SEG STD Review

manufacturer: SX date: 01/15/2009 category: Electric Guitars
SX: SEG STD
It has 24 jumbo frets on a rosewood and maple neck. The body is made of agathis with flammed maple on top. The body is very similar to the RG Ibanezes.
 8.2
 7.7
 8.6
reviews (2) 20 comments vote for this gear:
SEG STD Reviewed by: teknotard, on february 28, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Features: I don't know what year this was made but it was made in China. It has 24 Jumbo Frets on a rosewood and maple neck. The body is made of agathis with flammed maple on top. The bosy is very similar to the RG Ibanezes. The finish is a red wine, almost purple. The hardware is all chrome, non-locking stock tuners and a single-locking Floyd Rose tremelo. Typicall dual passive humbuckers with three way selector and 1 tone 1 volume. // 9

Sound: I play a variety of music, typically I play progressive or Indie rock (Moneen, Dredge, Glassjaw). This guitar fits the styl well enough. In my expierence, I have bee able to make most guitars work for any style. This guitar works really well with heavier music, but that is to do with the look, and the playability more. I have ran this guitar through 3 set ups all of which sound really good. My main set up is a Line-6 Uber Metal and Ibanez Tube Screamer through a Rocktron Velocity 1X12. It is clear and pules through with out being over bearing. It is very clean and not noisey at all. My biggest complant is the bridge pickup is a little flat sounding (but then again I usually play semi-hollows). It is to be expected. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I was really surprised. With the amount that I paid, I expected a lot of work. For the most part the guitar came set up with a low action (I lowered it a tad to see how far I could take it but it wasn't much). Pickups were in the right postion and the intonation was dead on! At first I though I might have to shim the neck just a tad as it was at a very slight angle but for the most part it has been fine and has actually worked out. Clearly there was some work that went into it before I recevied it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think this is a solid guitar. I have had some small issues with tuning, although it has been better then my $500 Epi Les Paul. I always, and I mean always, gig with 2 guitars. But to be honest I don't think I would need it. I replaced the strap buttons with Schaller strap locks, but that is a must for ever guitar. The one spot where durability lacks is the finish on the back, I noticed that even a slight touch with plastic has scratched it. Finish on the back of a 170.00 guitar is a non concern for me. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I think I am gonna get another SX guitar through Rondo Music, they have throughly impressed me. If this guitar was lost I would proably get a new one I think it is a good completment to my other intstruments. Also, I compared this guitar to a JS and and RG Ibanez. I found it very similar to the RG and superior to the 1500 JS. This sounded better and played way better then the JS. So if you are looking for good guitar for a cheap price get this one, it is the most expensive of the SEG series and I think it is totally worth it. // 9

SEG STD Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 15, 2009

Purchased from: rondomusic.com

Features: The SX SEG STD has a neck with 24 jumbo frets and an Ibanez RG shaped body with a flame maple top. The body is a deep wine red color, and for the price, looks very good in my opinion. It has 2 humbuckers, a 3 way selector swtch, and 1 volume and 1 tone knob. The bridge is a LISCENSD Floyd Rose, so it isn't as good as an original, but still stays in tune quite well and is good for a beginner. It came in a plain brown box that had "SX" on it and contained the guitar and 3 allen wrenches. // 9

Sound: I play mostly rock and hardcore/metalcore (Metallica, Nickelback, Bullet for My Vaentine, and Avenged 7x), and this gutar suits this style quite well. It will sound much better through a decent amp, however. The tone and volume knobs are very responsive, and one can get a clean sound even on a distorted amp channel by adjusting the tone. The humbucker pickups give a good metal/rock sound with not too much buzz on distorted and they give a nice, bright sound on clean. Chords, however, do tend to get a bit muddy with distortion. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where this guitar is lacking. The setup at the factory was, to say the least, horrible. The action was very high out of the box. In fact, after playing my Epiphone Les Paul then going back to the SX, the action feels at least twice as high on the SX than on the Les Paul, and it doesn't end there. Starting at about the 7th or 8th fret on the E, A, and D strings, there is horrible fret buzz. I tried fixing this by adjusting the truss rod and even raising the action even more, but the buzz is still there. It turns out that the neck badly needs to be shimmed. On top of that, the guitar was not in tune out of the box and the Floyd Rose was set up horribly. In the back cavity of the guitar, there was only one spring on one side of the Floyd holding it to the guitar body, causing it to be very lopsided. The only good thing I can say about this guitar is that it stays in tune very well once you get everything set up correctly. // 3

Reliability & Durability: I definately wouldn't use this guitar in a gig without a backup. It might be able to withstand Live playing, but I wouldn't trust it by itself. The hardware does actually seem good for the price. The Floyd Rose seems to be built out of decent enough metal to hold up and the strap buttons seem to be solid. The finish, however is almost as bad as the setup. I am not hard on my guitars and try to transport them carefully, but somehow this guitar already has 2 chips in the body wood and a large scratch on the back. I haven't dropped it at all and haven't hit it on anything hard enough that it should cause the wood to chip, but what do you expect? This is a cheap guitar and it does have a nice finish out of the box. Just be very careful with it. // 8

Overall Impression: This was my first guitar and it was a good guitar to learn on. It fits the style of music I play (rock and hardcore) very well. However, if I knew the setup (mainly the action) was going to be this bad, I would have chose something else. If this guitar was lost or stolen, I probably would buy something else. Although this looks good with the flame maple top and Floyd Rose, the things that really count, such as action and setup, aren't that great. If your a beginner looking for a first guitar, I would recommend saving a little more and buying an Epiphone or an Agile. However, for someone that knows how to setup guitars and is just looking for something with a lot of features to mess around with, this is the one for you. // 6

More SX reviews rating category latest review
+ Furrian Telecaster Clone 8.6 Electric Guitars 05/29/2014