SST57 Review

manufacturer: SX date: 07/26/2011 category: Electric Guitars
SX: SST57
An amazingly priced electric guitar with all the features you'll need! Easy to play electric guitar, perfect for the beginner or intermediate player.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.5
 Features: 7.5
 6.9
 7.2
 6.6
reviews (2) pictures (7) 15 comments vote for this gear:
SST57 Reviewed by: Tonehfox, on july 01, 2008

Purchased from: www.Rondomusic.com

Features: I'm not sure what year this was made, most likely 2007-2008. Made in China with an Alder body, 21 fret bolted on Maple with gloss finish. Average finish and paint on it; the site calls it Posder blue but it is really more Aqua. This guitar is based off of early Fender Stratocasters in terms of overall build. The bridge is a normal tremolo bridge that isn't great, but not terrible. 3 Single Coils, 1 Vol, 2 Tone knobs, 5 way Switch. The pickups and knobs are a Vintage cream color as opposed to the white pickguard. Generic SX tuners. It's really a typical Strat copy. // 7

Sound: The sound out of this guitar is rather nice. I play Mainly Jazz fusion, Blues, Classic rock, and some light Metal and this guitar can cover each one well. The sound is very bright, but the pick-ups are very weak. It's hard to get a decent pinch, natural, or artificial harmonic out of this guitar. They're mainly too muffled or "hollow" sounding. I play this through a Roland Cube 60 and normally leave reverb up a lot and with minimal chorus. The cleans on this guitar are phenomenal to me. You can get the airy or warm tone with some fiddling around. My biggest complaint is that the guitar gets a tad noisy with the pick-up selector in the 1, 3, and 5 positions. Distortion/Drive work well, but once again harmonics are hard to make sound right. It is also hard to play distorted and not get a lot of extra noise from the other strings. Replacing the pickups will get you s very nice guitar. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the box, the guitar was playable, but not well set up. The strings were a little rusted, and the tremolo bridge was very loose. Literally placing your finger on the bar and push the bar down a bit. The pickups will most likely need to be completely replaced rather than just adjusted on this guitar. The bridge on my guitar is not very good. Even after adjusting the truss rod and bridge, the bridge is actually pulled slightly off of the body with Standard .10 strings. The neck has a beautiful gloss finish that is perfectly applied. It even looks a little quilted. Even frets that are nicely filed, but it looks like there is some glue around each fret on the side of the neck, giving an ugly dark yellow stain underneath the gloss. The body feels a bit "chunkier" than average strats and Strat copies. The fretboard is also mostly flat and with what I would call a wide Fender "D" neck. The nut wasn't cut perfectly. There's a "chip" in it on the side of the fretboard. The tuners are low quality and need to be replaced though, especially if you plan on using the tremolo. Another complaint is that my guitar had a very tiny dent in the first fret near the B string. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar feels very durable. I've accidentally banged it around a bit and it's fine. The hardware feels kind of cheap though, but that's expected of a cheap guitar. The strap buttons feel solid, solid enough for me to walk around without strap locks. I would take this guitar to a gig, but with backups just in case. It feels reliable, but not 100% reliable. The gloss on the neck is tough, as in if you dent the neck, the gloss will actually dent with it other than chip off. The paint on the body seems tough, but not invincible. That's sort of an upside for strats though if you like relicing. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar matches my style perfectly. I've been playing for over a year. I own an Epiphone G-400 and a Squier Affinity Strat, and I prefer this guitar over both of them. If this was lost or stolen I'd be terribly sad and maybe buy another, but probably with a stop tail and a different color. This guitar easily beats out Squier strats, and with some upgrading it may become on par with a MIM Strat. I wish this guitar had just a little better quality of materials. It's a nice guitar that can be worlds better with some extra work and money. // 7

SST57 Reviewed by: Hunter2081, on july 26, 2011

Price paid: € 50

Purchased from: Waltons Ireland

Features: I'm not entirely sure what year it was made, but considering I'm the first owner of this new guitar, I doubt it's that old. The Body is solid Alder, Maple Neck and it has a 21 fret Maple fretboard. It has 1 volume, 2 tone controls and a 5 way selector. No included accessories as such. Just allen keys really. Considering the lack of gigbag it won; t be getting a perfect score here. But seeing as I spent pennies on this, I can't comaplin too much. // 8

Sound: I play a mix of sounds, punk (like The Foxboro Hot Tubs), metal (Pantera), rock (Guns N Roses, and the more popish Muse). And loads of other bands in between. This guitar is noisy compared to my other single coil guitars, but it was pretty decent overall, shining on some of the fuzzier Muse stuff, and some Jimi Hendrix stuff. Overall, for such a low price, it sounds quite decent through most amps, cheap or expensive. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came in a BEAUTIFUL condition. The two tone burst has a red tinge to is as opposed to brown. It looks stunning, and this rather unnuasual finish has become one of my favourite finishes to date on a stratocaster. The pickups, action and intonation were actualy quite good from the box, with only a little adjustment needed. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Here's where we find the week point. This guitar goes out of tune really quickly, especially when using the tremolo (which makes the notes sharp, as they bind to the cheap nut). The strap buttons were a decent size, but I will always put straplocks on my guitars. The finish is very durable and quite lovely. Mainly for the tuning problems, I would not use this without a backup. // 5

Overall Impression: For 50 I feel as if I stole this thing. It's a great guitar in fairness to it, but it would greatly improve with better hardware (tuners, nut and Bridge especialy). If you're a beginner, I would say to avoid this guitar, as the tuning issues will stop you from playing. However, if you're experienced such as myself, and you're looking to mod. I've yet to find a better guitar to mod for cheap. If this guitar was to be stolen, and I could get another good deal on it, I would buy the same model in a heartbeat. // 9

More SX reviews rating category latest review
+ Hawk SE 4.6 Electric Guitars 02/07/2014