Del Rey ET-220 Review

manufacturer: Teisco date: 04/04/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Teisco: Del Rey ET-220
This guitar is a good practice and songwriting tool. The body shape is very pleasing and the tremolo is nice. It's a mixture of things that are so cool you don't understand why no one else has used them since and serious design flaws.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Features: 7.7
 8.4
 8.7
 8.1
reviews (4) pictures (7) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Del Rey ET-220 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 21, 2005

Sound: This guitar is best with either a totally clean sound, or one with a touch of warm overdrive. It feedbacks when excessive distortion is applied. I'm using it with an old Fender amp right now, don't know the make. Very bright sound except when the tone knob is rolled off, then it becomes its own kind of fuzz machine. There's an automatic feedback point at the 7th fret which is very useful. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was perfect except for the Low E which had buzzing issues which have since been corrected. The tone knob was also wired in reverse, with 10 being the lowest setting and 0 being the highest. Excepet for that it was perfect. // 8

Overall Impression: I love it, perfect for lo-fi experimental music. It would never get stolen cause I sleep with it. // 10

Del Rey ET-220 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 04, 2008

Features: I believe it is around a 1968-69 Teisco. I think it is a Del Ray, although it doesn't have the inlay on the pick guard. When I received it, it had been sitting in a closet for many years. The switches were bad, and the pickguard was broken where the jack was located. An ugly piece of sheet metal had been cut in a triangular shape and screwed in to support the jack. I replaced the switches and used a soldering iron to melt the plastic of the pick guard back together. I also put a rubber stopper in the tail piece where the tremolo would be locked in place (was missing the spring and bar). It has 22 frets, a currently non-functional tremolo, 2 pickups, has a volume and a tone control, an on-off Switch for each pickup (I like this, because I can turn both pickups off when not in use), and is missing the Teisco metal logo on the head stock (as is common I hear). It was very difficult to identify this guitar when I received it, due to that. It has a very abrupt yellow to black fade/sunburst color. I don't know the wood. I wish I could add a picture. It is very old-school. Very light in weight, and a joy to play. I rate this an 8 because it has what you need to get the job done. It's weight helps a lot. The switch placement is very good. The neck truss is in a cutaway for easy adjustment. The tuners were a bit lacking (sticking, hard to turn), but that is probably due to age and abuse. The only way it could score higher is if it tuned and played itself. // 8

Sound: It has a very warm full jazzy tone. With distortion it gets a very nice vintage garage band sound. I can't get that sound from any of my other guitars. The two pickups get very distinct sounds, the bridge pickup is bright (but not too much so) and the neck pickup is good and warm. I like both on with the tone adjusted down around 2 (mostly bass oriented). The bridge pickup comes through that to give good definition, but the neck pickup fills and warms it out. Overall, a very good unique sound. The pickups can feedback fairly easily when loud and distorted. If you crank it way up, you can talk into the pickups and hear yourself somewhat. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I received it, the strings were probably as old as I am. I was born in 68, and so (most likely) was the guitar, and I don't doubt they were the original strings, or at least close to it. Even with the old strings, it had perfect intonation, and played very well. The action was very high, and I had fun playing slide on it for a while. I replaced the strings and lowered the action a bit, and it plays very nicely. It is very smooth and easy to play. The neck is just right in width and height. Much better than some of my more expensive guitars. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Considering how old this guitar is and the shape I got it in, and the abuse it has obviously received, it survived very well. I have to give good rating to reliability. But some repairs were required, and the pickguard had obviously broken by the jack. It appeared that the guitar fell over while still plugged in, forcing the jack inward, so I blame that on a previous owner, not the guitar. I did have to replace the switches, however. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a variety of music, and this guitar fits most of it. I do a lot of recording, and this guitar blended with my Strat has a very, very nice sound. They complement each other very well. If it were stolen, I would hire a team of thugs to track down the thief and, well, you get the idea. I don't think I could replace it, being what it is, and would be very sad about it's loss. It sounds good, plays well, is extremely light and easy on my back (messed up from too many years of carrying very heavy speaker cabinets). I didn't ask for it, and it was just given to me by a friend out of the blue. What a wonderful surprise. // 9

Del Rey ET-220 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 06, 2006

Features: 1964 made in Japan, 21 medium frets, 2 pickup switches and one tone and volume knob. Hollowbody with 'f' shaped hole on the side finish was in excellent condition considering its age. Came with old beat up case which I've since replaced, 2 humbucking pickups on bridge and neck. Everything worked perfect, surprisingly, after being locked up for more than 3 decades. // 8

Sound: Warm clean acoustic sounding tone on the neck and a bright, almost Strat-like sound, on the bridge. Sounds nice with clean or no overdrive. No buzz from the strings, feedback is tremendous with any sort of distortion. But I use a DigiTech Screamin Blues and it seems to play well. Very versatile. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was great except for a loose jack, thought that may have come with the age. Finish is almost perfect, and tuners still and strap buttons still hold. Frets are very low, at first I thought it was just worn, but later found out that's just how they make em in Japan. Also the tone knob works in reverse, another Japanese innovation. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Hardware will definitely last another 40 years, I would gig it, with a backup of course. Very light body due to the hollowbody, seems like it wouldn't handle as much bangin around as my Tele, but it's lasted very well so far. // 8

Overall Impression: Definitely good for a blues/classic rock guitarist, I might as well have stole it for how much I paid and how good of condition this babys in. If it were stolen I'd mope around the house for a year or so, seeing as it's definitely a rare peice, it's my favorite guitar and ima keep it for a little while. // 10

Del Rey ET-220 Reviewed by: iamtheguitarpro, on december 11, 2006

Features: 1964 or so, Japanese. 21 frets. Fairly thin frets. Alder, I think. It has the normal Teisco finish, vintage sunburst with flowery inlay on pickguard. 2 pickups, soapbar style, kind of rusted. It has a very small body, like a mini-SG, but with the horns facing outward. It has one volume and one tone control, and the bridge has a tremolo but it's very old, and works by a spring. // 7

Sound: I love the sound. It's gritty, but bluesy. I run it straight to a Peavey ValveKing 212, no effects. Very rich sound, but not much variety. I play punk, and it's perfect. It is kind of noisy, but I play it loud enough that it covers that up. I bet if it wasn't so noisy it would be awesome for blues. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first laid eyes on it, the neck was horrible. But after the truss rod was adjusted, it wasn't bad at all. The fretboard is a little rough, but I'm not complaining. The hardware isn't as oxidized as I expected it to be, considering it's been around for 40 years. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Very reliable. Very durable. I love playing it, and it's unique. Also, it's very light, so I can spin it all over the place and feel comfortable. I could play it all night. The finish is worn on the back, but, again, I'm not complaining. The strap buttons aren't very good though, and they aren't the same size as regular ones, so they can't be replaced. I use gaff tape. // 9

Overall Impression: Great for punk, probably great for blues, too. Excellent. I've been playing for a while now, I own a Strat and have played a Tele a lot, though I didn't own it. If it were stolen or lost, well, I can't get another one, so I'd hunt down the thief, or if I lost it, I'd find it. I love how light and playable it is, and how unique it is. But most of all, I love the sound. I plan to replace the pickups with GFS New Yorks. The originals sound good, but they're too oxidized. // 9

More Teisco reviews rating category latest review
+ Del Rey E-110 2.5 Electric Guitars 11/22/2012