GX-200 Review

8.5
 9.4
reviews (2) 3 comments vote for this gear:
GX-200 Reviewed by: Just_for_you, on august 15, 2006

Features: This as a red and black Takamine GX-200. It has 22 frets, 3 knobs (volume, treble, bass), a pickup selector, non-locking tuners, and two sets of humbuckers. I believe this guitar was made in Japan, has a solid body, a maple fretboard, and a Strat-shaped body. there's nothing extremely special about this guitar, although it is a very beautiful guitar. The head is black on the front, and black with a spray-paint like design in the middle of the back of the head. The body and the back of the neck are black around the edges with that same spray-paint like quality red in the middles. // 8

Sound: I play mostly hard rock and metal, and this guitar is a perfect match. I use it with a Marshall JCM 800 Lead Series amp, and I use such pedals as Ibanez SD9 Sonic Distortion, Line 6 CrunchTone, and a Rocktron Silver Dragon Distortion/Overdrive. It definitly is a good match for hard rock and metal players, because it can give you those heavy rock sounds that a lot of guitarists look for. It has a very full sound, and can also give you those screaming highs that come in handy for high-speed metal shredding solos. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar does not contain any obvious manufacturing flaws. All the pickups were adjusted to perfection. It has high quality wood on the fretboard, and every part of it looks as if it were very carefully crafted. The finish on the guitar is very good and has lasted about 20 years now without any of it wearing off. I really admire the work on this guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is extremely reliable and durable. This particular guitar is about 20 years old, and sounds as if it is brand spankin new. It has been dropped, hit, and whacked on shelves and dressers multiple times over the years, and takes those blows without a problem. The most major thing that has happened to it is a chip came out of the body, but is barely noticable. Everything on it was built to last, and the finish has not worn off at all. I would rely on this guitar for just about anything, anytime. // 10

Overall Impression: I play hard rock and metal, and this guitar is perfect for it. I gives you that real solid metal sound, especially with a good distortion pedal. If it were lost or stolen, I would definitely look to purchase another one, eventhough they are very hard to find these days. I love the extremely heavy music this guitar can give you, but I think its biggest flaw is when it is in a dropped tuning, no matter how much you adjust it, the low-E string always seems to rattle against the fretboard. For all you rockers and metal players out there, I would highly recommend this guitar // 9

GX-200 Reviewed by: r12g14, on december 27, 2006

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

Features: I am not sure what year it was made all I know is it was made a long time ago. I don't know eher it was made. It has 22 frets. The would is solid. I am not sure what would it was made of but it has a vbery nice feel to it. it has a red and black sunburst. It has a double cut style to it. I have passive electronics on it. It has volume treble and bass on it. the pickups are stocke to the guitar. There are no included things to it that I know of. // 8

Sound: It is a very good counding guitar for hard rock metal blues and really anything along rock. I use a ustom half stack with a distortion pedal. It is not really noisy but sometimes tha amop gets a little bit noisy. It is a very rich fat bright sound. It has a pretty big variety of sounds it can make. It can make a lot of sound s but I think the amp has more to do with the kind of sounds it can make but with its humbucker pickups it sounds like a good rock guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up fairly good I've add to move the action and the bolt where the chord goes in has come undone a lot of times. The pickups were adjusted pretty well. The guitar didn't have any real flaws when I got it because I got it used so itf there was they got fixed mefore I got it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't use this guitar to play live. I think it will be deone in a few years because it is already like 20 years old. The strap buttons are totally secure but I would get strap locks because I wouldn't trust dropping itI couldn't really depend on it I'd be scared tsomething would fall off and there is a buzzing fret which I don't like. The finish is one thing I like about this guitar, it is a very nice looking guitar. // 6

Overall Impression: I play hard rock music. This is not my full time guitar and it doesnt't completely fill my music style. I have been playing for about 3 years. I own and Epiphone X-Plorer which I normally use and a Kustom half stack. I have a Traynoer half stack and a Traynor Pa sytem. I also have a Yamaha 4-track, I love the tone and how it looks. I hate the buzzing fret and the feel. I didn't buy it and I didn't compare it. If I lost it I wouldn't buy it again. I wish it had better feel but it's old so it isnt a big fdeal. // 7

More Takamine reviews rating category latest review
+ D20 9.5 Acoustic Guitars 12/23/2013