TSE 605 Review

manufacturer: Tanglewood date: 08/18/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Tanglewood: TSE 605
The TSE 605 is a Tanglewood version of the classic '50s SG style of electric guitars, the twin horns giving that familiar aggressive look. Featuring two uncovered Entwistle 'DarkStar' humbucking pickups, twin volume and tone controls, and a 3-way toggle selector.
 8.6
 9.3
 7.9
reviews (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
TSE 605 Reviewed by: bettyswollox, on october 10, 2005

Features: With the pickups, on my model there are two chrome plates covering the pickups. It is an SG style guitar. - Body: contoured basswood - Neck: hard maple/set - Fingerboard: rosewood - Frets: 22 - Tuners: pearl Tulip - Bridge: 6 saddle Tune-O-Matic - Pickups: 2 Entwistle DarkStar humbuckers - Hardware: chrome - Controls: 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way Switch. // 9

Sound: I play mostly modern rock and Indie music and when I purchased this guitar a year ago I wasn't sure which guitars suited particular styles. However, I feel that this guitar can handle pretty much any type of music. I usually play anything from Guns N'Roses, Muse, Foo Fighters, Nirvana to Red Hot Chili Peppers, Futureheads, Coldplay, Razorlight and Oasis. I feel that this guitar can handle all of these styles pretty damn well, a hell of a lot of sustain and very clear sounds despite the level of gain! I play this through a Vox AD30VT and can get a range of tones out of it (even ska). Overall, I believe that this SG model is a very good guitar for a beginner/intermmediate level player, and it suits most styles. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got the guitar it was in amazing condition, no flaws, like it was just made before I bought it. Over the past year, the only complaint I have is that I have had a few buzzing frets, but that was sorted out with some fret filing. The action was at a perfect setting as were the pickups. It is very well built and I have had a couple of accidents with it, however, it is very strong and there are no visible dents or scratches. Overall, I was impressed with the action, fit and finish considering the guitar is supposed to be an SG copy! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't yet played live at all but so far it has proved to be extremely durable and reliable. The hardware will last as long as I like as there have been no problems so far, however if the pickups were upgraded it would be like a real SG. If I was to gig in the future I would probably take a backup, but thats only because I have never gigged before. Otherwise it is a very reliable guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing for just over two years and it has suited all styles of music that I have been playing, despite my range. I believe that you can get a good sound from any amplifier with this guitar and I have failed to get a bad sound. if it were stolen/lost I would not buy another model, but thats only because I am currently saving up for a Fender tele. My favourite things about the guitar are the pale green grover tuners and the classic SG look of the guitar. Although it is not a genuine Gibson, it is the next best thing, well suited for beginner and intermmediate players. I wish it had a bigsby tremolo system but thats purely my preference and dream! I completely recommend this guitar to anyone who wants to get value for money and a decent looking guitar! // 9

TSE 605 Reviewed by: ze monsta, on august 18, 2007

Sound: This guitar suits my style of music great. I generally play Garage, Blues, Hard Rock and recently a few of my own metal licks.It has a tone and can be very subtle, just what I wanted. The Lows are great, I generally have the pup selector on the bridge and the tone very low as this give me the raw sound I like. I am using a Marshall MG10CD with this guitar, and the tone is vibrant and full. Yesterday my elder brother (a bassist was fiddiling around on it) and he slid down to around the 18 fret and out came a Slash kinda shred note, I was amazed! I think this guitar has a great tone, and could be improved on by using a better amp. It also has great sustain. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was perfect, very low, with no fret buzz at all. The Action is about 2/3 millimetres above the fret, so very low. I was very pleased with the bridge, it was in perfect condition, routed well and doesn't look like it will rust. I have just one complaint: the pup selector is quite noisy, and the cover on the end (the black bit) almost came off first touch, and then had to be tightened up. The controls are sturdy and turn smoothly. The finish is in Cherry and great, the neck is very smooth and not over laquered. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have not yet played live with this guitar though it has been through many a jam session and is still in good nick. It is very reliable and durable. The hardware seems like it will last as does the finish, which is great. The strap buttons are solid as is the input. I can depend on it, though would have a backup on a gig. // 9

Overall Impression: I think it is a great guitar, with a very good finish + great build quality. I have been playing for 4 years, and this is a very good guitar for intermediate guitarists on a budget. If it were stolen I would hunt down and skin whoever took it and then impale them on it. And I reckon it would still be fine after that. I would buy this again if it were stolen or lost-definetly. My favourite feature are the pups, they give a great tone and there is little buzz. I just wish it had a tremelo, to make it look that much sexier! // 10

More Tanglewood reviews rating category latest review
+ TW130 ASM CE 9 Acoustic Guitars 07/24/2014