SR-1 STD BK Review

6.6
reviews (2) 16 comments vote for this gear:
SR-1 STD BK Reviewed by: Kboth18, on august 19, 2010

Purchased from: Rondomusic.com

Features: This guitar has many features that are great for playing metal and hard rock. It has a 24 fret maple bolt on neck with a rosewood fretboard and cream binding. The neck is very thin and flat comparable to an Ibanez Wizard neck. Neck has a smooth and comfortable satin finish. The body is a typical Strat shaped body similar to most Ibanez RG bodies. The body is solid Alder and is back routed (no pickguard) This guitar was available in 3 finishes. Black, White, or Red and I bought the black version. Pics are on my profile. The bridge is a Licensed Floyd Rose bridge That is only single locking meaning that you don't cut the ball ends off, just run the strings through the bridge and lock it off at the nut. My suggestion is to use the low 4 strings from a set of .09's and to use the 2 high strings from a set of .10's because the strings tend to snap if you pull up too far. Or replace the bridge with an original floyd rose(double locking) It comes with an HSH pickup configuration that is nice and loud. I plan on changing these out for EMG's or GuitarHeads MegaMetal humbuckers soon. It has one Volume knob and one Tone knob and a 5 way pickup selector switch. The tuners are SX brand tuners and are pretty decent but that doesnt matter because of the locking nut. // 8

Sound: I play Thrash Metal (Slayer, Megadeth, Early Metallica) and a lot of modern Metallica. I also play some Scorpions and Black Sabbath as well and this guitar suits these styles very well. It sounds great with a nice heavy distortion and it has great cleans. I run this through a Boss SD-1 overdrive pedal(for solos) and a Morley Bad Horsie Wah pedal and into a Randall RG100 G3 Plus(better than original G3). I find that the pickups are a tad noisy when using the pups as single coils through distortion but the hbuckers by themselves are awesome. I can get pretty decent harmonics both natural and artificial/pinch. I live the Floyd bridge... its fun just to F**k around with it and make crazy noises. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar needed a professional setup because it has a Floyd bridge and they are a headache to someone not accustomed to setting up the bridge. The action is very comfortable. A little higher than I prefer but very nice nontheless. I so far haven't found any flaws whatsoever with the exception that the bridge tends to break low guauge strings at the ball end too easy. Its very comfortable and easy to play. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely withstand live playing as long as you are comfortable with a Floyd Bridge. Hardware seems very durable and stable. The strap buttons are solid but I plan on changing them out for Straploks soon. I would never use it at a gig without a backup especially because of the floyd but I'd never not have a backup whe playing live. The finish is decent but it could have been a little better. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar suits my style of playing very well. I've been playing for about a year now but I've known guitars and amps for years(father and cousin play). I own an ESP LTD M-10, a cheap beginners guitar, an acoustic, and this guitar. My other gear is listed above. If it was lost or stolen I would buy another in a heartbeat.I love that it has 24 frets to hit high notes in solos, I love the HSH pups, and I love the Floyd Rose bridge and Ultra thin neck. The only flaw I've found is that it only locks in one place and not at the bridge. I compared it to several high end Ibanez guitars and this guitar is practically equal in all except the pickups and bridge. // 9

SR-1 STD BK Reviewed by: ACT4life, on march 12, 2012

Purchased from: Rondomusic.com

Features: Clean looking guitar got a very ibanezish feel. Mine had a sticker said made in Vietnam. The body is made of 3 piece maple and the neck is maple also. The fretboard is rosewood. The neck is the only part of the guitar with binding the binding being white. The body is fairly decent weight and the neck has 24 jumbo frets. The pickups are proprietary from rondo and are kinda weak I would recommend getting new ones from a shop. The pickups are humbucker single humbucker and have a 5 way pickup selector like a strat. It comes with a floyd rose SINGLE locking tremolo with a locking nut I would recommend switching the cheap D'Addario strings for super slinky ernie balls and only super slinkies because they won't break and play exceptionally well. // 9

Sound: It plays a very well drop d and stays in tune when doing divebombs. The stock humbuckers block noise very well. Using a noiseless cable is also very helpful in blocking the single coil noise i would have to say First Act cables from target are actually very good. Playing a more synyster gates style on this guitar is easily manageable because it has almost a simmilar guitar setup minus the Sustainiac <--------------(but you could get it installed =D). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was setup well at factory. The bridge was routed perfectly to match the floyd rose. Altough the tremolo was tuned wrong and not tuned flush to the body. No other problems but that // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is great for live playing and has a professional look to it. The stock pickups don't look like they will last very long but you could always get new ones the strap locks are very secure they look like Seymour Duncan strap locks almost. always have a backup though because if strings that aren't slinky are installed then you'll end up breaking them when pulling back on the tremolo. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall very solid quality for 150 dollars would recommend to others. Two things I would recommend switch pickups out for either EMG,s or sustainiac, Then change the strings to ernie balls. Love playing this guitar has a very good feel having played professional guitars E.G. (Synyster Gates custom-s, Ibanez iceman Sam toteman edition, Floyd rose discovery) I would say that this guitar is on a list for professional use. // 9

More SX reviews rating category latest review
+ Furrian Telecaster Clone 8.6 Electric Guitars 05/29/2014