Mercury 001 Review

manufacturer: Stellar date: 08/02/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Stellar: Mercury 001
Solid body, supposedly real "Mother Of Pearl" inlays, 22 frets, 2 humbuckers, set neck, 3-way toggle switch, rosewood fretboard.
 7.8
 7.8
 7.7
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Mercury 001 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 02, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Solid body, supposedly real "Mother Of Pearl" inlays, 22 frets, 2 humbuckers, set neck, 3-way toggle switch, rosewood fretboard, cherry sunburst finish. The finish is actually really substantial, I put a few dings in mine by accident, but only because I'm clumsy. Tune-O-Matic bridge and Les Paul style volume and tone knobs make this guitar look pretty cool. An additional locking hard case was included and is actually a good deal figuring the price. No cables or other accesories were included. To the untrained eye (or an audience) this could pass for 65-80% of a Gibson if it weren't for the giant "Stellar" logo on the headstock. // 7

Sound: I play mostly Clapton-style blues and '60s rock (Beatles, Cream, etc). Fiddling around with the tone knobs can get you a wide variety of sounds and the middle switch on the 3-way toggle becomes your friend here. I only have a 20W amp to practice on but it sounds great nonetheless. It gets hot with too much distortion but that shouldn't be a problem for all those clean blues players out there. It has a nice bright lead sound and can just as easily Switch to a low rhythm. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Right out of the box, I would immediately change the strings as my high e snapped on the 3rd or 4th strum, but that's to be expected with any factory strings. No guitar strap was included so I ran out and bought my own along with some new strings and seemed to play fine after some minor tweaking. Frets are showing some signs of wear (mainly between 9 and 12) but is still playing like a champ after almost 2 months. Tuning pegs work fine and the pickups work great. The bridge pickup however, is a bit loose and is a little distracting when moving around. It doesn't make any noise though. Make sure when you change the strings, that you peel the plastic off the pickups and the screw just above the nut. Overall, a little fiddling and this will sound fine. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Put some money into this and have a professional set it up, it could be a very good guitar. Hardware feels like a rock so far, other than the wiggling pickup. I wouldn't take this guitar gigging unless I have a decent backup but it makes a wonderful practice or just for showing off. The finish is looking great as previously stated, and hasn't begun to chip yet. // 9

Overall Impression: For blues/rock, I would definitely recommend this if shopping on a budget. Although, I've only been playing for about a year this thing works and sounds great. If stolen, I would definitely buy another considering the price and the value you get for it. I love the look of it and it could fool some people into believing it's a LP (if you remove the Stellar logo). I haven't had to use customer service, but if I needed anything I'm sure my local guitar store could provide for me. Bottom line, if you're looking for a good guitar at a budget price, buy this guitar! // 8

More Stellar reviews rating category latest review
+ Mercury 003 9.2 Electric Guitars 11/11/2014