Custom Handmade Vintage Series Thinline Telecaster Review

manufacturer: SX date: 12/09/2011 category: Electric Guitars
SX: Custom Handmade Vintage Series Thinline Telecaster
21 frets (jumbo) on a maple neck which is fat! The neck was rough and needed some TLC ut of the box.
 Features: 7.5
 8.2
 7.7
 8.6
reviews (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Custom Handmade Vintage Series Thinline Telecaster Reviewed by: Duncas, on december 24, 2009

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: I bought this guitar summer 2009, made in China, I have no idea when it was made probably after 2006. 21 frets (jumbo) on a maple neck which is fat, I have bass necks thinner! The neck was rough and needed some TLC ut of the box. Semi-hollow body with 'F' holes and pearloid scratchplate (3 tier) it has 1 volume control, 1 tone and a pickup selecter. 2 single coil pickups bridge covered in chrome (like a tele). The body is in the style of the Fender Thinline Telecaster 1969. The scratchplate does not fit well around the bridge at all, can be fixed with a small incision though. Real Ash body finished in flamed maple. It only comes in 2 colours I think, sunburst and natural I have the natural. Tele style bridge with through body strings non locking cheap tuners, could do with replacements. No included accesories (ebay buy). Overall it looks nice but on closer inspection there are rough edges etc, 2hrs of TLC sorts most problems though. Other reviews on the internet are really good so I think my model was a last thing friday job or a one of bad egg. // 7

Sound: THIS TELE TWANGS! This cheap 100 (about $160) has more twang than a real Telecaster! It is at home anywhere from country to hendrix! Put to much distortion through and it squeaks though. I'm running it through an Electro Harmonix fuzz pedal and a DigiTech hothead distortion into a 1969 Marshall master lead combo (100watt) although it squeaks turn the tone down slightly and you get a beautiful fuzzy distortion suitable for Bon Jovi, hendrix tone. You can get a relativly good Muse tone out of it aswell. The stock pickups I was going to change but they sound nice for cheap pickups. The rythum pickup is routed for a humbucker too so you can fit one if you wish. It dosent suit my musical tastes (A7X, Bullet, GNR, etc) but it is nice for playing mainstream songs occasionly. My LP is hot rodded for metal so dosent suit mainstream music. The only downside to the sound of this guitar is it is very noisy with heavy distortion. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was quite good for the bad neck, although the neck was bad the truss rod was set almost perfectly for my tastes. The tuners were alighed well the top nut is weak and small made of cheap plastic, the pickups were sit properly and the bridge dosent move about. The pickup switcher was loose and kept falling into the body which is hollow, that was annoying. Very bad out of the box but since it was an ebay buy I'm not complaining much. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Despite its bad set-up it is a very durable instrument, IF you are careful. The slightest knock takes it out of tune and the top is thin wood. Unfortunatly the awful neck is held on extremally well:P but apart from the tuning issue it is very durable and can be relied on, I have gigged with this and it held up well, makes a better rythem guitar than a lead however. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for 2yrs and bass for 3. I have my 1969 Marshall 100watt, various pedals, a heavily modified Les Paul and several Basses. I could have asked lots of questions when I bought it but for under 100 it was a great bargain:D if it was stolen or lost I wouldn't buy it again, I'd save up for a real Fender '72 thinline (double humbuckers and vibrato) or a HSS fat Strat. It is a nice guitar and looks great. My favourite feature is either its looks or the resonance you get from the semi hollow body and rythum pickup.:) I compared this to the Squier Strat (cheapest) and LAG jet (very nice lightweight) but I bought this on impuse for its looks:) I wish this guitar has a block under the bridge for a bigsby:D and a new neck. // 8

Custom Handmade Vintage Series Thinline Telecaster Reviewed by: ferdi09, on december 09, 2011

Purchased from: craigslist

Features: Made in China Year built ? purchased used from Craig's List Semi Hollow thinline Telecaster copy Vintage styled Tabacco finish maple neck pick guard two sigle coil tele style pickups volume and tone pots 3 way selector chrome tuners and hardware modern tele style bridge, no tremelor bar through the body stop with chromed furrels six independantly adjustable saddles // 8

Sound: I play classic rock, country, Blues and reggae and a little Jazz. This guitar suits my style and music preference perfectly. I play through a Fender Mustang 1 and a Blackstar HT1 as well as a Vox Amplug and assortment of Amp simulator apps for Iphone and Amplitube 3 for PC. This guitar sounds rich and full of tone. It has the tele twang but its a little on the dark side. The cleans are bright and vibrant and the crunch is very useable for rock sounds. It can do modest metals sounds but don't expect it too excel, it's not designed for it. The pots are responsive with no pops or crackles. It is a pleasant sounding guitar that is close to the real thing. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I have had this guitar for about 7 months now and I am not sure how long the previous owner had it before I got it. It was in like new condition thats why I bought it. The fit, finish are very good, especially for a guitar thats list for so cheap. ($150 new from Rondo Music). The paint and finish are flawless and all the pieces fit very cleanly together. The components seem to be of very good quality and look to be made to last. Every component works as it should and its stays in tune for long stretches of play time. I have other Rondo Music guitars and the fit and finish are top notch. I didn't need to set it up as it was fine the I got it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't gig so I can't say if it could stand the abuse. I baby my gear so I would'nt be a good judge of durability, but it looks and feels like it will last a very long time. All of the hardware seems to be very solid and works very smoothly. I bought it used so I don't know about the warrenty or how Rondo Music is to deal with. The workmanship seems to be of good quality and I have yet to have any problems with it. I play it a hour a day 5 days a week as I keep it at my office at work. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar suits me and my play very well. Its sounds great to my ears and I really like the way it feels, and plays. For the money you can't go wrong, It sounds Tele enough and for about four hundred dollars less I couldn't be happier. I would buy this guitar again if it was lost or stolen. // 8

More SX reviews rating category latest review
+ Hawk SE 4.6 Electric Guitars 02/07/2014