Vintage Modified Strat Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 09/28/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Squier: Vintage Modified Strat
Squiers Vintage Modified Strat guitar incorporates the best of classic Fender styling and some flashy finishes.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 Features: 8.7
 8.9
 8.9
 8.8
reviews (3) pictures (4) 27 comments vote for this gear:
Vintage Modified Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 16, 2009

Features: My guitar was made in India last year(2008). Have 21 medium jumbo frets. Have maple neck and rosewood fretboard. Mine is in Metallic Red finish. Pickups are 3 Duncan Design SC-101 single coils. Have Vintage style synchronous tremolo bridge. No accessories included. Unique features: Vintage Style Tremolo, Custom Pickguards by Color, Gold and Black Squier Logo, Engraved Neckplate, White Plastic Parts, Dot Position Inlays // 9

Sound: I play mostly blues, heavy rock, pop rock to metal. I run it through a Fender Pro Junior. It suits perfectly my style. And according to other reviews from other websites, this is the closest Squier Strat to a Fender Mexican Strat when it comes to the finish, sound and features. This guitar is good for blues to hard rock and can do good for metal also. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup perfectly. The action was setup according to my needs. The guitar doesn't have any flaws. My only claim is that it doesn't include any accessories but overall it is a very nice guitar. The pickguard is nice. It is not heavy nor light. Its weight is just average like most of the strats. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The finish will last for years. Maybe best if you try to replace the tuners with locking tuners. And it will withstand Live playing because I have already tried that during my recital at the auditorium at my school. I will use it with a backup in case of broken strings. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a good guitar for the price. As I said, it matched The Music I play. If it were stolen or lost, definitely I will buy a new one. I love the finish especially the color of the pickguard, it matched the color of the body. What I only hate is that it doesn't have any accessories.I wish Fender make all of their strats with locking tuners and also strap locks, not just cheap strap buttons. // 9

Vintage Modified Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 28, 2011

Purchased from: Instrumental Music

Features: Mine was made in 2008. 21 frets. Rosewood fingerboard, maple "C" shaped tinted neck. On mine the neck feels bigger than a standard Strat. One piece Indian Red Cedar body in Metallic Red finish. The bridge is a Vintage style blocked tremolo. Has awesome Duncan Designed SC101 pickups. 5-way selector with one volume and 2 tone controls. // 9

Sound: This guitar is one of the best Strats I have played. Don't be put out by the Squier logo on the headstock. This guitar will blow you away. I actually got it as my 6th guitar. It's based off a 1960's Stratocaster with custom touches. At first I didn't like it as much as I thought I would but now it's my main guitar. I'm in a few bands and it fits them all perfectly. I play my Strat though a Bugera V55 and sometimes a HOT Rod Deluxe III and it has incredible tone. The bridge pickup is very bright and spanky. Turn it down to 8 and you get a perfect Tele tone. The middle pickup is nice sounding. I use that pickup a lot actually and it sounds very clean and clear. The neck pickup is very fat sounding but very bright at the same time. The in between positions are very quacky and sound awesome. If you need a fatter sound for this guitar, don't change the pickups. Roll off some tone on the tone pot. That's what it's for. I discovered that if you are in position 2 you can get a nice smooth fat tone by rolling off the tone to 7. All in all, great sound and very versatile. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first played this guitar. The first thing that surprised me was the fret job. It was incredibly smooth down the sides of the neck. Also the nut was cut perfectly. The slots were big enough to take 12s. The setup was perfect. No buzz at all. Another thing I love about this is that it holds tune well when you use the whammy bar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built like a tank. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best Squier on the market. It has the feel of a new Strat but the tone of a Vintage 60's Strat when it was brand new. When my bass player saw that it was a Squier, he instantly hated it. When I plugged in and played it he said it sounded too good to be a Squier. If you must have "Fender" on the headstock, you are missing out. If this were stolen I would buy two more. This is one of the best Strats I've ever played! // 10

Vintage Modified Strat Reviewed by: SquierLolz, on july 21, 2009

Price paid: € 330

Purchased from: Local Store

Features: This Squier, Made in 2007 in Indonesia, Is quite the nice one. The finish is called "Gun Metal Grey" Which is Basicly a Metallic Grey. It's H-S-S With Duncan Designed Pickups, The singles are hum-cancelling. The control set-up is 1 Volume and 2 Tone knobs, The Volume is a Master volume. The bottom Tone knob controls the middle single coil and the middle Tone knob controls the neck single coil, this means there is no tone control over the bridge. For me not a big deal but for some it may be. It's made of Indian Cedar wood which is not exactly the best tonewood there is. The neck is maple, Mine has a little bit of flame too it. It has a rosewood fretboard with 21 medium-jumbo frets. It has a Vintage style 6 screw Strat trem which is very unstable so I blocked it off. // 8

Sound: I myself play a lot of metal but I also like to play some rock and blues from time to time. For metal I let my Squier rest on it's stand, It can handle it beautyfully, but I prefer my Ibanez for this stuff. For rock and blues my Squier gets a lot of playtime, it's simply made for it. I'm gonna talk about every pickup one-by-one. Bridge: this Duncan Designed Humbucker is VERY bright, It's best to roll of some treble using it. A tone control for this pickup would be nice. Middle: this Single coil has lower output then the one installed in the neck, I switched it around because I like low output in the neck for a smooth and warm sound, which this pickup handles quite well while retaining the Strat Twang. Neck: Higher output then the middle, Sounds brighter and more snappier also, I chose to put this pickup in the middle for some bright funk-twang. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The Factory set up on this guitar was alright, The action was pretty high but that was easily fixed with the allen key provided with the guitar. It intonates well and the frets are level. The finish is Thick, but by playing and gigging it wore away where my arm rests on the body, but i have pretty agressive sweat. The neck pocket is Tight, I once took the neck off and had to apply some force to get it back in. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Will this guitar play Live gigs? Yes, Just make sure that the input jack doesn't come loose and it doesn't fall off the strap. It's pretty dependable but I won't gig without a backup, Simply because a string break is in a small corner. Like I said before, The finish is good enough but will wear over-time. // 7

Overall Impression: For what I play it's an alright match, Not the best but it handles everything wel. I've been playing for 3 and a half years now and have owned this guitar for the last 2 of 'm, I own 3 other guitars but still find myself picking this one up regulary. What I wish I had asked before I got it? "can I have two of these?" It's simply a comfortable guitar with not too fancy looks. I compared it to a Squier VM Jagmaster and an Epiphone G-400, This one played better then both of them. I wish it had a tone control for the bridge but that's all really. // 8

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Bullet HS Telecaster 7.7 Electric Guitars 03/26/2014