L320 Review

manufacturer: Stagg date: 06/30/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Stagg: L320
The guitar features a Tune-O-Matic bridge and a volume and tone control for each humbucking pickup. The guitar is fitted with a 3-way selector switch and is fitted with Stagg pickups. The tuners are also made by Stagg and are non-locking.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.7
 8.3
 8.6
reviews (3) 17 comments vote for this gear:
L320 Reviewed by: slash30687, on july 06, 2005

Purchased from: MDM-Music

Features: This was my second elctric guitar. I bought it after I'd been playing for about a year. I got the guitar in the spring of 2004 so I suspect it was manafactured shortly before that time. I haven't a clue where it was made, however for its price I suspect China, maybe? The neck which is of hard maple is off 22 frets and is not much thinner nor much fatter than any other Les Pual model I have played before. The body is made of alder and the guitar can still be heard if played even if not plugged in, I suspect due to it's body. The body is that of a standard Les Paul with a single cut-away. The guitar features a Tune-O-Matic bridge and a volume and tone control for each humbucking pickup. The guitar is fitted with a 3-way selector Switch and is fitted with Stagg pickups. The tuners are also made by Stagg and are non-locking. The guitar didn't come with any accessories but the dude in the guitar shop was sound and threw in some spare strings and a lead. // 8

Sound: When I brought the guitar I played mainly punk, but as time went on I mellowed into playing a lot of indy and garage rock, to which the guitar suited better. I have even had success in gigging with this guitar. When I gigged with it I used overdrive of a Marshall MG50DFX with a Jim Dunlop Crybaby at times for Wah-Wah. The guitar soundwise is very versitile, for example the sound that can be achieved ranges from an extremely bassy tone to bright sharp tones. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Before I gigged with the guitar had to reset the bridge height and string inotations to suit my style of playing, however this was no real problem. For a relatively cheap guitar the pic uos are of good quality, as is the bridge. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have used the guitar at a gig with no back up, however my bands set was only 25 minutes long and I fell that it would have gone out of tune a little if I had played for any longer. That is the main flaw of the guitar that it goes out of tune relatively easy, but what can one expect for a low budget guitar. To prevent the strap from falling of the buttons I had to purchase some strap locks but they didn't really brak the bank. // 8

Overall Impression: I mainly play indy and garage rock which the guitar is well suited for. I have been playing for just over 2 years now, and would definatley recommned this guitar to someone looking to upgrade from their first guitar. The guitar is great value for money and plays as good as other models I have tryed. The only thing I don't like about it is the way in which it quickly goes out of tune. // 8

L320 Reviewed by: Spawn2, on june 15, 2006

Features: I bought this guitar late 2005, I suspect it was made in the beginning of that year. It features a 22 fret neck made of hard maple, a rosewood fingerboard and a tune-O-Matic bridge. The body is made of solid alder with a tiger stripe-like arch top. It's body style is that of a Les Paul of course. Pickups are 2 humbucking pickups with a 3-way switch and a volume and tone pot for each. Tuners and pickups are of Stagg-manufacturers. // 8

Sound: Well, my music style is mainly classic/hard rock, things like AC/DC, Aerosmith, Deep Purple etc. The guitar is very well suited to play this style. I personally don't like guitars that sound very sharp and this one suits my playing style very well. The 2 humbuckers are noiseless and have a very warm tone to them (even warmer than the two expensive Ibanez guitars I have). Though you can also scream with this guitar (Zakk Wylde-like things are also possible). So much variety and an overall very warm tone! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, at the beginning I had to lower the bridge a little, but since this is a tun-o-matic bridge, that was very easy. So far that's the only thing I did, I've intonated it once, but only after half a year of playing. The quality is really good, no flaws in the finish, the only thing that it needed was a pair of proper strap-locks. The upper strap button isn't placed in a very good position, so you need to replace it for a locking-type of button. But that's all. // 9

Reliability & Durability: So gigging. I've played this guitar live on several occasions. It's great, I use it as a back up, or to play some clean pieces with chorus. But it's very well suited to gig with. There are no things on this guitar that can break easily, the only thing you need to do is tune properly (you know: tune-stretch strings-tune etc). Once you've done this, this thing won't let you down! // 10

Overall Impression: This thing is just perfect for my goal: I'm an overall Ibanez guy, but I also like to bang on the occasional classic electric guitar models (like this LP). I've got two Ibanez guitars (S470DXQM and RG1570) but this LP-fake guitar is just cool. I'm not afraid to do any of the things that I normally wouldn't do to my more expensive Ibanez's. It's perfect for gigging since it's so easily constructed, nothing can go wrong. As I already said, it fits my playing style very well and I love to use it in the way Zakk uses his, just hang it on a very long strap and start playing. The only thing I had to get used to is it's higher bridge, that's a bit weird to dual-pick on. // 9

L320 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 30, 2010

Purchased from: JG Windows, Newcastle Upon Tyne

Features: -Made in China -22 Frets, Pearloid Inlays -Great Les Paul style body -2 Stagg Humbucker Pickups -3 Way Pickup Selector Switch -4 Control Knobs; 2 Volume, 2 Tone -Tune-o-Matic Bridge with Stop Bar Tailpiece -Non Locking Tuners They threw in a free hardcase, strap and set of strings for me :) // 8

Sound: I usually play a mixture of rock/metal. From AC/DC and Thin Lizzy to Judas Priest and Black Sabbath, this guitar can do it all. I run the guitar through a Marshall JCM2000 full stack, and I don't think I've ever had the range of this guitar. Gibson Les Pauls can be quite limited of the tones, but this can do most of what I ask it to. The bad problem in this guitar would be the cleaner tones - I wouldn't recommend it to play soft, clean stuff as the tone can't really handle it. As long as the volume is turned up half way on the guitar pickups, the tone begins to get dirty. If you keep it below half way, you'll need a hell of an amp to fill a gig, as it can be incredibly quiet. You get the bright tones of a Gibson, at simply a fraction of the price. Honestly, I don't think I'd purchase a Gibson again now I know the quality of these instruments and how similar the two are. I paid 99 for this, but the sounds are abselutely no different - if not better - than a 1000 Gibson Les Paul Standard. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The sales assistant in the guitar shop was setting this guitar up on demo when it slipped from his grip and bounced onto the wood floor from a height of around 5-10ft. A chip around an inch long came from the binding, and I immediately made him an offer of 99. Obviously, they couldn't sell this guitar for full price and he accepted. Everything was fine when I got it, perhaps because the shop owners had set it up before. The only things I've done to it is restrung it to my own preference and changed the control knobs, as they looked a little flimsy. I bet they'd have done the job had I not changed them, though. Everything else is fine - easily up to the Standard of Gibson. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've already played a gig with this guitar (without a backup) and it performed magnificently. It was so solid I think it'll become my Standard gigging guitar (instead of my 1961 Gibson SG reissue!) as I was so pleased with the outcome. Everything is brilliant with it, and I couldn't have asked for anymore when playing live. The only fault with the finish is that it leaves a slightly visible mark after sweating on it, and you need to give it a gentle wipe with guitar polish to remove it. Other than that, the finish is solid! // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar gives the quality of any Gibson at just a fraction of the price. If you can get this guitar, I'd recommend you do as it is far the best guitar I've owned in twenty years of playing and gigging :) Forget your Gibsons, Epiphones and Tokai's, this is definatelly the Les Paul to own! // 10

More Stagg reviews rating category latest review
+ S301 5.6 Electric Guitars 10/06/2014