JP100D Review

manufacturer: Sterling by Music Man date: 09/12/2015 category: Electric Guitars
Sterling by Music Man: JP100D
This guitar is a cheaper version of the signature John Petrucci guitars made by Music Man. This guitar is extremely versatile and could handle most genres of music effectively.
 Features: 8.5
reviews (2) pictures (3) 18 comments vote for this gear:
JP100D Reviewed by: MetalFriend, on january 04, 2012

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: This guitar was made in 2011 and was made in Japan. It is a cheaper version of the signature John Petrucci guitars made by Music Man. It has twenty-four Jumbo frets, a basswood body with a quilted veneer maple top and a maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. The fingerboard has shield inlays and the inlay on the first fret has the JP initials. It comes with a Sterling Modern Non-Locking Tremolo and the vibrato bar's tension can be adjusted to your liking. It comes with two humbuckers in it. The pickups in it are John Petrucci's signature pickups; the DiMarzio Crunch Lab and Liquifire. It comes with one volume and one tone control and a three-way switch. The tuners are locking and seem to hold tune really well even after messing with the tremolo bar a lot. My guitar came in the mail with a really nice soft shell case. It also had two Allen wrenches and a little steel rod for adjusting the truss rod in the guitar. The guitar also has a matching headstock with John Petrucci's signature on it. // 9

Sound: I play mostly metal and hard rock but I branch out into almost every style. This guitar suits what I like to do almost perfectly. This guitar is extremely versatile and could handle most genres of music effectively. The only exception would be some music that requires single-coil pickups as this guitar does not include coil-tapping unfortunately... I ran it through a Peavey Vyper and Line 6 Spider IV. It achieved a really nice clean tone on both amps especially with a little added chorus. I did some fingerpicking and then a little bit of funk and it sounded great. Good articulation. The distorted sounds were just as good if not better. You can hear the individual notes ringing out when you play chords. The 6505 setting on the Vyper doesn't sound to great with this guitar but I didn't try and tweak it either. The Rectifier setting sound really good though for the distortion. On the Line 6 I've created my own presets because the ones on the amp all suck and the guitar sounded amazing through it too. It can nail the tone for "The Number Of The Beast" or "Technical Difficulties" perfectly. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar's set-up was also really good. It was out of tune when I got it but, that was about it. The strings are set low but, there is absolutely no fret buzz that I've identified. Sweeping is very easy on this guitar. Think of an Ibanez Wizard neck. The neck was carved asymmetrically to fit the curve of your hand better which is really nice. There were no finish flaws or anything when I got it. The pickup selector makes no noise either. Overall the action was just great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've only had this guitar for a couple days but everything seems to be good quality and in great shape so yes it would withstand live playing. Everything seems like it would last and I could probably gig without a backup. But, I won't. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is a great match for the style of music I play. The only thing I wish it had was coil tapping and I might get that done sometime in the future. If somebody stole it, I'd destroy them like Pepsi destroys Coke... This is one of the best guitars I've ever played on. Worth probably twice as much. Now all I need is the actual Music Man! // 9

JP100D Reviewed by: thedarkest5432, on september 12, 2015

Features: This guitar was made in Indonesia. It's based loosely off of the MusicMan JP6. It's a 24 fret guitar with medium jumbo nickel frets rathr than stainless steel like it's older borther. The Sterling JP100D is available in basswood or mahogany with a Koa top. I purchased the mahogany/Koa version. The neck consists of a rosewood freboard with JP Shield inlays and a maple neck. The neck has a satin finish on it rather than a gloss finish. As far as controls, it has a 3-way selector and a volume and tone knob. These are hooked up to Liquifire and Crunchlab pickups. To top it off, locking tuners are included.

(Last minute edit: I wish it had piezo saddles and coil tapping like it's older brother.) // 8

Sound: Now for the important question: how does it sound? If I had to pick a word to describe this guitar, that word would be "versatile." I tested this guitar through 3 different amplifiers and against 2 different guitars prior to purchasing it. The guitars were an Agile 828 with EMGs (which wasn't too bad, but I don't wanna open myself to 8 strings yet) and the ESP LTD BS7 (which was pretty bad and also had JP pickups). The amplifiers I used for tone testing purposes were the Vypyr (because cheap), the 6505 (because muh tubes), and the Vox AC10 (which I'm going to go back and buy in the spring). On each amp, I dialed in a high mids distortion tone with each guitar. The MusicMan responded well on each amp, with the Agile in close second. I was able to keep a tight growling distortion on the Crunchlab pickup, while singing on the Liquifire. Harmonic overtones were very present and loud without being overly obtrusive. The cleans are well balanced. Honestly, tonally this guitar reminds me of the PRS S2 Vela. Very sweet sounding with little extra noise. This is honestly one of my favorite guitars, compared against a Jackson DK2M w/ JB and '59 pickups, an Ibanez S5EX1, and a stock Agile 2500. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The set-up was very low, right off the bat. The strings are maybe just a tad less tense than I like, but the lowness of the action was a big plus. All of the mechanics are solid. There's no scratchy pots or random clicking. The tone knob is very expressive, which allows more range of tones. There was a single fret that wasn't filed too well, so I got the tech at guitar center to file it for me. She plays like butter. Something to note: bigger hands don't work well with this guitar right away. My hands are pretty big, and I'd gotten used to playing on my Jackson which has a more widely spaced fretboard. It's a bit like switching from a 7 string back to a six string after a year of exclusively playing seven strings. Just something to remember when considering this guitar for your collection. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The hardware seems pretty solid. The bridge is a stainless steel alloy as are the tuners. I could imagine gigging with this guitar, though I haven't gigged in about 2 years. I would swap the strap buttons for cliplocks if you plan on gigging. That's all I can say about that. They're making me say more. I don't gig often. I'm a bedroom guitarist. So my opinion on durability is not going to be as informed as someone who gigs heavily. For what I'm using it for, it seems like it'll be just fine. Maybe I'll stress test it? Hang it off of the side of my balcony by its strap? Drop it on concrete without a case? // 7

Overall Impression: I jump between many different styles of rock, but one thing is consistent: I love singable tracks with great guitar playing. This guitar has a great sound that I can use for any of the styles I like if I'm willing to tweak it a bit. I've been playing for 9 years and I've accumulated a few good instruments. I'm running my guitars through a Line 6 Flextone 2 XL (great amp, pretty versatile with the floorboard). I mentioned my main three, but I also have a cheap Ibanez RG120 that I kept from when I started playing and a ESP LTD H-207. The Sterling stands above all but the Jackson (at least, until my Carvin arrives). I wish I'd known sooner about how well this thing plays. I'd have had it a year ago. I'd replace it if it were taken from me, just like I would for the Jackson. I just wish it had a slightly fatter neck like the Jackson. Buy it. You'll like it. // 9

More Sterling By Music Man reviews rating category latest review