Vintage Modified Jaguar Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 07/02/2015 category: Electric Guitars
Squier: Vintage Modified Jaguar
It's a jack of all trades - rock/metal/blues/jazz, Even some country. This guitar can handle anything you throw at it. Take the time to set it up, and this guitar will serve very well for most players of any stripe or ability.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.5
reviews (2) pictures (2) 13 comments vote for this gear:
Vintage Modified Jaguar Reviewed by: djmarcelca, on july 27, 2012

Price paid: C$ 299

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: - Built: 2011 - Where: Indonesia - How many Frets: 22 Jumbo - 24.00" scale length - Maple neck with rosewood fretboard, skunk stripe - Jag style Body: Basswood - Finish: Fiesta Red - Bridge: Jaguar/Jazzmaster specific hard tail Top Loading, Semi-floating bridge. - Passive Duncan-Designed humbuckers - Volume/tone stacked for each pickup - 3 way Les-Paul Style Selector switch No Accessories, I bought a set of Super slinky 0.09-0.42 to change into when I bought it. // 6

Sound: Sound: Very good. I play it Two ways. 1) Direct to my rehearsal amp (Peavey Envoy 110) 2) Direct to P.A. from my DigiTech RP355/Crybaby Wah pedal set up. No noise; which is what I expected with humbuckers. A Note about "Duncan Designed" Pickups. When you see this label it means that the manufacture - Squier/Fender in this case leases the circuit diagram from Seymour Duncan and produces the Pickup in there own offshore factory as opposed to buying Genuine Seymour Duncan pickups. These Pickup are Duncan-Designed HB102B (bridge) and HB102N (neck). The corresponding Seymour Duncan pickup is the JB SH-4. One of the highest selling pick-ups ever. This is not a Surf guitar, It's a Jack of all trades - Rock/Metal/Blues/jazz, Even some country. This guitar can handle anything you throw at it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I've had the guilt for about a week now; First thing's first: GREAT sound, FAST neck. This thing is a PAIN to do it's initial set-up. The string saddles on the bridge piece are adjustable but not like a Strat/Tele with a rear screw or even like a tune-o-matic. To adjust the intonation it's Slacken the sting, undo the screw, move the saddle, tighten, and re-tune. A very very time consuming and irritating process. The string saddles are pre-set to the neck radius so adjusting the Sting height is similar to setting up a tune-o-matic. There is a hitch... The bridge FLOATS on the front 2 screws that also set string action. After you set desired string height, you use the one rear screw that actually goes into the wood, to level the bridge. String tension holds the bridge tight against the post screws. Once the bridge is leveled and saddles are tightened, all bridge buzz is eliminated (popular online complaint). Normally it takes me about 1.5 hours to set-up a guitar to my tastes, this one took almost 4 hours. Not for the faint at heart. I have the action set nice and low to use the jumbo-sized frets No buzz, no fret leveling needed, the Duncan Designed pick-ups are very clear and precise on both clean and distorted. Finish was Very good, no paint runs, no cracks, Neck aligned nicely from the factory, Nut did not require filing/Dressing. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I'd use it live without hesitation. I use another Squier currently to make YouTube videos of cover songs. I don't have to worry about back-ups I can't remember the last guitar failure I had onstage. I'm pretty gentle with my instruments as a rule. // 7

Overall Impression: Styles: - Blues - Classic rock - Disco/70's Funk - Modern Pop - Classic Heavy Metal How long Playing: 27 Years Other Gear: - 1984 Ibanez Artist AR 105 - 2006 Squier Fat Strat (Black and Chrome Edition) - 1982 Marshall JCM800 2x12 Combo - Does not gig anymore - 1993 Fender M-80 1x12 Combo - Does not gig anymore - 1998 Peavey Envoy 110 "TransTube" - Rehearsal Amp - 1990's Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah - 2011 DigiTech RP355 - Direct to P.A. mixer when gigging. Would I buy it again if Stolen: Yes. Short neck scale takes some adjustment, but after adapting, plays very, very fast. What did I compare it to: Nothing. There is no other guitar (That I'm aware of) By any other manufacture that has this short of a scale neck. Will I modify it? Absolutely; I won't be changing pickups. I like them fine. I will be modifying the selector switch/switching/Coil splitting options. Bottom line, If you're a gear snob, Pass this one by. No matter what anyone says you will not like it because of the branding. Take the time to set it up, or get a good set up done by a proper guitar tech, and this guitar will serve very well for most players of any stripe or ability. // 8

Vintage Modified Jaguar Reviewed by: rbeardslva, on july 02, 2015

Features: Manufactured in Indonesia in 2015. There are 22 frets and the scale is 24". The guitar is solid basswood and mine is surf green. The neck is maple with Indian Rosewood fingerboard. This is a cutaway guitar and has a unique bridge system such as you will find on Jaguars and Mustangs. The guitar ships with horrible strings... 9's. It needs 11's and I personally recommend flat wounds. With that change I have no rattles or some of the other issues you hear about. The pickups are "Duncan Designed" single coil and they seem quite good for the price and my style. The tuners are vintage 6 in line style. Once all my setups were in place, I have no issues with them. // 10

Sound: This guitar suits my playing which is classic rock, blues and gospel. The reason I wanted this (I already have Gibsons and fenders and have been playing for 40 years) is for the rhythm setup. This guitar features a unique rhythm pickup selection setup that lets you dial in a tone for that one pickup and switch from it to treble/neck or treble only with completely different tone settings. Yes this is the "surf" guitar but its not only a surf guitar. It's a quite fun and great value guitar for the money. I amusing it with a 1972 silver face champ amp and with a Blues Junior amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Maybe I got lucky but the fit and finish on my is spot on. I think you could possibly not be so lucky as these are mass produced in Indonesia but my frets were level and polished without rough ends. The strings it came with are garbage and the plastic nut it came with is crap. I replaced both. Strings with 11's and nut with bone... had the appropriate setups done for those changes and, I have the action at T/4 64ths and B 6 64ths. Plays beautifully and has some music in it. You will need to do setups. You will want to budget taking this to a tech or luthier if you cannot do that work ourself. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar could stand up to years of use but, who knows, mine is 6 weeks old. With a setup you could gig with this. Without a setup, you have some lumber and electronics. I would not waste my money changing out any hardware or electronics on this guitar. Spend some money on a nut, strings, and setup and you will have a guitar that will last for many years and sound good in the process. I see no reason why the hardware or finish will not hold up. I have seen reviews that say the tuners go out of tune. Tuners don't go out of tune...  strings do. Especially with a bad setup and cheap strings. // 9

Overall Impression: I play jazz, blues, classic rock, gospel, folk lead or rhythm. This guitar handles it all. I like to set the rhythm setup to a sort of dark tone that I love switching to in song parts. Read up on these jaguars before you buy. Make sure you understand the options it presents and that they are options you can appreciate in your playing. You have 4 switches, two pickups, 3 knobs and a ton of combinations of tones you can get out of this. In other words, have fun with it. If you are more inclined to using just the bridge pickup and never touch your tone knobs, this is not for you. // 10

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Classic Vibe '50s Telecaster 9.2 Electric Guitars 10/07/2015