SEL-ZEB Review

9.2
 5.9
review (1) pictures (2) 12 comments vote for this gear:
SEL-ZEB Reviewed by: songbird64, on april 14, 2014

Features: I bought my beautiful Stagg in January 2014. It has 21 frets with perloid inlays. The fingerboard is rosewood. The body is made out of mahogany with a maple arch top. The neck is also made out of mahogany. The finish is a high gloss metallic red. This guitar has a Les Paul body style. As far as features go it is basically an off brand Les Paul. It even has Tune-O-Matic bridge. The tuners are Kluson-style. The tuners are probably average. They are not the best, nor the worst that I have used. The guitar features a three way toggle switch, two tone controls, and two volume controls. It has two Zebra humbucker pickups. My local music store threw in 10 picks, a cable, and a spare set of strings free of charge so I got a deal that I could not pass up. // 9

Sound: My guitar suits my music style super well. I mostly play '60s and '70s rock like The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Queen, so on and so fourth. I also play Nirvana and Oasis quite often. I currently use a Peavey Vypyr VIP 1 20-Watt amp with my guitar which has built in effects. The guitar is pretty loud. I usually have it and my amp turned down as low as possible and you can still hear it outside the house without any open windows. I can easily get both a rich tone and a bright tone from this guitar. This guitar is VERY versatile with the sounds it can make. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set up perfectly at the factory, in my opinion. I can easily bend the strings, use hammerons, use vibrato, use slide, and use barre chords. I have not had to adjust the action at all. The pickups were a bit low for my taste, so I had to heighten both of them. They did not seem to be very active until I heightened them. The guitar does not contain any flaws that I can see. It doesn't have any rusted frets or badly filed frets. The wood seems like it is awesome quality. The paint also seems evenly distributed. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I believe that this guitar would handle a gig just fine. I personally have never played it live but it seems that it would do fine. The hardware seems very sturdy also. The strap buttons, however I do not trust. The buttons themselves seem sturdy, but my strap almost comes off sometimes so I would recommend strap locks. I would play this guitar live without a backup. I have recently been offered to join the band at my church and I would use this guitar with no worries. The finish seems like it will last. The guitar does not have a pickguard, so naturally I am a bit nervous about it getting scratches, but so far it seems fine. // 9

Overall Impression: The style of music that i play is mostly old rock and '90s rock and it fits those styles perfectly. I have been playing for 2 to 2 1/2 years now. I currently own an acoustic Fender. My Stagg is the only electric I own currently, but I am saving up for a Stratocaster. If my Stagg were stolen I would definitely buy it again. I love the sound, play ability, and action of the guitar. My least favorite thing with this guitar are the tuning machines. They are good but they could be better. I compared this guitar with Epiphones. I chose Stagg because it seemed like better quality for the money and it has a lot of the same features as a Gibson Les Paul. I love this guitar and would recommend it to the beginner and professional alike. // 9

More Stagg reviews rating category latest review
+ C542 8.2 Acoustic Guitars 07/29/2013