Wild-I Vibracell Review

manufacturer: Switch date: 01/03/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Switch: Wild-I Vibracell
The Wild-I features the exclusive "Vibracell" neck-thru-body design, grover tuners, 1 Switch designed humbucking pickup with coil tap mini switch, 1 volume control, 1 tone control, rosewood fingerboard, fixed bridge and black hardware. Scale is 24 3/4" with a neck width at neck is 1 11/16", with 22 frets.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 8.5
 9.5
 7.5
reviews (3) user comments vote for this gear:
Wild-I Vibracell Reviewed by: orngegitrsrcool, on july 30, 2005

Features: Not sure what year it is, but I heard it was mad in China. It has 22 frets and a rosewood (I think) neck. I'm not sure what the body is made of, but its all one piece. All the finishes on the Wild 1 are metalic. I have orange. I have tone and volume knobs and a 3-way toggle, one humbucker on the bridge, non-locking grover tuning. // 10

Sound: I play alot of punk rock, power chord stuff and it's awesome for that kind of stuff. Not so good on the solos, but it's alright. I use a Ibanez amp with it. Gives me great tone. It has a very full sound to it. I love it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I had a little trouble with the pickup tho. The threads for one of the screws got stripped, but it has a lifetime guarantee. I also had a little problem with the nut, but it was easy to adjust. Other than that it was set up really well. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played it live yet, but it might be a good idea to put strap locks on it. Other than that, it's very durable. I've dropped it a few times (by acident of course) and it's fine. One of the times I dropped it, some of the paint chipped a little, but my dealer replaced it with a brand new one. Like I said, lifetime guarentee. But other than that it will deffinatly hold up to a lot of wear and tear. It's very dependable. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of punk rock and some metal and it works really well for that. I've been playing it for a little over a year. If it was lost or stolen I would deffinatly buy another one. It is very light and easy to handle. Some guitars feel a little heavy or bulky, but this one doesn't. I compared it to a Squir and a Stagg. I choose this one because of where the pick up is. I can't stand the pickups on the Strats. And it was alot cheaper. And how can you say no to that awesome tone? // 10

Wild-I Vibracell Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 29, 2005

Purchased from: Media Play

Features: The Wild I is a resin guitar. The neck and body are molded as one piece; there is no "bolt on" or even "glued in" construction. This guitar kind of looks like a Parker Fly guitar with its top hook. It's a 24. 75 scale length, so it gets the Les Paul sound. The string tru body sustains forever. // 10

Sound: The best thing about Vibracell and the string thru body design is it sustains forever. This guitar gets a great sound from it's one pickup. It's definitely a Les Paul 24. 75 scale sound. The single coil tap works great. The only drawback is you will have to get the pickup potted in wax because out of the box you do get microphonic feedback. Potting is only $10 so that's no big deal. I use a Vox Tonelab SE straight into the sound board. The Switch sounds awesome at any volume with this setup. I've had guys comment on how great my tone is. I truly believe the days of mic-ing up a 4X12 cabinet and then trying to bring the volume back down with a Power Brake are long gone. A lot of guys I see playing in bars need to catch up with technology. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action out of the box was fine. Subsequently adjusting the action and the intonation when I switched string gauges was easy. I've had this guitar for about 5 months now and the one great thing I've noticed about it is it never warps. I haven't had to adjust the neck as summer turned into winter and the humidity changed. Of course, since there isn't an ounce of wood used in the Wild I this is to be expected. I have a cool sunburst gradient paint job that goes from black to red to yellow. It looks hot. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've played the snot out of this guitar for months now and it's still perfect. The one piece molded construction is rock solid. I honestly don't think you could break the neck off this guitar. The bridge is a solid thru the body type that works fine. The Grover tuners stay in tune, everything works like it should. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everthing from Van Halen to Classical and this guitar can handle everything. I really believe that the type of music you play and the amount of distortion you get has less to do with your guitar and a everything to do with the type of amp and effects you play and the pickups you slap in the guitar. Abalone binding doesn't make you play better. I would buy another Wild I in a heartbeat, especially for only $200. I've owned Les Pauls and PRS's and everything else and I honestly can't say those guitars are any better than my Switch. The thing is, I'm an advanced player with a healthy ego and I don't care about "prestige" guitars anymore. I can pick up anything and make it sound good. I know a lot of the young kids who are just starting out and can't play will turn up their noses at the Switch because it only costs $200. That's a big mistake. The hot chick in the front row doesn't know the difference between a Samick and a Les Paul Elegant. Eddie Van Halen got rich and famous on a guitar he made for $80 and I wouldn't hesitate to take the Wild I on a major tour. // 10

Wild-I Vibracell Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 03, 2006

Features: If you are looking at this review, and are considering a Switch, you can trust this one. I had been looking at many guitars over the past few months, and came accross this one, a Wild-I with a single HB, and a great looking 3 color flame top, black, red, yellow in that order. I cannot seem to find this particular model anymore on the web? However, this is a nice guitar, like the first post, I too was hesitant, but after I took it home, adjusted the tension and bridge, Man O Man, does this axe like to talk. I am a semi Pro level player who has many years playing, as well as my own Pro level recording studio. I also have other nice guitars as well, Shecter C1+ Prototype! I have not put the Switch Down yet! that's how good this is. I was going to purchase a New PRS CE Custom, also a very nice "cheap" guitar, but after I did some research, and saw this one at a Media Play "Going Out Of Business" sale, I jumped sight unseen. I was not expecting much, but Man this thing just keeps On Impressing me everytime I pick it up, the balance and weight is spot on. I initially was going to throw in my Dimarzio Fred, but I'm not so sure now. It's made in China, like 90% of all new lower cost axes, so what? Who cares. The other guitar I was considering cost almost a grand! and I'm not looking back. One volume, one tone, one coil tap, done. The ebonite fingerboard is simply amazing for this guitar and the cost. While not quite as dark sounding as real ebony, I'll take it! Grover tuners, Great fake dot pearl inlays. I just cannot stress enough, if you are on a strict budget, find a Media Play and get today. I think these normally sell for $349 or so. Even at that price, it simply rules. // 10

Sound: Smooth single coil, however, it is a bit niosy.. roll off the tone a bit to get a nice clean bite. The neck kinda sound like a Rock maple with the smoothness and sustain of Real ebony, wow. I love this neck. Fret work is extremely impressive for such a cheap guitar. 24.75 scale, 22 frets. Perfect. The yells at you! How fast do you want to go today, it will handle all you can dish out. Open chording sound crsip and bright. I love that when I'm not plugged in. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: For $119, I've never seen anything as good. Please note, while you are looking at these, make sure that the guitar you purchase has no skewed frets as I noticed the display model has a twisted 1st fret, could have been from monkeys playing with it? Other than, that. It extremely nice to hold and the everything works. It also comes with a lifetime manufactures warranty against defects and failure. Oh, I did notice that mine showed a slight paint bubble on the back, probably due to primer not sprayed right. Will see how it holds up. No fret ouchies, or binding. Plastic nut, will keep my eye on it. The other thing I noticed is the the neck was slighly tilted from low to high, it's wierd, but once I adjusted the bridge, you cannot tell. If you sight the guitar down the lenght of the neck from the bridge, you'll see what I mean. This may be a normall molding process? Either way, I love the action, smooth does not describe how good the ebonite can be, once adjusted properly. // 9

Reliability & Durability: So far so good. Can't say anything yet. It works flawlessly. The other point of interest, is the pots, they do seem a bit weak, however, when in HB mode they are as quiet as my Prototype Schecter C1+. They are easy to replace if needed. Heat, cold, no adjustments = great freaking mother of God! Way cool! // 8

Overall Impression: Absolutely incredible guitar bargain on the web, or anywhere at the moment. Get one now for under $200 You cannot go wrong. Like the guy said, the girls in the front row could care less about what guitar you play, as long as she likes what you play. I will be getting as many as I can before the people figure out they can sell these for way more. Matter of fact I'm off the the store later to see if any are left, cuase I'm getting thise too before they are gone. I'll put my own knobs on it. Thanks you! I'd stay away from the Wild IV with the rosewood necks, they do not seem quite as good as the ebonite signature models. Once you play this neck setup correctly, you'll know what I mean. I'd easily pay $250 + for this guitar if I had too. This one did not have a case, just a Switch Box with graphics on it. Big Deal, just be careful until you get the right case or gig bag. // 10

More Switch reviews rating category latest review
+ Oscar-IV Signature 8.1 Electric Guitars 04/22/2005