JP100D Review

manufacturer: Sterling by Music Man date: 01/04/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Sterling by Music Man: JP100D
This guitar is a cheaper version of the signature John Petrucci guitars made by Music Man. This guitar is extremely versatile and could handle most genres of music effectively.
 8.2
 8.8
 7.6
review (1) pictures (3) 16 comments vote for this gear:
JP100D Reviewed by: MetalFriend, on january 04, 2012

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: This guitar was made in 2011 and was made in Japan. It is a cheaper version of the signature John Petrucci guitars made by Music Man. It has twenty-four Jumbo frets, a basswood body with a quilted veneer maple top and a maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. The fingerboard has shield inlays and the inlay on the first fret has the JP initials. It comes with a Sterling Modern Non-Locking Tremolo and the vibrato bar's tension can be adjusted to your liking. It comes with two humbuckers in it. The pickups in it are John Petrucci's signature pickups; the DiMarzio Crunch Lab and Liquifire. It comes with one volume and one tone control and a three-way switch. The tuners are locking and seem to hold tune really well even after messing with the tremolo bar a lot. My guitar came in the mail with a really nice soft shell case. It also had two Allen wrenches and a little steel rod for adjusting the truss rod in the guitar. The guitar also has a matching headstock with John Petrucci's signature on it. // 9

Sound: I play mostly metal and hard rock but I branch out into almost every style. This guitar suits what I like to do almost perfectly. This guitar is extremely versatile and could handle most genres of music effectively. The only exception would be some music that requires single-coil pickups as this guitar does not include coil-tapping unfortunately... I ran it through a Peavey Vyper and Line 6 Spider IV. It achieved a really nice clean tone on both amps especially with a little added chorus. I did some fingerpicking and then a little bit of funk and it sounded great. Good articulation. The distorted sounds were just as good if not better. You can hear the individual notes ringing out when you play chords. The 6505 setting on the Vyper doesn't sound to great with this guitar but I didn't try and tweak it either. The Rectifier setting sound really good though for the distortion. On the Line 6 I've created my own presets because the ones on the amp all suck and the guitar sounded amazing through it too. It can nail the tone for "The Number Of The Beast" or "Technical Difficulties" perfectly. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar's set-up was also really good. It was out of tune when I got it but, that was about it. The strings are set low but, there is absolutely no fret buzz that I've identified. Sweeping is very easy on this guitar. Think of an Ibanez Wizard neck. The neck was carved asymmetrically to fit the curve of your hand better which is really nice. There were no finish flaws or anything when I got it. The pickup selector makes no noise either. Overall the action was just great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've only had this guitar for a couple days but everything seems to be good quality and in great shape so yes it would withstand live playing. Everything seems like it would last and I could probably gig without a backup. But, I won't. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is a great match for the style of music I play. The only thing I wish it had was coil tapping and I might get that done sometime in the future. If somebody stole it, I'd destroy them like Pepsi destroys Coke... This is one of the best guitars I've ever played on. Worth probably twice as much. Now all I need is the actual Music Man! // 9

More Sterling By Music Man reviews rating category latest review