R500 Review

8.3
 6.1
reviews (3) 5 comments vote for this gear:
R500 Reviewed by: tunnock, on april 20, 2007

Features: The volume control is annoying as there is little difference between 6-11 (I got a volume knob with 11 on it,) and it seems to just stop suddenly when lowering volume on it. Rather rigid. Apart from that and the limited tremolo I got no complaints. // 7

Sound: This guitar suits my style of playing. I tend to play mostly metal and dabble in classical and blues. I currently use a Spider II 112 with a DigiTech RP200A and Crybaby. The guitar itself is quiet warm and smooth sounding. Harmonics tend to be a bit less crisp than they should because of this. The twin humbuckers give this guitar a nice kick when using a lot of distortion though. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on the guitar when I bought it was quite high but I lowered it as far as possible before it began to buzz. The pick-ups came nicely adjusted. The pick-up selector is quite noisy when changing. I've had to tighten the output jack on it several times since purchase which is nothing major. The frets are evenly spaced, tuning pegs are tight. The only thing that really annoyed me about this was that I had to file down the frets as they were slightly jagged. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Biggest bonus of this guitar is it's durability and I would use it on a gig without a backup (I would however use a trusty strap). I've been playing it for about 2 years and it has survived with nothing but a couple of small scrathes. I've even dropped it a couple of times (drunk and poor strap) and it's sounded unphased by the ordeal. // 10

Overall Impression: This is definitely a guitar to buy for players starting out on guitar as it is cheap, reliable and sounds good enough. I also own a Fender Stratocaster, a custom Burn's Baldwin semi-acoustic with bigsby and a very old 12-string and the Stagg is by far the best for nailing really heavy distortion but the Strat and the Burn's Baldwin are unrivaled on clean channels. If it were lost I would buy another for the simple reason that it is damn near indestructible. I wish it had a better tremolo but at 200 I don't expect to get many extra features that are outstandly good. // 8

R500 Reviewed by: gooseholla, on october 30, 2003

Features: This guitar is made in China and is pretty new. There are many features on this guitar for the price. It is a copy of a PRS (unknown model).Has 24 medium frets with an unusual style dot inlay,kind of multi colour perlescent effect. It has 1 tone and 1 volume and a 3 way selector Switch. Has two humbuckers. These are not your normal run of the mill cheap ones though these sound great! The necck is maple and the fretboard rosewood. The body is a solid alder. The finish is a sunburst effect. The bridge is a tune o matic with Vintage tremolo arm. The tuners are Stagg branded. // 8

Sound: This does classic rock well! I did try a bit of other stuff but I not sure how well it would do Jazz, it would do modern rock and blues ok. Trust me. It was pluffed into a Fender amp (unkown model) and was set to just amplify it. It does great in the neck position for all you rhythm players. This is a very warm sound. It does a great job at the bridge for all those leads and is very rich. There was no noise at all from the pickups, no hissing etc.. and they where great at full volume. The great part I will save to last..... leave the knob in the middle and let both pickups work! WOOOO! is all I can save. It is a great warm sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was very well setup allowing me to play bar chords as well at the 12 fret as I could the first. I could never ever play bar chords but this guitar was great for that. You harldy have to press down for the string to be fretted. This action seemed to be pretty high for the guitar but was still very very low. I could bend the strings very easily too.Although the tremolo arm only allows down bends and is very hard to use. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't used it for a gig yet so I cannot say. The hardware seems sturdy and it seems like it will last. The pickups you may want to replace down the road at some stage but for the price they are simply great! The strap buttons solid enough. The finisih is nice but a chip by the strap button on the end of the guitar where someone smacked it? Thrown a tantrum? Anyway I got 20 off for that. I could depend on this guitar for a few years and maybe a backup if I got a more xpensive one. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mainly classic rock and this matches it great. I been playing over a year now and already own a Hohner lx 90 which I must say is very hard to play, set up etc... The Stagg R500 is much better than the Hohner in every way. If it was stolen I would buy it again... definatly! I love the looks, the sound and the feel of this guitar and would rec. it anyone thinking of getting a starter/intermediate guitar. // 10

R500 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 25, 2009

Price paid: € 165

Purchased from: Mainmusic

Features: I bought this guitar just a few weeks ago in november 2009 in the Netherlands. I believe the neck is normal to thin and the frets are rosewood. The neck is glued to the body and the darkblue transparent finish is really good! The body has an archtop and has tigerstriped wood, I don't really know which wood. It's a prs-style guitar. The neck is easy to play. It has two humbuckers without covers and it has a simple tremolo (working downwords only). The snares are through body. The electronics are passive, they're switchable in 3 ways (bridge, neck, both) and there is a volume and tone-knob. The pickups are high-gain, more gain than an Epiphone Flying V from 1994. The guitar came with just one cable. To me the features are great, because of the sounds it creates. Compared to the price I'd say its really great. // 9

Sound: The R500 tigerstripe-blue is a great guitar for warm and full sounds. It sounds also very vivid and more sparkling than my Epiphone Flying V. I play for about 90% metal and this R500 is very good at that! The humbuckers have high output and the sustain is great! It is not noisy, and therefore very good for powermetal and prog, I believe. I have a Vox AD100VTH and with that amp and this guitar I wouldn't need another guitar if I did not also want to have a very low-tuned doommetal-axe. But the R500 also is generally suitable for blues, rock and even more styles. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I could not find any flaws. I was surprised by the finish though; the dark blue covers all but a small part of the side of the archtop. It looks as if that was done on purpose. The pickups are adjusted well enough. After a few uses of the tremolo, the low e-snare started to be noisy on the first fret so that needed adjustment. Furthermore the guitar is solid. The action is pretty low. Lower than any tune-o-matic-bridged guitar. Probably can be adjusted better though. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Its a solid guitar. I would certainly use it on stage. Always have a backup! Not because of the quality of this guitar, but with any guitar please have a backup live. Everything seems to be built to last. I bought this one to have a guitar in normal tuning. Buttons are solid, the jack-out is solid, everything is solid enough to last for years it seems. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a lot of metal and the guitar is very well suited for that! A tight vivid full sound with lots of sustain. My first guitar was a Stagg, I bought that Les Paul in 1993. It was far less solid, but good enough to start with (and learn how to adjust). Now that I have increased my skills through several bands I certainly am happy with this kind of prs-style guitar.I would buy it again, because 165 euros is very little for this kind of guitar. You could not buy a much better guitar until you pay about 900 euros or so. I only wish it had a floydrose tremolo, but you do have to pay for that. The darkblue tigerstripe transparent highgloss finish is excellent! // 9

More Stagg reviews rating category latest review
+ SEL-ZEB 7.8 Electric Guitars 04/14/2014