Tele Custom II Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 02/25/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Squier: Tele Custom II
It is a Tele Custom but with Duncan Designed P90's so that is why it is a Custom II. Body is made from Agathis wood, with a maple necks and fretboard.
 Features: 8.7
 7.6
 7.8
 7.3
reviews (3) pictures (2) 13 comments vote for this gear:
Tele Custom II Reviewed by: ferdius, on march 11, 2011

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: Not sure of year, but it is a Tele custom but with Duncan Designed P90's so that is why it is a Custom II. Body is made from Agathis wood, with a maple necks and fretboard. Has individual volume and tone controls, decent tuners (sealed) and tele Bridge that strings thru body. Has Les Paul style pickup selector on the upper bout of guitar. Tele body, sold w/o case or any accessories. // 8

Sound: The guitar sounds good, very good. The tone is very reminiscent of the late 60's sound from guitars with P90's I use it with a Line 6 Spider amp and can get some good tones. It's great for bluesy, raunchy southern type rock and when clean can get a good variety of tones. The hum from the pickups are there, but that is the price you pay for single coil pickups. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Okay, this guitar has turned into a slight project, I replaced the pots and am very happy now. This one has a good neck which is hit or miss with Squier so I am lucky. The color is Vintage blonde (yellow) which looks good, but chips easily. I figure I am going to have to replace the input jack as it cuts out, and the housing that it locks into to go into the body falls out occasionally. The rest of the guitar is good, but overall, the attention to detail could have been a lot better. // 5

Reliability & Durability: While the guitar will withstand live playing, it is one that will require maintenance. The hardware seems to hold up okay, but I have a feeling I will have to keep on top of it. The finish should last, but again, it chips easily so while the finish is thick enough, I still may have to watch it. The strap buttons are solid enough to keep. This does not strike me as a guitar to use without a backup, but it is not my main guitar, although it is used for specific songs. // 6

Overall Impression: I like classic rock, blues, country-rock and some progressive country and this guitar fits in good with country rock and blues. It is also good for 60's British Invasion songs when you want that twangy, bright clean sound. What I like the most about this guitar is the sound and tone, very good, but I am disappointed in the attention to detail that was given when the guitar was made. If Fender would invest a little in this, the Squier line would be a great value for everyone, not just beginners or intermediate players, although some of the "standard" Fenders leave a lot to be desired. I'm fixing this guitar up so it will be better, I don't mind putting work into it as I really like this guitar and it has potential. // 6

Tele Custom II Reviewed by: Necronomicon, on march 15, 2011

Price paid: C$ 350

Purchased from: Musicplex

Features: I've owned this guitar for something like 6 years and have only decided to write a review because no offense to the other guy but I don't feel the previous review did it much justice.. I've thoroughly enjoyed playing this guitar every once in a while instead of my more expensive guitars. My guitar is a 2004 (I think) bought new for $350 at a now bankrupt music store. I bought this guitar because I wanted a cheap jazz/blues guitar and this guitar sounded good to me in the store. It sports a maple neck and fretboard with an agathis body. It has a solid black finish with a black pickguard, nothing fancy but it holds up and looks fine. The guitar's got a separate volume and tone control for each pickup with a 3 way selector, which is very useful and makes for a good variety of tones. It has duncan-designed P90s. For the price, the AMOUNT of features on this guitar are about as much as you'd get buying any other telecaster. // 9

Sound: My music style has gone through a wide variety of changes throughout the 10 years I've played. This guitar fulfills my blues quota VERY well, therefore I mostly use it for clean or slightly overdriven tones. With the pickup selector and separate volume knobs, you can get everything from a smooth blues sound to a country twang or crunch. Flipping on the distortion, it actually does that reasonably well also. I have other guitars I use for heavier rock but if I needed to in a pinch I would have no problem using this guitar. For the clean sounds I use this guitar for, it's sound is amazing. It blows me away how such good sound can come from such a cheap guitar, especially a stock one. As for amps, when I first bought this guitar I was playing on a line 6. It sounded ok on that amp but it never blew me away. Later on I bought a Laney LC30 and the sound through that amp was mighty fine. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't remember how well set up the guitar was from the factory because shortly after I bought it I messed around with the action and pickups to get it the way I wanted it. It wasn't hard to adjust it to my preferences. There weren't any hardware flaws like messed up frets or sharp edges, however the controls did come loose and break easily. On the other hand, that applies to the next section not this one. 6 years later, nothing has oxidized or become unfixable. The only annoying unfixable thing I find is the input jack, which seems to be shaped wrong and keeps loosening itself no matter how tight it is set. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Now here's the kicker. This is a squier. It's hardware and workmanship are nothing compared to it's counterpart. This guitar is not durable at all. Sure its solid and can take a hit, but parts break on it all the time. I mentioned the input jack before. The ring around the pickup selector fell off and now the selector is wobbly. The tone and volume knobs are extremely annoying and constantly undo themselves and become loose. The tuners don't hold up for long periods of time. The Bridge pickup died on me after something like 1 or 2 years. I just started using the neck pickup only when I played the guitar because I didn't play it too often. Finally after I got my new amp I decided to begin tinkering with guitars and I opened the pickguard and took a look at the electronics. 2 wires had broken free from their soldering to one of the pots, which caused the Bridge pickup to stop working. I soldered them back together and could once again enjoy the full range of this guitar. // 4

Overall Impression: So what's my overall impression of this guitar? Well, it sounds amazing, like it should cost way more. However, it's details let it down. Replace the hardware and the pots and you've got one SOLID guitar. Personally, I never did that because it's not my main guitar and I just don't care enough to do so. In addition to this guitar I also own a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR, an old BC Rich Warlock and Acoustic and classical guitars. There's not really much I wish I asked before I bought this guitar because it really is a great sounding guitar if you have the patience to maintain it. If it was lost or stolen, I'd be angry but eventually wouldn't really care that much. It's served its purpose and it's about time I upgraded it anyway. The only thing I sometimes wish it had is better tuners. Everything else is bearable. // 8

Tele Custom II Reviewed by: Darius1079, on february 25, 2014

Purchased from: Swee Lee Music Pte Ltd

Features: This Indonesia made Squier features a 22 fret, 25.5" maple fretboard with medium jumbo frets. I bought mine in the vintage blonde finish, though it also comes in black. It has two Duncan Designed P90-2s. 2 pairs of volume and tone controls and a three way pickup selector. It features a string through body hardtail bridge and die cast tuning machines. It has an agathis wood body with polyester body finish. It also has a skunk stripe that runs down the back of the neck, which is rather cool in my opinion. // 9

Sound: Although P90s may not be everyone's cup of tea, they provide a really rounded and warm tone. The bridge pickup is also very snappy and great for lead playing. I usually play rock, blues,and certain kinds of funk, and this guitar sounds great regardless of genre. When played with distortion, this guitar really wails. It has two single coils which results in humming, but I think the humming on this guitar is manageable and can even be used to a player's advantage. I usually play my guitar through a Vox Mini5 Rhythm. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the box, my guitar was set-up perfectly and was ready to play (after tuning of course). There are only a few minor flaws, such as screws not being properly screwed in and control knobs not being inserted properly, but that is what you get for the price you pay, which is really not that bad. The bridge was properly adjusted too. The finish is closer to a cream colour than the classic butterscotch blonde colour, and is rather thick. I've only had my guitar for slightly over a month, but I feel that it will age pretty nicely. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't used it live yet, though I'm itching to. Some of the hardware, like the knobs and toggle switch, do feel a little flimsy, but nevertheless, they're easily replaceable. Anyway, this is one of the ways that Squier cuts it costs to make affordable guitars, which they have done a great job of. The strap buttons are pretty solid though they may be a bit too small to accommodate certain guitar straps. I would use this live definitely, wouldn't worry much about needing a backup. As I said earlier, the finish is pretty thick, and wearing it off just raises it's price tag essentially. // 8

Overall Impression: For rock, blues or any genre in general, this guitar is simply brilliant. I've been playing for a couple years and this is the first guitar that I have bought for myself. Previously, I was using a relative' guitar, a Fender Jaguar, but I felt that it's pickup's were too trebly. This guitar, on the other hand, has tremendously amazing tone and is really a steal at this price point. Quite a few people have changed the pickups on theirs but I think that the stock pickups are great and even do well against Fenders. The Tele Custom II makes for an excellent starter guitar, or as a backup guitar. I would buy it again, hands down, if I ever lost it. This is simply, one awesome guitar // 9

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Standard Strat 7.5 Electric Guitars 08/25/2014