was and he didn't know so I bought the cheapest one. // 8

Standard Strat Reviewed by: SteveArmourae, on august 25, 2014

Features: One of the guitars in one of the studios I've worked at. A standard well known name for a budget guitar often purchased by those starting out on the electric guitar. When something is ubiquitous its easy to dismiss the object, blaming its popularity on the public's lack of knowledge. But this guitar is popular because it has proven itself to deliver enough quality for its lower price. The Squier consists of the usual stratocaster body with the three single coil pickups. Two tone knobs and a volume knob alongside a 5 way pickup selection switch. The common maple wood neck with an overlaid rosewood fretboard. The frets are the medium to large style as would be expected on a less expensive guitar. // 7

Sound: One of the aspects of a guitar that determines how much you will pay is the quality of the coils. You can pay a thousand dollars for one coil.
Those type of coils are either vintage (same with valve microphone) or coils with very dense magnetic fields and produce a sound associated with high end Gibson, Ibanez or Jackson guitars.

Again with so many guitars in this price range their isn't much bass formant with these guitars: no deep or rich bottom to the sound. They are set to a mid range tone, we could call it "beige." Nothing terrible but nothing exciting either. It's sound designed to appeal to the largest demographic of guitar players; those who want to play pop or commercial music. An alien lot that I have never understood but this is a guitar that will suit their inoffensiveness corporate pop sound. Except it's very offensive to those who want a blood and guts or passionate sound and don't get radio play because there's a load of Squier playing bands taking up the time.

It has a 5 way pole switch which is a welcome addition. Giving 5 options of sound and with a matchstick you can get 2 poles on at the same time to blend sounds too. Many guitars don't have as many 5 options, something I have berated my much loved Ibanez Roadstar II for lacking. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The passive electrics on this guitar are very simple. 3 coils wired to 3 variable resistors, the pots, then to 0.02 micro Farad capacitor linked to the jack socket. So the capacitor is going to be a standard electronics supply and not the high quality audio capacitor, hence sound quality will be of a lower standard. Although cheaply made the guitars metallic and electrical work are of sufficient quality to withstand years of use. The one in the studio has no jack problems in terms of loosening or noise when plugged in. Screws are showing no rust. Nothing is oxidised. Same can't be said of my Aria Pro II at home which has been used far less.

I don't think of strings and Fender and certainly the strings that come with these guitars can be taken off and thrown away or used to garrote the singer when he's being a prima donna. Replace the strings with almost any brand will be an improvement. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The polyurethane finish on the body of the guitar is designed to withstand playing demands and the pressures of traveling. Certainly these plastic style finishes are less vulnerable than a wooden outer layer. Having what feels to be a thicker neck makes the guitar more sturdy. I've found on ,more expensive guitars that the necks feel narrower. The finish they've added to the guitar wears well. Everyone's seen this guitar and they always seem to be in pretty good condition so the wooden body is equally sturdy. // 9

Overall Impression: A standard guitar, in a generic style but with a quality above its averageness and superior to its competitors in the same class. That has given this guitar its longevity and its popularity. It's not a guitar for serious musicianship, others may disagree are these guitars are often used by professional cover bands when they do hired gigs. Their job is mainly to play in the background or to provide dance music as opposed to having the audience focus on them.

If you can afford a more expensive first guitar or like me get many of my instruments from second hand dealers and sites like Ebay you will find a better guitar. This is a guitar for the pop and soft rock outfits, like many cheaper strats it's not a metal guitar. // 6

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Vintage Modified Telecaster Custom 6.8 Electric Guitars 10/28/2014