Classic II Review

6.9
review (1) pictures (4) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Classic II Reviewed by: qoodrink347, on september 12, 2012

Purchased from: Singapore

Features: - Body: Mahogany + 20mm Maple + Laminate - Neck: Mahogany - Fingerboard: Rosewood - Radius: 305 mm (12 inches) - Number of Frets: 22 - Fret Size: Medium Jumbo (2.7 mm) - Scale Length: 629 mm (24.75 inches) - Nut Width: 42 mm - Hardware Color: Chrome - Machine Heads: Grover - Bridge: Tune-O-Matic, Stoptail - Pickups: SWING Dual Classic Std. set - Controls: 2 Volume, 2 Tone - Pickup Selector: 3-way selector - Position 1: Bridge - Position 2: Bridge+Middle - Position 3: Neck - Colors: 2-tone Sunburst, Amber, Black // 9

Sound: I play quite a variety of genres ranging from rock and metal to some jazz and blues, so I can safely say I utilized both pickups on this baby to make a sound review. I am using a Kustom KGA 65 amp for the record. The pickups are in-house SWING DualClassic (Humbucker) covered pickups and I absolutely LOVE the neck/rhythm pickup. Played with max volume and tone it sounds super rich and smooth for those jazzy riffs, and played with the tone knob on a lower setting combined with distortion, you can create a fuzzy tone for some blues licks. The bridge/treble pickup gets the job done when I need some grit for punk rock riffs but that's really about it. Nothing fantastic about the treble pickup. My favorite setting would be using both pickups, as I can achieve all kinds of tones with this guitar by experimenting with settings on my amp and the 4 knobs. From punk rock to old school rock to metal to jazz, this guitar's got you covered. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The Classic II comes in Black, Amber, Cherry sunburst and Vintage sunburst. I got mine in full gloss black, and I fell in love with the finish when I saw it at the store. There were no scratches or misaligned bracing or loose controls or whatever the UG review guide is prompting me to review - It was perfect to me off the shelf. The fretboard was really standard with trapezoid inlays, and the action was really low when I tried it. In fact it was too low and the top string would buzz even when played opened so I had to alter the action. Besides that there were no workmanship flaws and with a tune-o-matic bridge and Grover tuning pegs I was really happy with my purchase. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is the section which reveals the flaws of this seemingly perfect guitar. I have not played it live but I have jammed with it quite a lot, and I get excited when jamming (who doesn't right?), and during one of my jam sessions I got a little clumsy and knocked my guitar at the head (LIGHTLY). I expected a scratch but to my horror, a small bit of it chipped off to reveal the raw brown wood underneath. Mutilating the beautiful full body of black gloss. It pained me so much I take so much care of it when playing now its ridiculous. The Classic II also comes with a pickguard, and I thought it would look better without it, so I went ahead to remove it. Who'd knew glaring scratches were underneath the pickguard, which was weird since every other part of the body was in pristine condition. After playing for a couple of months the wear and tear on the fretboard is becoming very evident, with patches appearing on areas I play more. Worst of all my treble pickups stopped working after about 6 months and I had to send it back to the shop for repairs. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, I love this guitar very much even with the pickup failure. If it were stolen/lost I would but it again and get another color. What other guitar can you get for $530 with grover tuners, nubone nut technology and pickups to really recreate the sounds of a Traditional Les Paul and much more? If you can deal with the weight of a typical les paul, which seems to be the main gripe of most, there is really nothing to hate about this guitar. // 8

Comments