JP50 Review

manufacturer: Sterling by Music Man date: 05/30/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Sterling by Music Man: JP50
Sterling by Music Man is the new range of guitars to join the Music Man family. John Petrucci Signature Model.
 8.1
 7.8
 8.4
review (1) pictures (2) 14 comments vote for this gear:
JP50 Reviewed by: Snowman388, on may 30, 2011

Purchased from: eBay

Features: - Basswood body with Custom forearm contour - Maple neck with rosewood fingerboard Custom Sterling Petrucci Neck carve - Locking Tuners - 24 medium-Jumbo frets - Sterling Modern Tremolo Bridge Recessed - 25.5" acale - 5-bolt Music Man-designed neck joint - 2x Sterling Modern Humbuckers (body mounted) - 3-way selector Switch - 1.65" (42mm) nut width - Spoke wheel truss rod adjustment - Glossy Pearl Red Burst Finish // 8

Sound: I play blues, rock, metal and a bit of jazz. The neck pickup sounds great when playing Hendrix or SRV, while the Bridge pickup brings the gain. I'm using a Laney LX-12 through a DigiTech RP90 MultiFX, which does its job. No noise, not much feedback. The clean tone is in between warm and bright, while the distorted tone is crunchy and full. I really like the pinch harmonics I play, could just be the strings though. The stock pickups could easily be changed out for greater sound, but they do their job. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up mediocre. It was way out of tune, and the strings buzzed like crazy. Once I re-strung it everything seemed to be okay. The 12th fret on the G string goes dead, maybe due to damage, I need to get it fixed. Pickups and Bridge were set up fine. It feels great to play when properly set up. The action is low, and the neck is smooth and super fast. Great neck, and the body is comfortable. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is pretty durable, no flaws in the strength. Everything is solid, not much to say about it. Finish is matte, so it's not easily scratched, but grease is visible on the black finish. A quick wipe down does the trick. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar was perfect for me. It's John Petrucci's guitar's son. I love JP and I love his tone/playing. I would have asked how to work this damn thing, it was a little tricky for a newbie like me, but I picked it up. // 9

More Sterling By Music Man reviews rating category latest review