X300 Review

manufacturer: Stagg date: 09/22/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Stagg: X300
It has the B.C. Rich widow headstock, but it's not a B.C. Rich. All in all, it's worth buying, it's a great guitar with a great sound.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.3
 8.2
 8.1
 8.2
reviews (6) pictures (1) 17 comments vote for this gear:
X300 Reviewed by: gary666, on june 07, 2004

Features: - 24 frets - 2 Stagg Humbucker pickups - Shiny transparent black finish never gets a scratch - 1 Volume and 1 Tone controls - 3 way sector Switch (Lead,Even and Rhythm) // 8

Sound: This guitar suites my music style perfectly! But I stil prefer to use Distortion! This does sound muffled on amps made by Fender and it does'nt sound as rich and you don't get the normal 'Crunch' sound that it gives off. This guitar is very noisy which I believe is just the quality of the pickups. This guitar can go from a lead type (High sustain, Brighter sound whilst still holding its heaviness) to Rhythm (Darker sound, still sustain but not as rich a sound, Heavier crunch!) // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was in perfect condition when I got it (and still is!). There wer no faults, marks or any problems with it. The Pickups are adjusted not too close to the strings and not too far away either! Right in the middle! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will not mark! Ive accidently banged it a few times. I haven't played live with it yet, but I think that it will be alright! The finish seem very good (as i said before no scratches!) The strap buttons are good and work well if you have a good quality strap. I can depend on this guiatr a lot but i'll never play live without a backup (its common sense!). // 8

Overall Impression: I'm into playing Metal and some clean stuff aswel, this guitar fits both of my styles, if you don't have a Fender amp that is! I have been playin for 4 years, all i have is two guitars (an Encore something and a Stagg X300), a huge (blown) amp, and a mini-amp (portible belt clip version). I'd wish that I should have asked for a free amp but hey, what can you do?! If this guitar was stolen or lost, I would probibly buy another guitar. It's not that the guitar sucks or something I'm just into change! What i love about this guitar is the shape. It looks cool and fits in with the music style that I play. I also love the sound that the pickups produce! What I hate about this guitar is the pain and discomfort that you get if you don't sit with it right. If you sit down to play it and your slouched, the spikes dig into your chest, so you have to straighten your back (you get used to it after a bit). I also Hate it when dust gets on it and then the sun shines on it. Because its black, the dust shows up really well. My faverite feature is the whole thing! The shape, the sound, the color. It's all good! I wish that it had the B\.C\. Rich widow headstock, but it's not a B\.C\. Rich. All in all, it's worth buying, it's a great guitar with a great sound! // 10

X300 Reviewed by: emusaregay, on october 11, 2004

Features: This guitar was made in 2000 when the old version of the guitar needed updating. It was made in japan and it has 22 frets. It has a thin neck which feels like you are holding a guitar; not a baseball bat. It has standard sized frets and is highly sensitive. It has a solid top and has quality alder body and neck woods. It has a grey flamed top finish and has the body shape of a Les Paul. Isn't string-thru and has a solid built-in bridge. Has active electronics and 2 volume and tone controls for both double coil-pickups. // 8

Sound: The sound is mental. It's clear and sweet. The guitar itself is very sensitive and perfect for finger-tapping. Unwanted harmonics are taken out when playing this beast on full gain. The guitar has a 3 way pitch lever settings of treble and rhythm. I use flanger with it on a 30 watt Marshall. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar has a built through neck. Everything seems like it was built by a god. Everything is perfectly set out and in place. The only flaw in the guitar was a wobbly pickup. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been with me on 2 gigs in which the only back-up guitar I needed was a guitar tuned Higher. The strap buttons are solid and my strap has never come off unless I have taken it off. All the hardwhere seems like it will last cause it has lasted! The finish hasn't wore off but, it does collect fingerprints and grease marks easily and they don't come out so easy! // 10

Overall Impression: My band, Lie Forgotten, play loud, overdriven heavy nu-metal music. My guiat is usually tuned to D or C and the strings don't feel like elastic when strumming fast tremolo picked riffs. I have been playing for a year and the first guitar I had was a Fender Strat copy. It sucked! I fit got stolen, not only would I be gutted, but I'd run to the shop I bought it from and order a new one. I love the feel of the axe; I love picturing myself on a big stage after a gig proudly holding the guitar that made that crowd go wild. My favourite feature of the guitar is its sensitivity. The only thing I hate is the weight. I compared it to a Stagg SG, but I chose this because it fitted me perfectly. The only thing I wish it had was a hot lady to come with it! // 10

X300 Reviewed by: MetalNick, on november 26, 2005

Purchased from: Tonika Music

Features: Bought as brand new 2 months ago. 24 frets, 2 humbuckers, Rosewood, mat black (according to Staggmusic. com Gothic Black). BC Rich look. 1 Volume and 1 Tone contol, 3-way selector. // 8

Sound: The site of the store I bought it at said it was a X300 Metal, and it really honors the name. Although I use a Ultra Distortion and a Metal Zone pedal, it also sounds vey good without effects, even though my 40 watt amp ain't to good. I have unearthed sockets, so there is some noise with 1 pedal on, and when I have both on it's hell, but that can be my amp too. No effects = no unwanted noise, even on high volume. Now as I said it has a very metal like sound, but with some adjustments on either your amp or effects, it has a lot of variety, more than my cheap Stratocaster. And it doesnt have the weird high tones on the 3, 2 and 1 snare. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The standard set up is unchanged since I've had it, and as I said before, it really honors it's name. Everything was (and is) right about this guitar. The only flaw on this (for people who ram as much on theire guitar as they can), there is no protection near the strings on the body. When you slip or something, you are most likely to get a light scratch on the body. The one I bought had 3 weird point shaped damaging at the bottom of the body. But thats something happend in the store, as well as the tremelo hook was stolen. Now, the stap buttons on are not placed as on a Strat. One is near the top-pointy thing, the other is at the bottom of the body, might take some times until you can put it on without having the srap killing you or beiing al wrapped up. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will suit live performances, and it's almost like it won't get damaged, even though you can see the marings of your fingers on the body and rear side of the neck, ya can whipe 'em off cant ya? I can't say much on the hardware, but it hasn't given any problems (the day I bought it, it was pouring, luckaly I had a fast bicycle and a waterproof bag). I've played this guitar every day for 2 months now, so id be suprised if it would ever break down on a gig. As said before, it just won't be damaged. I do notice I get cramps in my hand, but that's because the Strat has a wider neck. // 10

Overall Impression: It's more metal than a Flying V if you ask me, but also because of the diversity of sounds its a great match. I have been playing for 21 months now, practicing every single day, and it outstands my other guitars. It's a shame I didn't get a tremelo now I'm into music with riff that go beyond the curving ability of some of my fingers, but I could get one later. If it were stolen (exuse me if this offends anyone) I would hunt the thief down and tear him lid from lid, and whipe his name out of exsistance. I was at the store and saw a damaged Flying V, 20 euros less, yet, I liked the X300 over the V, only thing I can compare it with is are the Explorers and V's, but I'll leave the choise up to you. If I would have had the money for a LEs PAul or Explorer, then I'd go for those, but this has the best quality/price ratio of all guitars I've played. // 10

X300 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 25, 2006

Purchased from: Guitar Amp Keyboard

Features: It's a 2005 Guitar manufactured in Asia. Same specifications as all the other reviews. Quite good for a guitar in it's price range. // 8

Sound: I play everything from Red Hot Chili Peppers to Metallica to Offspring to System Of A Down. Chord's aren't particularly clear through the humbuckers at all but it plays single notes quite well. The humbuckers are loud, and you need an amp with a real noise gate to shut it down (I play with a Roland Cube so the noise isn't too bad). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up is absolutely crap. Fret buz on the first few frets and the humbuckers were misaligned. The pickups were set up ok but changing them to suit my playing wasn't difficult as with most humbuckers. The neck is quite unpleasant to play on compared to higher price range guitars, however for this price range it is quite good. The shape of the guitar is something I quickly got over and it has posed akward whilst using guitar stands and transporting the guitar in gigbags. I have managed to dent the guitar already and chipped off some finish due to its edges being so prominent. The strap buttons also started to fall off recently (the screws are just coming out) however they weren't very sturdy to begin with. The nobs have been poorly glued on and often fall out, as long as the cable jack. It's a novelty guitar for those who are starting out guitar, and is quite good for this purpose, however perhaps those who are learning guitar would be better served my an Epiphone or ESP LTD guitar. Also the tuning peg for the E string is quite loose. // 3

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for 6 months and it's started falling apart big time now. When you first get the guitar it seems sturdy and strong but rest assured once you've had it for a while and actually play it 2 hours a day, it begins to die quite quickly. It's shape isn't that interesting and just to prove how clueless the previous reviewers were the shape is actually modelled after an ESP AX series guitar and not a BC Rich guitar! It's good for a newbie who wants to look at their guitar, but if you want something to learn or play on for an affordable price, this guitar falls short in many ways. // 4

Overall Impression: I've been playing for a year and this was my second budget guitar. Obviously you shouldn't go comparing this guitar to a 2000 dollar guitar, however if you compare this guitar to a Yamaha Pacifica or a Epiphone it massively falls short of quality. It's more of eye candy then anything and this is the main reason it sells, because after all the Strat style shape of the Pacifica (which is a fantastic budget guitar) and the quite ordinary shapes of the budget Epiphones aren't exactly the most popular for those who want to show off. But rest of sured if you're interested in playing rather then just looking cool, don't buy this guitar. You probably think I just whinge a lot or am comparing this guitar to a high range guitar due to the bad review I gave it compared to the other guitar reviews, but trust me, I'm just being honest, I did have a love affair with this guitar for about a week where I would have given it a 10 star rating, however now that I've woken from that and actually objectively compared it, I can confidently say that this guitar fails the "good quality" test. It's eye candy, but it doesn't look anywhere as good as an ESP AX series anyway. // 3

X300 Reviewed by: Jakkle, on february 23, 2006

Sound: I like this things sound - lots of versitality. The 'rhythm' pickup gives a lovely dark crunch, perfect for open chords without screaming, very rich and full. Flick to the bridge 'lead' pickup, wack up the tone, and you get a beautiful clear sound in the top register. I'm using it through an ancient 'Marlin' Honer Amp, which is powerful, but not very clear. This guitar can sing through it very nicely though, no background noise unless your putting it through a miles worth of pedals and recording equipment, but I maintain that it's my Amp doing that. Word of warning though - very muffled through Fender practice amps. Big Fender machines; fine, but the mini ones just mush the sound completely. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is pretty good on this guitar. Towards the top it becomes slightly harder, but you'l never notice really. No faults or flaws at all as far as I can see, the nut can buzz a little if your tuning it flat, but thats not really a problem. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has and will withstand some serious onstage thrashing, and is very depandable. The strap buttons are positioned in such a way that means the joins are vertical at all times, so there is no chance of it falling off, and it dosen't cut through the leather quite as fast. I would happily play this thing in a gig without backup if I had to, though it's just common sense to do so anyway. The only slight problem is that scratches show up really badly what with the shiny black finish. Look after this axe though, and it will look after you. // 9

Overall Impression: I play just about every rock genre ever, and this guitar withstands it all perfectly. I've been playing for a year and a half now, and this was my first electric, got it about 10 months ago. I was on the lookout for a cheap guitar, and saw this model on a website - couldn't belive it for a minute. It looked too good to be true at such a price! If it were stolen, I would buy another one without even thinking. As far as money goes, you'll get 100 pleasures per pound with this thing. // 10

X300 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 22, 2010

Purchased from: ebay

Features: A couple years old, probably made in china, 24 frets on 25.5 scale, Standard Fender tremolo, black glossy finish, 2 humbuckers with 3way switch, volume and tone knobs. The body seems to be made from pine! - very light but no sustain at all. It would burn in 7 seconds if it caught fire, seems that the paint on the body weighs more than the wood. very simple neck with rosewood and normal frets, not jumbo. Basic tuners. // 8

Sound: Noisy pickups with no lows, trashy sound when distorted but amazingly clear sound without distorsion - like that but there's not much difference when you Switch the 3way switch. Good strings are a must! It came with the 10W Stagg amp, very loud and quite good for not distorted sound but overdrive on with this guitar sounds pathetic, not usable due to poor pickups on this guitar. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory setup was very bad. I changed strings, lowered the action. Then I tried to adjust the neck it would not bend where it supposed to! Instead of raising in the middle it raised around first few frets from the top of the neck, so the action is not even across the neck but dips significantly between 6thand 12th fret. The biggest problem is that they cut off to much of the rosewood on top and the nut is in the wrong place! This is the biggest flaw. Wen you tune the guitar on empty strings it sounds out of tune when you play it - awful! The neck is to flexible so the tuning changes to much when you change playing position. The plus is the frets are quite smooth and you can play fast. // 5

Reliability & Durability: It seems durable although the paint has chipped on the bottom and it shows how thick the paint actually is - too thick. It's bad for the sound but you can bump it around without scratches or dents. The neck head is very nicely finished on mine, well polished, no rough edges and I have the Stagg golden signature not the crappy oval plate you see on other models. // 9

Overall Impression: Bought 2nd hand but had almost no use. With this factory setup it would be very hard to play. I was not convinced about the shape but it grew on me with time. The major flaw with the neck is unacceptable and impossible to fix so I will sell it. I was hoping for a solid base for upgrading hardware and creating a custom setup but it would be a waste of cash. Honestly I do love more than a very good new Ibanez I used to have it but with this amount of problems it's not playable. I have to tune it every 15 minutes even with locked tremolo and tighten tuners. I recommend investing your money somewhere else and a lot more money, cause you do get what you pay for. All the best! // 7

More Stagg reviews rating category latest review
+ F300 7 Electric Guitars 09/17/2014