EG4K Review

manufacturer: SX date: 11/19/2012 category: Electric Guitars
SX: EG4K
This guitar is made in 2008 in China. It has 24 frets and the fretboard is made of rosewood. Thin neck and jumbo frets. It is a solid top body.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 6.3
 4.5
reviews (2) pictures (4) 10 comments vote for this gear:
EG4K Reviewed by: kirua0212, on april 04, 2011

Purchased from: Local Guitar Shop

Features: This guitar is made in 2008 in China, It has 24 frets and the fretboard is made of rosewood, Thin neck and jumbo frets, It is a solid top body. Body is made of Alder, Maple neck, Rosewood fretboard. It has a double cutaway style body. It has a Vintage Bridge with trem. It has passive electronics, 5 way switch, 1 tone, 1 volume knobs. Pickup configuration is H-S-H, stock pickup used. Tuners are non locking, SX brand tuners. It comes with a 10 watt practice amp, a strap, 6 picks, 10" cable, Belcat tuner, for the price I paid, its pretty decent actually. // 9

Sound: It suits my music style perfectly, I play mainly metal, rock, and a bit of jazz. I plugged it in a Line-6 Spyder 3 amp, with the metal settings on, and this guitar blowed my mind away. It is silent even on high gain settings, pretty good for the price! It can take up harmonics pretty well, and theres a lot of variety. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup well at the factory, The actions are great, (suits my liking of low action), the intonation is dead on! The pickups are abit screwed inside, so I heighten for it to give more response. The top was properly bookmatched and good routed bridge! The tuners lack quality though, Ima change it soon. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely withstand live playing. I uised this guitar at all my gigs, and there is this oine gig where I dropped it to the ground, it still works with no damage! The hardware (except the tuners) will last, but my pickups and the screws around them are rusty, if you have any suggestions on how to remove and prevent it from rusting, do comment. Strap buttons are solid. Trust me, they are. I would us ethis guitar without a backup, (unlees I have to switch between tuning) The finish will definitely last, I dropped in on the floor and he finish didn't come off. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal, and this guitar is the right guitar for me, I have been playing for only 2 years, I have a SX EG4k(this Guitar) Fender Squier Strat, SX 10 watt practice amp, and a Line 6 Spyder III amp. If it was stolen or lost, I will definitely buy it again! So cheap yet so perfect! I love everything in this guitar! It just met my expectations I wish it had a Floyd Rose brige though... All in all, this is an awesome guitar for metal! I'm thinking of changing the pickups to a Seymour Duncan JBS pickup though. Great and awesome guitar! // 9

EG4K Reviewed by: dragonrage12, on november 19, 2012

Purchased from: A random store in Malaysia

Features: It was made in china. Has 24 jumbo frets. Fretboard is made of rosewood. Solid top alder finish. Bridge is Vintage tremolo. This Strat shaped guitar is equipped with 3 passive pickups with HSH configuration thus having 5 way pickup switch. Has one tone knob and one volume knob. Regular non locking tuners. Since this was a package it came with an SX amp, soft gig bag, strap, cables and some pick. // 7

Sound: Well I have no specification for genres. Variety to be exact. The amp that it came with sucks big time. Its noisy and muddy sounding. But when you play the guitar with a headphone it doesn't sound that bad. To be honest the pickups aren't that good. The bridge humbucker is really thin. And a lil bit noisy too. Neck humbucker sounds good but harmonics doesn't sound good enough. And the single coil on the middle doesn't have any gain and very low volume compared to other two pickups. But clean tone sounds really good when you put the switch on 2nd position. I played it with a Zoom G1J, an effect pedal for amateurs. This guitar has lots of variety but to be precise it would create an expectation less then average for all sorts of music. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The allignments were a lil high. So I had to fix the allignment. And frets at about 21 - 24 on all the strings except 1st and 2nd strings sounds buzzy. I can't fix that with any luck or anything. Everything else is just fine. Bridge and pickups were fitted properly and tuners were fine too. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is definitely durable and it will surely last a long time although the pickups might get fuzzier with time. It would surely withstand live playing but not if wanna play it live. It's pretty heavy. 7lbs to b precise. I dropped it once and it didn't have any dent on the alder. So no doubt about durability. // 8

Overall Impression: Over all this guitar is best over this price range. When you buy a guitar that costs $180 and comes with an amp you know its a piece of crap but honestly this guitar sounds way better then any other guitar you would buy with that price. I wouldn't buy again the same thing if it was stolen but I'm thinking of changing the pickups with DiMarzio PAF Pro for neck, P90 for single coil and CrunchLab for the bridge. Then for sure I'm gona kill the guy who would steal it from me. I wouldn't choose this guitar over other only for the price. No other intentions. But once I complete the mod I believe it sound good. // 6

More SX reviews rating category latest review
+ Hawk SE 4.6 Electric Guitars 02/07/2014