ATE-33 Review

review (1) pictures (2) 12 comments vote for this gear:
ATE-33 Reviewed by: paukkumaissi70, on october 08, 2010

Price paid: € 285

Purchased from: Musamaailma, music shop in Helsinki, Finland

Features: Was probably made somewhere in Asia 2005-2007, basic Telecaster copy with a tele bridge, covered neck single coil and open bridge single coil. Only two knobs, overall vol and tone, but I guess that's all teles. It's a telecaster, nothing more or less. // 8

Sound: I play mostly rhythm back-up but some lead stuff as well, basic pop/rock and stuff on the charts, from Madonna to Green Day to Beatles to Bee Gees. The bridge single-coil pick-up gives you the most basic electric guitar sound, you can't really complain, especially for rhythm work. It's a bit noisy as all single-coils when you crank the volume up, and if you have a loud solid state amp, of course it's bright, it's a tele. I play it through a Fender Frontman 212R and a Peavey Classic 30. I can really get some nice Beatles tones with the Peavey. With the warmness of the tubes and a Proco Rat 2 pedal I feel I can also confidently take on Smells like teen spirit or other grungy stuff. The covered neck pick-up is less useful for all-purpose playing, it's more of a smooth country twang tone. I'd give it a 9 because of the neck pick-up, but then again it's a tele so the neck pick-up is part of the package isn't it... // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The set-up was just as it should be: low action, no string buzzing, perfect intonation, microphones at a suitable height, etc. The only problem has been the bridge. Being a tele-style bridge, it has two screws per string holding the string up. For some reason, the screws are always loose, on both E strings, sometimes on G and B as well. I've tried changing the screws as well. With frantic strumming or more violent playing, the screws undo themselves and the strings lower themselves until they buzz against the frets and sound too loud with the microphone. IT'S REALLY IRRITATING!! Also, the bridge's little metal reeds that hold the strings up sometimes touch each other lightly and start buzzing, ie. they aren't tightly together nor separate so when you play the strings they buzz against each other. Also pretty annoying, makes me want to put a piece of cotton or something between the string holders. There's also some small hints in the guitar that it's cheap. The pick guard shaping has been screwed, I wonder if it was shaped by hand? But, besides the crappy bridge, there's really nothing that was wrong in the guitar that would affect playing or sound. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Being a really cheap guitar, I didn't expect much but I have had zero problems with it. I have occasionally gave it the violent treatment, have gigged with it, used force with the knobs, and nothing, it's as good as new. The frets have been way less worn down by the strings than e.g. in my Epiphone Les Paul. Also, the knobs broke loose from the sockets way sooner in that guitar, and they're still in prime condition in this tele. Strap never broke off, etc. Would gig and am gigging without a backup. What could go wrong? // 10

Overall Impression: I think it's a pretty good all-around, or if you want that bright twangy tele tone for country. The bridge has been a pain the ass but besides that, the guitar seems first-class to me, all sound, fit and reliability. // 9

More Tokai reviews rating category latest review
+ Love Rock ASL48 9.5 Electric Guitars 09/16/2013