Telecaster Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 01/14/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Squier: Telecaster
22 frets. 2 volume controls. Ash neck with a maple body. Telecaster body style.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.9
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.2
 Features: 7.9
 7.5
 6.9
reviews (29) pictures (2) 19 comments vote for this gear:
Telecaster Reviewed by: X Alkaline 3, on april 29, 2005

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Features: Made in 2004. Two single coils. 21 frets. A waste of money. My God, this guitar has dissapointed me. I loved it at first, loved it. Until it started to break, slowly but surely. Do not buy this guitar, do not. // 6

Sound: It doesn't really suit anything but classic rock and blues. You can distort it kind of to play metal, but barely. And it doesn't sound that good when you do that. It sounds great for blues, but that's about it. Very bright sound. Not very versatile. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The strings were buzzing when I got it. The jack came loose shortly after. It wasn't set up well at all. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I can't depend on this. Not at all. The jack falls out all the time. 3 times now, in 4 months of owning it. I wouldn't gig with this at all. The finish is weak and is chipped to hell and back. The hardware will not last. // 4

Overall Impression: I wouldn't buy this again. I wish it had humbuckers and one single coil for my blues playing. If I had it to do over again, I would not even deal with this piece of junk. It's my guitar and I love it, but it's always breaking down on me. // 6

Telecaster Reviewed by: dzrice, on march 23, 2009

Purchased from: Dealer

Features: Indonesian, 2008, 22 frets, 25.5" scale, Agathis body (covered in an inch of Poly), string through etc. You know the specs. Bare bones Squier Tele. Maple neck, rosewood board (both done incredibly well - fretwork is spot on, neck is dead strait, profile is great). The body has a verrrry thick coat of Poly on it - which is to be expected on a sub $200 guitar. // 5

Sound: I play in a Blues jam group and in a Punk band. This guitar does well at both. I'm mainly playing through a Peavey Classic 30 and Peavey Classic 50 - this guitar sounds very good. It has that Tele "Twang" that I was looking for. I haven't had any real problems with feedback - nothing that can't be easily controlled. I'm running this guitar through a Metal Muff pedal and a boutique overdrive pedal - as well as plenty of clean channel with a hint of reverb. The bridge pickup is quite hot - sounds good - cuts well. The neck pickup is slightly muddy, but surprisingly good considering the price of the guitar. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Fit and finish were flawless. Which is what you should expect with a Poly finished guitar (as compared to Nitro - which is much more labor intensive and prone to imperfections). As mentioned, the neck and fretwork were great. Factory setup is quite nice - the nut slots are a little high, but that is my only real complaint. I took the bridge saddles down 1/2 turn or so to lower the action some. The neck needed no adjustment. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems to be pretty tough. The tuners are cheap (hell, the whole thing is cheap) but reliable enough. The 3 way Switch isn't very substantial, but functions as it should. I will be gigging with this guitar tomorrow - I got it as a throwaway backup to my Strat - but my poop yellow Squier Strat will be getting some stage time. It plays great, sounds very good, and is a worry free cheap guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: I like this guitar. A lot. This is not my first guitar - nor my tenth or twentieth guitar. I own Vintage and custom shop Gibsons, Vintage and recent American Fenders, and everything in between. I have no desire to take a $4, 000 guitar to a gig at a bar, which was why I bought a a recently - just to gig with. I found that guitar to be simply amazing (Roadworn model 50's Strat). I didn't own any Teles, so figured that I'd play one of the el-cheapo Squiers. I checked out the Affinity Tele, but disliked the bridge setup (a lot - it is a terrible design). I played the Squier Standard Tele, and was quite impressed. It sounds great, plays great, feels great. Just keep in mind what it is. I would not suggest dumping a bunch of money in to upgrades on this guitar. It is a good guitar as it is - but you could easily drop $300 in upgrades to get rid of the "little things" that you may not like about this guitar. It is not worth doing that - just get a Mexican Tele if you want a $500 investment. The pickups, bridge, 3 way, and tuners are the "low points" for me. The pots are garbage as well, but they have been functioning well so far (they're the little tiny Asian 500k pots). I scuffed the finish up on mine a little bit, and have a chip out of the back edge - revealing at least a 1-1.5mm thick Poly "shell" over the wood on the body. Not a big deal - again, what you should expect from a budget guitar - but it is another sign that this is *not* a candidate for high end pickups and hardware upgrades - although a set of GFS pickups (at $50-60/set) may be worth your while. If you are a beginner player, this is an amazing guitar for your money. Get it, play it, love it, cut your teeth, and "move up" to something down the road. If you are a long time player - even semi-pro and gigging - this is a solid guitar, a great backup, fun to play, dirt cheap, reasonably reliable, nice sounding guitar for less than I've spent on a set of pickups. To recap - this is a fun guitar for the money - but not something to dump a bunch of money in to on upgrades. None of the components are great, but the sum of the parts are fantastic considering the price. I highly recommend this guitar to anyone with $200 burning a hole in their pocket Who has been wanting to try a Tele or Who is looking for a reliable worry free cheap backup for gigs. I cannot believe you can get this much guitar for $200. I have guitars that cost me twenty times as much as this guitar, and they are sitting at home in their cases while this guitar goes to the battlefield that is the bar gig scene. As a gigging musician, I cannot say enough about a quality instrument that sounds great but doesn't break the bank, and that you can take to a gig and not have to worry about getting stolen. Two thumbs up. // 10

Telecaster Reviewed by: afirocker00, on january 27, 2005

Purchased from: Music Man's Music Depot

Features: Made in China. 21 Frets. Beautiful maple fretboard. I have the caramel blonde finish, which really compliments the lighter fretboard. The finish is beautiful, however it chips very easily. You have the pickup selectors, there are two pickups, you can play on the neck pickup or the bridge and put it in the middle for both. Stays in tune pretty well. // 8

Sound: It's actually opened up a whole new musical style for me. Since I bought this guitar I have found myself playing more bluesy riffs and soloing a lot. It's got a really "twangy" sound to it, that makes it really stand out and deliver. This is not your guitar if you want darker deeper sounds but for your own tone, this is a nice choice. It also sounds well distorted. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It was pretty much perfect when I bought it. However I'm noticing that the strings need to constantly be raised, as they chime a lot. I had the salesman fix this for me before I bought it, but now, three days later, it's doing the same thing. The strings it comes with are actually pretty nice, it seems usually guitars of this price come equipped with crap strings, but not this one. The finish is very sensitive though. I've noticed two spots on it that are turning to a regular gold color, the guitar is supposed to be a wooden gold type color. It's kind of a dissapointment because the finish really is a beauty. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar does seem like it will last. I wouldn't gig without a backup, but I wouldn't do that even if I had a Vintage Les Paul. The strap buttons are solid and it held my strap very well. // 8

Overall Impression: I wish there was a pickup that had a more solid tone. The two it comes with are both really twangy, which is nice, but sometimes I'd like to get a more deep sound. I love the color and I love the fretboard which is very easy to navigate. I love how it looks and it just makes you wanna grab it and start to play. It looks very vintage-y. God forbid, I lose this guitar. I would probably buy something like an Epiphone Les Paul if I did, because I'm getting into a deeper phase, but this is still a very nice toned guitar. So try it out and see how it feels to you. // 8

Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 26, 2005

Purchased from: Merchant City Music

Features: 2004, 21 frets, solid black finished axe! 1 volume, 1 tone is all this baby needs, 3-way Switch and standard Tele pickups. // 8

Sound: This is my 1st guitar. I was playing a Les Paul but now I insist on playing the Telecaster. I play mostly punk rock, Green Day and the odd rock 'n' roll song. I keep the Switch centered volume and tone maxed. This guitar rocks and I'm glad I left my girlfriend for it! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The axe sounds much clearer thean the Les Paul, it's only been played through a small Marshall amp as I haven't formed the greatest band since AC/DC, yet! It was setup by the store guy. It's their policy to make sure when you buy a guitar, you can rock! I don't have any problems with sharp frets which I've heard a lot of people complain about. This bad boy is smooth. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've never played the guitar on a stage or anything but if it's good enough for Avril Lavigne and Joe Strummer I'm sure it'l be fine. I've got no probs with the line-in or the Switch although! Sometimes I catch the Switch when I'm rocking out. The straps held on fine I've swung the guitar round my bedroom and its put up a good fight. // 8

Overall Impression: Guitar seems to put up with my taste of music, I've been playing for 3 months and was between a Squire Strat or tele as my first guitar. I took a Tele as my mate has a Mexican Strat. Turns out my descision paid of 'cause the Tele backs up the Strat quite well. Shame my mates down in wales and can't join me for a cream dream supreme. // 8

Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 14, 2006

Purchased from: GAK

Features: My Tele was 'crafted in China' in 2005, It's a standard 21 fret maple neck with an alder body in a butterscotch finish. It has a flat tele bridge with 6 standard saddles. It has the normal 3-way switch bridge/dual/neck with volume and tone. All you'd expect from a Squier Tele. // 7

Sound: I play proper Punk style (Clash/Ramones/Buzzcocks) and I also use it for my folk experimentations, the tele is great for both of those styles. I usually run it through a Marshall MG100DFX and occasionally use the chorus effect with it, sounds great and won't give any feedback unless you push it right to the limit (also room size may have a factor). It can cover almost any sound bright tangy cean tones great for country strumming and chuck the pick-up selector in the middle and there's a good full sound available for rock'n'roll. The bridge pick-up selection is excellent for sharp power chords ala Sex Pistols. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought it from the store it felt great and so easy to play, a bit of contact with the frets & strings but once I wore it in it was okay. Everything was where it should be and after a year of hacking away at it, it still is. The paint does chip if the guitar is hit hard on the floor or something and on the bridge pickup there is a tiny speck of rust, but I think that just adds to the character of the guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've used this guitar live a few times and I honestly think that this guitar could out-live me, with a little care. Hardware is basically as new, and can withstand being flooded with sweat. Strap buttons are solid and with a locking strap, can't go much wrong. I would use this guitar without a backup (to preserve strings I recommend a .73 Jim Dunlop pick) and have done so all is well. The finish is slighty chippable, and pick-scratch marks do accumulate over time. // 9

Overall Impression: The guitar is perfect for what I play (see Joe Strummer, Graham Coxon and East Bay Ray), I've been playing it solidly for a year and sounds better than my other ex-guitars. If it was stolen I'd track down another version of mine (2005/China) or possibly get a Squier '72 Custom copy. I love the look of it and the sound of it, the thin neck is also a bonus. The one thing I dislike about it is the fact that the jack plate cracked and I've had to repair it. My favorite feature is the black scratchplate, it completes the guitar in my view. // 8

Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 21, 2003

Purchased from: eBay

Features: 1970 Telecaster, crafted in china, 22 frets. 2 volume controls, fitted with a seymour duncan humbucker S/H/ S H. Ash neck with a maple body. Telecaster body style. White, black scratch plate gig bag. // 10

Sound: I play very fast very heavy, evil sounding death metal style music, but I also have a tendency to play oasis and nirvana when I'm in a quiet mood, and this guitar is the thing for the job, I encourage ANYONE to buy a !!!SQUIRE!!! Telecaster and play it through the best amp money can buy (a seymour duncan 60 watt convertible, made in america, limited adition, 50's amplifier) with a DOD death metal distortion pedal chucked in the middle and you have all the setup you will ever, ever, EVER need. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a bit high but not ridiculously high, it didn't really need setup up differently but I got it done anyway so I could tap easier. The guitar has only one flaw and that is the wiring, when I fitted the new pickup I messed up the wiring, but you get a sound when you use both pickups that rivals any I have ever heard, and I would never change the way it is. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is probably the most durable thing I have ever layed eyes on,I have played live with it and threw it 20 feet in the air, only to see it bounce and be perfectly fine, (it has a tiny chip in the paint where it landed). I would use the guitar on stage without any backup at all it's that good. // 10

Overall Impression: The music I play varies a lot, from oasis, to cradle of filth and the guitar withstands and sounds good with any song by anyone you can think of. It couldn't be better, it plays better than my Gibson les paul AND my Fender Strat, and has a perfect look and sound about it, I think I'm in love. // 10

Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 14, 2004

Purchased from: Music Makers

Features: This is a 20th anniversary Squier Affinity Telecaster, crafted in China. 21 frets, one volume knob, one tone knob, 3 way selector Switch, usual Telecaster pickups S/S. Black, with usual Tele bridge. // 8

Sound: There's one word I can use to describe this guitar's sound: versatile. I originally started out in a sort of punk/grunge band, and the guitar sounded perfect for that, but since then, my band has changed its style, and has evolved its music into the metal genre. After some playing around with the selector Switch positions and the tone knob, I've found it works perfect for that too. Since gigging with it and using it on high power amplifiers, I can never avoid feedback if I use it on the treble pickup, but I don't use the treble anymore anyway, but I thought I better tell you. In general the sound of the guitar can be anything you want it to be, and you can make similar sounds to anything, whether it be Bruce Springsteen or Slayer. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought the guitar, the owner of the shop had already tuned it and adjusted the bridge for optimum performance. The action has always kept fine, apart from recently where the I've had to repeated adjust the part of the bridge for the E string, which keeps going slack, but I'm putting it down to my constant changes between drop D and standard tuning. I've also had problems with the volume and tone knobs, which have become loose and fallen off now and again, and it appears to be a fault found in all Squiers, as my friend who has a Squier P-Bass and J-bass has had his knobs fall off as well. The only other problem with it, which doesn't bother me much, but when I move the selector Switch, it makes this echoey noise, that you can hear through the amp too, and I have recently used this to my advantage in one of our songs as an interesting part in the song. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've already gigged with this guitar a few times, I felt I may have been taking a risk by not having a backup with me, but my doubt has since been disintegrated, as its held out amazingly in those gigs, and provided you make sure everything's good with it before you play, it'll never abandon you. The strap buttons are solid, and show no signs of ever moving. I must admit I've treated it like the dog mess on the bottom of my shoe, but its held out, and there are quite a few chips in it, but that was from an incident unrelated with me, where my drummer's kit fell on top of it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play in a metal band and the guitar works fine, for all the covers we've done from R.A.T.M. to Slayer. I use a 60 watt Peavey, and you can get some good sounds out of it using that. I also use a Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah-Wah, and it sounds great. If I lost it or it was stolen, I'd get another guitar, I am planning to get another one soon, but this will stay as a backup definitely. I'm planning to get some new pickups for it soon, to try and achieve some heavier sounds out of it. I mainly bought it because I thought it looked good, the price seemed reasonable, and I had seen them used by many artists I like, and so many Tele owners can't be wrong. // 8

Telecaster Reviewed by: Blueherm, on june 14, 2004

Purchased from: LA

Features: - 21 frets - Neck and bridge pikcup Not alot of features. It's nice and simple, just like what a Telecaster should be. But what's the point having features on this thing anyway? We love the Tele because it's simple and being simple is cool. // 6

Sound: Listen to a Fender Telecaster and a Squier Telecaster. You won't tell the difference. There's something about it that makes it have that 'ring' that a genuine Fender would have. The type of music that suits me varies. I play punk, classic rock, metal, everything. And the Squier has not let me down. It's just the occassion new set strings that is needed (my strings are pretty much gone black). I have no complaints at all. Afterall, it is a Telecaster, not a copy. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This is the let down. I've counted about 20 paint chips on my blue Tele. You'd be amaze how thin the layer of paint is. You could probably use your nail to scratch the paint off (Yes. It is unbelievably thin!) Don't buy this guitar if you want it to be mint all the way through. Because no matter how much you polish it, it will eventually wear off. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Well, the paint job is bad, but the quailty is amazing. You could probably throw it onto the wall and it will still be fine. I dropped mine on to a wooden floor and it did more damage on the floor than on the guitar. I can't spot a single quality flaw. As it is a Squier, you may think this Asian-made axe is gonna have plenty of problems, but the Chinese have done a brilliant job and there's hardly anything wrong with it. Just the odd-paint job. // 10

Overall Impression: Well, as it may seem, Squier isn't exactly a proper Fender quality. But it has a quality of it's own. You shouldn't be ashamed of the Squier badge on the headstock. For a price like this it's the biggest bargain ever. Try it and see it for your self. You will not be disappointed. // 8

Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 28, 2004

Purchased from: McMeekins Music Northern Ireland

Features: The Telecaster I purchased was a 2003 Squier standard Tele, I had owned quite a few different electric guitars and this was the first one I felt suited me ideally, it has 22 medium jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard which is rather good quality, it is the standard tele configuration (two single coil pickups, with three way selector Switch and one tone and one volume control). The 3 colour sunburst finish is surprisingly well done and quite striking, the tuners and bridge aren't the Vintage tele style however going with fenders more modern types but I prefer them anyway, the bridge saddles in particular, being indepently adjustable, are I think an improvement though this may put off some purists, the neck is almost perfect for my playing style, being let down by being not quite wide enough at the lower frets, the body itself is quite heavy and has no contours but again that would take away from the Telecaster feel. // 10

Sound: Firstly, the unplugged tone is great on this guitar, making it quite nice to play along without upsetting neighbours, flatmates or anyone else, plugged in the guitar really comes to life the bridge pickup can cover a whole range of tones very well indeed, whilst still retaining that classic Telecaster sound, so much so my guitar tutor fell in love with it when he played it and proceeded to spend five minutes playing some pretty nifty country riffs, the neck pickup however can sound a little weak and thready, and I tend not to use it very often, however a pickup upgrade is on the cards quite soon. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The only blemish to the guitar on purchase was some minor damage to a small area of the wood on the fretboard at the 20th fret around the area of strings 5 and 6, however it was the only one in the shop, my mind was made up, and it makes no difference to the playing of the guitar, the action however needed to be setup as there was quite a bit of string buzzing and I was gutted at having to leave the shop without it for a few days. The finish is great, although a friend of mine when he borrowed it had a nasty habit of forcing his plectrums underneath the scrathplate area above the strings and there are now some scratches there, along with a fairly significant scratch running down from the top of the guitar to the scratchplate. // 6

Reliability & Durability: My playing style can be quite heavy and aggressive, but I have yet to break a single string on this guitar, and it manages to stay in tune quite well whilst I'm punishing it, apart from the scratch in the body caused by somebodys carelessness there are no major blemishes and I would be quite happy to take this guitar anywhere without a backup, however I do find that I have to use strap locks as the strap buttons don't seem to keep the strap loops in very well. // 10

Overall Impression: I have to say this is my favourite guitar, it even beats my Fender Standard Strat, I'm now saving my pennies for an American Deluxe, but where that not the case and my baby were to burst into flames tomorrow I would buy another one, I may still buy some decent pickups for it, AVN do some nice ones. But bearing in mind that I like to play a bit of everything this guitar fits the bill, the lack of sustain is easily rectified by the use of the compressor on my Multi-FX unit and combined with that almost any sound is acheivable, but when it's quiet time, I can still sit in a comfy chair and jam along with something over my headphones without worrying about an anti-social behaviour order. So I would have to say to anyone starting out, or anyone looking for a budget option Telecaster, look no further, just don't buy the Affinity one, I tried one of those in the shop and it's in a completely different league to this beauty. // 10

Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 13, 2004

Purchased from: Academy Of Sound

Features: This guitar was manufactured in 2004 in Indonesia. It has 22 medium jumbo frets. It has a C-shape maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard with a radius of 9.5" (241mm). It has an agathis body with a solid top. It has a polyurethane finish, a Telecaster body, a 6 saddle string-thru body bridge. It has a volume control, a tone control, and a 3-way selector Switch. It has 2 alnico magnet single-coil pickups. One in the bridge position and one in the neck position. It has standard die-cast tuners. It also features unique features: gold decal logo, engraved neckplate, white plastic parts, & dot position inlays. // 10

Sound: I play a lot of Avril Lavigne. I run my guitar through a Marshall MG series amplifier, with a Marshall Jackhammer overdrive/distortion fx pedal. I also use a korg DT-3 digital tuner & Jim Dunlop 0.73mm Tortex picks. This guitar can adapt to any style of music. When I play it on the clean channel, it sounds like an acoustic guitar which is perfect for what I play, and when I add overdrive it gives a biting sound, depending on the settings you use. It is not a very noisy guitar because it doesn't have humbuckers, but it is very adaptable for any style of music. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was perfectly set-up when I purchased it. The end of the selector Switch fell off on the day I purchased it, but it was easy to repair. Other than that the guitar was in excellent condition. All the hardware seems like it will last. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I play a lot of gigs and I play without a back-up. This guitar seems like it will withstand live performances. It is very reliable on stage. I went to the music store to purchese a Fender Standard Telecaster, but the music store said Squier's have better fittings, so it must be good and reliable. The strap buttons are solid, (unlike like other guitars I have previously owned), the strap doesnt fall off because of it's chunky strap buttons. The hardware will last. The finish is very good. I use this guitar for my gigs without a back-up as it is very reliable. // 10

Telecaster Reviewed by: godofshred, on october 25, 2004

Features: I have no clu what year theis is from. It has the standard 21 maple frets and a slim, playable neck. The colour is butterscothe with a ice white pick guard, it has a laminated (and chipped!) top. The finish is semi-transparent so you can see the nice wood grain and obvoisly has a tele body style! // 8

Sound: It suits my music style well and is a very comfortable, chunky body. I am soon goind to but a Korg AX1500G so that should improve the sound greatly! It has a slightly muddy/grungy sound but can be cleaned on an amp to a fantastic woody melody! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The Tele was set up well appart from glue on the fretboard (a little) but was easily sorted! The pickups are ver sharp and loud which I find very inviting. The nut is a little low but I am (hopefull) after a new guitar (not to replace it, ill keep the tele!) whith a hicher nut cough! Stratocaster! Cough which will be used for the type of music needin a higher nu ie. Hendrix - strng bending ect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will with stand live playing and the hardware is hardwearing (sorry for the pun!) and will be put to its tests soon! I wouldn't use it without a backup as it could (but hasn't yet) go bad. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, acoustic, grunge and punk but also dabble in others! I've been playin around 2 years now and own a Marshal G15CD. I hopfully may be getting a Korg AX1500G aswell. I am 13 and preddy good for my ageand have reviewed my amp aswell. // 10

Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 30, 2005

Features: This Squier model was made in 2003 I believe, in Indonesia. It's got 22 frets with a solid top. The body is made of agathis/alder and the neck is maple with a skunk stripe with a rosewood fretboard. Candy apple red finish. The bridge is a standard Tele bridge but it strings through the body which adds slightly to the sustain. The features of this guitar aren't bad really. The only problems are the tuners aren't the best, the lack of color options and fretboard woods. // 6

Sound: The sound is surprisingly authentic. It has a very defined twang, exceedingly so in the bridge pickup. The amp I use it was in a 100 Watt Fender FM. Obviously the sound of the Tele is very bright and somewhat grainy in a way in the bridge. The neck pickup is much more bassy, almost muddy. The pickups are Vintage which means you can get nearly any kind of sound out of it with just a little tuning of the amp controls. The bridge and neck positions are a little to the extreme but the second position is purely amazing. I would advise raising the pickups because they are a little weak in the output department. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action of the guitar was a little out of place and I still have problems. I can't seem to get the strings as low as I want them without fret buzz cutting me off. The pickups were fine until I starting playing with them and now I've got a problem to fix when I get back to my guitar. I've had no problems with the hardware, just the pot being a little dirty. I need to replace them but it has been a couple of years since I bought this guitar. This guitar does contain some flaws. The problem that I have with all Squiers (excluding the new series they came out with) is the frets aren't filed properly and can really agitate your fingers. It's not serious but a guitar shouldn't be sold to the public with a flaw such as this. Also the tuners are a little junky in a way. They don't screw into the headstock, they're held in place by a nut which consitutes the tuner to rattle when changing strings which is more an annoyance than a problem. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has withstood live playing. It's an alright guitar just as long as you don't mess with it once you've got it set up properly. It'll be fine to play after it's set up. The hardware isn't bad on it, just a pot and selector Switch needs replacing but it has been a couple of years so I can understand that. The strap buttons have given me no troubles at all. Also the input jack has also been good to me, not coming loose at all. It's very dependable just leave it like it is, or get a professional to help you fix it up. I like to take things apart and see how they work and that's what led me to a few problems. My fault, I understand this. The finish really hasn't given me any guff. I've had it bump, fall, smash, grind and slip several times and the finish has stayed intact. I would reccommend changing the chrome dome knobs though to maybe speed knobs to give you some control over what you're playing. // 6

Overall Impression: I play anything I want, which means I play everything. It can do a lot of what I throw at it. Country and blues can be played on it very easily without touching any of the knobs on the amp, but if you want to play metal then just set your amp accordingly (treble and bass up, middle down) and you're fine. I've been playing for 5 1/2 years. I also own another Squier, Standard Stratocaster, Ibanez RG170, Ibanez AF75, Ibanez Talman acoustic, Hondo Deluxe 775. I wish I would have asked the guys at Georges to file down the damn fret edges. I would probably buy this guitar again if it was lost or stolen or if I wreck it anytime soon. I really love how it sounds and plays and all, I just can't stand a few little things that bug the hell outta me. There are a few things I wish were different about this guitar. I wish the bridge wasn't string-thru and modern, I want it to be Vintage with the three barrel setup. I wish the pickups had better output and I wish the bridge pickup's screws went through the pickguard so I could adjust it easier. Overall I like this guitar and it sounds really good to me. I was playing a '60s Tele at Georges recently and I was noticing my Squier had more twang to it than the Fender. The quality on the Fender was ten times better but the sound wasn't quite right. Sometimes the sound is more important. // 8

Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 21, 2006

Features: I'm not too sure on the exact specs for this guitar, but I'm sure the other reviews have got it, but it's the basic 2 single coiled pickups on a 3-way selector Switch on a Tele style bridge with a single volume and tone controls. // 6

Sound: Basically, I have this guitar for playing clean. I've played it with a DigiTech Death Metal distortion, but lets face it, it's not really built for playing metal at all. In fact if you ever want a guitar that can do an impression of a pig about to be slaughtered, then feed this guitar through a high gain distortion pedal and hear it squeal! Clean, the overall sound is very warm as you would expect for a Telecaster, due to the big body, but I tend to find that the bridge pickup is a bit ratty (which I replaced) and the neck pickup sometimes lacks definition on more treble based stuff, but its only Squier, if you want a superb clean sound, get the Fender vertion, but this guitar is good for a budget. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I've had this guitar now for years, and it's getting a bit beaten up as you can probably imagine. The paint comes off quite easily, but luckly mine is all black and I just paint over the nicks with black nail polish. That's the only cosmetic flaw. The body is built nicly. The pickups were lowish when I got it, but raised them up a long time ago due to the inadiquate power output of the pickups, I also adjucted the action as soon as I got it to fit my preferances, and actually, the action is lovely! I've got it almost as low as it gets, and with the next's shape it plays like a dream, and have hade some praise for it (in fact the only reason I still have it is because of the action). Sadly, this is the only praise I will give it, because as much as I love the action, there is far too many things wrong with this guitar. The first is the jack plate. The original one I got was plastic, and when I took it to its first gig, the practice we had before, I somehow yanked it out, but because the angel the cable is set at, and the shoddy plastic plate just gave way and broke, sending the electronics out of the body. The other problem I have is the wood used for the construction is Auful. Due to that plate problem, it took me a while to get a replacement, once I did, the wood around where you screw it back in had become scrubbed, so its now duck taped in. Also the electonics inside it twist around, and snap off, making the guitar an acoustic! I've just sent it off for repair Again yesterday due to this problem. The other bad thing, but tends to be a Telecaster flaw is the tele bridge. It's metal, and therefore cannot do too much major customisation unless you pay for the Fender humbucker bridge for Telecasters (like the '71 Custom I think it is). Also the singlecoils are entirely different to Strat ones, which means if you want to just put some other kind of single coil pickup in the bridge (or a hotrail like I'm planning because I got a Fender one in there and its still a bit ratty and I like a thicker sound) it becomes a problem as the Telecaster ones are harder to pickup. Apart from that, it's good for its price, and if your're thinking of retrofitting a guitar on the cheap, then it's worth thinking about. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is not what I would call reliable for playing live. I'm just glad I had a problem during the practice before the performance rather then during the set, otherwise id probably have broken the damned thing so make sure you have a backup nearby if your planning to use it for a clean guitar. I'd also invest in getting new strap buttons for strap locks or larger strap buttons, as the ones on the Telecaster are thin, and I've had the strap fall off many a time, especially with the auful Fender straps you get with it (if you have a Fender strap, bin it). Also rememeber not to throw it about becuase the wood is cheap, I haven't had a major incident yet. // 5

Overall Impression: The reason I got this guitar was because I wanted somthing cheap to learn on, but over the years, it's been relegated to my clean guitar, because it's still got a nice clean sound for a cheap guitar, which I basically run through a Marshall MG100DFX, but it's a recording guitar, or the only guitar I have in standard tuning (I mostly play metal) so if I get a tab or GP tab, and the songs in standard, I'll use my Telecaster, and yes, it has lovly action once you tinker with it (such as lowering the action and 9 guage strings). If this guitar was stolen, I'd probably be given it back once the theif realised what he's got (I removed the company's logo), but if I lost it forever, I'd probably actually get a new one seen as there cheap, and there nice guitars for playing clean (it's probably the best guitar under 200 for playing clean). Also the action once adjusted is beutiful, not sure if its as good as a Yamaha Pacifica 112, but it would give it a run for its money! So remember, the basic rules of this guitar, cheap and sounds nice clean. If you don't have much money, and either play jazz/blues/country/indy then get this but if your playing metal/hard rock avoid like the plague. // 7

Telecaster Reviewed by: les_paul_01, on january 21, 2006

Features: As I got this used I don't have any specific details about the guitar, but I still do know a little. It is a Squier Standard Telectaser, judging by the wear and tear on it is a quite recent model, made in Indonesia. It has 22 medium frets, and a antique burst finish. Although generally teles come with a singlecoil in the neck position, mine has a humbucker. And like most Teles I've seen it has a slanted single coil bridge pickup. It has a 3-way selector, a volume and a tone. // 7

Sound: The Tele is famous for its twang, and with the bridge pickup on its own this very obvious. However the bridge pickup makes it quite versatile, with a much more open warm sound. I use it with a 30w Fender trannie amp, which works ok with it. I play a variety of styles and this suits it fine. Although generally the humbucker is better with distortion, the singlecoil works even better, with more clarity and definition. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This was set-up by the helpful guy at the store where I bought it used. He did a pretty job, and it is easy to play without sacrificing tone. Unfortunately the sustain on the bottom 2 strings could be better, or this may be a common tele problem (I wouldn't know I've only played 2 others). Another problem is that the G string wasn't set up as well as the others and I have a few intonation problems with it (mainly on the bottom frets). And the nut that holds the lead jack was loose when I bought it (which I learnt later to my dismay when it fell straight out of the guitar, only being held on by 2 thin wires). // 6

Reliability & Durability: Although I haven't gigged it yet (seeing as I'm not in a band), this guitar seems like it could withstand playing live. The hardware feels like it would last me at least a few years. As I use straploks I can twirl my guitar around without it coming loose. If I gigged with it I probably would bring my brother's guitar as a backup. // 7

Overall Impression: This guitar suits my style of music fine, because of it's different pickups. I've been playing for 3 years and it doesn't restrain my playing in any major way. If it got stolen/lost and I survived my parents trying to kill me, then I would probably just graduate to a Fender Tele. Apart from a few minor flaws, its well made and feels like it would last a bit. // 7

Telecaster Reviewed by: guacomole, on february 24, 2006

Features: Made in China 2005 model, fast thin neck very smooth, 21 frets, alder body with maple neck, butterscotch color (very yellowish doesn't realy look like a Vintage Fender Tele), one tone and one volume pot, two single coils. // 8

Sound: I play mostly blues and rock and lots of solos along with rhythm but I play all styles of music. I usually play it through my 10 watt Crate practice amp but I have also played it through a Fender FM212 at guitar center. Through both amps it is very versitile, the bridge pickup is bright and has lots of bite (what do you excpect from a Tele) and when the selector is in the middle position the guitar has a nice rounded tone. The bridge pickup is very warm and I love using it for ryhtm or almost acoustic like sounds. It can have lots of feedback especially in the bridge position. Overall the sound is great and it has good tonal range but the feedback is pretty bad which brings the rating down which would otherwidse be a 9. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: As with most all low priced guitars and squiers, the guitar was not set up very well at all but you can just tell the people at guitar center to adjust the neck and action. The only flaw I found (not realy a flaw just poor design I guess) was the bridge, if you strum the bottom string (thickest) for long periods of time, the saddle will fall rapidly and cause this horrible string buzz. The other saddles hold up fairly well and just need to be adjusted from time to time, but this one sometimes needs to be adjusted after just one day of heavy playing. Other than that the wood was very good, especially on the neck which is exeptionally smooth and thin. The routing is of poor quility, if you lift the cover to the Switch, volume and tone knobs you see lots of wood chips. The finsih also had some minor flaws, nothoing realy noticable though. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I definatly would not bring this guitar to a gig (or any guitar in this price range), just because of its feedback and I wouldnt have faith in the hardware. The finish does wear of fairly easily, and I made the mistake of leaning it againt my amp all the time until I discovered a big line were the finish had rubbed off. // 5

Overall Impression: I'm a intermermediate/begginer and this is my first guitar, and its a great guitar if your starting out. If you want to stand out from everyone getting Squier Strats than this is a great alternative, I prefer this to my cousins Squier Strat. It has a great tonal range and unless you play gigs the feedback isnt realy a problem. If it were stolen I would probly go with something better off now that I am more experienced. This guitar has fuffiled my expepactations, I wanted a decent begginer guitar with a this neck and wide tonal range, I knew it was gonna have crappy hardware for this price. Overall, in this price range, this guitar is as good as it gets. // 8

Telecaster Reviewed by: Sun of a Studio, on march 20, 2006

Purchased from: Georges Music

Features: I bought this guitar in 2003, it was made in Indonesia. It has 22 frets, with a rosewood fretboard, maple neck and skunk stripe. Solid top, made of Agathis wood. The finish is Candy Apple Red, of course it's Tele. I had a Vintage style three-barrel bridge with ashtray cap put on it. The tuners, were just normal non-locking but I put Grover tuners on it. Since I changed the guitar a little, I'll review it as I would as if I hadn't changed anything. // 9

Sound: I play many different styles of music, including country, blues, jazz and all forms of rock n' roll. This guitar does the job perfectly in all forms. I and playing this guitar through a Kustom 10-Watt and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. To be honest, any guitar going through the HRD is going to sound amazing. It's too noisy, especially on the neck pickup. On the bridge it's a little noisy but what can I say? This guitar gets the perfect twang sound out of it, no matter what anyone else says. It sounds like I'm playing right along with Johnny Cash whenever I fire up Folsom Prison Blues. It really has that twang on the bridge pup. On the neck, it still shows just enough twang through. It's in no way muddy, thankfully. This guitar can really out perform if you play country, or rockabilly. Turn the tone down and you've got a guitar suited for jazz. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Georges Music has a quirk, where they'll put all the finely set up guitars for the customers, and keep guitars with high action in the back. The action on mine wasn't too good, but it was an easy fix. The pickups were just fine, haven't had to move them since I got it. The few flaws pretaining to this guitar are a the frets aren't filed perfectly, though they aren't that bad really. I was in Georges today and played a Texas Tele by Fender and a $700 Fender with a Koa body and the frets were filed exactly the same way. The finish is perfect and the wood is just fine. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar plays better than most, surprisingly. I played with it live many times without a backup and even recorded a cd with it. It has not failed me ever. The hardware is fine tuned, I must tell you. The input jack doesn't come loose, the bridge (or rather, old bridge) did it's job superbly, as well as the saddles, and the tuners were solid as well. The only reason I changed them is because I had a very nice surplus of money and figured why not? The stock tuners were very good, but Grover tuners are great. This guitar has been slammed against the outside of my house, which is brick, the paint didn't chip, the body didn't dent. There is not one chip or dent in this guitar, and I do not baby it in any way. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said, I play country, blues, jazz and all forms of rock n' roll. This guitar could be my only and it would still suit those styles of music better than anything else I've played on. I have been playing for five years, almost six. I own an Ibanez Artcore AF75 and Fender Standard Strat in a Midnight Wine finish. My Telecaster, does, without a doubt, beats it. If it were stolen I would not buy it again because my money would go to a shotgun to kill whoever stole my favorite guitar. Yes I would buy it again, no matter what happened to it. I would get another Standard Tele by Squier if they had another finish that I liked as much as I like this one. I love it because it's a solid little guitar that didn't cost me too much money. I love the sound because so many people will say that you can't get a twang out of a Squier. They are dead wrong, they obviously haven't heard this guitar play. Today I played on two Fender teles, two Master Series Squier teles and an Affinity Squier tele. My Squier Standard Telecaster beats every single guitar I played today. The Fenders were a Texas Tele and one was $700 made of Koa. I can't remember that name of it though. The Texas had string buzz on the bridge and the strings weren't in line with the barrel grooves, although it did have the traditional tele twang. The Koa was too bassy and didn't exactly have the twang I was looking for. The Master Series Squiers had good sound, but were no where near twangy. The Affinity on the other hand didn't buzz and did have spot on twang, although thanks to the modifications I performed on my Standard, it sounds a bit better than all of them. As for wishing it had something. Well I already put on a Vintage brdige and grover tuners. It really doesn't need anything else. Honestly. This is my favorite guitar, and it suits me better than anything else. I'm even thinking about selling my Fender Strat so I can buy a Squier Standard Strat. // 10

Telecaster Reviewed by: jeff234, on june 16, 2006

Features: Agathis body, maple neck, made in china, pretty small frets, maple fingerboard, Tele bridge and electronics. I wanted a tele for my first guitar and this is what I could afford. // 7

Sound: I play blues and blues rock and occasionaly do some shred, it was pretty versitile and the pickups were surprisingly decent. It did feed back a lot at high gain, but for clean blues its fine. Bridge pickup is ultra bright and sounds awesome at meduim distortion. The neck and neck/bridge pickup make a nice warm, clapton like bluess sounds. I played it mostly through a Crate practice amp, but also through a nice Fender tube at guitar center. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This is were things started to go downhill. The woods, and the neck were realy nice, the neck was as good as any Fender neck, but all the hadware, setup, and finish is junk. The bridge very insecure and after a few days of hard playing the action will start to get incocsistent. Any way you configure it the low E string will buzz, along with some other minor buzzing from the other wound strings. The harware is very cheap, the jack plate is made out of weak plastic unlike the Fender round metal ones, and I broke mine about 2 months after I got it, causing the wires to hang out and the input to eventualy rip of the cords, forcing me to play it acoustically and miss out on perhaps the only thing this guitar had going for it (tone). Also, I dont think there is a factory replacement for this jackplate. // 4

Reliability & Durability: As far as the finish goes, it chips easily, but I don't mind if it sounds good. The hardware is crap and I woulkd never bring this to a gig. Tuners don't stay in tune at all either. Overall, a very cheap guitar, Fender is obviosly just trying to use their name here. // 4

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about a year, but I got this as my first guitar about 6 months ago. I have had experience with other electric guitars all my life because most of my uncles play. The tone is above average for its price, and the neck is excellent, but the hardware prevents this from being a good guitar. I would not buy this again, and not recommend it to a begginer. // 5

Telecaster Reviewed by: whitestripe22, on july 11, 2006

Purchased from: musicianshop.com

Features: Made in 2006 in china, the guitar has the standard 21 frets for a tele, I think that's standard anyway. The neck is maple, abd the body appears to be of alder. It has a black finish, which when I got it from the dealer was almost perfect, however I noticed that there was a faint mark running down the back of the body. The controls that are available with the guitar are a 3-way switch between neck and bridge pickups and a volume and tone knob. I think the pickups are standard Squier pickups, both singlecoil. They both give off alot of humming which I suppose you expect with a budget guitar, It could easily be changed by purchasing new pickups. // 8

Sound: The guitar suits my style OK. I tend to play Indie or alt rock such as Arctic Monkeys or the cure. If you have an amp with a distortion channel or a distortion pedal the guitar sounds great. I mainly use it without distortion but the switch on the bridge pickup, which gives a nice(ish) smooth warm bluesy tone. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar from the factory I thought the action was a bit too high, but it can easily be changed with the allen keys supplied. Overall the finish was of a high standard apart from the blemish running down the back of the body. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've used the guitar for two gigs now, and it didnt fail on me. The strings are yet to snap but that's not really anything to do with the actual guitar. The strap buttons are solid and don't seem like falling out (touchwood). If given the choice I wouldn't gig without backup, but I wouldn't do that it even if I had a Gibson Les Paul. The finish of the guitar does chip quite easily though. However with it being a budget guitar I wouldn't mind, plus it adds to its character. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall I think it is a solid begginers guitar. Thats it. It has a few faults but I would recomend it to the guitarist who doesn't want to spend big money on a guitar. I've been playing for 3 years and only started playing electric guitar last year, this was my first one. If it were stolen I'd probably claim the insurance money on it and save for a better model. // 7

Telecaster Reviewed by: electricity696, on august 15, 2006

Features: I have a couple good accessories. They are in very good shape and are very realiable. I have a great hard case with a shoulder strap and a leather handle that is great. My strap is a custom strap with Texas longhorns written across it. I have a 30 foot cable cord that helps me get around my room and stretch out to a great distance it is wonderful. // 10

Sound: My guitar suits my music style very great. I use a 30 watt amplifier with great effects I can use, I have treble, gain, and many more! My guitar is in between it's noisy with a soft touch added to it it has a rich and very full sound. My guitar can make many sounds like a techno sound, blues sound, heavy sound, light sound and I can even put all of these sounds together. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar was set up actually very good at the factory. The action was very wonderful. The pickups are pretty good but not to the best of what they could be. It has an okay bookmatched top but my bridge was alligned perfectly. My guitar does contain some flaws there are some finish flaws like my tuning pegs they are a little loose but it's not much of a problem. And my pick guard was put on a little to loose but I was able to tighten it up so it's okay now. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think my guitar will withstand live playing to an extent. After a while of playing my tuning pegs get a little loose like I to you early and my tuning gets a little weird but other than that it performs great. Then hardware seems like it will last for a very long period in the exception of my tuning pegs. My strap buttons are very solid and reliable so I don't have to worry about my strap comming off while I'm playing. Yes I can depend on this guitar to a great extent. I would proudly use it in a gig without a backup no doubt. The finish seems like it would last for a long amount of time and through tough conditons. // 9

Overall Impression: I like to play a lot of slow deep tuned music so it is a pretty good match for myself. I have been playing for about 8 months. I own 1 other guitar it's a good begginer guitar made by Fender about 25 inches long and in good shape. No not really I am happy with my purchase and glad I make it. I think I would like to get another kind just to see if I liked that kind more than my other guitar. I'm pretty happy with my guitar the way it was so nothing at all. // 8

Telecaster Reviewed by: peever, on september 09, 2006

Purchased from: toews music

Features: I got the special edition of the tele, this guitar is a 2006, made in indeonesia. solid 3 peice alder body. The "special edition" just means a nice glossy thick butterscotch finish, it has a I think polyurethane finished maple neck and fingerboard. non locking tuners, classic passive tele pickups, a 3-way switch, volume and tone. Also features a 6 saddle tele bridge. Not bad for my preferences although I've done very extensive customization to this guitar, so I'll give it a 7 I guess. // 7

Sound: I'm plugging it strait into a little Vox amp that I found for 150 bucks (fairly new). in the neck position it gives a bright metallic sound if you have the tone at 10, and a mellower bright sound with the tone at 1. The bridge pickup is where this guitar shines through, you can get a perfect blues tone with the tone pot set at 1, and no noise at that setting either! Although I have mdded this guitar a sick amount the things I did keep stock is the brige pickup, bridge, neck and body. Now it is an absolute tone machine. For the great sound and absolute versatility of this guitar in giving it a 9, although I played about 5 other of the same guitars as this and they didn't even come close. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was perfect, no fret buzz, nice low action. Pickups were adjusted perfect, bridge routed properly, and no flaws to my guitar. But I have to warn you, I tried other Squier tele's and they didn't even come remotely close to this guitar. When I bought this, it was the best playing guitar in the store other then the gibsons, and one especially nice Fender Strat, don't beleive me? Ask the sales guy. I'm giving it a 10 because mine was perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played live, so I can't tell if it will widthstand live playing. Strap buttons were solid, but I still replaced them with straplocks, almost nothing is stock on this guitar so I'm gnna give it a 6. The finish I replaced with tung oil, the tuners I replaced with grovers, the neck pickup I replaced with an evans eliminator bridge pickup, the original finish seemed to chip easy. I would use it without a backup now, but it's always best to have a backup. // 6

Overall Impression: I play everything, jazz, blues, metal, etc. I've been playing acoustic for a couple years and this is my first electric. If it was stolen I'd hunt down the person Who stole it, and have my way with them, I can't say I'd buy it again, cause I really really doubt I'll find one that plays, sounds, and feels like mine. I really love everything about it, my favorite feature was the price. I compared it to everything in the store, it kicked all the BC Rich, Epiphones, Peaveys, and any other Squires they had there, and that I have ever played. Everything I wish it had, I have put on it, but it was a great guitar stock so I'm giving it a 9. // 9

Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 31, 2006

Purchased from: Music123.com

Features: Squier Standard Telecaster made in Indonesia. It has 22 frets, rosewood fretboard, maple neck, body of some Indonesian wood similar to alder; a humbucker in the neck and a single-coil pickup in the bridge position. It's an inexpensive guitar but at the same time not a toy and not a piece of junk. It's a quality instrument. As a beginning guitar student it is perfect for me to learn on. // 7

Sound: The sound isn't bad. I use a Marshall MG10 amplifier and no effects. It's not a great sound. The pickups are cheap and don't carry much weight. So I replace the pickups with SD Little 59 mini-humbucker in the bridge and SD Model 59 humbucker in the neck. With the new pickups, the sound is awesome! It gets a good range using the various different settings. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up close to perfect. The action is not too high, not too low. Intonation was perfect. And added to that the guitar is easy to adjust. The truss-rod, the bridge, the height of the pickups all adjust easily. The guitar stays in tune. I rarely have to tune it at all. The 6th string falls out of tune after a couple of days of use, but it takes 30 seconds to correct, and then I'm back playing again for hours. Good guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Is it reliable? Is it durable? Only time will tell, truth be told. But it's made with quality materials, and they seem to be holding up after a year. The tuners, the frets, the jack, the pickup selector Switch all seem to be very solid. I have had no problems with it after a year. // 10

Overall Impression: I am a beginning guitar student. This guitar is perfect for me. It's easy to play. It gets a good sound. It's low-maintenance. As a beginner I am completely satsified and would recommend this to any beginning guitar student. It's the only guitar I have and will be the only guitar I have for quite some time. Even now if it were stolen I would probably replace it with the same thing or something similar (and also replace the pickups). I have no need for a $2000 Les Paul. This guitar suits my needs. I love it. // 10

Telecaster Reviewed by: -jeff-, on december 17, 2007

Features: Made in china 2005 model. It has 21 meduim frets and a maple fretboard. The neck is thin but in a C shape and the nut is very narrow, fretboard has a small raduis. It's a flat top basic Tele design, alder wood body, a transparent Orange yellow color called butterscotch but much more Orange and thick than those real Vintage ones. Hardware is chromed metal, bridge is Tele style, has 2 pickups one slanted bridge and chrome Tele neck pickup, Three way pickup selector and one volume and tone knob. Tuners are no name but keep tuning well. // 7

Sound: I am using this with a Crate 10watt practice amp and DigiTech RP150 multi effects proccesor. When I bought this guitar, I was realy into classic rock, blues rock and blues. For that it has a nice, biting tone on the bridge pickup that sounds nice with a some distortion, the middle postion gives you a nice rythm sound that's still has bite but is more creamy, and the neck pickup is realy warm, kinda muddy, I don't like it cause it muddys up your sound, although it sounds decent with clean tones. I am now into metal, prog and Pink Floyd now, and thanks to my effects box I can get a variety of tones but I want a humbucker guitar now. In the neck and bridge postitons this guitar usually generates quite a bit of buzz but that's to be expected from a single coil guitar in this class. This guitar has a suprising amount of tones for how simple it is but overall it is a brighter sounding guitar that is better suited for clean or lightly overdriven tones. The neck pickup trys to make up for it's inherat brightness with to much muddy sound. With heavy distortion it sounds decent but buzzes considerably. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is a budget axe, meaning that hardware is lacking.The bridge works but isnt the best, as the saddles are hard and durable but can move alot. Despite this the tuners are very good and this guitar keeps its tunings well. I have put this in standerd, Half step down, and Full step down and I did not have tuning issues with any of these. The neck is the best part of this guitar, it's nice and smooth and feels like a maple Fender neck. If you like flatter fretboards this may not be a good choice becuase the raduis is realy small, like 7.5. If you area fan of these then this is a good budget guitar. The guitars input jack has broken several times but I just sodered this back on. The action is good up to about the 12th fret were it starts getting high, one of my least favorite things about this guitar. The High e string has buz from the 8th to 12th fret very badly, but raising the action should help a bit. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I would not play this guitar Live, because the input jack isnt the best and the hardware leaves a lot to be desired. This goes for jsut about any guitar in this price range though. The finish is thick and glossy, mine has a lot of scratches but I don't realy care, Fender style guitars are meant to be vintaged. It's an inexpensive guitar, most guitars in this price range are worse than this one. // 5

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a decent budget guitar for a begginging guitarist who likes blues, classic rock or country. The neck is excellent, the hardware is poor but it holds tuning well. I have been playing for around 2.5 years and it has held up decently. Compared to other gutiars in this price range it is very good, because of the neck and tuning. I have played many guitars becuase I frequantly go to guitar shops and jam with friends and if you play the above listed styles and are a begginer or short on money than this is a good buy. // 6

Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 10, 2008

Features: I don't remember the exact year offhand but it's around 2 to 4 years old. Made in indonesia so it has an agathis body, I bought it secondhand. I wont list the full spec because, that has been listed here several times already. One thing worth pointing out though it has 22 frets which I personaly consider an advantage when measuring it against an affinity series tele or Fender Standard. // 7

Sound: This is a classy sounding instrument. Played acousticaly it has a vibrant and surprisingly loud tone that is much richer in frequency range than I would have expected. It continues performing when plugged into an amp. It can get those typical tele clean sounds, with a lot of country twang, it's great for playing Texas blues and 60s british blues, yardbirds type stuff etc. Give it some Drive and it's equally good, this isnt designed for heavy overdrive but mildy overdriven it sounds good, and importantly maintains clarity and definition. For '70s rock this will do the job. The pickups offer a wide range range of sound from screaming and rude on the bridge to warm and withdrawn on the neck. If you play hybrid of fingerstyle, ala Jeff Beck, the neck pickup is quite a winner as with the right technique you can ply a wide range of tones from it. The pickups themselves have been very noiseless so far by single coil standards. Equally the pots are not scratchy, contrary to what I've heard people say before. Despite the overal very bright sound you would expect this guitar doesnt't have too much in the way of anoying percussive overtones that you get when turning the tone and volume up full. I normaly have to adjust these on guitars to control the problem but this works just fine so I can keep everything up full if I want. I have played this through an Epiphone Valve Junior, Vox modelling amp and Laney trany amp so far and it has performed great through all 3. The only problem is that the guitar lacks a bit of response, dynamic range is limited somewhat. Overal this guitar has real character, it's a bit rough round the edges and isnt a blanced as other instruments but it is what it is and I love it for it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this secondhand and it desperatly needed a set up when I got it. After some love and hard work I got it set up to what I would consider it's optimum performance. Unfortunatly the intonation simply wont set up perfect, however it is very close to that mark(98%)and it doesnt't really hinder the instrument. Call me a perfectionist but it's a shame as the pitches and overtones will never resonate as well as they could. The tuners work fine as far as I'm concerned, and I don't care what anyone else thinks. If you set the instrument up properly and keep the tuners tight it will stay in tune. I jammed with it for an hour straight. When I decided to check the tuning I found it had barely gone out of pitch. I've had more trouble form guitars with decent grover machineheads. The only gripe is that they have a low gear ratio so you have to be very delicate when tuning or you will tune over pitch. As I've already made clear electrics were fine. The finnish was beaten up a bit but it was secondhand so that's to be expected. Finnaly, playability. As a person Who likes shorter scale lenghs, flat freboards and treats anything other than a small fret with extreme prejudice, I had more than a few concerns when buying this instrument. But overal it plays ok. The neck is just average compared to similar instruments not especialy good but it doesnt't inhibit the player in any way. The action might be a bit high for an unexpierienced player but shouldn't be too much of a problem for a long time player. (you need the action high for the best tone and to eradicate fret buzz) The only other issue is note choking on high bends, but you get that on most guitars with big frets and a curvy fretboard so it's not really something to complain about. Overal for a beginer this instrument plays slightly better than most other entry level instruments I've played. For an advanced player this should be perfectly fine, like I say it wont help you play great but it wont inhibbit you too much either. I find it plays about 85% as good as a decent les paul. Not bad for a Tele. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It always bugs me why people say certain guitars (normaly korean built etc.) are badly made and will fall apart after a couple of years or if gigged. I'm my expierience there is little or no truth to this. The number of times I have accidently smashed, so called cheap guitars, into walls, the ceiling etc. and yet they survive with no afereffects. This guitar was already well used when I bought it. I have since given it quite a beating on several occasions and it's showing no sign of suddenly exploding. Seriously, nothing has gone wrong or loks like it will. I've played a Brand New squire Standard Strat as well and I'm overal very impressed with the workmanship, I would rate it better than Epiphone. I would gig it, even as my primary instrument with no concern. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm an obsesive musician and have been playing a number of years, I'm also a total gearhead and in that time I've gotten through more guitars than I can remember. I play all kinds of music, rock, blues, jazz, fusion, metal, classical, latin. I bought this simply because I love guitars and had never owned a Tele. If it were stolen I probably wouldn't buy another but I would really miss it. When I bought it I didn't intend on owning it forever but on reflection I really don't like the idea of parting with it. The best thing about this guitar? It has real character, an identity all it's own you might say, it's more of a person than just an instrument. I was lucky to pick this up for just 70 easily one of the best bargains I've been lucky to come across. don't let guitar snobbery cloud your vision, if your interested give one a go. // 8

Telecaster Reviewed by: blobthedie, on january 12, 2009

Features: Made in the Cort factory in Indonesia in 2008. 22 fret, rosewood 'board, overwound neck p'up. Standard 2 p'up, 3 way selector, 1 tone, 1 volume, tele layout. Vintage burst (red centre, black edge) in colour. Either Agathis or Alder body, check on the Squier website if you're after a specific one, skunk stripe, thru-body, non-branded tuners (no screws holding them in), 3 ply pick-guard (Tourtoise shell, white, black), chrome hardware, Strat-style bridge, lightly tapered neck, chrome plated hardware. // 8

Sound: It suits all music styles I've tryed (that's most things other than jazz), but the neck pickup seems like a bit of a missfit next to the overwound, and therefore more powerful, bridge pickup (which can cope with any distortion that my Laney LX12 can throw at it). Huge ammounts of twang on the bridge p'up, which results in high clarity during high distortion. The neck pickup gets muddy quickly if you're not careful with your settings, but a simple change of the tone pot to a more trebley sound cures this a little. A good tele sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I've had it for just under a month, and no matter how many knocks it takes (I'm a little hap-hazzard with my guitars), it dosn't chip even a little. Judging from my Affinity Strat, it'll take a huge beating before anything shows. Everything else about the guitar's perfect, apart from the neck p'up being slightley too low, resulting in volum loss when switching guitars, or going from the bridge to the neck. I thought that'd be a simple thing to fix, but I'm going to have to take the neck off before I can do this, which I'm not doing yet, because the stock strings are so comfortable. // 6

Reliability & Durability: It'll stand up very well to Live playing, and might even be better for it, if other Fender's are anything to go by. I can depend on it no end, but I'd have a backup, just cos I'm synical like that. The strap buttons, as with all squire's, are huge, but, again, I'm still gonna get a set of schallers, just for safteys sake. The finish would last being hit with a H-bomb, dropped into the sun, and being set upon by a pack of angry wolves. But not sandpaper. // 9

Overall Impression: I play most things, from blues to thrash, and it holds up beautifully to any torture I put it through, I'e been playing for not long over a year, and this is my 4th guitar, I own a Cheetah something or other (it was a cheapo one on ebay, and it's electric), a squire Affinity Strat (electric), and a Cort eath-70 (acoustic). If it were lost or stolen, I'd replace it immediatley, then hit the person Who nicked it over the head with it, because it wouldn't take any damage. I love everything about this guitar apart from the neck pickup, and I wish that was a P-90. // 9

Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 23, 2010

Price paid: A$ 140

Purchased from: shanghai china 2007

Features: 2007, china made, 22 standard, mediam fretts, normal body, black body, rosewood neck, it had standadrd coils but I replaced the back pick up with a 500rmb (80au)seymour duncan.it really changed the sound, didn't even need a pedal for distortion, so nice, I performed around asia for 2 yrs with this tele. I left my G&L in Australia and never missed it. What a lovely guitar it turned out to be, I replaced the jack socket, but that's it. I loved playing it and always regret selling it back In oz in 09. // 10

Sound: You gotta put a seymore duncan pick up in it, and bam! What a change. You have to admit its a soft sounding guitar if you play it standard, you can't use this guitar proffessionally out of the box, but I'll tell you what, I love my signature G&L and it plays just as good and sounds just as good with the seymore duncan in it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Strait out of the box its way too high, lower the action, to suit your style, you can't go too low but really nice to suit most players. Fretts are nice, bridge strings could be stronger, but ok, I was going to put a bone nutt on the neck, but the seymore duncan did a fantastic job. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Once I replaced the jack, it was really reliable... Actually stayed in tune all the time, maybe I landed a good one, it had normal servicing, when I took the strings off I cleaned it thougherly and made sure all screws were up tight, and they were. Fretts handled the job too, I'm not a hard player but I play rythem and lead and the guitar did the job that was reqwuiered fromit. // 10

Overall Impression: I performed in clubs, hotels, bars from thailand to china, and all inbetween, did many many gigs playing 6 nights aweek and the guitar really impressed me. The fav feature would have to be the pick up, really changed the sound. Going to buy another in beijing jan 2011. // 10

Telecaster Reviewed by: Tyler.Allain, on january 20, 2011

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Features: This Squier Telecaster Standar guitar was made in 2010 in Indonesia. Features 21 frets on a rosewood fretboard on top of a Maple neck. The body is made of Agathis which I believe is in the Alder family and is similar to pine. The finish is an antique burst. Truly beautiful. Dark red fading to black at the edges. Features the Standard Telecaster configuration. Two single coil pickups controlled by a three way swith along with a single volume and tone knob. Stock single coils were quite nice for the price range and other than the tuners being a bit loose I've had no tuning issues after lubricating the nut. The hardware is solid especially the bridge and is feels much more solid than the hardware found on the step-down affinity series guitars. Has everything you'd expect from a Telecaster so in terms of features I can't score it with any less than a 10. // 10

Sound: The pickups that come in the guitar are great for country, jazz, blues, and basically anything you would want single coils for. However, that being said. It is a limited guitar in stock form. You won't be getting any great high gain distorted tones. It could probably handle a more mild distortion for punk but that's stretching it. When I got the guitar I intended on pulling the bridge pick up and putting in a hot rails which I did recently. Now the thing can handle plenty of gain. Once I swap the Pots out for 500kohm Pots instead of the 250kohms that are in there it should be a perfect guitar. In terms of sound for the styles I play, which are punk/hard rock/etc, this thing doesn't cut it stock. It gets an 8 for stock sound because while it does do clean tones very well, don't expect it to handle any more than that. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up quite well at the factory with the exception of the tuners being quite loose. After I tightened them up I tuned the guitar up and notices a bit of nut snag. I opened the slots up a bit like I do with most new guitars and the tuning problems were relieved. The action was med-low which is what I like so no complaints there. The body was pieced together from three pieces of Agathis wood. The grain doesn't match up very well at all, but it's hardly noticeable. This guitar came set up pretty well but not perfectly. I easily was able to correct most of the problems. I can't however give the guitar any more than a 7 here. Wish the wood grains matched a bit more from piece to piece. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The thing will withstand live playing and the hardware will definitely last. The bridge is super comfortable and solid. The strap buttons appear solid but because Agathis wood is so soft, I will probably put some heavy duty strap locks on this thing with some wider screws. I would never gig without a backup regardless of how reliable I feel a guitar may be. The finish is gorgeous but unfortunately the wood is so soft that this guitar is probably going to take a considerable amount of dents in its lifetime. Put my first nick in it on the backside. Picked it up to place it on my lap to play and it bumped the side of the chair ever so softly. Figured it wouldn't have left a mark but it did. Owell. I like the look of reliced teles so if thing gets beat up on accident I guess I'll have to live with it. This thing gets a 7 for reliability and durability. Because of the soft wood and being untested at gigs, I can't rate it higher. // 7

Overall Impression: Stock this thing doesn't match the high gain requiring genres that I tend to flock to. Since the pickup swap I couldn't be happier. It's a beautiful looking and playing guitar with the right amount of love added. Wish I had known Agathis was so soft before buying it. If this thing were stolen I would ABSOLUTELY buy a new one. For the price it's a steal. If you are thinking about getting one for clean sounds it's great just the way it is. If you like teles but want something that can handle high gain sounds do what I did and swap the pickups. Overall this thing gets an 8. // 8

Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 21, 2012

Purchased from: Holmes Music Swindon

Features: I absolutely love the neck, by far the best I've played with, the finish, exposed wood with black pickgaurd, is absolutely beautiful and is what first attracted me to this guitar; the bridge and pickups look good and sound good, and although relatively limited the variety of sounds you can make suit me just fine. // 8

Sound: I like to play a lot of classic and alternative rock and occasionally venture into a bit of blues and, unsurprisingly for a Tele, this guitar suits it perfectly. I'm a lot less inclined to use overdrive since I got this guitar because I think it just makes such a beautiful sound on it's own. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I found the set-up was relatively good; it came with a beautiful set of D'Addario strings which played really well with the Tele sound. I'm not an expert so I'm not one to get picky but even so, I'm happy to say no complaints. I've found no flaws with the guitar save for the jack, which was loose upon arrival and so fell out relatively quickly, but as far as the more technical components are concerned all was fine. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Mostly the guitar feels solid and well put together, all except for the input jack, which has driven me insane; I've only had the guitar for a couple of months but I've already sworn that if it falls out again I'm going to improvise something else. It's a bugger to get back in as well once it has. // 5

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for my style of music, playing alternative and classic rock, I am absolutely in love with the look and the finish is good. My only complaint is the input jack, and although some people have advised me to change the pickups, I'm more than happy with the Tele sound that they produce. I'd definitely buy this guitar again, but I'd make sure the first thing I did every time I played it was tighten the input jack. Overall though, a beautiful guitar that I absolutely love. // 9

Telecaster Reviewed by: Teleeeeeeeeeeee, on april 13, 2012

Features: When I decided to get a Telecaster, I had been playing for a couple of months and had become a decent guitarist, in search of a decent guitar. I had always been a fan of Fender Telecasters, so naturally I wanted one. So my Tele of choice was the Squire Telecaster Classic Vibe. 3 colour sunburst finish(Very nice), Alder body, high gloss Maple neck, Rosewood 21 fret fretboard, 2 custom Alnico V single-coil pickups S/S configuration. All hardware is chrome and an Tele String-Thru body bridge. Three way pickup selector, 1 volume, 1 tone control. The neck is very thin and combined with the gloss, I find playing very comfortable. // 9

Sound: I generally play boogie-rock/blues, mainly Barre Chords and I find the sound from the bridge pickup combined with a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal and Marshall MG30FX give a nice warm distortion. Not creating as much distortion as a humbucker, but a fairly decent amount. I have the tone control turned 3/4 up, taking out any unwanted noise. But having the tone control turned down produces a flat sound and lackes body. The neck pickup with distortion has a very warm bluesy sound. Off distortion, both pickups sound bright, and with a touch of reverb are warm, the bridge pickup is perfect for rock n roll, blues and reggae. But of course, I'll let you judge the sound if you buy this guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is very low, making soloing easy. As for the fret finish, there are no grinds when bending stings (Often found in cheaper guitars) and the frets are smooth. One flaw was that I seem to remember the strap button coming lose and having to tighten that up. But other than that, the guitar is well built and finished. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have already used my Tele for one gig, and I would definitely use it again. The pickups haven't had any problems. But of course I would go to a gig with a backup. Even if I had a Gibson Les Paul, I'd still have a backup. But yes, I would use this for playing live, it's my main guitar anyway. // 9

Overall Impression: I think this Tele may as well be a Fender, it certainly seems like one. I would recommend it to many guitarists. I play alot of Status Quo, so naturally, the Telecaster springs to mind, and it's the perfect guitar. I would definitely buy it again if it was stolen or lost and I really believe I have spent my money well. Great value and an excellent guitar. // 9

Telecaster Reviewed by: TheMightyMunch, on january 14, 2013

Purchased from: A friend

Features: I have a 2008 Indonesian Squier Tele with an Alder body, 22 frets, 25.5 scale. It's solid Vintage cream-yellow, Maple Neck, and a Rosewood fretboard. The bridge is a hardtail-Tele-string-thru body. Pickups came as stock single coils (covered neck, open bridge. Controls came stock as well, 1 volume, 1 tone, 3-way switch. Stock 3-piece tuners as well, and it came with strap, case, setup tools. This is an amazing guitar, and if you have $200 in your pocket, go to a local guitar store and buy this beast of an axe. // 9

Sound: I play punk, metal, rock, hard rock, and alternative. If you play any of these, it'll work for you. Came completely stock. It was my 2nd electric I ever owned, and here I am 6 years later still playing it constantly. The pots were a little dirty, but that is easily fixed by rapidly and repeatedly working them. About 2 years ago I replaced the neck pickup with an Ibanez INF3 humbucker. Only reason was that I needed it for sustained solos, because the stock neck wasn't as sustainful. It still was great, but I just wanted more smoothness when I flipped on my high gain. It wasn't difficult at all, because the wiring was easy to access and well done. The Bridge pickup is the sexiest single coil I've played. Mean, dirty, and hot. Very surprised, as it was a cheap Indonesian Tele. I say 8 only for the stock neck. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Action came perfect, no adjustment needed. Pickups were at the right height, giving me just the right hotness at each level I needed it. Nut works great, I apply graphite weekly for extra bending smoothness. No frets were sharp, and no screw was loose. The three-way switch was pretty smooth, and pots were a little dirty, but as previously stated, that was easily fixed. Wiring was clean and well done, and the wires were all wrapped together and neatly arranged inside. I don't think any stock guitar I have ever had was this clean. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is an incredibly reliable guitar. It's the Ak-47 of guitars. I have left it in the rain, I have dropped it numerous times, it is road-worn just from being carried around and gigged, and it still plays like an angel. The finish has been worn down, it has duct tape on it, and no pickguard. And if it were a woman, I would still tap it hard. I love this thing. It has become my "signature guitar", because my band and I have used it at many shows. I used it in the studio for our debut EP, and I don't regret a single minute of it. // 10

Overall Impression: If you play rock, it'll due. Metal? Get a high-gain pedal (I have a Boss MT-2 Metal Core), and totally! Alternative/blues? Definitely. But most of all, if you play Punk, BUY IT! Good action, no intonation (which can still be easily fixed), which means octaves are smooth. The bridge pickup crunches, squeals, and chugs. The stock neck is smooth-playing, but if you need more sustain look into an Ibanez INF3, or something from DiMazrio. My favorite thing is how versatile this guitar is, for the price of dirt! If you're just starting, or if you've been playing your whole life, you can't go wrong here. I own a Fender Strat which I made into a Jim Root Signature, an Ibanez Artcore, a Dean Evo, and a Hardluck Kings Lady Luck (explorer copy). So I'm a pretty versatile player who looks more at the feel than the brand name. And if you want the feel more than the looks, than this is for you. // 9

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Vintage Modified Telecaster Custom 6.8 Electric Guitars 10/28/2014