GL7TA Review

manufacturer: Steinberger date: 03/22/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Steinberger: GL7TA
This guitar is a perfect match for Eddie Van Halen's-style.
review (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
GL7TA Reviewed by: JamesLimborg, on march 22, 2008

Features: I ordered my Steinberger model GL7TA in 1994 from Steinberger (New York, NY). Gibson bought-out Steinberger since. 24-frets, solid-graphite-composite 1-piece neck and body, gloss white, GL-series shape, original Steinberger bridge and whammy-bar system with their trans-trem feature that allows the whammy-bar to be locked-in to 3 lower positions and 2 upper positions, 1-volume knob, active EQ with 1-bass knob and 1-treble knob, two EMG 89 pickups with 2 custom 3-way switches (each switch controls a pickup, up position = single coil, down position = dual-coil, middle position = pickup OFF), double-ball strings with tuning at the bridge, weighs 7 pounds. // 10

Sound: It suits my Eddie Van Halen-style perfect. I use a Marshall MG15DFX amp, bright sound, with a variety of sounds with the two 3-way toggle switches controlling the two EMG-89 pickups. My settings: I have the volume knob at 70%, the treble knob 50% UP from center, the bass knob 50% down from center, the bridge pickup on single-coil mode (the side of the EMG-89 pickup that is closest to the bridge I have ON). This creates a very bright, tight, crisp, detailed, clean distortion (very Eddie Van Halen-like) sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The Steinberger factory did an excellent job setting up this guitar, better than most guitar-repair people could being this is such a unique guitar. Low action, just how I like it, pickups adjusted great, and this guitar lasted 13 years before I had to send it in for the volume knob cutting out. I am very pleased with this guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As I mentioned above, this guitar lasted 13 years before I had to send it in for it's first repair of the volume knob cutting out. Has been very reliable, and being made of solid graphite (Neck and body both 1 piece), is very durable. The guitar I owned before this Steinberger model GL7TA was the model GL2T (same model Eddie Van Halen owns) in black. I played 4 years in a band with that black guitar and 1 year live with this white Steinberger guitar. They hold up very well in Live bands. The hardware has lasted since I bought it 13 years ago! I had purchased strap-locks back when I bought the guitar in 1994 and the strap locks are still in tact nice. The Steinberger model GL7TA is a very dependable guitar. I highly recommend it to any guitarist. The guitar finish is called gel coat, expensive to apply from what I've heard, it is melted into the graphite-composite making it very durable and after 14 years, my guitar looks like-new. The only sign of wear is on the bridge where my right hand rubs when muting the strings, the black paint on the metal bridge wore off in that small area, but does not affect the playing or functionality of the bridge. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock music mostly (Eddie Van Halen-style), this guitar is a perfect match for Eddie Van Halen's-style, Eddie Van Halen owns and used his Steinberger model GL2T in a few songs including summer nights where in the intro he uses the trans-trem to lock the whammy bar in the highest position and during the solo Eddie locks the whammy bar in a lower position. I rarely use the trans-trem feature because I would frequently break strings if I raise all the strings up to lock them into the highest position. If I use the trans-trem. I usually just lock the whammy bar down in lower positions to save from breaking a string. I've had this guitar since 1994. It's been 14 years! I still enjoy playing this guitar. // 10

More Steinberger reviews rating category latest review
+ Spirit XT-25 7.9 Bass Guitars 04/09/2014