SSG Standard Review

manufacturer: SX date: 04/29/2008 category: Electric Guitars
SX: SSG Standard
This guitar is a copy of Gibsons SG. It has Tune-O-Matic bridge, passive pickups, 2 tone and 2 volume controls, 3-way selector switch (neck, brige, neck & bridge).
 Features: 9.5
reviews (2) pictures (3) 4 comments vote for this gear:
SSG Standard Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 30, 2007

Purchased from: stringer

Features: It was made in 2001 in China. It has 22 frets on a slim taper bolt on neck. This guitar is a copy of Gibsons SG, body is alder and I'm not shure about the neck but the color of the wood seems like it's maple. Neck joint on 19th fret. Finish is wine red, just like gibsons original, not that pale orangey stuff they use now. Neck, though, is left unfinished. Body style as I said is gibson/epiphone SG. It has tune-o-matic bridge, passive pickups, 2 tone and 2 volume controls, 3-way selector switch (neck, brige, neck&bridge). Unknown pickup model, non-locking tuners. Included accesseories: gig bag, although I was expectig to get at least a cable with it. It can not be compared to a Gibson, but still for the money I payed it's great. Just for comparison in my country Gibson SG costs around 2500 euros, some even more. // 10

Sound: I play mostly hard rock, some would call it metal, I don't know there are different opinions so you decide (e.g. Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and such), and I must say it suits me good for this type of music. It also sounds good playing some blues, old school rock and stuff like that. I tried it all on an Epiphone G-400 and it sounds the same. I'm using it on a Vox pathfinder (15W) and it sound great with or without overdrive and distortion. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Set-up was awful! Truss rod was adjusted good, but action, it couldn't be worse, but it was easy fix. Took the scrwdriver in my hands and adjusted those little screws that hold the pickups and tweaked a little that tune-o-matic bridge, and now it's great. One of the thing I didn't like was that the volume nob came off, when I first picked up the guitar, bu when I put it back it stayed there, even after being on many gigs. There are no flaws in finsh and pickup selector is silent as it can and should be, I mean it's silent as a grave. The input jack does tend to loosen itself, but after two months of constant playing. That is easily fixed by screwing it back in. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live playing, and it does. Do you need a backup, not only that I don't think so, I know so, it has been tested. Hardware. I can't say I didn't see better, but it will last for years, with no buzzing or any kind of noise. Strap buttons are really solid, I mean, you can jump all over the place and the strap will stay in it's place. Finish is great it withstood all kinds of bumping and kicking, it's great! // 10

Overall Impression: I can't say it is great for metal, I mean, you can use it for that but I think you woud soon need stronger pickups, these just don't give enough of power. They're hust more hard rockish. So you could play metal, grunge etc., but it just doesnt't have that crunch to it. Every other not so boom, traaas, karrang style yes! I've been playing for ten years now, and I've had loads of cheap gear and because I still don't have too much money, I still use all that cheap gear. In all those years I've seen too much, but I have been testing most of the expencive gear while I was working in the music store, and if you want something cheap and not good, but great go for this. I would not get it lost or stolen in the first place, it's always near me. But I would buy it to anyone who wants a guitar, it is ten times beter than those squiers, no offence to Squier users, some people really enjoy them, I had two of those and I don't plan on buying them anymore, not unless they change their quality. Don't be fooled by the price that I payed for it, I googled a bit and found that it's much cheaper out there in the big world than here in this small country (but with a big heart). Take your cash and go buy it, you won't regret it. Do not expect a Gibson quailty! It is not Gibson (though I wish I had one). My overall impression. // 9

SSG Standard Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 29, 2008

Purchased from: Local shop

Features: It was made in 2007, in China. Mahogany body with single piece set neck(mahogany also), a fat les paul neck. Rosewood fretboard with M.O.P trapezoid inlays. It's a exactly Gibson copy, this means: SG body, tune-o-matic bridge, 2 humbuckers, 3-way switch, 2 knowbs for tone and 2 for volume (for each pickup). Vintage tuners. The most curios thing about this guitar is that it is sold with a hard case that it's identical to the Gibson one (thw one with Pink fur inside). It's very for you Who want a good guitar and with a nice case. // 9

Sound: Because of its mahogany body, you get very nice warm and a average to good clean sounds (it's sounds awesome with some distortion). I'm runnin' it through a Marshall Valvestate 8020 and a Zoom 505 II(please don't laugh). It's pretty much fit for anything, but I'd recommend for blues and rock in general. The only problem is the pickup config: it's too bassy, even the bridge pickup. I'd recommend putting some Seymour Duncan there and you're done with a nice mahogany guitar with some nice pickups. I'll give it a 7 'cause of it's mahogany body. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Well the finish is flawless, when you see it you think you're getting a Gibson. Very pretty guitar. Well the set-up wasn't very bad, but wasn't good either. I sent it to the luthier and then it became very confortable. Everything else was perfect, everything but one thing: the main problem of the guitar: the tuning pegs. At first, they're good, but after a time they will become loose and it will go out of tune a lot. I recommend buying new ones (buy these before buying the pickups). // 7

Reliability & Durability: After adjusting or buying new tuning pegs, it will withstand a lot of Live playing!! I have this guitar for 1 year and I never had problems with the strap buttons. The hardware, well I take very good care of my guitar ("she" is my daughter) and the hardware would still last even if I didn't take care of her. I would and I did gig without a backup, and plus you get yourself a very sexy guitar to play with! The finish looks like it'll last forever, as it doesnt't have a single scratch. It never disapointed me. With the hard case you reduce your chances of destroying your guitar from tours and gigs. // 10

Overall Impression: The impression you get from this guitar is that is a Gibson copy, and made very perfectly! I played both this and the Epiphone G400, and I prefer this very much. This is the only guitar I own (I've been playing for 4 years I guess). I just wish I had enough money to buy new pups. If it were stole/lost, I'd cry, because I'm too poor to buy it again, but I'd if I had the money. I'd probably hunt down the thief and torture him, after hours of torture I'd kill him and burn his body, and then after I die I will seek him in hell, well that's enough! To conclude, if you want a Gibson and lack the money or an intermediate player's guitar, just buy this and you will be happy! // 8

More SX reviews rating category latest review
+ Furrian Telecaster Clone 8.6 Electric Guitars 05/29/2014