T300 Review

6.6
review (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
T300 Reviewed by: SuperAnalytical, on april 10, 2006

Purchased from: House of Guitars

Features: The Stagg T300 is a Tele-body guitar made in China with traditional Tele stylings. These include the 3-ply (white/black/white) pickguard, fat single-coil bridge pickup, 'tube' neck pickup, 3 saddle bridge, 'top hat' pickup switcher, 6 in-line tuners, Satin finish neck, and football-style jack. The scale is traditional Fender 25.5" with a medium sized neck. The body is Alder (from the look of things) with a Satin finish maple neck and fretboard. The finish on mine is a full sunburst (black to red to lighter brown). The bridge is Tele-style with three saddles (2 strings sit on one saddle). On this guitar there is all-chrome hardware. For controls there is a 3-way pickup selector with a top-hat Switch and 2 chrome knobs for volume and tone. The headstock of this is similar to those of the SX guitars found at rondomusic. net with traditional Schaller-style Stagg non-locking tuners. With this I also bought a House of Guitars specialy customized gig bag by Levy's-one of the best gear brands in my opinion. // 8

Sound: I mostly play Foo Fighters type of stuff with the band I am in (and we range from the softer side of the Foo to the hard rock side). This guitar could do better but for what I got it for (modifying, back-up guitar) it will do fine. I'm using this along with a Vox AD15VT amp which I love, with 2 effects pedals, a Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory and an EHX Small Clone. There is some slightly noticeable 60 cycle hum from the single coils as expected, but nothing too harsh. A nice blues sound comes from the neck while the bridge is punchy. It does what I want it to do just fine. Hopefully with my plans for it, I'll get more of what I want. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was just right for me, except the low E string, which will require a little height adjustment. The 3 complaints I have about this guitar are: and oxidized knob, sharp frets on the fret-marked sides of the fretboard, and you are able to see the gap between the bridge and bridge pickup's routing. There are also a couple of sharp screws, but that is a simple task to take care of. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Hopefully this guitar will give me what I want from it. As a back-up and modding guitar, it should hold up pretty well, but how well is yet to be seen. At this point in time, the first upgrade I will get for it is a set of Home Depot strap locks (washers on the screws with a permanent strap on it). Since this is my back-up, I doubt I would have to use it as my main guitar for any gig, unless something were to happen to my beloved Ibanez Artcore. The finish already has some dents in it from being in a very careless shop (good, but careless). Luckily most of these are on the back of the guitar. // 5

Overall Impression: So far, this guitar will do. I'm not interested in making this my main guitar, nor am I interested in putting a ton of money into it. If it does what I want from a back-up, then it will be wonderful. If I had the money, I would have gotten a Fender Mustang which played and felt a whole lot better then this, but this guitar will do for what I want. In this price range, this guitar is quite good. I compared it to a Squier Tele which was far more troublesome. I also played an almost $3,000 Fender Custom Shop Tele which had obviously been abused and this played just fine compared to it. // 7

More Stagg reviews rating category latest review
+ SEL-ZEB 7.6 Electric Guitars 04/14/2014