Starter Kit Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 01/15/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Squier: Starter Kit
Made in China, 21 frets with volume and two tone knobs. 5 way switch does some difference between pickups but not alot. 3 single coil pickups.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.8
 Features: 7.5
 5.5
 7.5
 3.4
reviews (6) pictures (2) 14 comments vote for this gear:
Starter Kit Reviewed by: JPaul17, on may 12, 2004

Purchased from: Sight and Sound Audiotronic

Features: Made in China, 21 frets with volume and two tone knobs. 5 way Switch does some difference between pickups but not alot. 3 single coil pickups. White pickguard and black body. Strap holders on bottom and top left. Comes with black pocketless gig bag, squire tuner, SP-10 10 watt amp, whammy bar, 5 Fender picks, and strap. The stuff it comes with is a bargain, and is great for beginners. Pulloffs are a bit harder to play, but otherwise its fine. // 6

Sound: Good for any playing style, but some of the harder manuevers are near to impossible to do. The pickups are mediocre, and the strings supplied aren't anything special. The tone knobs do next to nothing, and the pickup Switch has little effect. Stays in tune for a long time though, unless you use the whammy bar. The amp is a small practice amp, at 10 watts it can almost make my windows rattle. There is bad distortion once all dials are at 10, and the distortion is a button. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: I found no flaws on this guitar, save that the nut holding the wire to the amp sometimes comes loose. // 8

Reliability & Durability: After about 6 months of constant daily use this guitar is still in the same shape as it was when purchased. the amp as well. I would reccommend changing the strings that come with it, since they arent that great. A locking strap would be the best bet, but the strap buttons are dependable if not. I wouldnt use it in a gig without a backup, or in a gig at all, because it just doesnt compete with the better models for sound. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal and a little rock, and this guitar can keep up with most of the stuff I play. Soloing isnt easy on this guitar, since the pickups and frets arent that great. I chose this one because it was in my price range, and had an amp. had i more money, i would have gotten a better guitar. // 6

Starter Kit Reviewed by: dewthedew2323, on october 01, 2005

Features: Well this piece of art, bad art, but art was crafted in Indonesia, has 22 frets, 5-way pickup selector Switch, 3 single coil pickups, a volume knob, and 2 tone knobs. The amp, Fender Frontman 15G, is really and purely a beginners amp. That's what it is made for so I won't bash it too much, and because it got me through my first year and a half or so of playing. It has 2 channels, clean and gain. Gain is really not a good thing with this amp but once again I loved it when I was just learning. This pack comes with the guitar, amp, cable, and strap etc. Everything you need to get started playing. // 6

Sound: Well at the time I bought it was just getting into guitar and had no "style" so to say. Now I play hard rock, a little metal, and bluesish stuff. I still use my Squier Strat but the Frontman hasn't been touched for a very long time. The pickup configurations are quite messy. In a sense that its very hard to find a satisfying sound. But it does contain some! The amp suits a beginner well, but doesnt Shine in any areas and lacks some in just pure quality. The cable is a piece of crap and I suggest replacing it as soon as possible. Broke on me pretty fast. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was pretty crappy, there are deffinately better Squiers. The neck was a little offset and the knobs came offset too. Some of the knobs take more force than others to turn and get stuck often, which is a pain. The amp I saw no problems with and it came just how it should have. There were some minor flaws but overall I guess it came decent for a packaged starter pack. // 6

Reliability & Durability: To play live? Or not to play live? Sure! But never without a backup. If you had a backup though chances are its better than this. The strap buttons both fell out and stripped the screw holes and I had to take it into the shop. Its not very dependable. The finish is fine, if your worried about the finish on this guitar then you shouldnt play live anyway. This'll get pretty dinged up but its ok. It's a cheapy. // 6

Overall Impression: I would personally get a totally different set up if I knew what I know now way back when. This pack served its purpose, but did not excell at all where others can for the same price. I would now recomend this for a new guitarist nor an experienced one. And if it were taken or lost I would not replace it. // 5

Starter Kit Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 12, 2005

Features: 15 watt Frontman amp, 21-fret Strat, tuner, gig bag, picks, strap, book, cable, and a replacement spring & strings. This package comes with everything you need to begin playing guitar, but it sure has no frills. The Frontman amp is great for beginning players but if used with the supplied guitar it will sound rather flat. The gain on the amp is horrific and makes more fuzz and noise than crunch. I had to return my first Frontman after it died for no reason but the second Frontman I own works like it should; hardly. The guitar itself is a fairly good basic instrument. If you are using what comes in the package and not planning to add anything to it, you'll get a brite, noisy instrument. In fact, the pickups in the guitar are so bland that if you don't change atleast the bridge you'll be left dissapointed if you ever rise above the title of beginner. An overall very passive sound, but for the price, what more could you ask? // 5

Sound: I've gotten quite a bit more experienced than when I first got the set. I decided to have some fun with the Strat and installed Seymour Duncan "Hotrails" in the bridge, put on GHS Boomers and now D'Adario 11 Gauge strings, and then spruced up the apperance with a pearloid pick guard and a fancy art strap. The guitar after these modifications sounds and looks excellent. Before these modifications though, the guitar is passive and very "low powered." A trill or hammer on is virtually impossible even with the amp and guitar at maximum volume. Any form of distortion on the bland single-coil's sounds terrifying and muddy; nothing cuts through the fuzz. The guitar with the supplied pickups and strings can play little more than "Smoke On The Water" and sound acceptable. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar out of the box was acceptable. The neck wasn't too bad. The action was a little bit high but when you're first starting you probably won't even know what the action is or that it is badly adjusted. The strings out of the box were crap to begin with, as they were Fender bullets and broke after a few weeks. An issue I had and only recently fixed was that the screw holes holding in the plate over the jack were worn out and it was constantly loose. The tuning pegs work great but when the strings are off the guitar they get very loose. The Pickup selector is noisy and sometimes "clicks" when you're switching through it although single coils hum anyway. // 5

Reliability & Durability: The guitar now, after I fixed a few things, got a locking washer, replaced the pick guard and bridge pickup, and keep it well maintained, clean, and polished holds up great. It's durable and doesn't have a scratch on it other than a bit of wear on the finish where my elbow is near when playing. The strap buttons are solid but sometimes come loose and have to be tightened with a screwdriver. Because it's my only guitar at the moment I would not do a gig with it other than playing for friends, simply because although it is dependable it would be risky. The hardware and wiring inside is a bit shotty and covered in sawdust. The wires to one of my knobs/pots is partially broken for no apparent reason, making my tone knobs do close to nothing. The finish is fine although can be easily scratched and worn, therefore you need to take extra good care of the guitar if you want to maintain it's appearance. // 7

Overall Impression: I play all types of music. With the guitar out of the box and without the modifications I have put on it, it is not good for all types of music. The only music you're going to be playing with skill is Mary Had a Little Lamb. I have been playing for going on two years now and I'm only now deciding that its time to get some more gear. I'll probably get a better Fender or Squier guitar and amp but I'll keep the Strat in this pack along with it. If the guitar and amp out of the package was stolen or lost I wouldn't bother and would try something else instead. If my guitar as it is modded today was stolen I would be angry and want it again. I don't have any favorite features with this package, it's all just OK. For the price and what it comes with, you can't complain, though. If there was one thing more this guitar should have is a bigger sound and richer tone. // 6

Starter Kit Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 11, 2011

Price paid: C$ 75

Features: Not sure what year it was made, but says behind the headstock, crafted in China. There is a serial number on it. CXS 110803251. I believe the body is Agathis wood (solid, not ply) with a maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. It has 21 regular frets, reasonably well finished (not drawing blood). It's finished in polyurethane Hi Gloss Black with a pearl white pick guard. It has a synchronous tremelo system, regular Stratocaster body shape, with 3 single coil pups and two tone pots and a volume pot. It comes with sealed tuners of unknown origin. It came with a small practice amp, SP 10, strap, tuner, cables etc. // 10

Sound: I have been playing for over 35 years, in many styles from prog rock, to experimental and fusion, and is the first Strat I've ever used, had Telecasters, Gibsons, Gretsch, four different Ibanez models. This is as suitable as any I've had. My guitar rig consists of a Zoom G9-2TT, Zoom G1 (in effects loop mode) and a Boss DD20 gigadelay, through a Roland Cube 60 amp. It is a single coil configuration so can pick up RF and electrical noise, but it's not overwhelmingingly so. It has all the tones one would expect from a Strat, is very versatile in that department. The pots seem to be very responsive over a wide range, and the 5 position selector Switch really does change tones drastically. This is a good thing. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought this (used from a friend) the action was too high, and the tremelo would not lay flat, making the trem useless. I put lighter strings on (09-42) added two more springs for tension, lowered the saddles and it was a different beast. The pickups needed to be brought closer to the strings, no probs. The finish is just fine, and I have to say, the fit is amazingly good, better than some instruments costing 3-4 times as much. Materials seem solid, not sure about the Bridge material, probably stamped metal, but it works just fine. Intonation adjustment was very easy, and holds well. The knobs seem well seated, not coming loose at all. No buzz or clicks from the selector switch. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have not gigged with this yet, but will next week. I'll take my Ibanez SA 120 as a backup, as I want to put this one through its' paces before saying I'll rely on it. The hardware seems to be just fine, can't see any obvious limitations. The strap is staying on the buttons, haven't dropped it yet. The finish looks bulletproof. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm in a jazz fusion band presently, I think a Strat is acceptable, can't see why not. I have been playing for over 35 years, and have three other guitars, all Ibanez, an ICX 120, SA 120 and S 470. If it were stolen, I would probably look for another, or go up a couple of grades with Squier. This guitar plays like butter, very smooth, fast neck (C shape) it's well balanced and the tones are great. I know it's classed as a beginner's guitar, but with some care and attention to set up, you will have a perfectly playable instrument, for very little cash outlay. // 10

Starter Kit Reviewed by: jojox11x11x11, on november 11, 2008

Features: I bought This at guitar center as my first electric guitar. It's a great deal for the price. The guitar has a volume control and two tone controls. At first, the strings didn't get tuned that well, but that usually happens to new strings. It came with everything you needed to get started, case, strap, GUITAR, AMP, cable, tuner(no batteries though) and much more. If you want a good beginer guitar and looking to save money, get this. // 9

Sound: Okay, the sound is O.K. it's not horrible and it's not the best. it's GOOD. The amp can get really loud if you want it to, or if everyone's sleeping you can make it realy quiet. On the amp, you can make it distortion or clean. I have to admit, if you put it on distortion and palm power chords, it sounds great! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first saw the price, I really did think this was a cheap fake guitar. But it's made by Fender, and turned out to be really good quality. No scratches or flaws when I got it. It works really well, and it's really easy to use. it's not Fender, but made by Fender and is Fender quiality. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will last a while depending on how you take care of it. I had mine for about two weeks and it looks like it came out from the box new. The strap never fell off, but I suggeset not to use that, because I heard it gets off easily. If your a complete beginer with little or no experience for two months or less, get this. If youve been playing for a couple months, don't get this, you will want a more Gibson looking guitar and one that would last way longer... // 9

Overall Impression: I play different types of music and this guitar has helped me a lot especialy with rock music. I have been playing for about 5 months and got this two weeks ago. I like the design, the sound, the price and mostly everything. if it got lost or stolen, well, I got the two year warranty. you can check it out here. Hope this helps and I have the black one. // 9

Starter Kit Reviewed by: hey896, on january 15, 2013

Features: This Starter Kit contains an Squire Fender Strat, with cables for the electric guitar to the amp and another one from the amp to the wall. Also comes with a Fender tuner, quit a few picks (mostly 1mm), a starter CD, strap and instructions for the amp. The amp is a 15G Fender. It also comes with a Fender case bag. This guitar was made in Indonesia and I'm assuming everything else was too. This guitar had 22 frets and the neck is maple and thin, so it's good for when you have to reach. The neck is maple and the fret board is rosewood. It's hard to tell what kind of wood the body is, but it has a gloss finish and a white pick board. The guitar also has a volume control and two tone controls and a 5-way selector. // 9

Sound: Now, I play pop/rock and rock and alternative. It sounds pretty good with the songs I play but it does have a lot of interference. I am using my Zoom G1. It's hard to get it to the right level and the right volume to get it to sound good. I probably screwed around with it for about 10 minutes before I had the right setting on. In the end, it sounded pretty good. It has a nice clean sound to it (other than the noise interference) and a smooth sound as well. I was using the amp that had come with the guitar which is 15G by Fender. There is a bit of variety that the guitar can make, you got to pretty much screw around with the amp settings and the guitar tones and 5-way selector to get the different sounds. What I did was turn up both my tones and kept my volume down low and messed with the settings on the amp, because, really, that's where your going to get the most out of the sound. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar has a pretty good set up. There was nothing wrong with it when I got it and nothing wrong with it now. I played a sole and some riffs and it was pretty good, nothing wrong and it picked up the sound very well. The action was pretty good. The pickups adjust very well. If I where to strum an C Chord and then switch to the middle pickup, it would switch right away. It does have a properly bookmatched top and a properly routed bridge. One thing that I did notice, and it's this tiny little flaw but no one will know or see unless they played the guitar and was looking right at the fret board; is that there are some scratch marks on the fret board, over on the side, so only the player can see it. The marks are between the the 5th fret and the 12th fret, nothing too big. They are tiny little marks, nothing to worry about but I will be taking a furniture fix marker and fix up the marks. Other than that, it's pretty good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: If I where to play live, I would bring this guitar, maybe as a back up or have a back up for this guitar if I where to play live and this be my main guitar. This guitar is designed by Fender, so yeah, it will probably last a bit of time before it needs to be replaced by another one. I'll say, maybe, a few years at lease and I don't plan on getting another guitar for a few years, so I hope it will last that long. The strap buttons are solid and they should last for as long as the guitar will last, probably longer. The finish is pretty good, it will probably last and not wear off so easy. I mean, I play for about two hours every day and so far, I've banged it up on the wall, on a chair and even on the amp. So far, no marks. So, it should be good for those hardcore players. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said, I play pop/rock, rock and alternative and this guitar seems to go pretty well with what I play, sounds good. I also write my own music and it sounds pretty good with what I want the guitar to do and sound like. I've been playing for two years but I have the skills of a person who has been playing for about two and a half to three years. I don't own any other electric guitars, this is my first but I do own the Zoom G1 and I'm getting a few other pedals from eBay. Before I had gotten this guitar, I have an lead guitar course and I've finished that on electric and that helps get use to your guitar and if I hadn't of had that before I got the guitar, I would definitely want that before I got the guitar. I also had my pedal before I had gotten the guitar and that would be something else I would want before I got the guitar. If this guitar was stolen or lost, I would probably go out and buy another guitar, maybe something a little more expensive, because, if I just lost the guitar, I would still have the amp and pedal, so I would probably go out and buy another guitar, probably equal or more money than what this guitar is worth. There is nothing wrong with this guitar and there is nothing that I can say is great about it either, just that the fret board is what I like. Other than that, this is a great guitar set for those who are just starting in the electric guitar world, kind of gives you everything you need at a low price and it's also good for beginners, because it has everything you need to get started. Pretty good guitar as well and a pretty good amp. If you are looking to get started on electric guitar, this would be the set you're looking for. // 8

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Vintage Modified Telecaster Custom 6.8 Electric Guitars 10/28/2014