ROCK III Skull Review

manufacturer: Tanglewood date: 04/30/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Tanglewood: ROCK III Skull
Contemporary double cutaway rock guitar, basswood 45mm body, bolt-on rock maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, three Entwistle 'Darkstar' humbucker pickups, 5-way toggle switch, 1 volume & 1 tone control, Fulcrum tremelo system, Deluxe mini machine heads, Themed Abalone inlays, black matt finish with skull design on body.
 8.8
 9.6
review (1) 9 comments vote for this gear:
ROCK III Skull Reviewed by: sparkysmith, on april 30, 2007

Purchased from: local music shop

Features: Made in 2006, although I'm not sure where. 24 jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard, maple neck. Not too sure what wood the body is. Matt black finish with skull and crossbones and skull and crossbones fret markers. Super Strat style body, Tune-O-Matic bridge. Volume, tone, 5-way selector switch, three entwistle darkstar humbuckers. Came with a gig bag and tuner and a handful of picks. // 10

Sound: I usually play hard rock/metal and this guitar suits it perfectly. I use it with my Behringer LX-112 V-ampire, usually on the "nu-metal" amp setting with the bridge pickup and it sounds amazing. It also plays great in clean settings which took me by surprise. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly. The action was low, just the way I like it. The pickups were all perfect and everything was great. although after 3 months a buzzing noise came from the guitar when I played the A string on the 12th fret and the input jack is loose after 6 months but all minor fixes. Other than that, it's pretty perfect. I had the bridge changed to a floating one (the previous bridge was great, just personal preference) although locking tuners would be handy. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar has definitely lasted well, so far 8 months of gigging and jamming and it hasn't let me down (apart from the loose jack input although it was just tightened and then worked well) I previously dropped it (and broke my toe in the process) but it was a problem with the strap (bought in a different place) so a pair of strap locks fixed that. otherwise, it's been great. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a perfect guitar for the style of music I play, the neck is amazing, so fast. I have been playing for a year now and it's perfect for beginners as well as more advanced guitarists. I also own an epihphone Flying V and my dad has a Fender Bullet and PRS Custom 24 but I prefer the Tanglewood. If it were stolen, I would definitely buy a new one. (in the same finish, it's kick ass) I love everything about it, especially the pickups, they make a great noise. Although I wish it had locking tuners, as it goes out of tune very easily when doing whammy bar harmonics etc but that's probably only because of the new bridge. All in all, an amazing guitar, and for 200, a steal. // 10

More Tanglewood reviews rating category latest review
+ TW45 W OP E 8.7 Acoustic Guitars 02/11/2014