Strat Pack Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 01/25/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Squier: Strat Pack
Includes: Squier Affinity Strat guitar, gig bag, Fender Frontman 15G amplifier, electronic tuner, strap, Fender cable, Fender strings, guitar picks, and a Fender instruction book.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.2
 Action, Fit & Finish: 6.9
 Features: 7.1
 6.1
 5.1
reviews (31) pictures (2) 25 comments vote for this gear:
Strat Pack Reviewed by: DesiLover, on march 11, 2004

Features: The Squire Strat Pack comes with a Squire Stratocaster, a Squire amp, a few sets of strings, picks, a strap, a gig bag, a chord,a tuner, and an instructional video. As with all squire brand products, everything is made in China. Guitar: The guitar has a 5-way selector Switch, and 3 tone controlls(volume, bass, and treble). There are 21 frets. The standard tuners are chep, non-locking tuners. The pickups are low quality humbuckers. Amplifier: The amp is a combo, 8" solid state practice amp. Features on the amp include; volume control, bass and treble controlls, an overdrive on/off button, and a headphone out jack. The amp is about 10 watts, not much power, but all you need for practicing in a small room. // 4

Sound: The sound of the guitar and amp in the Strat Pack is poor. But, if you are just beggining, you won't be able to tell the difference. In my opinion, the sound is flat, it just seems like something is missing. The tone is ok. The amp's distortion is decent, but there is no gain controll, so you have to piddle around with the bass and treble controlls to change the gain. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is plain. Nothing special. As far as I could tell, the guitar was decently built. Right out of the box, the guitar seemed pretty standard. However, I have noticed a few loose tuners, but nothing that can't be fixed. // 6

Reliability & Durability: As far as the Durability of the Squire Strat Pack goes, I am pretty disappointed. I have had this product for four years. And so far, some electric hardware inside of the guitar has becomed oxidized, the output jack has become loose and in result, wiring was torn and had to be re-sottered back on. After I had that fixed, I STILL have problems with keeping the signal between my guitar and amp. I have tried different chords, different amps, everything. I haven't had too many problems with the amp. The only real problem that I've ever had with it is that the input jack is stripped, but it still works. I would HIGLY reccomend that you do NOT use this guitar or amp for a gig. 1) The guitar will lose it's signal and 2) The amp just plain isnt' even half as big or loud as it would need to be. // 4

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 4 years. I play classical for my private lessons, and I play 80's metal (black sabbath, AC/DC, Hendrix etc). I own a 25RW Ibanez amp, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, a Washburn 7-string guitar (btw, don't buy a 7-string guitar unless you specifically need 7-strings to play Korn, or Trapt), and an Ibanez Jazz box. Bottom line, THIS GUITAR IS FOR BEGINNERS WHO DON'T KNOW THE DO'S AND DONT'S OF BUYING GUITARS. If you are looking into playing guitar for you're first time, and you need a guitar, this is a great choice. For beginners, it gives you everything that you need. Down the road, you may want to buy a new guitar, and amp. But, for the first 2 or 3 years, that's not necessary. Often times, buying guitars, and guitar gear, can be confusing to new buyers. With this package you can't go wrong. I believe that it has a 1 or 2 year warranty, so, you won't have to worry about going out and paying to fix it right out of the box. Some adjustments may be necessary, but for the most part, the guitar is set up quite nicely for a youngster. So, all in all, this is definitely something to look at for a first timer. // 6

Strat Pack Reviewed by: Scorpions, on june 25, 2004

Features: This was my first guitar. It's a great guitar for a beginner 21 Frets. One volume. 2 tone (don't really do much though). Rosewood fretboard. Came with everything you pretty much need to start playing except for a stand. // 8

Sound: Like I said this is my first guitar. I got it on Memorial day. Been working on a few classic rock songs and it is good. Came with the Frontman 15G (though if I had the money I would have gotten something better). It has a lot of variety. Good sound. Likes? Me likes! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is low, it's really easy to play. Pickups are good. Great finish. Candy apple red color. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'm sure this guitar would withstand live playing. It can withstand some pretty bad playing on my part. It seems like it will last, though the cable that came with the pack will probably wear out after not too long. The finish will last, and the strap buttons are solid, though usually the strap that came with the pack comes off when I pick it up, so I'm very careful with it. If I did gigs I would not rely on this without backup, though it suits me fine. It's good for practice. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I think that everyone should get this when they are going to start on the guitar. I play it all the time. If it were stolen I would hunt down the person who stole it, give the person a paper cut with the Fender Guitar Method book that came with the pack, and take the guitar back. If I had the money I would get another Squire Strat, but only if I didn't have enough money for a Fender Strat. I love the color and the sound. There isn't anything I hate. I do wish it had an effects pedal, but the amp with the pack has two modes. Clean and Drive. If you want a guitar this is a good one, and for the price its great. But if you are a more advanced player, I wouldn't recomend it. // 8

Strat Pack Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 05, 2004

Features: Made in China 2002, 3 single coil pick-ups, 5-way switching system, chrome tuners. Sunburst in colour, with a thin 21 fret maple fingerboard. There are three controls for volume, bass and treble. Non-locking tuners. Fender pickups. Strat style body, with solid top. Included Fender Frontman 15G amplifier, strap, tremolo bar, tuition video and plectrum. // 8

Sound: I pretty much play any style and use the amp that came with it to Switch between distorted and clean. It's a good all round guitar, but I would not recommend it for pros, and not for specific styles. I use a 15G Fender Frontman Amp (supplied) and it has a good variety of sound, from rich and full, to all treble and classical sounds. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The action of the guitar is great, even as a beginner I could hold chords with no buzzing whatsoever. The pickups were well adjusted and the guitar was well built overall. There were no scratches even though it had been pre-owned and every part was properly aligned. However, the lead supplied with the guitar didn't work when I first got it and it took me a couple of months to realise it was the lead and not the guitar. Having said that I have had no problems with it for 10 months, and it is still lasting well to bumps and knocks. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I am not sure about the live playing ability of this guitar, it may be a little too beginner, but the guitar will easily withstand heavy strumming and I havn't broken a string yet! The strap buttons are good, but I did have to buy a new strap as the one supplied from Argos spilt twice. I would use this guitar as a backup at a gig and possilbly the amp too, as it is only 15G.The finish is good and still shiny. This guitar seems to last well. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that the Fender Squier is a good first time beginner guitar, that is very durable and fun to play. The action and sound quality is good overall. I like the variety of styles you can play with it, but it was a little to basic for my liking. Overall tone is good, but again not top notch. If it were stolen, I would probably not buy another Squier, as I am no longer a beginner! I have no been playing for over a year, and would like to purchase an effects pedal to really make some noise! // 8

Strat Pack Reviewed by: bloodhound_tm, on september 11, 2006

Features: The Squier Strat pack comes with a Squier Affinity Series Strat, a Fender Frontman 15G practice amp, a Fender non-chromatic tuner, A low quality Fender strap, a cable, A set of strings already on the guitar, plus a spare set of.009s, a few medium guitar picks and a gig bag. The Strat: the Squier Affinity Strat has a maple fingerboard with 21 thin frets and has a solid top body in the style of a Fender Strat. The finish is transparent. The Strat comes with a tremolo bridge. It has a 5-way selecter, plus 2 tone controls and 1 volume. The pickups are three, badly made Fender single coils and the tuners are non locking. The Amp: a cheap Fender Frontman 15G practice amplifier with a regular channel and a drive channel, 3 band EQ (treble, mid, bass) and a headphone jack which when being used makes the amp sound even worse than it already is. The controls from left to right are as follows: Volume, gain, drive select, overdrive volume, treble, mid, bass. I wasn't expecting some kind of masterpiece amp with digital effects and amp models, but I was expecting more than what I got. // 5

Sound: The Strat: I play mostly mainstream pop-punk music like Green Day, Blink 182, Panic! at the disco etc. but I also play a lot of other stuff including The Red Hot Chili Peppers and Pink Floyd. I came home from my local music store (I no longer go there after the sales guy convinced me into buying this) expecting to have a good quality guitar. I mainly thought this because it carried teh Fender brand name. I started to play the guitar without my amp plugged in (after I had raised the action a hell of a lot) and it felt pretty good. I wasn't really listening to the guitar at that time. After a few minutes I decided to set up the amp. I plugged it in and set up my pedals etc. and I realised a buzzing sound coming from the amp before I had even started playing. So I quickly got my dad to Drive me back to my local music store and I told them about it. The guy said that my amp wasn't faulty, and that it was just a bad quality amp. I got back home and played one chord on the guitar. I thought my ears were gonna bleed. Maybe it's just the amp I thought. I rang up my best friend and asked HIM if I could come over and test it on his Peavy Bandit 112. Nope. It still sounded crap. I was pissed off. The feedback was too much to handle and the sound was tinny and cheap. This guitar would be suited most towards people Who are begginers and have absolutely no musical experience. // 3

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was unbelievably low when I got the guitar. I adjusted it straight away. The volume control can be pulled off ealisy. Besides that it was good when I first got it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would never, ever use this guitar live. Not even with a backup. My strap is constantly falling off and the finish is wearing off already after just 4 months of hardly being used. // 4

Overall Impression: I play pop-punk and rock music and this guitar really doesn't suit it, or any other style of music for that matter. I've playing for 6 years and I also own a Yamaha classical guitar and a Gibson Les Paul Junior. I wish I had purchased from a different place where the workers were more experienced. I mean, a few weeks before I bought this guitar, one of the sales people at this shop asked what a whammy bar was. If someone stole this guitar I would punish them by making them play it. I would probably buy an epiphon Les Paul Studio or maybe a real Fender Strat. // 5

Strat Pack Reviewed by: Cool Beans, on december 09, 2006

Features: Oh, wow. This guitar is a good deal for anyone looking for a beginner guitar. And I'm putting a lot of stress on beginner. This guitar is the bare essentials for anyone interested in looking to begin any sort of musical experience. But first, a little background. The guitar was built in Indonesia, but I believe was put together in the main California plant. It has a 21 fret rosewood fingerboard. It has Fender Medium-Jumbo Frets that are good for people with small hands or people Who are young and just beginning. it's a solid body guitar, with simple paint finishes that is shiny, so it gets fingerpirnts on it really easily. The neck is maple, and the fingerboard is a nice rosewood. The neck is easy to grip right about the 1-5 frets, and everything above that is kind of sketchy. The frets past the 14th are kinda hard to get at and play easily. The body is alder and is unfortunately heavy abd heafty. It has classic Stratocaster style, but it isnt the same. The input jack is absolutely horrid! It comes loose after about five minutes of playing. Mind you, I've had my guitar since June of '04. Now onto the pickups. The pickups are pretty weak. They are good for light distortion, but other than that, it's pretty shaky. The clean tones are terrible, and the high-gain setting are quasi-painful. The bass/rythm pickup is not very good. It sounds very flat and doesn't have any definition. The bridge isnt very good either, it's very stiff and doesn't give much support for the strings. The srtings, no matter what brand, are easy to break with this tremelo style bridge. The tremelo is so rigid and stiff that I leave it a home every time I take my guitar anywhere. The tuners are also crap. They are very easily un-tuned. The guitar comes with a gig bag, but it's worth getting a har shell case because the bag is hard to carry and doesnt't't hold up very well. // 6

Sound: Now onto the amp and the extras. The amp is a Fender Frontman 15G/R. The R model is an amp with a reverb option. This is a pretty basic amp. Clean volume knob, Drive volume knob, Gain knob, treble mid and bass knobs, and a channel selector. It's 15 watts and it can get pretty loud. The Drive channel is not good. that's simple. The extras are simply extra weight. The cable sucks, the picks are good, the strap is bad (it digs into your shoulder), the book is worthless, and the tuner is absolutely crap. The guitar is really bad with this amp, because it is really chime-soudinf somtimes and very flat other times. It's not very good. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is very bad. It isn't fun to just pick up and play if you at a music store. The pickups are pretty bad, they are either to bright, or to flat. The hardware was pretty good, but the input jack was aweful. It was really loose and almost fragile. But everything else was pretty good. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is most definitely not live show guitar, but a play at home in your room guitar. The hardware will probably last you until you get a new guitar. The bridge is something you might potentially Switch, but it's fine as it is. The gitar, being as heavy as it is, the strap buttons are good. They are pretty smooth, so if you have soft strap end, you might have a kind of hard time with it fallnig off every once in a while. The finish on the guitar is pretty good, but is shiny, so fingerprints are very obvious. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a pretty good starter guitar. It's great for small hands or those Who are just now starting. It would be a great christmas/chanuaka (not sure how to spell that, sorry) present. If you have some expreince with an electric guitar, than this in most definitely not for you. It's very basic and good for simple music. Other than some short-comings, it's a pretty good deal. // 7

Strat Pack Reviewed by: kamikazemountai, on january 25, 2013

Purchased from: Kenny's Music Dundee

Features: Fender Squier Affinity Strat Pack HSS Candy Apple Red with Fender Frontman 15G. - Made in Indonesia - Maple Neck with Rosewood Fingerboard, 21 Fret - Humbucker, Single, Single pickup layout - Alder body - Five-way pickup selector - Two tone controls - Floating Bridge Accessories: - Fender Gig bag - Strap with pick pocket - Fender Frontman 15G + Treble, Middle and Bass Controls + Drive Selector + Normal and Drive Volume Controls + Gain Control + Standard jack input and Aux Stereo Input + Headphone Output + Power Cable - Fender Jack cable - Fender FT-004 Tuner - Fender Medium Plectrums - Tremolo Bar - Spare Spring // 9

Sound: I used to play mostly folk stuff on my acoustic but now tending towards rock with this guitar. It sounds great when I try Eric Clapton or Led Zeppelin style stuff. Power chords when the amp is set to Drive and gain is turned up high sounds great. Its easy to fiddle around with the controls on guitar and amp to get exactly the sound you want to match original songs. I've generally just been using it with the Frontman at home and occasionally with friends Laney GC80A. Had a bit of trouble with it talking to our church PA system though. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is brilliant no scratches or nicks on it. Very well setup. Everything on it is put together perfectly, probably links with Fender to thank for that. Great comfortable shape. Nice weight, not too heavy or too light. Stays in tune very well when not using tremolo bar but when you do it doesn't stay in tune for very long. Also the strings bend a bit too easily as you move towards the higher end of the fretboard which can mean its very easy to play out of tune if your not careful. The Fender cable coils really easily compared to other cables I've used. The tuner is very accurate. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've used the guitar once to play lead guitar at church and it did the job well. I've bumped it and dropped it a couple of times and its still in great condition. Tripped over and kicked the amp a couple of times and its still fine. Having tossed everything around a bit whilst playing it, the strap is fine and strap buttons hold the strap well. The strings are a bit worn however but I haven't changed them since buying it. I think everything will last for a few years without showing any wear. Cables and connections also seem to be very durable. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been very impressed with this guitar. For such a cheap price it hasn't let me down once, I've let it down much more! My favourite things about it are probably the sound and the design. When I was looking for an electric I was looking mainly at the cheaper Squiers and Yamahas because I wanted something that would be guaranteed quality but at a low price. It also worked out a lot cheaper to buy the guitar and amp together in the pack then it was to buy similar things separately. I'm looking forward to learning more skills and songs on it in the future. // 8

Strat Pack Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 16, 2004

Features: My guitar (Squier Strat) was made in 2002 and it was made in Indonesia. It has 21 frets. It came with a volume knob, two tone knobs, and a 5-way selector. The body is mad of ash and the neck is made of maple. It came with a gig bag, chromatic tuner. 3 ft. cable, 3 picks, Fender super bullets, 15 watt Fender amp. // 8

Sound: I bought this package because it was cheap and I was just beginning. As I learned how to tune it and actually play I realized that it sounded pretty good. I use(d) it with my Fender 15g amp. Overall I like the sounds, although the fifth setting is pretty fuzzy but when you're playing it goes away. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The Strat was not set up that well at the factory, the jack hole screws were stripped and fell out the week after I bought it. The only thing that really made me mad was that when I opened up the back piece, there was a lot of saw dust in it. I took off the pickguard only to find the same. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar definitely will withstand live playing. When I play with my band, it stays in tune very very well. The sound is descent and since I taped (yes taped) my jack back on, I don't have any problems with that any more. All of the knobs stay on nice and tight. The only thing might be that the cover on the selector falls off sometimes. But thats not an issue. The finish is surprisingly good. I have bumped this guitar a few times and the finish doesn't chip at all. The strap buttons are on nice I have never had a problem with that. This guitar will definately last. I plan on keeping it for live shows. Although it won't be my lead guitar, I will definitely use it as backup or for a song with different tuning. // 10

Overall Impression: I like to play songs like blink 182 and nirvana. This guitar works and sounds fine for those categories (grunge, pop-punk). I have been playing for a year and a half. I am self-tought. The only other gear I own is the 15 watt amp. If there was anything I could have gotten with this would be a bigger amp. If it were stolen I would be really p**sed off and I would wai until this summer and buy a new guitar. I'm not sure if I would buy another Squier or if I would get a Fender. My favorite feature on this guitar is how I never have to tune it. The tuners are not locking tuners. I wish it had Fender Vintage noiseless pickups. I'd recommend this guitar to any and all beginners and intermediate guitar players. maybe not the package but definately the guitar. It is reliable and sounds pretty damn good. // 8

Strat Pack Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 24, 2004

Purchased from: lentines

Features: For a begginer guitar, the Squier Strat comes with alot of well made features. The most noticible item seperating this from other begginer guitars is a 5 way selesctor which has proven useful. The Fender amp that comes with the pack is a decent amp, especialy for the price. // 8

Sound: I play all different variations of music and the Strat is well suited for all of them. I have been playing for about 2 years now and after playing other guitars have noticed a drastic difference in sound quality but nothing I noticed when I just started off and nothing that should matter to a beggining guitarist. The pickups are very noisy in positions 2 and 4 and are bothersome at times. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The only problem I had with this guitar was a porrly aligned fret that was fixed for free, other than that the finish was flawless and everything was in place. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar seems reliable bt not anything that would be live preformance quality. If you did use it for a performance I'd take a backup just incase. You might need stap locks. I have frequent problems with my strao coming undine when I really go at it. // 6

Overall Impression: If this were lost or stolen I deffenitely wouldn't buy another Squier as I feel im am past the begginer guitar level and I have my eye ona Gibson SG at a local store. Of all the begginer guitar packages under 500 this is deffenitely the best, but remeber you get what you pay foor. // 8

Strat Pack Reviewed by: musicluvrfl1, on june 28, 2004

Features: 22 fret maple neck. Nice smooth finish on the body. Black body w/ white pickguard. One volume knob and 2 tuner knobs, plus five-way selector Switch. Guitar came with amp, 6 picks, amp cable (mine's in bad condition so it buzzes when it's not sitting right), tuner (which I don't use so I can't say about that), strap (which isn't in that great of shape. I suggest buying a new one) and instruction book (which is very helpful for 1st time players). // 8

Sound: Like I said, my cable is in bad shape so if the plug isn't set right I get an annoying buzz. Otherwise it's got a great sound. With no effects, I just put the distortion on on the amp and I get a nice hard rock sound. I get good variety with the 5-way selector. This is a great guitar if you like playing hard rock like Staind or Linkin Park. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Pickups work great and the setup seems fit for something I would use. My pickgaurd is scratched up from my pick so now I have black scratch marks on it, but it makes it more used looking, like I actually play too much, which I think I do anyway. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I want to start a band, and I definately wouldn't mind using this guitar. It feels like it could last several months and possibly a few years. However, this isn't the best guitar to be playing for years. This is more of a getting started and waiting for more money guitar. Until then, this is a great guitar to use for gigs and such. Just be careful because the strap isn't too durable so I wouldn't do too much jumping around unless you get a different strap. // 8

Overall Impression: This is my first and only guitar, but I know I'll be playing it for a while. I've been playing it for about 6 months and I'm not really disappointed. I would use it if I had a band. However I would probably get a new one if I were going to become serious about gigs and being in a heavy-playing band. This is a set for newbies who just really want to start. // 8

Strat Pack Reviewed by: Zeppelin71, on july 16, 2004

Features: 2003 Squier Strat. 21 Frets, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, satin finish, active electronics, 3-way selector with little cool switchy thingy that makes it sound like anything from a twangy blues resonator to a clear, healthy Southern Rock sound. But doesn't have quite the range to hit either perfectly. Just almost. Included accessories would be, Fender electronic and acoustic tuner, gig bag, picks, instructions booklet, whammy bar, cable, strap, tools, and a 15G series Frontman Fender Amp. // 8

Sound: I'd have to say that my music style slides on a spectrum between bluesy-rock and heavy metal. To put that in a band-related arena, it goes between Led Zeppelin and Godsmack. I'm close to neithers' musical ability, but I do tend to emulate. The Sqier Strat Pack allows me to go from both ends with relative ease. There are limitatons. Of course you can't expect to sound like Jimmy Page with his '58 Gibson and Marshall's while using a bargain guitar and a relatively small amp. But for a beginner, which I was and still am to an extent, this pack is excellent. The neck is small and easily grippable, allowing first-timers to hit complicated chords and notes. The sound that comes out of the amp is very loud, even on the "3" setting on main volume it packs a tremendous whollop. And if it is fiddled with accordingly, the gain and Drive can be a potent musical weapon. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar and accoutrements came sturdy, well-built and solid. The guitar came in-tune and with no blemishes to speak of. None at all. Trying not to be superficial, but, there were no flaws. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar could do live-playing, but with a different amp. Well, maybe with the one it came with, but honestly the sound isn't loud enough for a concert. The hardware is solid and seems sturdy. Strap buttons are iron-tight. No way in H E double hockey sticks would I go on without a backup. Well, if there were no choice, yes, but if it were up to me, I'd have another axe just in case. The finsih seems to be just fine, hasn't worn off, but it takes time to tell that sort of thing. // 8

Overall Impression: I already said what style I lean towards, but as a fast-learning beginner, my own style seems like a flavor I've never tasted. With time, it'll become more defined. This is a pretty good match. I've been playing for a couple of months now, but I spend hours on it everyday, so I'm learning very quickly. I talk with my friends that play, handle their gear, so I have something to base my opinions on. If I lost this Strat, I'd wait and get a Fender Telecaster. If I ever do, I'll write a review for it. I love the fact that I can get so much out of the guitar/amp combo. I hate that I can't get just enough. It still lacks in some range. My favorite feature would be neck. I've played other guitars and the necks are almost always uncomfortable for some reason. This neck feels as if it were crafted for my hand specially. I compared this guitar with a Fender Strat. What I found? Barely any difference, except for price. I now can see that the Sqier isn't quite as good as the Fender, but the margin is tiny. The two guitars are almost the same, so I went with the lower-priced one. I'm happy with it. It's an excellent package and will probably be my workhorse guitar for many years. // 8

Strat Pack Reviewed by: Line666, on july 19, 2004

Features: Prolly made in 2003, I just got it about a year ago, it was made in good old indonesia. 21 standard size frets. Nothin flashy, but hey, its a starter pack. It's got a pretty thin neck with a beauty rosewood fretboard. It's also a solid alder body, which has a so-so blue finish. It's a Strat style, since all it is is a budget Strat, and it got a average string-thru bridge. The thing came with a whole mess of stuff--Picks, extra strings, gig bag, cheap strap, a shwing whammy bar and a Pimpin Frontman amp. Just your basic starter pack stuff. // 8

Sound: Well lets see. When I first started and got the pack, I wanted to play nothing but punk (green day, anti-flag, ect.) and it worked beautifully. It gave me nice fat power chords when I needed them, and it kept up with the fast tempo very nicely. When I got bored with power chords and got into more complicated musical styles (Led Zeppelin, Metallica) the guitar performed quite nicely. This is a great starting guitar and is really really well adaptable to almost any style of music. Now the amp is another story. Don't get me wrong, I love this amp. It's my awesome little practice amp, and it doesnt let up if what you need is a practice amp. When I first got it, I really really loved it because it gave you a great great clean sound. The distortion was very good too. But remember, when I started all I was playing was punk more or less. This could give me anything from the overdriven growl of green day to the heavy gain of goldfinger. It was hard getting anything but punk or heavy(er) rock. It was a fun amp to fiddle around with for about a week, but got boring after about a week. Its a solid back though, so after about a day I lost all the picks that came with it cause I didnt have anywhere to put them. (they were crappy picks anyway) This amp is also SUPREMELY noisy! Turn up the gain past 5 and the "noiseless pickups" are useless. You get SO much feedback it isnt even funny! Also, theres a huge gap in volume when you Switch from clean to distortion. Still I gotta love the wonder that is the Strat Pack. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Ok lemme break it down. Everything was perfect about this guitar, except for a loose input jack. Nothing a little thread glue didnt fix. Darn straight. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I wouldent play this guitar at a live show because the strap buttons have a tendency to drop the strap. Straplocks a must. I've dropped this guitar at least 8 or 9 or 14 times, and except for a few detunings, this guitar stood up to them every single time! Its got a few scratches and a dent or two on the headstock, but it keeps going and going like the energizer bunny on speed. I wouldent use this probably as the backup for the gig, but still it will keep rocking and not detune or anything. The finish is flawless and doesnt scratch very easily. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a wiiiide variety of music. now. and it fits perfectly into just about all of it, with the exception of maybe death metal. Well come to think of it, when I matched it with my Line 6 Spider II head (Drool) it handled death metal quite nicely but anyway! I wish I had asked for a distortion pedal because you can only get punk distortion, which is all well and good, but not all versatile. What I love about this guitar is how EASY it is to all around play, bending especially. I can bend the b string like 0192348908934 steps up. The main thing I don't like is that the volume knob is convienantly located right by the bridge, so when palm muting you will have a tenedency to turn down your guitar. Now, I saw four or five starter packs by various brands (Berhinger, Ibanez, ect.) and out of all of them the name "Fender" seemed to stick out more than others. If you are planning to get a starter pack and are looking at the berhinger or Silvertone pack or something, stop being cheap and shell out the extra 150 dollars and get a Fender Strat Pack or at the very least the Ibanez jumpstart pack. This Starter pack is simply the best, and you cant go wrong with Squier for a good old starter/budget guitar. Thanks for reading my long review, and please choose carefully. And keep your amp down at a lower volume if you are just starting out. Nobody likes bleeding ears. // 8

Strat Pack Reviewed by: FenderStrat1337, on july 29, 2004

Features: This guitar pack is good for a beginner, but I suggest that you upgrade to a real Fender when you start to play gigs. This is a 21 fret, solid top guitar with 2 tone knobs and one volume. This guitar has 5 way switching and 3 single coil pickups. It also has a standard tremolo. Non-locking tuners aren't the greatest, but are easy to tune up with. This pack also has an ok Frontman 15B Amplifier, a nice set of extra strings (Fender Super Bullets), an extremely basic electronic tuner, a gig bag, a strap, a cable, 3 small, thick picks, and a Fender/Hal-Leonard instruction book. The guitar is available in black, blue, white, and red. // 8

Sound: This amp is ok for any musical style, I play rock and I had to mess around with the tone and bass settings for a good sound. The amp (Fender Frontman 15B) is small but can get pretty loud. The amp makes a loud buzzing noise which is pretty annoying, but it comes and goes. The amp has Switch on distortion with Drive volume and gain knobs. It also has normal volume control, bass, treble, and middle settings. The guitar and amp combined can make a ton of sounds. When I bought the guitar a guy showed me how I could play blues, rock, and blue grass easily. The amp isnt as clear as some good amps, but it is ok. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: I have really only had 1 problem with the guitar. 2 weeks after I bought it , a little nut and bolt were pulled out when I pulled the cord out of the guitar. I took it to a music shop and they fixed it for free, but every few months I have to tighten it. Everything else has worked fine, and the guitar was well-built. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar was built well and it could withstand live playing. The tuner is awful, and I suggest you buy a different one. The amp is pretty well built too. The strap has slid off the strap button once, but that was when I first got my guitar and I must not have put the strap on well. I could depend on this guitar, but I would like a backup too. The finish is great, and I dont have any scratches on it that are visible unless they are under a bright light and you look very closely. // 8

Overall Impression: I play rock and some blues, and this guitar is great for blues. If you have the patience to mess around with the tone and bass, then this guitar is good for rock also. I have been playing since late March and I practice about 1-3 hours a day. If this guitar was stolen, I dont know if I would buy the same pack if the amp was stolen also. If the amp wasnt stolen, I would buy a better guitar. I like the sound it makes when its palm muted, although the buzzing noize on the amp really annoys me. I guess I wish this guitar just had a better sound to it. I dont recommend this as a 2nd or 3rd guitar, but it is great for someone wanting a cheap, electric guitar with the basic accessories included. // 6

Strat Pack Reviewed by: beastkev, on november 22, 2004

Purchased from: store

Features: This guitar was made in Indonesia, 21 frets, solibody, black finish white pickguard, Strat, 3 single coil picks ups, came in a package with amp strap picks and a book. // 8

Sound: The Strat often either has too much treble or too much bass. There are days when my band mates call my guitar a mosquito and other days where they call it a beast so there is no neutral in that, but hey it's Squier in other words fenders little retarded cousin. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: I play in a heavy metal band called Uranium 235 in St. Louis Missouri now this isnt an advertisement but ya. I plug us in where I can anyways, in a lot of our songs we slash while palm muting on the open E like any other good metal band the problem is my friend has a dimebag Washburn which doesnt go out of tune and I Have Fender's retarded cousin whiuch goes out of tune very easily, and the kick in the balls really is that they give u a whammy bar too! which can help you get out of tune, but it isnt terrible, The picks ups have very little feedback noise. A big problem for me is that my high E (thinnest string for beginners) is wrong on the 12th fret when I play my 12th fret it doesnt play an E like it should so the frets aren't very well made. To get harmonics on this guitar is near impossible you have to have hands as soft as pillows. The action is interesting because down low its very low but up high well its very high so ur options really just stay at playing rhythm. All you lead guitarist avoid this guitar because u cant tap and its very hard to play solos on it and full bends may get it out of tune. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is pretty durable the strap buttons hold very well. I couldn't go to a gig with just this because it gets out of tune very easily which really has been the story of this article. The finish lasts for a while I've been playing this for over a year and it only has bumps from being dropped. The hardware is iffy and I wouldn't trust it to go longer then 5 years. // 8

Overall Impression: If you play metal this isn't for you. If you play punk well you guys play crappy stuff and this is a crappy guitar so it seems like a perfect match (not dissing punks but you cant really find one guitar hero from the punk world, Johnny Ramone doesn't count I could play the stuff he plays with my balls). I would recommend this for beginners but when you get advanced buy a lot higher! // 6

Strat Pack Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 24, 2004

Features: This guitar was made in Mexico and its a few years old (probally 5 or so). It has 21 frets and 3 single coil pickups. It came with a gig bag which I do not use and a 15 watt amp which I do play on when I'm practicing at home. It has 3 control knobs, 1 for volume, and 2 for tone. It also has a 5 way tone selector that buzzes sometimes which drives me crazy. For the price I would say I'm happy with its features. // 8

Sound: I play classic rock/alternative and with the correct distortion it sounds decent. I'm using the diigtech distortion at this time and again with some tweeking of the amp and adjusting some knobs you can get some good sound but as I stated earlier my 5 way tone Switch does buzz and sometimes has to be moved around to get the sound to come back. Overall on the sound I would say it could be better but I'm happy. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: At first when I got this guitar the action was aweful! I couldn't play for more than 30 or so minutes before my fingers just got ate up, but since then I've gotten the bridge adjusted and it plays very well. It has a shiny red finish with which I have no problems with. The pickups or average I guess, nothin amazing but certainly not bad. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have never used this guiatr infront of a very large audience but when I would play for 10 or 15 it didn't let me down so I would say yes I would depend on it. as for the strap buttons they work fine, they've never came loose before and as for playing live without a backup? I would play live without a backup even if I owned a Fender Strat because things happen but I trust my Squire. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar fits my needs and also fit my budget. I've been playing for close to 2 years now and I havent had hardly any trouble with it. What I love about it is that its very comfortable to play while standing or when sitting down just jamming. Its worst flaw is its 5 way tone selector jus because of its buzzing noise. If this guitar was stolen, I probally wouldn't go by another Squire but I would be extremely pissed off. // 8

Strat Pack Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 21, 2005

Features: Comes with the guitar, a lacking and small amp, heavy picks, and a learn how to play book that anyone could learn from. The guitar is an Affinity Strat that was in a dark blue color that has the regular Strat look with 3 single coils, 3 tone and volume knobs, and a 22 fret neck. Nothing special. The amp is nothing speical either. Its channels arn't very clean. The only good thing about the amp is that it says Fender on it which is better than having it say Squier. Also it comes with a low quality case and a strap that is always coming off. However, a cheap amp, strap, and bag is better than no amp, strap, and bag. // 6

Sound: The sound is possibly the worst I've ever heard. The pickups on it don't do anything at all and when you put it through an amp you'll realize that it sounds better unplugged. The sound also doesn't work well with distortion. I put it through a DigiTech RP80 and made the sound even worse. Best if played on a low volume. The only style I could really think of for this guitar would probably be backup guitar in a blues band. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: The pickup selector was noisy and the inout jack got loose. Everything is adjusted fine with it though. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Even though it sounds bad, it's put togethe pretty good. Sure a few strings break here and there when you accidentally palm mute a little too hard, but other than that it's fine. The neck always stayed straight, the pickguard never loosened, and the pickups never got loose. The only really noticeable flaw to the guitar is that the input jack can come loose a little bit and using a wrench to tighten it up once a week gets annoying. Other than that the durability is good. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar is poor. Even beginners that haven't played a lick of guitar would tell you that they weren't satisfied with it. You could probably put it to better use by taking off the neck and body and selling it as Fender Strat parts. However it has a low price and come with an amp and can be good if you're a beginner. // 6

Strat Pack Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 26, 2005

Purchased from: caldwell music

Features: It's got everything a Fender would have on it just not as good yes, it's a cheap ass guitar with a cheap ass amp to match it but I enjoy playng it because it is all I got for now. It comes with a gig bag, a strap, and a tuner. It sounds like it is made from frigin plywood and thats pretty much it. // 6

Sound: It suits all the music I play wich spans from Black Sabbath to Eric Clapton, it gets really noisy with any amount of distortion but I found the problem, it was the springs right under the pickups that were ringing so I wrapped them in scotch tape and that fixed it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Every thing was perfect except for the position of the pickups and the cable jack wich comes loose every now and then but is easily tightened by hand. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Right out of the box I woundn't trust this thing in front of my best freind but after tinkering on it myself I would gig but not without a backup (who would do that). The finish is nice enough for me and thats all. // 6

Overall Impression: I love this guitar so much that if sombody stole it I would go postal on his ass, I love the pool under the pickguard so it can be changed to pretty much any pickup configuation, but I hate the little white thing that popps off that just pisses me off. // 8

Strat Pack Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 27, 2005

Purchased from: AL&M

Features: This is fairly new. I got it in 2004. It has 21 frets, made in Japan, it has a nice finish that I haven't managed to chip yet and I play this at my school everyday and carry it from my house to school. It is basically like a Fender Strat except cheaper - 3 single coils, Tune-O-Matic bridge, 5-way selector and comes with a gig bag, strap, cable, tuner, and amp. It is a good deal but I wish I had gotten the Epiphone Les Paul Special II starter pack. // 8

Sound: It's good for pretty much everything. I've played through many amps but it almost always sounds bad because it doesn't have humbuckers! I mostly play blues, jazz, classic rock, and rock, and sometimes a little metal and it doesn't have a good bluesy distortion. I have played through a clean channel amp and it sounded better than my friends pretty nice ESP but I don't think it is really that great. This guitar has an excellent variety of sounds, but it is sometimes hard to find a good tone. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up well but I just tightened the input jack to help the cable stay in and not break up and sound bad. The hardware is just cheap Squier crap but its actually pretty durable and everything looks great. I accidently hit the headstock on my ceiling and it left a tiny chip but I hit it pretty hard. The pickups aren't that great but they don't move around or anything and don't sound that bad. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would never gig this thing. The hardware seems like it would last, but I heard a rumor that this guitar was made to last only six months. I might use this as a backup for a gig though. I'm planning to get an Epiphone Les Paul or Gibson Les Paul as my main guitar though. I almost never play this because I have a Baby Taylor and it's more dependable. The strap buttons on my Squier are pretty cheap and the strap has fallen off a few times. Tighten the input jack if you get this, but I would reccomend the Epiphone Les Paul Special II starter pack over this. // 6

Overall Impression: I like this guitar and it can suit any kind of music if you use effects and make sure you have a good tone which can sometimes take a while to find. I have been playing almost a year, but I consider myself good because I'm already just as good as my friends who have been playing a long time. I wish I had gotten the Epiphone Les Paul starter pack but this was my first guitar and I can't do much complaining about it. I think it can sound really good if you make it and if it were stolen I'd buy another if I had and Epiphone or Gibson Les Paul as my first guitar. I have a Baby Taylor that I play at my house and I play this at school with my friends 'cause I don't care if it gets messed up because I'm probably getting a new guitar soon. // 8

Strat Pack Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 28, 2005

Purchased from: Guitarworks

Features: It was made in Japan, around 2005. It has a maple neck, which is pretty good handling. The finish on my guitar is very nice (transparent). I have no clue what the body is made out of, but the neck is maple. I can't remember what the bridge style is (I'm not at home right now). I am pretty sure they are passive, but I can't really be sure. It has one volume knob, two tone knobs, and a five way selector. Three Fender single coil pickups. Non-locking tuners. And it came with gigbag, strap, cable, a Frontman 15 amp. // 8

Sound: I play all types of rock, this is more of a beginner, heavy rock type of sound, I use only distortion (I'm too cheap to buy stuff) on the guitar, and it works pretty well with the distortion. I always get feedback on my guitar when it gets too close to the amp. It has a good grungy tone thoughh, and some softer music's good too. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The action ias terrible. I don't like it at all, I tried lowering the axction and it is totally buzy now. The pickups are in a fairly good position, but the bridge is pretty good, I like it. The biggest problem with this was the fret filing. Some of the nuts are loose, but thats about it, also, the pickup selector is noisy. // 4

Reliability & Durability: It's pretty good durability, I haven't set it on fire yet so I'm not realy sure what it's limits are, the hardware seems to last well, I use a metal pick and it still lasts, the strap buttons kind of blow, my strap keeps sliping off, it's fairly dependable, but personally, this would be my back-up at a gig. // 8

Overall Impression: It's a fairly good match for whatr I play. All I have is what came with the guitar, except for my acoustic gear. Before buying this guitar, I wouldn't have wished for anything more. If it were stolen, I would probably get pissed, go on a little "Tom Cruise" hissy, then I'd buy a new guitar with the help of the insurance money. Probably pitch in some of my money and buy a better guitar. // 8

Strat Pack Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 24, 2005

Features: It was made in 2004 in korea. It's only got 21 frets and I only play metal, thrash and speed on it so its kind of a pain in the ass. It's got a pretty big scale neck which is good. It's pretty solid with a rosewood capped maple neck and pearloid inlays and a nice see through candy apple red finish. It's a Strat guitar so it's comfortable and resonates pretty good. It's got a standard six screw tremolo bridge but I don't use it because it rips it out of tune really quickly. It's got 3 Fender single coil pickups for a bright tone. There's a 5-way Switch and 2 tone and 1 volume pot. I have no idea what kind of tuners but their pretty good even though they don't lock. It came with a 15G Fender amp, cable, tuner, picks, book allen keys, extra bridge spring and strings. // 6

Sound: It's not great for my style 'cause it's different types of metal and it can't make the crunch I'm lookin for. I only have a 15 watt Fender 'cause it's my first guitar and I'm 13 and it goes alright with the amp. It's kinda noisy but thats almost expectant with it on high gain and the bridge pickup. Has a bright sound but its pretty damnm thin. I can make a pinch harmonic like breathin on that thing but thats about all. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Set up like s--t. Finish is really good and is stayin put. It was set up like a tank though. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Nope. For a while. Not really. I wouldn't gig with it if I had a choice. the finish will last for a while. // 4

Overall Impression: It sucks. // 2

Strat Pack Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 06, 2005

Features: It's not my guitar, it's a friend's. I'm a bass player so this is from my perspective. I'm not quite sure what year it was made, but it is a Squier, so it's a Japanese/American project. 21 frets, solid-top, rosewood fretboard with a maple neck, alder body. It was a solid-finish colbat blue. It is a Affinity-style Strat with a standard tremolo bridge. Passive electronics, volume-tone-tone controls and a 5-way selector. 3 stock single-coil pickups. Non-locking grover tuners. It was a combo pack so it came with the guitar, amp, gig bag, strap, cable, picks, and an instructional booklet. Aside from the guitar, the only good quality item was the amplifier, it's a cheap 15-watt, but it has built in distortion so it can be as loud as any 40 or 50-watt. // 6

Sound: It has a good classic rock tone. When I played "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana, on it, it sounded almost exactly like the recording. I would say it can play anything from jazz to grunge. The amp is the best small amp I've ever seen or played. Without the distortion, it is a light full sound, but with it, there is a dark, rich tone to it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The pickups, bridge, and action, were all average, it was a starter pack so it wasn't all that special. The input socket was a little loose and it needed to be tightened. When my friend changed the strings on it, it was difficult to put them through the body. // 6

Reliability & Durability: It's not going to be up on stage with Slash or anything, but it's a good backup guitar. It looks like the hardware will do for a while. The strap buttons are tough. It's a good reliable backup guitar, it doesn't seem like it'll last forever though. // 6

Overall Impression: We both play metal, rock, grunge, and punk. It's a good match for all but the metal. I've been playing about a year and a half, so my opinion isn't the best, but this review is from the best of my knowlege. I own a Fender Standard Jazz Bass, so this is deffinately not all my expertise. If it were lost or stolen, I'd assume my friend would want to buy a better one. We both love the amp, but the guitar is mediocre. I would compare it to an Epiphone SG pack, or Ibanez Jumpstart pack. I think the cable and strap could've been better though. // 6

Strat Pack Reviewed by: human leg, on october 26, 2005

Features: This is "the" guitar pack for all beginners. Mine was made in Indonesia and it has 21 frets, a 5-way pickup selector Switch, 3 single coil pickups, six in-line non-locking tuners for easy tuning, a volume knob, and 2 tone knobs. The amp, Fender Frontman 15G, is definitely not the greatest amp, but it will satisfy a beginner for the first year or two. It has everything you need to jump right into playing, including a gig bag, amp, guitar, tuner, cable, and it even has a good book. // 7

Sound: From a pack like this you can't really expect much for sound. For beginners though that can't tell the difference between this amp and an expensive tube amp, it is a great place to start. The guitar itself is pretty decent and after some major modifications (such as rewiring and refreting the higher frets/adding frets) I still play it, but thankfully I got a new amp and effects pedals. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar, as far I can see, there is nothing wrong with the guitar, except that it is crappy quality. The tuners, control pots, and input jack come loose very easy and required me to replace the screws. Still beginners won't find anything wrong with it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is pretty indestructible, but I don't think I would trust it on stage. I can barely trust it playing by myself. I personally wouldn't even use it as a back up. Still for a first guitar people aren't going to be throwing this guitar around when it is wanted, so it should stay in pretty good shape. // 8

Overall Impression: I am playing anything from blues to metal and it does a decent job of keeping up. I own a GNX4 pedal and a 120 watt Beringer amp so that makes up for the Strat. If it were stolen I would not buy another one, I would invest in a better guitar, but over all for its price it is definitely a great first guitar/amp. // 8

Strat Pack Reviewed by: cubie_emo_cake, on january 03, 2006

Purchased from: Muso's Corner

Features: I have no idea when or where this guitar was made, but I know it has 21 frets, and has a Strat body (the guitar is a Squier Affinity Strat), with a string-thru body bridge. It's got a volume knob and two tone knobs for for the bridge and neck. It's also got a 5-way selector and three single coil pick ups. The amp is a Fender Frontman 15G, which is a great little practise amp, with a great clean channel (although I don't use it too much) and an overdrive channel that delivers some good sounds but is quite gainy. Other stuff includes a beginers booklet, picks strings, strap, gig bag, headphones lead and various other tools. For features, you can't get a better starter pack (that I know of). // 10

Sound: The guitar is good. Some will say it's crap, but some a dumb and lie. It's not a great guitar but through the amp in a small room, uyou get some good sounds. My friend/guitar teacher had to borrow it for a few songs at a gig his band was doing, and the guitar sounded quite good through his all tube Marshall stack (not sure what model it is, but it was Marshall so yeah, you get it). The only problem I have with it is it's a bit tinny, it's kinda hard to get good heavy solid sounds out of it. But as a first electric guitar or maybe even second (depending on what you started with), this guitar is good. The Frontman amp is a geat practise amp, it's great for small rooms but for stage crap. The clean channel might be okay but I have never used the clean channel on stage so I don't know. I would rather a Marshall MG15MSII (they sound as good as they look: friggen awesome) as a practise amp but this is good. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I do very much like the quality of the look and feel of the guitar. The action was alright out of the box but I have had it lowered since, and much prefer it. The nut on the input jack came loose after about 2 weeks, so I got it fixed by friends, now when it happens I do it myself, but it does still some loose. Also the screw hole on the jack plate needed fixing because the threading was stripped, but it was covered by warranty. Everything else was fine and great. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The hardware does seem like it will last, especially the amp. I play just about every week at my church and youth group and have been doing that for about 8 months now, so I guess it can with stand live playing. It's the only guitar I own at the moment so it's gonna have to last me until I get my Epiphone Les Paul. I have to play it without back up, but I am happy to do so, I just wish I didn't have to use the frontman amp on stage though, which I'm not happy to do so. The strap buttons are solid and the finish is good, I play wearing jeans quite often (I wear jeans alot) and the buttons and studs on my jeans scratch the back of the guitar but thats all, scratches. The finish doesn't wear off. // 9

Overall Impression: This pack is quite possibly the best electric guitar starter pack you can buy, at an affordable price considering all the stuff you get with it. Most pack come with tiny 10 watt amps but this one has a 15 watt amp that is useable on stage (just sounds messy and crap). As a practise amp, great. If you want to learn guitar, get this pack cause it's great. If you want to get an electric and know how to play already, but don't have an electric, get this pack. // 9

Strat Pack Reviewed by: Indykid, on january 09, 2006

Purchased from: Music Makers

Features: Made in 2003. Made in Indonesia. 21 frets, Maple neck. Laminated body top and solid neck top. Both body and neck woods are maple. Doesn't have a particular type of finish (depends which color you get). Has a Strat style body. Bridge is string through body. Electronics are passive. Volume control, two tone controls and a 5-way selector. Pickups are Fender made. Accesories included are a strap, amp cable, a tremolo arm, tution material (taster of the Fender tuition DVD) and a 15 gig Fender amp with power cable. It also comes with spare strings. // 10

Sound: I think it suits my music style well, but it suits most styles, as my friends play it, who have different styles and it works for them. It's a real all rounder. You can use all kinds of pedals and synthesizers with it. It works on all guitar amps, including synth amps, like Orange amps. It can be extremely loud when using overdrive on full volume with full gain, but it can be lowered, and can also be used, convieniently, with a pair of head phones. It has a rich sound, and the sounds can be varied with different amps, pedals and the tremolo arm. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up well, with no flaws what so ever. The pickups were well adjusted, so the quality of the sound isn't lowered. All in all there were no problems. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will probably last me my entire playing life. The guitar will easily withstand live playing. I regularly play for at least 1 hour a day, sometimes non stop and it has been fine to date. The strap buttons are fine, but I reccomend buying a new strap as the one packaged falls off after playing standing for a while as it stretches the leather. I have not had a gig with it yet, but I wouldn't take a backup, as it has stood up against many a jam session. The finish is also thick, and has withstood many a bump, scratch or knock and is still smooth all over. I wouldnt reccomend using the tremolo arm to much though as it can make the bridge losen up over time, but it can be tightened back on. // 8

Overall Impression: I play indy/rock style and it is a good match, but as I said earlier it still is a good all rounder. I have been playing for about a year and a half, and this is my second guitar. As my first one held up for a good long while (would've lasted even longer if a scummy little chav boy hadn't broken it) I haven't needed to buy a new one in a year, and that one was an acoustic, so I dont own wuch other gear, but a do have a few distortion pedals. If it were stolen or lost I would probably opt for a real Fender, but for a starter pack I would definetly buy this. I did compare this to a Encore and a Westfield Strat starter packs, and this was definetly the best, and I dont regret anything about buying this. All players who own an acoustic and are looking for an elctric, I reccomend this starter pack, as it has definetly been a good one. It is also quite cheap at only 200 pounds. // 10

Strat Pack Reviewed by: darkxtc, on july 17, 2006

Purchased from: Anthonys Music

Features: This Squier was made probably around 05, or at least, thats what the salesman said. Its one of them cheap malaysian models, I dont think they make squiers in USA? It's a 21 fret rosewood board, I really like the long grainy finish on it. not sure if itll appeal to most people tho, my friends all go for the laminated fretboards. The bridge is a standard one, nothing special about it, you see it on most dodgy electrics. The tuner's are pretty sweet, they stay in tune for ages, I've tuned this guitar only twice in around 7 months. I may have gotten lucky tho, I know a few people with the same guitar, and they have horrible tuners, ie, theyre tuning them every few days. Oh, btw, ditch the amp. Its the worst sounding chunk of wood I've ever heard, even our school ones are better. Save it for the barbie, or just dont get a Strat Pack at all, the guitar itself is perfectly fine tho. I've tried it out on a Marshall 50w and it sounds excellent, but the amp you get with it just ruins the sound completely. The 'switchable distortion' thing is just that overdrive thing, sounds pretty bad. you're better off going for a Fender frontman, its around 150 bucks. you get a strap, two allen keys, a lead and a set of five picks. its not worth the pack, the amp just kills it. // 7

Sound: I play mainly blues with this, the single couls suit it perfectly. The Marshall I used sounds great with the gain turned up, but humbuckers are way better for metal, so dont expect to play that stuff and sound good on this guitar. Some classical stuff sounds allright, still lacks the tone of an actual classic guitar, but it's playable and sounds decent, but this definitely suits blues. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The place I brought it from tuned it before I bought it, but the action was pretty shoddy, way too low to play properly. the higher frets buzzed heaps, so I played around with them screws and it was ok after that. I like a lot of bass so I had to raise the nexk pickup, I almost never use the others so I've left them in their standard configuration. Everything was perfect except for the nut, it wasnt really rectanguler. like bits were hanging off it so I had to sand it off. And there was this blue smudge on the neck, prolly was just ink I didnt notice it at the store, I couldn't be stuffed getting another. Hmm, the lead thingy had a bit of a problem. I unscrewed it since one side of it seemed higher than the other, and the screw holes were misaligned, I've just left it like that, you cant really notice it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Ahh, I've never used this live, never played live. My friends been playing guitar for ten years, he can play little wing and he did it on this Squier on performing arts night and it played beautifully. He'd forgotten his Fender and I had left this at school so he had to use it, but no problems at all. The finish is extremely thick, I've scraped it a number of times on the sharp metal armrest edges of my chair and I cant see any scratches. The hardware? No it doesn't look like it'll last. After about 4 months, I noticed a slight buzzing whenever I moved the lead around. You can sorta get it to a position where theres no buzzing, but yeah, it wont last. The strap buttons are pretty dodgy as well, I've dropped it quite a few times. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said, it fits blues perfectly. The pickups buzz on extremely high volume levels, but again, this could be the amp, it's not that bad on the Marshall 50w. I've been playing about a year, but this is the first guitar I've bought, I just bludged around on my friends bfore, I had his backup guitar for awhile, its some random Ibanez. I wouldn't buy this again, id get one of them G series Ibanez I think its called? It's more expensive, but it sounds better. I really love the Strat bod style, it's probably the sxciest guitar style out, well thats my opinion. I hate the dodgy 'finishing touches' tho, like the lead in thing, it just looks bad, but yeah it's not that noticeable unless your actually looking for it up close. I had to get this one, my parents were being cheap and since it's my first guitar, it's probably a good idea getting a cheap one anyway. Overall, it's pretty sweet for its price, ditch the amp, just get the guitar tho. If you play live, get some strap loks, or use ducttape. // 7

Strat Pack Reviewed by: haz_uk, on august 14, 2006

Purchased from: Costco

Features: Made in Indonesia 2003, 21 frets, 2 volume & 2 tone knobs, 5 way selector and sunburst finish. Alder Strat-style body fitted with a white pickguard housing 3 passive single coil pickups. Pack included a Squier SP-10 combo amplifier, strap and pick. A decent bunch of kit to get started with. // 6

Sound: This was my first guitar which I used to play more simple songs by bands such as Green Day and Nirvana which everyone plays when starting out. Used with the supplied amp, the tonal range is quite limited, as the clean is thin and the distortion is an unpleasant growl, also a lack of a gain knob means you cannot adjust the levels of distortion. I bought a Marshall 50DFX with my second guitar and tried playing this through it. While the pickups are weak, I still use this guitar for playing certain songs with a slight crunch/light distortion and some cleans, for example last summer by Lostprophets. I have also experimented with this guitar through my Behringer distortion pedal, this used in conjunction with the second switch postion (middle and bridge pickups) produces quite an impressive sound for such a cheap guitar, however doesn't quite cut it when compared with my Les Paul. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up was below average, and having no clue about guitars at the time, I didn't bother to get it set-up correctly. In comparison to my girlfriends guitar, which is an Affinity (set up at the shop it was bought at) this guitar doesn't play as well and feels of lower quality. While the wood did not contain any noticable flaws, the pickup selector crackles when used, and the input jack has a tendency to come loose. Also due to the nature of the Strat input jack housing, it is quite awkward to tighten the bolt around the plug. // 3

Reliability & Durability: After around 1.5 years of use the neck pickup stopped working. Taking off the pickguard revealed a broken connection on one of the soldered joints which was easily fixed. Over this time the tuners have become very loose on several occasions and have required tightening. However, most other parts have remained intact and are in general working order. In the future I may plan to have this guitar refinished and refitted with a single active bridge humbucker along with better quality hardware (bridge, tuners, knobs etc) in order to make better use of it. Ideally, you'd want a better quality guitar for gigging. I don't think the quality of materials used were intended for intensive gigging/live performance. // 3

Overall Impression: At the time of purchase I was into pop-punk/grunge/nu metal and so on, and while this fulfilled my needs as a beginner, now I would not consider it a good match for these genres. Since then, my music taste has changed to include metal, thrash, hardcore and emo, which generally require a humbucker equipped guitar which my Epiphone Les Paul handles very well. If this guitar were to be stolen or lost, I wouldn't replace it. I would look into getting a Jackson or LTD as a backup to my LP (also to fill the space on my wallmount). Looking back, I wish I had bought the Squier Metal Pack, which includes a Showmaster equipped with a more powerful pickup and generally better aesthetics along with the slightly better Frontman15G amp. // 6

Strat Pack Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 27, 2006

Purchased from: Beacock Music

Features: I bought this guitar a bit ago, actually, my dad bought it, but I play it, and I have to say, I can start to tell the difference between this and other guitars. It's got a 5 pickup Switch, 3 pickups, 2 tone and a volume control, and came with a Fender 15G amp. The gig bag is alright, gets me to and from lessons, the tremolo is fine, but beginner, and the strings it came with weren't too good, they broke within a day. The tuner is extremely hard to use, but that is probably from a beginner's point of view. // 6

Sound: I like to play 80's hair band and various hard rock, like AC/DC, and it sounds completely off. I hate the sound of it (opinion), and it sounds really bad. When hooked up to the amp with overdrive, it really gets loud, I can only keep it between 1 and 2, over that, it gets loud. The amp is fine for a beginner. It's easy to use, and it is good. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The tuners are a little wierd. Some are tighter and some are looser, and I have to tune it after about a half-hour of playing because it goes flat. I don't know what the pickups are supposed to be like, but they don't get in the way, and they get the sound. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has lasted me for a while, other than strings breaking quite a bit. I am in a band, and the guitar works just fine. It has stood the test of a back and forth semi-moving lifestyle (my parents are divorced, gotta take it to both houses, and then some). // 7

Overall Impression: For my first guitar, this was like a calling to me. This may be my first, but it definately won't be my only one for long. The guitar is more for just practice. Not for real playing, so for those of you that have like gigs and stuff, this isn't for you. I've been playing for 8 months now, and this still is a good guitar FWIW. If this were stolen. I'd be glad. It'd be an excuse to get another guitar. I love that this is actually an electric guitar I can play on. I hate that it sounds so flat. I wish it had better sound. // 7

Strat Pack Reviewed by: krymson, on december 04, 2006

Features: This is a Squire Start made in Japan, I have no idea which year it was made in. It has 21 frets and a really thin neck. It's blue with a lamanated top and a white pickguard. The neck it the Standard Stractocatser shape wih a 5-way pickup (along with two tone knobs) selector string-thru body and crappy passive single coil pickups. It also has a bolt-on neck. The guitar came with a Champ 15 amp, which is pretty good little practice amp. Also came with strap, patch chord, picks, strings, whammy bar and a gig bag. // 6

Sound: I mostly play metal and hard rock, but also sometimes some ska. The guitar has a pretty decent tone for ska music but the pickups are starting to ware down and are getting really buzzy, which can a problem when playing through louder amps. Has a fairly bright sounds and has some versitility. Yoyu may not be able to get exactly what you want tone-wise but it will be close enough. This guitar has a good tone range for begginers. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The action of the guitar of the guitar was slightly high, but overall was fine, also despite the pickups waring down, they sounded fine out of the box. The guitar didn't contain any flaws other than the pickups beeing easily worn out, but hey that's what you get when you get 100$ guitar. The finish on the guitar has become really damage over time, and has been chipped fairly easily. The neck has also became chipped up abit too which can be a pain while playing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Despite the guitar being easily dented, it could withstand Live paying. I wouldn't use it because of the buzzing sounds but if I had to I think I could rely on it for a show or two. The pickups are getting worse everyday so I'm not sure how much longer it will last (had it for 4 years now). Once again I would only us this at a gig once or twice, but without a backup, I would probably borrow a friends guitar or something. The finished it pretty chipped up has taken a lot of abuse over the years but it isn't faing or anything like that, so it seems like it will last. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal and hard rock but also some ska. I find out of those three genres, it fits ska best because on distorted channels it becomes very noisy because the pickups are going. I've been playing for 2 years now and have been playing it through the amp that came with it. Other than the buzzing, the tones are adequit for a begginer and do deliver some nice distorted tones, but they sounds fairly thin. It it were stolen or lost I would go and buy an Epiphone guigtar istead. I really like the ska tones it has but really hate the pickups and how easy it chips. This guitar is not suitable for someone in a serious band, however, it's perfect for a begginer. // 6

Strat Pack Reviewed by: TempleOfMonkeys, on october 10, 2007

Features: Its a Basic Stratocaster copy. 21 frets, flush-mount Fender synchronised-style tremolo, white scratchplate on black body. 3 single-coil pickups. It has a 5-way pickup selector, volume knob and 2 tone knobs. It was made in China, no idea when. It also came with a gig bag, strap, cable, a 20w practice amp, and some celluloid picks. It's good that the guitar comes with the accessories, but they're so cheap you're better off buying higher quality ones that will last, for future guitars. // 5

Sound: The tone isn't great, you can hear a bit of a real Strat tone, but it's buried behind hum and noise from the pickups and knobs. The volume control puts in a lot of hum unless it's on maximum or minimum. The tone controls have a small effect, but it's definitely noticeable (one is for the neck pickup, one is for the middle. People don't seem to understand this, and I guess they use pickup combinations and the bridge pickup and they don't notice any difference. All I can say is duh). The tone knobs can be turned down to reduce some of the hum and also for playing alright sounding jazz. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up was poor. The action was far too high, the intonation was completely wrong (there was seriously no point trying to tune the guitar until it was properly set up) and the neck was ever-so-slightly bowed. The wood is sparse and sucks up tone and sustain, because it's very soft. At first the output jack was loose, so it didn't always make contact with the cable and it would let it fall out so I had to take it out and bend the contact back, but now it holds strongly. I ended up setting up the bridge so it can float properly, it naturally tilts forward a bit and stays there. I can pull up and get maybe 2 semitones, so its range isn't good but it works well for vibrato. One good thing is that I'm constantly changing my tunings between C# and E, and sometimes (rarely) I go to B and the bridge doesn't rise or sink like a Floyd does, it only moves by a mm or two. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is definitely not for gigs. The tuners don't hold too well, so your tuning is screwed up within a few hours (I use GHS 11's with loads of windings on the pegs). Hey, I guess it helps you learn to tune your guitar, and identify when the tuning has gone flat. On my guitar: the strap buttons always come loose, I've snapped (and fixed) the tremolo arm. Apart from that, it's showed itself up to be pretty damn tough. It's been treated pretty rough being taken to school, borrowed and stuff like that, tipping off its stand and just generally being knocked around. I used to be pretty bad for donking it against doorways as I went through them. It only has like 3 small dents on the edges from all of that. // 7

Overall Impression: I play a wide range of music on this guitar, sometimes blues and rock and other misc stuff, but mostly metal. It's good for playing a bit of Chili Peppers, but for metal the neck is slow and most of the songs I know use the 22nd to 24th frets. I can do some shredding on it, but it's like 10x easier on better guitars. If it were stolen, I'd be pretty pissed to be honest. But, I get pissed off when people steal pens from me, so yeah I wouldn't replace it with another Squier Strat, that's for sure. But as far as a first guitar goes, it's been pretty f--king good to me. Better than learning on a classical guitar, by far. It annoys me how people are like "don't get it as a first guitar cos it's too crappy for that" when it definitely isn't. It was obviously made to be a first guitar. I can't recall the exact quote, but Slash once said something like "there's no point getting $50, 000 worth of gear when you can't even play right" and it's very true. You don't need the best guitar on earth when you're only learning the basics like open chords, scales, bends, legato and stuff like that. If you're exposed to average guitars like the Squier Strat, you'll very quickly appreciate what a good guitar feels and sounds like. It's also good because you can experiment with setting it up, adjusting the truss rod (not that you should just go and mess around with it or you'll snap the neck), and taking it apart to see how electric guitars are made, and if you cause minor damage in the process it doesn't matter so much. Also, you can get first hand experience fixing some of the problems you'll come across with guitars. If you learn to play as quickly as most people do, you'll probably only use it for around a year until you're serious enough about playing to need a better guitar. Before then, you're not going to be writing songs, getting famous and playing gigs, and it's not like you're going to be stuck with it forever, so why blow loads of money on it? You might decide that you don't feel like playing seriously, and you only want a guitar that you can casually pick up every now and then and play. Why get a $2000 guitar if you're only gonna play it once a month? I fully recommend it as a first guitar. Just make sure that you compare prices and find a reasonably priced set, don't wanna get ripped off or anything. When you buy it, the first thing you should do is take it to your local guitar shop/technician to have it set up properly. After that, you'll be away. Just please don't be really noobish like a lot of people I've heard about and ask about getting EMG pickups or a Floyd Rose installed in it, cos it ain't worth upgrading. You can laugh at me or flame me (and if you do you're obviously pretty immature), but I actually love my Squier Strat. It's been a great first guitar for me, I've learned heaps on it, and I'll probably keep it forever. Having a pretty average Squier Strat never put me off learning, it actually paid off. It made me practice even harder, because that I knew that once I'd learned enough, I could save up for a really nice guitar. And, well, I'm ordering that really nice guitar in 2 days. // 10

Strat Pack Reviewed by: aedmiston, on april 30, 2008

Purchased from: Brooks Mays Music

Features: Guitar: 21 fret solid body Squier Strat. Nothing special here. 3 single-coil pickups, 5-way pickup selector, master volume knob, with bass and treble tone knobs. Rosewood neck, black body with white pick guard. The guitar plays fine, haven't had any wiring issues yet and I've had it for a year. The strings that come on it are pretty crappy, so it's a good idea to buy some good Ernie Ball's or something and just replace them as soon as you buy it. Amp: Squier SP-10. Little 10 watt practice amp. The distortion Switch is a button, so you have to rely on your pickup selector and creative use of tone knobs to get any variation with it. Has a master volume knob, and bass and treble tone knobs. Has quite a kick for a little guy. Strap: mine broke. The first time I used it. If you're going to use a strap, please buy a third party brand, cause the included one is trash. Gig bag: trash. Just a pleather case, with a zipper in the bottom. you have to slide it up into the bag from the bottom, and it's almost guaranteed you will knock it out of tune every time. If you plan on taking it anywhere, buy a hard case. Tuner: true to my piano, so I'd say it works just fine. But sometimes the high E isn't responsive, but you can just click down to the low E to solve that problem. // 7

Sound: I play mostly '70s hard rock and a bit of 80's hair metal, and it works just fine for that. If you know how to turn the knobs just right, you can get Clapton's woman tone to play Cream if you want to. As long as you know what you're doing, you can get pretty much any sound you want out of it. I'm not using it with any top shelf amps of fancy effects pedals either. All I've got is the guitar and the amp that came with it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was fine, straight out of the box, aside from the low quality strings. The pickups worked, the knobs worked, the selector was fine. All systems go. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't play in a band or anything, just at home or jammin with friends. Works fine as a practice guitar. Strap buttons will hold up, but you need a new strap because the stock one is a piece of crap. I wouldn't gig a $3000 Gibson without a backup, so the same goes for this one. The paint is holding up fine, so I wouldn't be too worried about that. // 8

Overall Impression: Works fine for pretty much any rock, though you might want to get something else if you're playing thrash or death metal. I've been playing about 4 months, and this is the first and only guitar I've ever owned, but I've played plenty of others. I'd take it over a Gibson or Epiphone any day, but that could just be because I hate the bridges on Gibsons. The only other thing it's missing is a humbucker. // 8

Strat Pack Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 09, 2009

Purchased from: Music and Arts

Features: As far as I know, this was a 21 fretted solid body guitar. It has a horribly squeaky tremolo bar and it has a 5-Way Selector for the three single-coil pick ups. The setup nicely came with a 1-zipper pocket gig bag, a always-falling-off strap, a nice long cable, and some random allen wrench. Overall disappointed me in the quality but it was good to have the beginning basics. // 6

Sound: The sound surprisingly was loud enough for me, but there is a horrible buzz from the single-coil pickups. It can get fuzzy with the amp it comes with, but at the same time it has been able to change with simple EQ switches. My first guitar made my playing what it is now, and it was fine enough for any starter. It has a range from jazz (PLEASE do not use clean it's clangy and snappy and not smooth) to a good bit of distortion. I would not use the gain to high, and I would use a mix of the bridge and middle pick-up. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: It was built the way it sounds: horribly. The pick-ups were fine, but the headstocks feel loose sometimes, the cable port was so loose I had to tighten it and this nut fell out of the inside. The action is pretty high, but then again thats a good thing for beginning. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could withstand playing Live, as I've bumped it into walls a lot and it probably isn't bad enough to explode as you stare into it's dusty pick-ups. It might last a good while. The strap buttons do not hold the strap that nicely. I would rather use a BACKUP than the guitar, although there are worse guitars out there. The finish is a nice glossy red on mine but it got a scratch already. // 7

Overall Impression: I think this was a good first guitar that lasted me a while. For my hard rock and metal it lasted me well. I've been playing almost 2 years and I practice about 2 hours a day with the Fender Amp it came with and a wah. If it were stolen, I would probably hunt the person down and get t back but I would buy a new one since I have advanced beyond this guitar. I like the fact that it lasted well and it does teach me very nicely. it's Whammy, lack of frettage for me, and it's buzz were the downfall, but I promise you if you want to play electric guitar, you don't mind a tough training, and you want a cheap guitar without stickers and advertisement on it, go ahead and treat it well. // 7

Strat Pack Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 30, 2010

Price paid: C$ 300

Purchased from: The Arts

Features: 22 Frets, Solid body, black, included DEC amp, 5 way selector, Volume & 2 tone pots, HSS pickup configuration, whammy bar, gig bag, strap, picks, cable, tools, extra spring... Standard inexpensive Strat kit. Of course it is going to be Asia, Walnut Skunk Stripe on the neck... // 7

Sound: The amp has multiple effects, CD input (good for CD based lessons) - several amp mimic settings, built in metronome and jam rhythms. There is some hum on the pickups, the pots are a little noisy, a little heavy/muddy on the bass. Want blues, you can find blues. Want jazz... good luck. Grunge - it gets muddy really fast but my daughter's friends seemed to think that was "the sound" of grunge as they were looking for it. I don't know - I just wanted Blues. The highs are a bit flat. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The action setup is surprisingly good out of the box. The fingerboard looks poor due to irregular colouring though it feels fine. The strings feel terrible - possibly oxidized for sitting too long in the shop waiting for a sale. The pickups and practice amp are low end... expect hum. This is stuff for kids garage bands and practice - this is not intended to be your prime gig material unless you are in junior high. The final score here is lower than average - the fretboard cosmetics annoy me and the feel of the strings is just funky. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This wouldn't be my first choice for live play. I got it for my daughter and even she took the tremulo bar off. I would gig with it if it were my backup and I needed a quick pick. I expect the pots and coils to need replacement in two years when it will become my daughter's backup guitar - she understands the need for a backup. // 5

Overall Impression: I play blues, my daughter is rock. We've been noodling about for 4 years Other gear includes three Acoustic guitars (Garrison, Jasmine, Yamaha), one Vintage Fender Mustang, Yamaha keyboard, harmonicas + microphone, ... For the price the guitar is pretty good. I should have asked about setup when getting it. If stolen/lost? It is a beginners pack with several months of intensive time on it - I would replace it something intermediate - perhaps a MiM Fender Strat. (Do good, practice a lot, get rewarded with something better.) In the same price range it is a beginners guitar that can be upgraded to sound hot and feel good for those inclined to dabble. As a beginner guitar it compared well with the Epiphone for sound quality. What matters in the guitar is whether the beginner will like the look of it enough to pick it up to play. My daughter practices with the Squier Strat, her friend practices with her red Epiphone Special II... In the beginner range that is what matters the most otherwise they never leave the beginner range. I compared it to other products - the Telecaster (because I liked the sound), the Epiphone (because I liked the look) and went for this one partly because it came as the pack and it felt comfortable. Anything I wish it had? I'll be changing over to some coated strings in a bit. For the pack, it is complete and (almost) ready to play out of the box. (Needed tuning.) People want to say "Squier Sucks" (yeah, I've seen it.) Most of it is pretty Standard stuff. Cheaper equipment that won't last long but you don't have to throw the guitar away... Update what breaks as it breaks and use it as a learning experience for later in life when you want to fix your good guitar. With the little play amp and the headphone jack I can even sneak some practice time in late at night without waking the family - something I couldn't do with my old dreadnaught. // 7

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Classic Vibe 60's Telecaster Custom 9.6 Electric Guitars 08/20/2014