S300 Review

7.2
reviews (10) pictures (6) 29 comments vote for this gear:
S300 Reviewed by: Punk_MetalOrHC?, on september 06, 2005

Purchased from: Local Shop

Features: It was made in 2003 in China. It's a black and white Strat copy and has 21 jumbo frets. I kept it completely standard ('cause I know nothing about customizing). It has 3 single coils (it's a Strat). The hardware is pretty good for the price. It has a volume knob and 2 tone knobs and a tremolo. The pickup selector is a little noisy. The tuners stay in tune for a pretty long time. The only downsides are that the guitar is pretty heavy and the strap buttons aren't so good either. // 10

Sound: The sound is pretty good (but of course not like a real Strat). You can play any kind of music on it from clean to punk and alot more. It's a little noisy. Especialy the higher strings can be buzzy sometimes. But it's not that bad that it gets anoying. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It was in good condition when I got it. I only had tighten one of the tuners 'cause it was loose and one of the pickups was to low. There wasn't anything else wrong on it. The finish on this thing is just amazing. Everything looks great. The action is good. Soloing can be a little harder than on an Epiphone or something but it's still good for such a cheap guitar. You'll just have to get used to it. It has jumbo frets too to make things a liitle easier. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I played gigs with it without a backup and it has never failed me. And with all the abuse it has taken it's still in very good condition: it only has a few minor scratches on the back and it fell of a couple on stairs and it only lost a little chip of wood on the head. The tuners will stay in tune for a long time, no matter how hard you play. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a very good guitar I've been playing it for almost 2 years and it still looks like new. I use it mainly for punk, but you can play almost any kind of music on it. I'd say that it's a very good guitar for beginners: it's pretty easy to play and realy cheap (it was the cheapest I could find, that's why I bought it, and I'm still very happy about it). // 10

S300 Reviewed by: daralrmatic, on february 01, 2006

Purchased from: Drums & co

Sound: This is a good guitar for real beginners. I mostly play metal like Metallica, Hatesphere, but for that genre the guitar isn't suited then you can better buy an Ibanez Starter Kit. The guitar is best suited I think for like blues or jazz (the genres were you don't really need a super sound). For metal this guitar sucks, it has no full or rich sound only a high tone, wich is verry anoying after a while. // 1

Action, Fit & Finish: The set-up was great for the price of the guitar, afterwards I also could always return to the shop for probs. You have, and that is verry usefull cause after 3 months this guitar starts to have one problem after the other. Tunners get stuck, or stop worcking, and again the sound produced of this guitar is really awfull. The neck is pretty good it's good to like play solo's, but thats the only good thing probally about this guitar. The guitar looks pretty good there were no flaws in the begining except the sound again. There were no loose controls, etc. // 7

Reliability & Durability: If you play with this guitar at first everybody will laugh cause even if you play correct it doesn't sound that good. After a while people will start to get crazy cause the guitar produces these verry sharp high tones. The hardware will last it think it's all pretty good. The strap buttons really suck when I play with it the guitar constanly falls so I just removed the strap and I play when I sit down. The finish is really cool the color like depends on the way you look at it so thats really cool. // 5

Overall Impression: I would say it's a pretty good guitar for a beginner for about a year but then you start to notice the major flaws in this guitar. You can also never get good sound out of this guitar. The best thing about this guitar is the neck and the finish. If it were stolen it would be sad for one minute and want a litle bit of my money back but I wouldn't buy it again. Don't get me wrong, to begin and to play blues/jazzy this is a good guitar but if you wan't to play metallica, dream theater, hatesphere, this guitar sucks. // 2

S300 Reviewed by: Major Mashed, on may 13, 2010

Purchased from: Local Shop (winchester, Uk)

Features: I purchased the NS version of the S300 with 21 frets. The body itself is made of solid Alder wood with an intreging walnut printed scratch plate. The wood is semi glossed and looks like a basic Stratocaster copy. The neck is made from Maple with a Rosewood fret board. This guitar is passive featuring three single coil pickups with a five-way selector, two tone dials and one volume dial. Mine came with all the allen keys needed for tweeking and a wammy bar as standard. // 8

Sound: My music focuses arround a clean sound such as Led Zeppelin, B.B King, Stone Temple Pilots. This guitar cannot match (in sound qualitly) the guitars they use but for the price payed it can produce a rich full tone thats very satasfying on the top pickup. However the other pickups can produce abit of white noise also they arn't very good at holding harmonics. With the overdrive setting on it feels flat, heartless and empty, i don't recomend them for metal players but on clean its not too shabby. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory settings were 'ok'. I needed to rejust the teeth as some of the screws wern't all the same. Also I needed to ajust the elevation but that was for my comfort. The pickups were at the correct distance as so they didn't obstruct the strings. The bridge is made of plastic and shouldn't break too easily but I intend to replace this for peace of mind. Mine did have two small finish flaws which the shop offered to replace the guitar but insted I chose a discount as I know over time it will get knoked arround anyway. I also replaced the factory strings with some Ernie Ball super slinkys as they have always been a favoret of mine. Playing the guitar itself is as exspected form a begginers guitar, a nice wide fret board with responsive string bending capabilitys, very easy to get used to. However the string tightening ratio is quite high as any small ajustment using the pegs will have a dramatic change in tone on the string so its best to be careful when setting the guitar down. Also the asphectics such as the tone and volume dials are abit basic but the can be easily pulled off should anyone want to replace them. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I play for amusment so I can't judge if this would withstand live playing but the wood quality and tuning pegs are soild. However using the whammy bar will put the strings out of tune but one good feature is that it is a screw-in so it wont 'ping' out in a solo. The lead socket on mine was securly screwed in but it is worth keeping an eye on it as they do have a tendency to come loose. The finish is chunky so I can't imagine it wearing off any time soon but like all things they will wear out eventurly. I don't use a strap as I don't play live so I can't comment if the strap pegs are any good but it is a good solid peace of work and should last a long time. // 6

Overall Impression: I wanted a cheap guitar I liked so I can upgrade the pickup's and asphetics when I please, I payed 100 and I got what I payed for so I can't complane. This is a basic begginer guitar that I would recomend for those who like a rich clean sound however this guitar is cheap so don't exspect the world from it or good overdrive sound. For me it is ideal as I like to play Led Zepplin alot and to have a rich clean sound was what I was after in this prise range. I have played Acoustic for several years and want something different with out paying a lot and this guitar has comfortably provided that change. If it were stolen I would be tempted (like most people) to try something new but I am satisyied with it. The features I dislike is the slight white noise when left on standby but I intended to replace the pickup's anyway. I also dislike the dials but I also intended to replace these. The aspects I most prefer with this guitar is the sound the top pickup produces and its apperance. What must be beared in mind is that this is a cheap begginers guitar and it fits that criteria. I am comparing this to other begginers guitars in the 80-140 price range and I feel it deservers a good 7 as the only serous down side is the sound quality but like I keep repeating it is a cheap guitar. However I enjoy playing it and I do recomend it, with some costom work I will be a hole new guitar. // 7

S300 Reviewed by: guitarist5001, on january 07, 2008

Purchased from: Nearby shop

Features: This guitar is a Strat copy so it comes with all the features you would expect from a Strat, 5-way selector, volume knob, two tone knobs, whammy bar. I haven't customised my Stagg at all (I have got no idea how). But the thing that sets this guitar apart for me was that I bought in a pack with a tiny ten watt amp, bag, a set of strings, pitch pipe for only 290 AUD. This is great value even if I have had to replace the amp due to it's awful sound. // 7

Sound: I use a large 50 watt amp with this guitar and it suits the style I play (alternative to heavy rock) fairly well. And it produces a fairly good sound in this style. This guitar can also be used to generate sound from a very clean sound to a heavily distorted one. And it handles these styles with some skill. It's starings are also fairly easy to bend for a rather highish action guitar which adds to genre versatility. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was completely flawless when I bought it. With absolutely nothing wrong with it as you would expect with a new guitar. This guitar is fairly high action but I am used to that from years of playing with acoustics. A problem I found with it though is that when the wahmmy bar is used it puts the guitar out of tune very fast but this is understanable given the price of the guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definatly withstand Live playing it is a very solid guitar! The hardware seems like it will definatly last as there really is not much that could go wrong with this guitar. I've had this guitar for just over a year and nothing much has gone wrong however the socket for the cable is getting a bit loose which is easily fixed but as someone else pointed out the strap buttons allow my strap to fall off very easily which really is annoying. Otherwise this is a reliable and fairly durable guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: I play music by a large number of bands including Coldplay, Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin. And this guitar matches these styles of alternative rock to heavy rock fairly well. I have been playing for almost 3 years and I own a Johnson 50r amp, a Stagg 10 GA P and a few Acoustic guitars. But when this guitar is matched with my larger, higher qaulity 50 watt amp it is a very good guitar. And for the price I payed for it (roughly 290 australian) it was definatly worth the money. However it is really a beginner's guitar so if it were say lost I would not purchase it again. // 8

S300 Reviewed by: HeartRaz0r, on february 15, 2008

Purchased from: Local Music store

Features: My guitar was made 2001 in Japan. It has 21 jumbo frets. It has this white scratch plate, wich doesn't look that nice anymore if you play sometimes on it. It's a Strat style piece of crap, with a Vintage tremolo and crappy pickups wich are getting really noisy. You have a pickup selector, volume and 2 tone knobs. Mine came with a gig bag, a cable, and a strap. It's not very good but have some awesomeness for a cheap guitar. // 6

Sound: It suits for classic rock, wich I play, and using wah and delay is nice on it. On brighter sound it gets noisy and well, it can get really noisy if you turn the volume up. It hasn't that much variety cause it's hard to get heavy metal sound with that guitar. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: It's rly great finished for that money you pay, but it could be better. The tone knobs are loose sometimes, and if you use the tremolo, the strings are doing some noises you don't want. It needed a bit setup at first, but then it stays in tune for weeks, I rly like that. // 5

Reliability & Durability: You won't play Live with that, but I did. It was a mistake, on stage I changed the guitar. It will last, but if you abuse it, not anymor. The strap buttons suck a bit, and get loose after a while. I would never use it on a gig without a backup. Well the finish is good enough to last, and you'll be satisfied of it. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm playing mostly all kinds of rock/metal/punk and it just suits to punk and rock. I own some other useless guitars, this one is the jewel of useless guitars. I should ask for a Epiphone Les Paul Special before I bought this one, it was an mistake. If it weere stolen or lost I wouldn't even search it anymore and I had a very good reason to make my parents buy me a new guitar. I hate it's noisy pickups sometimes, but that depends on wich amp you play. My favourite Feature is, that the gutiar stays in tune for weeks and during using/abusing tremolo, wich surprises me. I compare it with some Ibanez beginner guitars, but this one should be better than them. I wish that it had an Humbucker in bridge position and an licensed Floyd Rose, than it could be the perfect beginners guitar. // 9

S300 Reviewed by: joesamsnow, on may 30, 2008

Features: This Stagg has 21 frets, a solid top, and it's neck is made from Maplewood. It has the bodystyle of a Strat, and has a 5 way selecter, 2 tone controls and 1 volume control. It has 3 pickups, 1 of which is a humbucker. The tuners are non-locking. I got this in a starter pack, so it included a gig bag, strap, cable, spare strings and a beginners teaching guie. // 6

Sound: My style of music is rock, and this kind of suits any type of music. It is what I call an allrounder. I use it with my Cheetah 30w amp and Behringer SF300 pedal most of the time. It does give a bit of feedback, but not too much. The sound is full, however there are not many variations to the sound. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is not spectacular, as sometimes the strings buzz. The pickps are good quality, The bridged and nut have been properly fitted and set up. Some of the fret markers had stains on them, which was quite suprising as Stagg make excellent quality guitars. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would withstand Live gig's etc, as it is really light. The hardware does seem like it would last quite a long time, and the strap buttons are solid. The finish will last quite a long time, however will wear off eventually. // 7

Overall Impression: I think this matches my personal needs, as it is a low budget guitar, and comes in a pack with most other essentials for only 139.99. I have been playing for 3 years, and this is my first electric guitar. As I have said before, I own 1 FX pedal and 2 amps (30w + 10w), but also a Nevada acoustic guitar for 89.99. If this guitar was stolen or lost, I would buy a different guitar, probably a Gibson SG, as that would suit my style even more. I love the colour (Navy Blue) and finish to the guitar, and also the maplewood neck, as I can slide donw the fretboard faster. I chose this guitar to start of with because it came in a beginner pack, and was on my budget. I wish this guitar had a harder wearing body and finish, but overall, this is a good guitar. I would reccomend this guitar to beginners with a low budget. // 6

S300 Reviewed by: Amer91, on august 18, 2009

Features: I got this guitar when I first started learning to play on the electric guitar. It's made in China. It has 21 small frets, a 25.5 inch scale length. I got mine in a transparent red finish. The body looks like a Strat, and the bridge is a six point tremolo bridge. It has 3 passive single coil pickups, a 5-way switch, a master volume, and separate tone knobs for the neck and middle pickup. The tuners are non-locking which makes the whammy bar useless. I got mine with a cable, a gig bag, and a strap. // 6

Sound: The sound is I get from this guitar is not that bad. When I got, I was playing stuff like Nirvana and Audioslave, and this guitar was good for that style. I used to plug into a Roland Cube 15 amplifier, and the clean sound was great. The pickups weren't all that noisy even with overdrive, but they got extremely noisy with heavy distortion. I could get nice clean tones for arpeggios and strumming, as well some funk tones. Even with some overdrive, I could get a nice blues tone with it. One thing this guitar is terrible for is metal. You can't play metal with this guitar. The pickups get too noisy, and some of the notes don't even ring out properly. But this guitar isn't built for metal anyways. It's good for rock, blues, and funk. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was very high when I got it, but that was easy to take care of. The pickup height was perfect and didn't require any modification. The finish and most of the hardware were flawless. The tuners were too loose and needed some tightening. In general, this guitar was not setup too well, but the modifications it required were minimal. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've gigged only once with it but it didn't take any beating. The hardware doesn't last all that long. I've had it for around 4 years and and the hardware recently began to oxidize and rust a bit. I've noticed that pickup poles have bits of rust of them, and the bridge is a bit oxidized. The strap buttons are small so I recommend changing them for Live playing. I definitely wouldn't gig with this guitar now that I have new one, but if I had to use it, I wouldn't bring a backup. It goes out of tune after a few songs, but that can easily be fixed. // 6

Overall Impression: When I got this I was playing a lot of grunge and rock from the 90s. This guitar was good for that style but now I'm into progressive metal and death metal and shred(Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Bukethead...), and this guitar is terrible for that. The pickups are too weak for those styles, and playing fast just gets noisy with this guitar, especially on the high register. It's good for most things except metal. Right now I own a Line 6 PODxtLive, a Roland Cube 15, and a Dean Vendetta 4\.0. I don't use this guitar much anymore, because it has become useless for me since I have a better guitar. I love the nice clean tone I can get with it, and the neck feels good in my hands.If it were stolen I wouldn't buy another one, because it's generally a beginner's guitar, and doesn't suit the styles I now play. I only wished it had better pickups and locking tuners. That would make this guitar more versatile. But still, it's great beginners guitar, and it's good for rock, funk, blues, grunge, and a bit of Latin. // 7

S300 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 23, 2010

Price paid: € 169

Purchased from: Klom Muziek

Features: I bought this Stagg Stratocaster copy as a sort of beginner guitar, but it plays better as my Fender Stratocaster which is custom shop designed. The Stagg has a copper logo on the neck, and a rosewood neck. I have seen other stagg's stratocasters which haven't the same good finish. Its like the Squier bullits but then much better, I once owned a squeir bullit but the paint comes of in a few years, this Stagg is mucgh better quality! // 10

Sound: It obviously sounds better as my fender, how I tested this, I asked a few peple to listen to the sound without looking and then asked them which sound was better... 100 % of the foutr peole I asked liked the sound of the Stagg gbetter as my custon shop designed fender. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish was good, although I allways lower the action of the guitars I but to the minimum possible, the neck of this Stagg Stratocaster is very straight! I had to lower the pickups a little, but I allways have to adjust the picups after I buy a guitar. This Stratocaster was so wll finished for a stratocaster. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yes, yes and again yes, of course there are better guitars, I own a 1971 Aria which plays better and also I have a Gretch Corvette which plays better (however the sound of the corvette is not superb) I would certainly use it at a gig without backup. But I would take, just for sure an extra set of strings, however I f you cange the twice a year there is no real worry in breaking then. You can certainly depend on it. // 10

Overall Impression: For this money you can't buy a better stratocaster, if you buy a london city, a fender, or a squier, you might think you buy a better guitar because of the brand and price, but that are just the emperors new clothes, if you own one, don't sell it for less you bought it, it is a great guitar!! I have been playing it now for over 5 years. You should lower the elements a little, factory default the are too close to the strings. I love it because it plays better as my Fender statocasren custom shop designed which I bought from Klom, 's-hertogenbpsch also. // 10

S300 Reviewed by: Rio38, on september 23, 2010

Purchased from: Penn Avenue Music

Features: I recently purchased a 2010 Stagg S300 red/black made in China. This is a Start shaped guitar which I purchased my 9 year old son who is going to be taking guitar lessons at his school this year. The finish is very nice on the body and the rosewood fingerboard are very nice. The neck is very comfortable and easy to get around. The two tone knobs and the volume knob as well as the pickup selector seem very solid. All-in-all the guitar seems well built and well balanced. // 9

Sound: The sound is very good for a Strat copy. I thought the Stagg pickups would be very noisy but they are surprisingly quiet and have a decent tone to them. I mainly use Guitar Rig for the computer or run it through my 120 watt halfstack with an Ibanez Overdrive pedal which suites this guitar pretty well. The action is very good with minor fret buzz on the low strings. It is very easy to reach the upper frets because of the smooth neck and fretboard. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup by a guitar tech and the action is very much to my liking. Nice and low with minimal fret buzz on the lower strings. The guitar did not contain any flaws and the finish is terrific. The neck feels great and is easily accessible when you need to use the upper frets. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar, even with Stagg tuners, stays in tune great. I have used the tremolo bar and it stays in tune like a dream. Everything seems like it will hold up fine. I would use this as a backup to my MIM Strat if I needed to. It also seems like it would hold up well to transporting it from place to place. The finish is durable and smooth as glass. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is great for a beginner to intermediate player who is looking for an affordable alternative to a Fender strat. I own a Fender Strat and the weight, balance, and feel are pretty much on target. It lacks a bit in the pickups and electronics compared, but still a very nice guitar in its own right. I actually find myself picking this guitar up when I am practicing and find it very nice. // 9

More Stagg reviews rating category latest review
+ SEL-ZEB 7.6 Electric Guitars 04/14/2014