Love Rock ASL48 Review

Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.3
reviews (3) pictures (2) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Love Rock ASL48 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 12, 2007

Features: This is the Korean model hence the bargain price. Copies features from a Les Paul Standard but with an alder body and a flame sycamore top in a dark violin burst. Set 50`s style neck, covered humbuckers and usual Les Paul controls and bridge etc. Has the nice Gibson style plastic or whatever they`re made of tuners. Looks really nice. // 10

Sound: Needed something with humbuckers for fuller sound when I joined a band playing rock/punk/indie syle tunes. Playing through a Vox ADT50 I`d been playing my tele throgh. sounds awesome cranked up and overdriven, sustains forever using mainly bridge pickup but is also able to produce warm mellow tones especially on AC30 setting on amp which sounds clean and bright until you hit the strings harder and get a growl and crunch. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Set up very well from new apart from a couple of buzzy frets on bottom e and a which I tolerate firstly because you can`t here them when amplified and secondly because I don`t want to adjust the very low and slick action. Bit of glue run at top of neck but only if you look hard. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Everything looks and feels well made, no wobbly buttons or tuners. Feels about same weight as a Gibson so not flimsy. I will be very surprised if it doesn`t last many years in this condition. Then again I`d never gig without a back up unless there`s no one else in the room, on stage and you can`t get alcohol! // 9

Overall Impression: Chose the Tokai after reading and hearing about their Japanese Les Pauls being prefered over Gibsons by some. Certainly not disappointed, I can`t see how Japanese one could be better than this, it`s perfect. I've been playing over 15 years and this is my favourite guitar for rock I've owned, it`s truly magnificent for price, it looks and sounds better than my bandmates Gibson Les Paul Studio and I've played 2000 standards that don`t sound or feel much different. Overall I should`t ever need another Les Paul style guitar, I love this one and don`t think Epiphone would sell another Les Paul if everyone tried these first. Only way up from here is Gibson. // 10

Love Rock ASL48 Reviewed by: mattJriley, on june 11, 2008

Features: This guitar was first made in the 80s but my model is not 28 years old it was built around late 06 early 07. This model has 25 frets but the 23, 24 and 25th are hard to access. It has a relatively low action with jumbo frets and mahogany body and neck.The guitar has a laminated top which is quite protective.It has les paul solid body style body. The Bridge is Tune-O-Matic which is really good for keeping the instrument in tune. It uses passive electronics and the pickups are 2 humbuckers with a pickup selector I use the bridge for increased treble. // 8

Sound: The sound will fit any genre of the rock and metal family. I mainly use it for a indie/emo/pop punk sound which is great because use the bridge pickup for increased trebel which really suits the music I play. At the moment I am using a bass amp with bass turned all the way down with the treble all the way up. I pass through an amp modeller multi FX unit which takes away the bass sound. From time to time I use a Marshall AVT50 (VALVESTATE) stack which really produces the best sound for my guitar. With the guitar on low volume on both pickups it packs a punch giving natural tones close to distortion.But if I put both pickups to full volume and Switch to treble and add tube screamer it really adds a hardcore/metalcore sound which I am now experimenting with and I aim to form my next band around that genre. I know this guitar fits any genre from jazz-metalcore-Indie-alternative-etc. It shows the bost of both worlds moving from a bright sound to a mellow to a hollow deep sound. It has so much variety as explain above. This guitar is good enough to make it's own sound it will suit any amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was low which was usefull because of the style in which I play in so I can get around the fret board easily which really helps for chromatic runs and soloing. The pickups are perfect give a very truthfull sound. The guitar has no flaws except the ones I added to give it a different sound but these can be put to the original state in a second. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been played with infront of audiences you can run around with it let it hang low and i will withstand. The strapbuttons are great they hold without a lock and the guitar is naturally suited for a Live environment which is part of the producution. It lasts i can use it from 5pm to 5am and back with no replacement and the tuning is stable enough to play a long gig and ignore your tuner. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Indie and pop punk regularly which the guitar is suited for because of it's clean tones and light distortion abilities. I am also playing metalcore which the guitar is suited to very well when you add more pickup volume and tube screamer which is suitable for the more hardcore metal riffage. I've been playing it for about 1 & 1/2 which is not very long and the guitar feels the same since this day I bought to present day now. If it got stolen I would be devastated and that would leave no choice but to take down the theif and do all I can to get it back or definately buy a new one. // 10

Love Rock ASL48 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 16, 2013

Purchased from: EBAY

Features: The model I have is made in Korea. It is very similar in many ways to a real Les Paul, but for much less money. It has thin frets and a thin neck which really suits me. I don't have small hands, but have found the neck size and layout to be a perfect fit for me. The body is basswood and has a set neck. Two humbuker pickups made by Tokai, and the usual set up of a Les Paul with tone and volume knobs. Its pretty standard when it comes to features as you get what you expect, nothing more and nothing less. No fancy additions, just a basic Les Paul style guitar. // 9

Sound: I am using this guitar for various types of music and keep coming back to it as my go to guitar. I get a great blues sound out of it, especially using both neck and bridge pickups together. I get a great Angus Young sound out of it, and also a great Dimebag tone and Metallic boom! In fact, this guitar is brilliant for every type of music I have tried. Many of my other guitars I use for a particular style. But this little Tokai can cope with anything. I am playing it with overloud TH2 at the moment, and I love it. I know the pickups are not the most expensive on the market, but I happy with them and personally think that as they are decent and flexible it would be a waste of time changing them. Why fix what isn't broken? Overall, I am very happy with the sound of this guitar for all my needs. I can get a twangy blues Drive and I can also get a thick, rich, ass kicking metal distortion. On top of that, this guitar can really scream. This is my go to guitar every time. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar second hand off eBay. It had already been played with and so I wasn't able to see it straight from the factory. However, it was a gigged guitar and so had the odd little ding here and there. When I got it, I had to raise the bridge a little, and I also changed a lot of the fittings to get a custom look. Ignoring the little dents from gigging, this guitar is flawless. Everything is tidy, and looks high quality. There are no wobbly lines, or gaps, or overlaps. Everything looks measured and fitted with care. I was very surprised with it when I first pulled it out of the box. I had been advised that they were good guitars, but based on the RRP I was expecting a low end guitar, both in feel and construction. What I got was guitar which felt like it should have a higher price tag. I have more expensive guitars which feel cheaper and are less well constructed than this one. There were no buzzes, no annoying little issues. My one gripe is that I felt the neck was a touch sticky with its glossy paint job. I have sorted this a with a bit of wire wool. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very solid. It is heavy and possibly some may be put off by the weight. You could certainly knock nails in with it. Previously I have played a few Gibsons, including a Les Paul Custom, which weighed a tonne. I don't think this guitar is as heavy, but it is certainly very solid. I think it will last a long time, even gigging as it is a fair chunk of wood. So far everything has stayed solid and in good working order. I play this guitar more than any other and yet I seem to do more work on my other guitars than this one. It stays in tune for ages and always sounds great. The electronics have not given me any trouble and seem as solid as the body itself. // 10

Overall Impression: I was advised to have a look at this guitar model by a friend who collected Gibsons and Fenders. He had some very expensive guitars, and told me that his beloved Tokai left them all standing. I saw one on eBay for 180 and gave it a go. I have to say that I am so glad I did. I keep coming back to this guitar as I love the look, I love the feel and I love the sound. It suits me perfectly and always leaves me a little disappointed when I play other guitars. None quite match up to it. I have been playing over 15 years and I have been through many guitars. I have had really crappy cheapo guitars and have also owned and played mid end and top end guitars. Finding this guitar was a big thing for me as it is the first guitar I would hate to loose. Personally, I think Gibsons are overrated and certainly over priced. Many people will look at this Tokai and say that it isn't as good as a Gibson, but I (and many others) know they are wrong. These guitars are just as good, and well worth a go at the price. Don't save for an expensive guitar, just get a few of these, one in each colour. I love this guitar and would be heart broken if I lost it. However, I am well informed that they are all exactly the same in build and quality. So if I lost it, I would be straight back onto eBay and buy another. Do yourself a favour and give one a try. // 10

More Tokai reviews rating category latest review
+ SG88 7.9 Electric Guitars 08/22/2013