Custom Handmade Vintage Series Stratocaster Review

8.7
 9.2
 8.1
reviews (3) pictures (2) 7 comments vote for this gear:
Custom Handmade Vintage Series Stratocaster Reviewed by: retka, on july 17, 2009

Purchased from: Guitar Center (used)

Features: First off, I am reviewing the Custom Handmade Vintage Series Stratocaster. I did purchase mine used, but for a mere $200, I was in for a great surprise. The neck is laminated with a very eye pleasing clear coat. The fretboard I believe is rosewood although I could be wrong. The body of the guitar is believed to be either basswood or alder. The bridge is a Licensed Floyd Rose Tremelo. The nut is locking and also has a bar above it. There is a 5 way pickup selector to switch between the bridge humbucker, and the two other single coil pickups. I have only had the guitar a few days and I already have enjoyed having a Floyd Rose which was a nice little addition to my guitar arsenal. // 10

Sound: My guitar has been modded with a Demarzio Super Distortion humbucker in the bridge position. However the two other stock single coils that are still installed are very "Strat" sounding and have that nice twang that many look for. If you left this guitar all stock then I suppose it would be great for blues, jazz, ska, some light rock, and clean music. My modded pickup upgrades the guitar to some metal, heavy rock, and such. Unplugged the guitar has great sustain although do to the low output of the single coils, you may not be able to use all the sustain. The guitar body has a great clean tone that allows both the highs and lows to come through. Again the stock pickups could be better, but if modded this guitar could match against any mid ranged Fender Stratocaster. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Although I can't talk about factory setups, I can tell you that after a free setup from Guitar Center, the guitar was perfect. I had my favorite D'Darrio Nickel Wound Blues/Jazz Rock strings (0.011) installed to give me a slightly heavier gauge and this guitar responded quite well to the heavy gauge strings. All the electronic parts do not make any noise. The modded humbucker does cause a screw up when the pickup selector is switched to 2nd position. Due to the humbucker and the middle pickup being both active, all the bass and mid of the signal dissapears. Again this is caused by the Demarzio humbucker and is fixable. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Although I have only had this guitar for a few days, I have played it extensively. I plan for this guitar to be my main guitar for gigging with my band around my town I would use it for a short gig without a backup if I did not need to have different tunings for songs. However I will use my Mockingbird for lower tuned songs when we play metal. The strap buttons appear to be solid and have not come loose yet. The hardware will last but you may want to eventually upgrade to something with a bit better tone or output. The electronics will last, but again, you may want to upgrade. // 9

Overall Impression: I play everything from metal to blues to clean. This guitar (although modded keep in mind) will suit all my needs so far. The tremelo is great to have, the locking nut will keep the guitar in tune longer also. So far, if this guitar was lost I would go track down the guitar or purchase another one. I recommend this guitar as a beginning guitar. The stock hardware is decent for players up to intermediate. If you become in need of a better sound/electronics, the body and neck of the guitar are well suited for upgrading. I would compare this guitar to any other entry level Strat like Squire or Stagg. This guitar is a great buy and for only a few hundred dollars, you can have a perfect setup that can rival any expensive Fender Strat. // 10

Custom Handmade Vintage Series Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 09, 2011

Price paid: A$ 200

Purchased from: local dealer

Features: The year and the date of the make of this guitar is unknowen but I can tell you that its manufactured in Spain. It has 22 1/2 frets. The fretboard it rosewood and the neck is maple with a clear goldy brown finish giving it that old and Vintage look. I'm pretty sure that the body is maple aswell. This is a limited Edition guitar so it is hard to find the specs and what the pickups are but I can tell you what they're like. The machine heads and Bridge are re issues of the old ones that Fender used in the 60's and 70's but still keaps in tune.the pickups are passive single coils but have OUTSTANDING tone. In my opinion I would buy this Strat intsted of a 1500 dollar Fender strat. The neck pickup brings smooth phat lead tone with the feel of a 70's humbucker. The middle pick-up is really nice for clean tone and has a real nice respone with something like a tweed combo or some kind of Fender amp. It comes with a five way selector two tone knobs and one volume. The make and model of the pickups are unknowen but all three are single coils with the typical Fender Strat set up. The machine heads are again Vintage machine heads like what they used on the strats in the 70s. In the Bridge it does come with a holl for your tremolo bar/whammy bar. For the price that this guitar is priced at your getting big value for money and in my opinion its better then your normal official Fender Strat. // 9

Sound: This guitar can really do anything from blues to metal it will do nicely. But it is really a blues guitar and when I play blues like Santana and Eric Clapton I really LOVE the tone that this thing gives out. With a od pedal and a amp that sounds really nice on its overdrive channel. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Not quite sure. But SX is known for NON flimsy guitars that are made more cheaper. BUT THIS DOES NOT MEAN IT IS A BAD GUITAR and for the reveiw I need to type in more characters so random stuff. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have had it and been playing it for years and when I got it, it was a thrid hand guiar BUT it looks brand new! But I reall does depend on how much you use it and how you take care of it. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said I play blues to metal and anything in between and this thing can nail it. I have a Vox Vt 40+ (tube edition), Bad Monkey Tube OD, DigiTech RP 90, Vox Classic Wah (you can tell I'm addicted to Vintage gear). I have benn playing it for 2 years and hasn't changed a bit and I still love it and sometimes even use it over my Ibanez RG 170 DX. I can't hate anything bout this guitar it really is a amazing guitar to play the feel of it and the tone. But my favourite feature must be the neck pick up. Too compare it to a actuall Fender Strat it craps all over it. I would like the Bridge to be a bit more lose so if your looking for a Strat you can whammy the crap out of it this one isnt really recomended but I would recomend this guitar too any one of any style so if you can find it buy (really cheap) and check it out deffently a great guitar. // 10

Custom Handmade Vintage Series Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 17, 2012

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: - 2012 guitar, - 21 Jumbo frets, - Solid Top, - Vintage White satin finish, but I painted mine, - Strat body, Tremelo, - Standard SSS configuration, but I plan to change to Brian Mays Configuration, - Non Locking tuners - Case, Strap, Cord, Small Amp. // 9

Sound: Had to change the strings and get some Earnie Balls on, but once I did, even out of the little practice amp this guitar sounds AMAZING, I couldn't be happier, Awesome for rock, reggae, blues, shredding, really whatever you want. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Set up from factory was decent, but it could really use an intonation adjustment. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Seems really strong, I'll be finding out how well it does live next month but I'm sure it should hold up well. Hardware seems good, but I plan to replace most of it at some point. Awesome finish, even better looking with my paint job. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this guitar, it's the best Craigslist guitar I've had so far. I had an SG before, and I'm working on a Les Paul, but I needed something in between projects, and I'll be putting some money into this one too. Feels a lot better than Squiers you can get for the same price, I'm pretty sure it could hold up to a MIM Strat. // 10

More SX reviews rating category latest review
+ Furrian Telecaster Clone 8.6 Electric Guitars 05/29/2014