SG60 Review

9.1
 5.4
reviews (4) 25 comments vote for this gear:
SG60 Reviewed by: ac/dc#1fan, on march 17, 2008

Features: This is a Japan made Gibson SG Standard copy, and man, did they ever copy it well! It has thin, 22 fret neck. The body is made of mahogany and the neck of the same. The guitar has the classic SG horn cutawat body with a beutiful red color with a black half pickguard. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge with the usual SG style volume and tone nobs. It also has gret sounding P-90 pickups. // 9

Sound: This fits my style perfectly (rock, metal, blues, you nme it, I play it). I have used four amps with it over the years: 12 watt Kustom tube amp, 30 watt Fender frontman, 30 watt Line 6 Spider II, and my current amp, 120 watt Line 6 Spider III. It sounds gret through all amps, even when I hook up my Crybaby pedal. It has a rich, Gibson sound and keeps it even when I crank it full blast through any one of my amps. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this guitar, I will not lie too you, it was perfect! I have had strats, les pauls and other SGs, but this is the only one I got perfect. Seriousely, just perfect! Everything set great, pickups set good, bridge set good, just perfect. I have even tried out my dream 2004 Gibson SG Standard, and it does not compare to it at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have played over 30 shows with this guitar, and it never failed me once. The pickups are just giving out but I have had them for two years. The strap buttons are on solid. I have always played it without a backup and I will continue doing that. The finish is a dream, this guitar has been beat up so much, but no scratches, dents or anything. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything and this guitar is perfect. I have been playing for 5 years and this is the best guitar yet. It is basically a Gibson but with a different name and for half the price. I love this guitar. Put it this way, you can give me any guitar, Gibson, Fender, anything, and this will always be my main guitar! Always! // 10

SG60 Reviewed by: Trunx, on october 13, 2008

Price paid: € 350

Purchased from: Tampereen Musiikki, Finland

Features: My Tokai SG-60 is a 22-fretter from Korea. It's a copy of the Gibson SG, and for a copy so cheap, it's really good! The body and neck are mahogany and it's colour is cherry red, with a black pickguard. It really feels like a real Gibson SG! And I have to say that it's comfortably light. It has the usual four volume and tone nobs and features a Tune-O-Matic bridge. I don't know what tuners it has, but they're bad so they bring down the features rating to 9. // 9

Sound: I play "loud rock n roll" with lots of blues influences. I really love the sound of it, can't tell the difference from a Gibson SG. I'm using it with a Marshall Jubilee, and it sounds good as hell! I love how it's sound balances perfectly between a Stratocaster and LP. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I had really bad luck with my guitar, my particular guitar wasn't particularly well finished. One of it's tone nobs was broken and the other nobs come off too, really easily. Also the tuners were quite bad, but I got them quickly changed. Otherwise she's beauty! // 7

Reliability & Durability: I'd say that for such a cheap guitar, this is really reliable. Yeah, I'd use it without a backup, for sure! The finish actually does come off quite easily, but I actually like the look of it now! The strap buttons are solid, but I've got a bad strap, so got some problems with that. The hardware seems awesome though! // 9

Overall Impression: I'm a bit dissappointed with my guitar, but I happened to get a guitar with some flaws. It really is quite a good guitar, though mostly for beginners. If you have the money, and a little bit more experience, I'd recommend a real Gibson SG, if you like the model. Particularly good about the guitar is it's light weight, and accessability to the higher frets! I can't really think anything awful about the guitar, and I have to be a bit easy on her, since she's just a cheap copy. All in all, yes, I would recommend this to anyone inspired by Blues-Rock! // 8

SG60 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 18, 2009

Purchased from: store in Denmark Street

Features: My SG60 has 22 frets and was made in China. Both the set in neck and body are in a glossy cherry red finish with a fixed black half pickguard, normal for most SG copies. It has the expected humbucker pickups and full controls with a Tune-O-Matic bridge but terrible stock tuners with a puke green plastic cover that can barely handle tuning between Standard and drop D (i have recently replaced them with grover machine heads). It is really comfortable and light, espcially good for a damaged left shoulder. Other than the let down with the tuners the rest of the guitar is really good quality. // 8

Sound: I play mainly rock, hard rock and metal, bands from Green Day and 30 Seconds To Mars to Slipknot and Metallica and for me the guitar suits what I play really well and produces a sound that can be compared to the sound from a Gibson SG. I play through a 15 watt practice amp with an analogue delay pedal and an overdrive distortion pedal. For distortion I generally use the bridge pickup as I have set up in such a way for maximum sound quality, the neck pickup sounds bright and full of tone. With gain up high it can get a bit noisy but nothing that is too awful but other than that no noise whatsoever. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Other than the now replaced tuners which were for 3 of them screwed on diagonally, the guitar set up was reasonable but the action and pickup heights needed adjusting. The is only 1 REALLY annoying problem with the jack input which was not put in correctly and, after taking it in to another store, needs replacing. Everything else is in top shape. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I am yet to gig with this guitar but it looks like it is solid and could easily take a gig without backup. The strap buttons are good but I have straplocks of course and the hardware looks good too that will definitely last. The finish is good but gets a bit fingerprinty but that is nothing a cloth can't handle // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said I play a variety of rock and metal and yeah this guitar seems like a good match. I have been playing just over a year now and own this guitar and a Yamaha Pacifica 012 and a bass. If it were lost or stolen I would chase the guy down and wack him over the head with my bass but failing that I would buy an Epiphone G-400. I would recommend this guitar for the awesome upper fret accessibility and the SG look and style but for that there is Gibson, I would recommend this to beginners however. I just wish I didn't have to spend the money upgrading the tuners... // 9

SG60 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 25, 2010

Purchased from: The Belfast Guitar Emporium

Features: This guitar was made in China. Not to sure when it was made. But it is a perfect guitar. It has 22 frets and I don't know if they are jumbo or not. But they are a decent size. It has a maple neck which is a nice size, very thin. It has a mahogany body with a cherry finnish and a black pick guard. It's got a tune-o-matic bridge. The only problem that I find with it is that the screws sometimes come loose. But nothing that a screwdriver can't fix. // 9

Sound: The sound from this guitar is amazing. I play mainly blue's and rock. But mostly AC/DC. It suits my style quite well. It's pretty light so that helps. I use a Roland 20x amp with it. I can change from blues to rock to metal by just turning a knob on the amp, and I don't need to change anything on the guitar. It can deal with anything. The only problem is that when you put it to the the neck pick up, it turns very deep and muddy, but I usually have on the bridge pick up. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was pretty well set up when I got it new. The pick ups were pretty well set up. But I've only been plying for just over a year now. So I wouldn't know. I've read reviews about the tuning pegs, about them coming loose and not being fitted properly, but I've never had a problem with them. The wood is good quality and withstand a bashing. I've dropped a couple of times and it's still good. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This could withstand live playing. I've only played a couple of songs live but never anything big. I would probably use this without a back-up. The finnish is excellent and could last a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: As I sad, I play a lot of blues, and maybe the odd bit of metal, and it is a real good beginners guitar. And it's good if you don't want to be boring and get a strat. The only thing that I wished it had was a Gibson badge, but we can't have everything. But it is a brilliant guitar and I would recommend it to anyone. // 10

More Tokai reviews rating category latest review
+ Love Rock ASL48 9.5 Electric Guitars 09/16/2013