Mustang Review

8.4
 7.7
review (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
Mustang Reviewed by: darthbuttchin, on july 14, 2007

Features: The Sunn Mustang (by Fender) was produced in India and China. Mine has the FMIC copyrighted headstock, so it was produced in the '80s in India. There is 22 frets on the neck, which is made of maple, with a rosewood fretboard. The neck is just your regular neck nice and easy to play on. The body is made of with a beautiful black satin finish. The body style is a Strat, so I'm not sure why it is called a Mustang, probably to do with copyright or something. The original bridge was a Vintage Strat tremolo bridge, but I switched it for a black Wilkinson one. The electronics are passive. You have your regular volume control, two tone knobs and a 5 way selector. It really is just like your bog Standard Strat, with three single coil pickups, all of which are stock Fender pickups. The original tuners were normal tuners, but I switched them for regular black tuners (from Wilkinson) as the originals were old and didn't keep tune very well. The guitar had been left in the original owners loft since the eighties, due to the original owner purchasing the guitar, playing it and then losing interest. As a result of this, the electronics werent very healthy and it was in terrible condition but after a few days of maintenance, the guitar was back into perfect form again. This was mainly because it was second hand though, I'm sure if it was Brand New all would be perfect. // 8

Sound: I play a range of everything these days, from Blues to Funk and lots more, so I need a guitar well suited to playin pretty much anything. This guitar does it perfectly. I use a Peavey Rage 158 with this most often along with a Crybaby Wah, a DigiTech Bad Monkey and a Denio Chorus pedal. With a medium crunch overdrive sound, this guitar really does best. It sings and screams and takes all the abuse I give it and turns it into an amazing sound. The guitar works amazingly with a Wah pedal and I can get some amazing funky sounds from it, akin to some great RHCP hits, such as Give It Away and can't Stop. Unplugged, the guitar sustains beautifully, not quite like Nigel Tufnels Les Paul, but close to it. It has a beautiful sound to it unpluggedwhich makes it a pleasure to play at all times. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action when I came into possession of the guitar was terrible, but it had sat in a loft for a long time. I'm sure if it was fresh from the factory, it would be perfectly set up. The guitar when I received it had some minor scratches and dings, but that's to be expected from a second hand guitar really. It would appear that all parts where fitted correctly and all routings were routed correctly. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely withstand Live playing but I haven't actually testedit in this area yet. however, I have travelled with it and provided it's placed correctly and looked after, it withstands travel well. The hardware I have on the guitar is Wilkinson Hardware and it all seems to be perfectly solid and looks like it will last for a long time. The strap buttons are very solid and well screwed into the guitar. However, as with all my guitars, I use Dunlop Strap Loks to ensure the strap doesn't come off. I have every confidence that I could use this guitar in a Gig situation with no backup. However, being as precautious as I am, I would take another just in case I snapped a string. The finish is very thick and I believe it will last for a very long time, although it does chip off easily when bumped. // 9

Overall Impression: I play many different musical styles as I have mentioned already. This guitar is suited perfectly to everything I choose to play. I've been playing for nearly three years now, but only had this guitar for a year. I use a variety of other gear with the guitar, all of which it responds to well. If it was stolen, I'd probably have a hard time finding another one, so I'd be forced to purchase a different guitar. However, I would hunt down the person that stole the guitar and bludgeon them to death with it. It would still be playable afterwards aswell. I love the way it's so effortless to make a good sound come from it. There isnt really anything I hate about it, except maybe the neck pickup can sound quite flat sometimes. // 9

More Sunn reviews rating category latest review
+ Sorado 6.1 Guitar Amplifiers 02/07/2013