Hawk SE Review

2.4
reviews (2) pictures (4) 22 comments vote for this gear:
Hawk SE Reviewed by: Darkdevil725, on october 06, 2010

Purchased from: rondomusic.com

Features: Made in China 21 Frets 25.5" Scale Maple Neck and Fretboard Alder Body Body color is Candy Apple Red. Strat style body. Fulcrum 6 point tremolo. 3 Single Coil Pickups 1 Volume, 2 Tone, 5 Way pickups selector. Fender style 6 in line chrome tuners. Comes with a nicely padded gig bag and 2 allen wrenches for Truss Rod and Saddle height adjustments. I would have preferred 22 frets rather than 21 but this is no big deal. // 8

Sound: I play metal so the single coils are not really the best to use for what I do but none the less the single coils are actually better than I expected them to be. Even at just position 5 with high gain I do not get much noise and when Switch to position 4 it is without any hissing, buzzing, or humming. Volume and tone knobs as well as the pickups selector are quiet. This can do everything from some light jazz and blues to heavy rock and yes even metal. I ran this guitar through Amplitube and a Fender Frontman 25R. Sounded great through both. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where the guitar really shines, literally. The pictures shown on rondomusic site do not this guitar any justice. The finish is darker than shown on the site and has a metal flake in it that you cannot see in the pictures on the site. I intended to strip the coloring off of the neck due to it appearing to be completely orange but it actually has more of a brown tint to it. When it arrived I inspected every single inch of this guitar looking for flaws and I only found 1 flaw and that was a back bow in the neck. After giving the neck some relief I realized that the frets are done very well and that this guitar was all ready perfectly intonated and set up with a comfortable action with very little fret buzz. I want to give it a 10 but the tuners on it are not the best, they hold tuning rather well except the low E which slides out of tuning a little bit after a hour or so of playing. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live playing just fine though I would never do it without a backup no matter what guitar I was using. The hardware is cheap but it does its job just fine, the only things that I feel need be upgraded are the tuners and the plastic nut. The finish is flawless and is thick so I have no worries that the finish would wear away very much over a long period of time. Again I want to give it a 10 but the tuners and plastic nut stop me from doing that. // 6

Overall Impression: I play metal and this is not the best thing for the job but it can still play metal just fine if you know what your doing. I have been playing 2 years now and I actually sold my Douglas Flying V to buy this and I have absolutely no regrets for doing that. If it were stolen or lost I would absolutely get a new one. I have compared it with some squiers and I have to say its about on par with the CV series. The only things I wish it had has really is just a string through bridge but blocking the trem works almost as good. If you want a Strat and don't want to spend $300 - $400 then buy this, you will love it. // 8

Hawk SE Reviewed by: WilhelmTGFRyan, on february 07, 2014

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: MIC; Standard SSS strat stuff, chinaland hardware and whatnot. Here's the list of what most of these have:
- Made in China
- 21 Frets
- 25.5" Scale
- Maple Neck and Fretboard
- Alder Body
- Fulcrum 6 point tremolo.
- 3 Single Coil Pickups 1 Volume, 2 Tone, 5 Way pickups selector. "Fender style" 6 in line chrome tuners.

It sucks compared to anything in a higher price range, but for the price, it's fine. Mind you, this entire review is based on the price, compared to anything else, this thing sucks, but it's 100 bucks, what can you possibly expect from it? // 7

Sound: I play modernish progish rockish music. I borrowed this thing for a month to screw around. Lightly noisy, typical low quality. Bright like any SC, but lacks any depth. I didn't like it, and it really didn't suit anything. I was running it through my Peavey Ultra Plus and my Fender Mustang V heads through my Hartke cab. I got to run my buddy's A strat through my Mustang, the difference is massive. You won't be able to pull off any sound with this, unless your covering your favorite welfare band. This thing is 100 bucks, I wouldn't be angry, it's on par with Squiers at least, but the sound really does plain suck. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: OK, it was used, obviously, I only borrowed it. The finish looks nice enough, legitimate flaws if you get close, a paint bubble on the back most notable. I gave the guitar an hour of set-up loving, and got it playing nicely. The action can get nearly perfect if you want it to. Frets aren't half bad, and it has a nice neck.

To be honest, I'd TOTALLY buy one of these as a project guitar based on it's build quality. For 100 bucks, it's far better than you'd expect. The hardware and ESPECIALLY the tuners are downright awful, would not hold a tune for more than an hour. Pickup selector was noisy, and the jack was loose, and I could not get it to work better. It plays very well, and could be modified to be a legitimately solid guitar. FAR better than what you'd be getting in the price range // 8

Reliability & Durability: Everything on this thing is cheap, the finish looks nice, but it is going to relic itself in time. I would never take her out live without providing her with some serious mod love. With the right modifications and swaps, she would be a reliable gigging guitar. Out of the box, if I took this to a gig, I would expect the tuners to explode and kill the crowd, the bridge would more than likely spring out and morph into Optimus Prime and go on a rampage. Do not take a stock SX outside, you endanger yourself to harsh judgement, and your friends to bodily injury. // 3

Overall Impression: This thing, stock, will not fit any style of music. I've been playing for 3 years, I've owned an Epiphone G-310, Gibson Melody Maker Explorer, Epiphone 1958 Reissue Explorer, Gibson 05' Explorer and an Agile Baritone AL-2000. If I was a new player and lost this, I'd aim higher. I like its price, everything else is bad, but for a beginner, it's a good cheap choice.

If you are brand new to guitar, this is the best guitar for less than 100 bucks to start with. If you want a project, it's a great choice. Just keep in mind, compared to the Agiles (which are amazing guitars for the price) you're getting junk. If you can stretch a little more money, go look at the Agiles. Those things are 200-400 for the cheaper ones, and play like guitars that are nearly twice as much new. I would compare an AL-3000 to those Faded LPs, minus the pickups, they're every bit as good. // 7

More SX reviews rating category latest review
+ SJB-62 6.9 Bass Guitars 09/11/2013