Slayer Deluxe Review

5.8
review (1) 35 comments vote for this gear:
Slayer Deluxe Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 20, 2008

Purchased from: TTM Supershop Guitars

Features: 2008 TTM Supershop Slayer Deluxe. This guitar is 6 months old and I give it quite a workout at least 2 times a day and gig with it at least once a week. I'm overly hard on guitars. If they can't take it they don't make it in my band. These guitars are made in the United States. It's the classic Strat shape. The 22 perfectly honking frets that go all the way up the neck and make a cool shaped tuning head of themselves. This guitar came from the TTM Supershops perfectly set up like I like it. That's because unlike many guitar makers TTM has guitarists working there. Ya think? The finish is bulletproof and has already stood the test of the wrath of Dave. <--me. The test includes: Whoops,,, knocking it against a doorway really hard at a gig on accident and the ding is hardly noticeable but you can tell there is a ton of paint before you get to the alder wood. That bump would've shattered my Les Paul. I'm sure there are 10 coats. There is a Wilkinson tremolo bar that works like crazy. It came with a rosewood fingerboard which I like best. The frets don't buzz, the action is tight. the locking Sperzel tuners stay put so your not tuning up all night. Everything works peachy. The whole guitar is one big fat feature. And that makes it a huge benefit to my arsenal of over 150 guitars that I have been playing and collecting for many many many years. I'm 47 and been playing since I was 5. I would give it a 10 but I haven't played every guitar in the world. There must be a better guitar but I haven't played it. // 9

Sound: I play in a Pop/Rock band. I plug this TTM hand-made sonic-steamroller through a Fender and a Marshall and another Fender a la Ted Nugent. We play every style and I can get every sound there is. The pickups are a huge improvement on any Fender or Gibson I have and are virtually noiseless unlike my USA 60s and 70s Strats that usually sound like a jet landing when I stop playing so I have to use a noisegate. I plug this guitar straight in most the time and the only effects I use is a cry baby wah wah so it's mainly the overdrive on my amps and the superlative custom made TTM bridge pickup they installed just for me and my ability to sound like what Hendrix would've sounded like had he lived to be my age and never taken drugs. This guitar sound is Rich Full Bright Warm and Full and Rich. I would give it a 10 but again, I haven't played every guitar in the universe because I can't figure out how to get past Mars for less than 25 million bucks. There must be a better guitar but I haven't seen one. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Straight out of the box from Fed Ex it was set up just like I like it. Low action, perfect pickups set in the right place. Everything is routed, cut, painted, etc. perfectly. No flaws at all. The frets were amazing. No buzzing. I could never ask for a better guitar action wise. Fit and finish wise either. Everything was fitted perfectly. They really must put a lot of time into each guitar they make at TTM. What is TTM? I asked the owner Lance Who is a super chill dude and he is quick with a joke as far as I can tell so I don't know if this is true but he told me TTM is "Taller Than Midgets - Because Guitars Are!" I have to admit. This guitar is very much TTM. // 9

Reliability & Durability: One night I accidentally became a little over "ineeb" and ended up explaining to my guitar tech how sturdy and missle-proof it is and I guess he didn't believe me so I "tossed" it over a balcony and it landed in the groundcover plants and rolled/slid down a little berm. When I went to retrieve it the dang thing was still in tune. STILL IN TUNE! It takes a licking and keeps on kicking. My guitar tech Steve got out his tools to straighten the truss rod in the neck because he "just knew" it was going to be out of whack. But it was straight as an arrow. He flipped out. I never laughed so hard. Serious Nuclear-Blast, Groundcover-Zero guitar here. I would use it on a gig without a backup outside of the backyard Bomb Shelter any day after or night before. This guitar will last a long time but if it doesn't (If the fat old bald war kooks have invented something stronger than they used on Hiroshima or Nagasaki) well it didn't cost a fortune anyway so I will probably get some more of them. I'm going to get a couple more right away anyway. As soon as I'm in one place long enough to be there when they come so I can sign for them. // 9

Overall Impression: In case you don't quite get an overall impression of my overall impression of it, here is my impression of it. "Vayoooong Widdla Widdla Widdle Dee Diddla Dee Diddle Szhawaowwwwwng Boowaaaah wahhhh dweeet dit dit dit dit CHOWRUNGADUH dmbada dmbada bada bada ZING wonk." That was me doing my impression of my June 2008 TTM Supershop Slayer Deluxe Six String Perfect Electric Guitar. I couldn't wish for a better guitar. But like I said before there might be a better one and it's probably in TTMs showroom right now so I can't give this one a 10 but I would. I love everything about it. // 9

More TTM Supershop Guitars reviews rating category latest review