Vintage Modified Mustang Review

7.6
 8.2
reviews (2) pictures (3) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Vintage Modified Mustang Reviewed by: johndykey, on november 27, 2012

Purchased from: symphony music wigan

Features: Righty ho I got a Vintage Modified Squier Mustang in sonic blue about 2 weeks ago and there doesn't seem to be many reviews so here goes. It was made in Indonesia 2012, it is a short scale 24", Vintage style Kluson "esque" tuners with white plastic pegs, large 70's style headstock, Duncan Designed pickups, phase in out & off switch on each. It has a mustang/jag style tremolo and bridge (toploading). I think it is a bass wood body (at this price) & a rosewood neck. The body is the classic Mustang shape in a lovely sonic blue, the finish is a thick polyurethane the kind that chips away rather than wears like nitrocelluose. It isn't a contour body, more a tele slab. You get a single volume & tone pot with a generic black knob. As you would imagine for a short scale it is nice and light and the strap buttons are a reasonable size, comfortable to play standing or sitting. No accessories apart from some allen keys. Keep these. You will need them! // 8

Sound: These days I am mostly doing home recording (young babies stopping the gigs!) but my gigging days was your average "pub rock" with stuff going from Beatles/Stones up to more recent alt rock kind of thing. I would describe my own style as rock, my reason for getting the Mustang is my (lingering) teenage obsession with Nirvana! I'm sure I'm not the only one. Right in the house I have a Marshall Class 5 and a Line 6 M13 for my rig, and I have to say the Mustang pickups are surprisingly good! I had thought one the 1st jobs after a set up was to drop some more in but I think they will be staying, there is a on/off/on switch on each pup and as far as I can see its in phase/off/out of phase settings. The bridge is not overly bright or bitey (+ or - depending on your taste)and the neck is bluesy to my ears. Both are usable, it has a nice clear clean sound not really bell like such as a Strat but pleasant and it filthys up fantastic with some fuzz! Add a lil bit of chorus and its nevermind! The bridge rattles like a pig. More on this below. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Ok the plus side. The neck is fantastic! Extremely comfortable, no rough frets or sharp edges, decent cut on the nut, I love the overside headstock, the tuners hold well enough but do look a bit cheap, the finish on the neck is like a Vintage tint but its nice and smooth not sticky. The body is immaculately finished, surprisingly good pick ups. The vibrato is ok, you will do no dive bombing here! More a gentle wobble like a Bigsby I suppose, more than that & the tunings out. (When I 1st got it I was giving it some as you do and I managed do drop a whole tone down across every string! Not been able to since like haha.) Ok the bridge. It lets it down. It is crap. It has grub screws into the saddles for adjustment and they just work loose sending the saddle all over the place and the most annoying rattle (which the amp does pick up). After my 1st 10 minute play at home they where falling out into my palm. I put them back and set up the bridge again and the same happened again. The solution to this my friends is easy. Remove the bridge and put it in the bin. Get a replacement bridge without the grub screws on the saddles (I paid 35 from string directs) and drop it in. This solves the problem and I now have a decent little guitar. // 6

Reliability & Durability: If you don't change the bridge this will not last the 1st 10 minutes of a gig and you will be messing round with a tiny allen key trying to set it up on the fly! I suppose you could try some threadlock but you would have to be sparing and in all likelyhood not be able to adjust the saddles easily. The best way is just to change it. The pickups, strap buttons all the rest of it is solid and is to be fair exceptional at this price point, especially when you consider a Japanese Mustang retails new in the UK for about 750, 450ish on flea bay second hand. // 7

Overall Impression: I have always fancied a Mustang/Jaguar due to my adolescent Nirvana fixation, this scratches this itch perfectly! I am lucky enough to own a Gibson Les Paul Junior, Japanese Fender Telecaster, Martin & Yamaha acoustics and a Baby Taylor, I have been playing about 15 years and have bought and sold a lot of gear. I think the Mustang is a keeper but bear in mind the bridge issues, I might have just got a dog egg but whatever price you agree to pay add another 30 for a new bridge and you will be flying. Give it a good play before you take it home, if its rattling and buzzing its our old friend the bridge. But like I say its not terminal. New one fitted and its flawless. If someone stole it I would beat them to death with the old bridge and buy a new one! I really fancy one of those Vintage Modified Jaguars now, for the price these are exceptional value.

// 8

Vintage Modified Mustang Reviewed by: mdowning.uk, on january 27, 2014

Purchased from: Andertons

Features: Indonesian made, mostly faithful to the classic Mustang. Slab basswood body in a lovely (but thick poly), more yellow than white, tortoise guard. Mustang vibrato with height adjustable saddle bridge. Maple and rosewood neck 24 inch short scale neck, chunky profile with 9.5" radius 22 fret fingerboard. White buttoned split post tuners, two Duncan Designed single coils with individual on/off/phase switches, vol and tone. Comes with... an allen key. Whoopee. It has all the features you'd want in a Mustang at a price closer to what was originally seen as a student model should be. Kudos for Fender and Squier for the outstanding value coming from the vintage modified line. 9, only losing a point because there's nothing at all with it and Fender should at least include a comprehensive guide to setting up the trem/vibrato properly as it'll mystify a lot of people. // 8

Sound: The sound is, to my mind the weak point of this and all Mustangs as I understand it. The pickups are a little hotter than average covered single coils but they sound "meh" they're not excessively noisy though, just lacking character, definition and punch. I've heard and owned worse but they're prime for an upgrade. The guitar has a good acoustic resonance and you can really hear the trem springs, I personally love the natural reverb of it and the character of the guitar as a whole. It's good for fuzz, cleans up well enough but is definitely not suited to properly high gain work or anything that needs a lot of body. The score reflects the sound in the grand scheme of things, but it's bumped up a little by bearing in mind this is an affordable instrument for a beginner.

The out of phase sounds are worth an extra point, purely for novelty - it's an uncommon feature. It thins out the sound which actually does come in useful sometimes and I'm glad it's there. If you aren't expecting Gibson and PRS tones, or even tele twang you'll be happy enough at this price point. I've put this through a Peavey Vypyr and a Rat 5 watt Valve amp. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Again for the money there's a lot to like here. The neck is outstanding, it's got a surprisingly chunky profile - a little thicker than strats and tele's I've played and really fills my fairly big hands more than I'd expect for a short scale. The neck and nut were well finished, no raised or sharp frets. Neck gets a 10 for me! The body came with a flaw in the paint work, but was otherwise very tidy, the cavities are decent too, can't complain at all. Electronics work without buzz or crackle, but are on my upgrade list all the same. The bridge and trem, as pointed out elsewhere are likely to be a problem area. The saddle screws do like to randomlly alter the height, it's not been bad for me, but I'm not gigging it so it's not a big deal. A regular mustang bridge could be used, or possibly a TOM but it is a design flaw.

I fly in the face of common opinion and think the trem is GREAT! You can do brilliant atmospheric work just with you palm, it just needs setting up right - this took me a few hours to get bang on - but now tuning is stable and the trem is position so the arm is parallel to the strings. The trick is to remove the bridge and alter the position of the springs on the posts and then set the tension up top. Tuners are ok, they look crap and cheap but actually work just fine, I think a lot of problems blamed on the tuners are actually down to bigger strings sticking in the nut slots or the trem being badly set up out of the factory. The guitar comes with 9's. On a short scale this feels and sounds like it's strung with cotton. Get some 12's on it. Some minor issues exist like the pickguard screws are all in at a slight diagonal! // 8

Reliability & Durability: Bridge saddles aside, this is a simple and rock solid guitar that's well put together, I'd be confident gigging with it, smacking burglars around the head with one or maybe using it as an emergency paddle. Well done Squier and Indonesia. The finish is tough and thick, but it will not buff easily if you scratch it (speaking from experience and coming from someone who has refinished a number of guitars to a mirror like shine). Strap buttons are fine, but who wouldn't put locks on a gigging guitar? Good all round and I'd not be surprised if someone told me this guitar was selling for double the money on first inspection. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm a hobbyist that likes a heavily processed sound, playing a bit of drone and post rock more than anything else. I've gone through a lot of guitars in the last 18 months trying to find the right fit and I have to say this Mustang is up there with guitars that cost much more - I'd struggle to find a reason to pay more than double for a Japanese Fender reissue. It's not the ultimate axe and I'm biased as I've always wanted a Mustang due to some of my guitar heroes playing them, which does colour my opinion, if it wasn't so gorgeous maybe I'd feel differently!

Neck profile, looks, oddball trem and the out of phase sounds all give you an instrument that's distinctly different at this (or any other) price point so if you fancy a Mustang it's got to be high on your list. I'll have to mark it down due to a few minor build issues the bridge saddles and characterless pickups - but there's a lot of potential to make this bad boy a 10 without spending much money. // 8

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ S-73 7.9 Electric Guitars 07/21/2014